• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Favorite Character [Spoilers]

I wouldn't say I disliked her, but I was really hoping Mina would do more. Yes, we get to battle her post game amid the Beast Missions, but that's...really it~ I was sure she'd be in the E4 or something but no~ We got another random, Kahili, there~ I won't complain because it's not like it's mandatory for us to know all the E4 members (some Gens have spoiled us there), but that could have been a perfect place to put MIna and somehow it seemed wasted on Kahili, who could have given us the Flynium Z (which we also just get randomly like Fairum) at some Post-Game battle or something.

But honestly, this is the first time in a while I can't think of a character I outright hate~

I think Kahili should have been the champion. After hearing her mentioned as one of the strongest trainers in Alola during the demo from an NPC, I was surprised she was just on the elite four.

You can imagine my slightly irritated "What." When I found out who WAS the final fight for champion. You get off my mountain. Put a shirt on. You don't get to be the final battle. Before now I didn't even know you DID battle pokemon. Kahili should have gotten that spot not you. Mina could have done just fine on the elite four. Her fairies were annoying enough to be on that roster.

I felt lusmine was under developed she is ather president and has an issue with controlling others because her childern ran away. Fine thats cool, but why is she obsessed with ultra beasts? gladion explains it as their father went missing in a worm hole but then she should have an obsession about finding him not destorying alola with ultra beasts....

Also if she wanted to find him maybe she should have pressed x and clicked on pokepalgeo

I believe she has been poisoned by Nihilego and her inner desire and instinct overpower her decision to find his husband

My least favorite character will be Hau he is definitely another lackluster rival along with him having a starter weak against yours well he definitely take the cake for the worst rival yet

As for Mina i think that GF missed the opportunity for her to have a better trial

Also i think what they did with Kahili was understandable since she was outside the region and just got invited to be an elite four and since poni has no kahuna when Kukui created the league it's understandable that he will invite someone else to fill the spot and who would be better for the position but none other than a former trial champion

Ryuki and Maloyne was another missed oppurtunity for GF they should have made Ryuki another trial captain and Maloyne an elite four rather than Acerola

Or they could have made both Acerola and Maloyne E4 then Kahili as a Champion since she was a former trial champion but hopefully we will see a better lineup for E4 and gym leader for pokemon stars if ever that happen and become a sequel

Last edited:
I get your points with Mina and Kahili. :) But my least favorite character is the silent protagonist. They need to change this at some point. It is boring.. They kept praising me for changing them all to better persons and telling me that I was special. I did nothing! I said nothing! I just beat a lot of people .. Boooring.. I would have loved to have played more of a Lillie character..

Nanu!

These people exist in real life, constantly miserable and down, always killing the mood for everyone else, a complete downer.
Exactly!
I don't see the point of giving a grumpy old man so much screen time!
It's ok if he appears once in a while, but the fact that he's involved with many things just kills it for me.

Hau. Just Hau.

I loved all of the other characters and found them to be believable, quirky, or likeable. Even the depressing guy Nanu was likeable just because of how much of a breath of fresh air he was from the usual, non-stop artificial happiness of most Pokemon characters.

But Hau is the embodiment of that artificial, child-friendly happiness. I felt like they put him in there just to add some levity to the admittedly dark (for a Pokemon game, anyway) story. Because they were afraid to commit fully to having more depth and seriousness in their characters. As someone else stated, every time he showed up, I wanted to punch him in the face. He even made me dislike Alolan Raichu because he used it so damn much and now it reminds me of him. I just tried to pretend he wasn't there, pretty much, as he was irrelevant to the main Aether Foundation storyline I found to be the most interesting anyway. (I replaced him in my head with my husband, who was also playing his own version alongside me)

I get your points with Mina and Kahili. :) But my least favorite character is the silent protagonist. They need to change this at some point. It is boring.. They kept praising me for changing them all to better persons and telling me that I was special. I did nothing! I said nothing! I just beat a lot of people .. Boooring.. I would have loved to have played more of a Lillie character..
100% agreed with this too. With how much I connected and related to Lillie, it felt rather empty to see my character not only unable to respond fully, but making that same, creepy and vacant smile in reaction to just about everything.

I definitely agree with the consensus here that Mina was pretty lackluster. It was an interesting prospect to have a character who was green to the Trial Captain thing, but they really don't do much with her. She's pretty much just at the final area to give you the Z-Crystal, and while she appears once more in a sidequest, it felt out of place compared to the other characters involved in it. I think they should've done more to develop her as a newbie to being a Trial Captain, like maybe have us do a couple minor tasks for her while she experiments, but she's pretty much just 'there' as a character.

Hau I also agree is pretty lacking, I don't mind happy-go-lucky characters, in fact they can be enjoyable in stories that have a lot of serious moments (like this one does), but I never got attached to him in the same way I did the others. Despite their flaws, I could get behind those like Gladion and Lillie because their stories did get me interested in their characters, but Hau just feels like he's supposed to be the positive foil to everyone, especially Gladion, and aside from a couple moments (such as with the aforementioned Gladion and Faba) he doesn't do enough to really get me interested in his character. What makes it worse for me is that he does have a couple things of interest to his character such as wanting to surpass his grandfather (and Gladion even implies it's a deeper aspect then he lets on) and wanting to find his father, but they do little with it outside of a few lines and he mostly stays as his usual happy self. I honestly would've liked to see more of his character, and while I'm not looking for a sob story, I would've liked to see more depth from him since as he is, he feels very static as a character.

Mina triggered me. And, though I do respect all opinions, so do people who dislike Lillie (Though if you hate her, it's your opinion and I'm not going to fight).
I'm kinda upset that Mina didn't have a trial, though we do battle her a few times (Her Ribombee almost swept my slow team, until I remembered Sylveon had Light Screen). What I hate, though, is that she gives you the Fairium Z right off the bat without giving us a good battle, I was looking forward for a good battle with her or a good trial, but nope.

I have a theory as to why Mina and Kahili turned out the way they did: the game is unfinished. I know that you were originally going to be able to go onto the golf course at the Hano Grand Resort, but they blocked it off in the final game. I think that, had Game Freak had a bit more development time, Kahili would've been a Trial Captain, and her trial would've been on that golf course. A similar situation might've happened with Mina.
Also we are missing the National Dex, which has been in the game since Gen III, as well as some other stuff I can't remember... We will have the Pokemon Bank update, and maybe we will get an update to Pokemon Sun and Moon for extra content (Though I think, besides Smash 4, this didn't happen in any other game).

I've changed my mind a bit regarding this matter. While Nanu is still very low on my list, the postgame events do expand on his background, which makes his depressing personality more understandable. It still doesn't excuse his very depressing nature and how he almost drags down the atmosphere whenever he's around, but at least postgame did give him a bit more to work with. Now he's just one rank higher than my new least favorite character.

Mina. She is so... emotionless. Just kinda... there. Very lackluster. The emotionless nature she possesses just makes her seem so... pointless. When it came to emotionless natures, Courtney did it right, as she could pull it off while still blending in some interesting quirks to make her unique. Mina is just so... bland. Valerie was a better Fairy Trainer than Mina, who feels like she has no soul, making her feel like she's just a wondering, empty shell. So now she's my least favorite character. At least with Nanu, some of his background in the postgame explained a few things about his depressing ways. And at least depression contains more emotion than the emptiness that is Mina's personality.

Acerola definitely. I don't hate her but she seems like a Creator's Pet, showing everywhere during the second half for Ulaula, and then becoming the first character ever to became both a "Gym leader" and a part of the Elite 4 simultaneously. Her design is quite generic and she never develops despite all the attention she recieves. It seems to me that she became Elite 4 just for keeping the "Odd-numbered gen has a Ghost elite 4" pattern.

Second place is Mina. She is quite plain and her reason for not having a trial comes out as laziness rather than a part of her personality. I hope Tapu Fini disciplines her. :whistle:

Hapu was by far my least favorite. Her dialogue was really badly written; she struck me as annoyingly pretentious, and she appeared so many times in the game for no real reason.

I don't dislike Kahili, but she felt like kind of a waste of a character. It was a shame we didn't get to meet her before the Elite Four.

and then becoming the first character ever to became both a "Gym leader" and a part of the Elite 4 simultaneously.

This doesn't have any inherent merit as an accomplishment beyond whatever we place on it, though. And it seems odd to single Acerola out - Hala and Olivia function just as similarly (if not more) to "Gym Leaders" throughout the main campaign, and they are also Elite Four members. Story-wise, Acerola is there for perfectly sound reasons. We know that the Trial Captains have all completed the island challenge themselves (and Kukui was specifically drafting people who had done such), and we are also told that Nanu turned down the position (because of course he would). Acerola is close to Nanu, and has the credentials. She also appears to have the most free time, given that she's a jobless orphan, while all of the other Captains have responsibilities (aside from Mina, but one could certainly question her fitness for such a position). With all of that in mind, Acerola is a logical choice.

Last edited:
Lana because she was the first person to kill one of my beloved Pokemon in my nuzlocke! And seemed so smug about it, filthy.

In all serious I don't particularly dislike any of the characters. Faba's weird but eh, I don't think much of him. If anything I'm a little disappointed with Hau because he could have been a far better companion but... I found Gladion filled his void better. And the fact Hau kept smiling at really bad times (basically any time Lillie was having a moment or any sad or serious part in the game you could see he was just smiling... why).

I'm sad to see so many people dislike Nanu, as I loved him :p I just have a thing for grumpy characters that are actually nice deep down. And I thought his grumpiness was actually pretty funny. Didn't mind Mina either, she's just new to the job and it isn't like she doesn't care, she's just still working on the perfect trial. I would have preferred if she'd been a Captain on Akala on Ula'ula though, since there's already a huge lack of trials on the last island.

The characters I disliked the most are Hau and Lillie. I know a lot of people loved Lillie and yeah her character development is cool, but I just found her annoying. First of all, her "I don't like Pokémon battles but I'll still watch yours cause we're friends" thing. That's like saying you're a vegetarian but you'll eat meat with your friend because you're friends :p I wouldn't have minded a character that actually dislikes Pokémon battles and walks away whenever you have one or at least disproves of it, but she only says it and doesn't act like it at all.

Secondly, yes I get it, you changed outfit and you're going to get stronger. No need to repeat that every damn time I see you, which is like every 5 minutes. And doing that pose each time she heals me -_-

And Hau is just meh. He's a better friendly rival than those in XY, but he's way too happy and especially during times he shouldn't be. Would've loved it if he'd been a lot more serious during the whole saving Lillie thing, so he'd gotten some character development too: from a happy, carefree guy to someone who's really serious about getting stronger so he can protect those he cares about. Again he only says he wants to get stronger, but never really acts like it.

I also agree with those that say Lusamine could've been improved more, we never really got an explanation about why she was so obsessed with the Ultra Beasts. Yeah her husband disappeared, but shouldn't that make her hate the Beasts, instead of obsessively love them? It was just really weird and her story could've used some more building up.

I'm gonna preface this post with a disclaimer. I do not really hate any character in the games. but I do find these characters "meh" at best.
  • Kahili: Mainly due to the contrast she has with the rest of the Elete 4. The other 3 members are all people we know and encountered throughout the islands and Kukui seemed to make it clear that he wanted the kahunas to fill the spot (I can only speculate that his draft was at the very latest, concurrent with our trek through Poni or our "raid" on the Aether Paradise.)
  • Mina: I feel like more could had been done with her in general. She just shows up, hands us the Z-Crystal and leaves. Her actual trial (or an attempt at such) came at a later (as in most likely post game) point. So much potential, wasted.
On a side note, i can understand why people could hate Nanu, and to a lesser extent, Lillie and Hau. Nanu's a Debbie Downer who is the most like to have "Crawling in my Skin" as his battle theme (actually I would enjoy hearing that. Pokemon could use some battle tracks with Vocals), and Lillie and Hau are overused archetypes within Japanese media and the franchise respectably. I get that nothing's new under the Sun (or Moon) but I can also see how repetition can tick people off.

Last edited:
Can we talk about Rotom? He is like the microsoft help agent years ago..
Yes, that is MY least favourite character if it counts as one. To the point where I would deliberately avoid looking at the bottom screen for about 10 seconds after any story development... I don't want your take on it Rotom, I really don't.

I strongly suspect I'm going to end up going with Lusamine, much as Gladion and especially Lillie got on my nerves. Her character is all over the place, and so is the story - the Nihilego poisoning and melodramatic family issues papers over a character who is mostly evil just because the story requires her to be evil

Lusamine. She's talked about as having been this loving wife and mother, yet every time we see her she doesn't care about her husband or her children. She's... well, to be blunt, she's a badly-written sociopath.

I mean, I can get behind a sociopath being a villain if they're well-written (and there are some out there), but most of the time they're pretty much a walking cliche. And Lusamine is definitely a walking cliche.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom