• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least favorite pokemon game?

Least favorite pokemon game?

• Red/Blue/Yellow

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Gold/Silver/Crystal

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Black/white/2

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
As much as I loved Hoenn, I have to say R/S/E. It had the second best plot behind B/W(yes, I liked its environmental message), but no memorable characters other than Steven, Maxie, Archie, and Wallace. Brendan/May are my least favorite player characters to play as; they're designs just scream "I'm trying way too hard to be a badass trainer". I've warmed up to a lot of the pokemon, but they're still too digimon-ish for me(I love Digimon, but I'm playing Pokemon so I expect pokemon).

Definitely Gen 4, i own both Diamond and Platinum but i could never really get into either, they just felt to normal for a pokemon game, even the strange and fantastic stuff felt kinda forced and boring. Gen 4 also got rid of a few of the things i loved in previous gens like pokeblocks and added a whole bunch of unnecessary evolutions (Not counting the new Eeveelutions, they're awesome) and per-evolutions.
I was so glad that when black and white would be starting over with all new pokemon and everything, it really helped me get over how unsatisfactory gen 4 was.
(Heartgold and soulsilver don't count as gen 4 in my opinion because they're remakes)

Ruby and Sapphire for me. It wasn't because of the Pokemon or the Region, it had everything to do with me having to leave my old friends from the glory days. Those few precious level 100s--including my very first Pokemon ever, my Venusaur Bruticus--are gone and there was nothing I could do to save them. Yeah, the lack of backwards compatibility really killed it for those two games. (And no, I wasn't planning on sending them over immediately and owning the game with them. I just wanted the chance to bring them over and keep them with me, as they had helped me so much in the past.)

That and the bike tricks didn't help matters any. I can't get to this area because I have the wrong bike so I have to go all the way back and switch the thing out?! Um, no thanks. That's not fun at all. :sweat:

A close second would have to be Pearl, simply because it's so blasted slow. Even "running" is slow in that game. But I love a lot of the Fourth Gen 'Mons so it's kinda moot.

Yea the Hoenn bike things are really annoying, but I loved the game. I don't really like the originals (please, no one attack me for this). Their plot is pretty bland and I don't like many of the pokes, besides a few lines and the legendaries. My favorite was Pt because it was the first game I beat and my Torterra is perfect. I also didn't like the GSC that much either, Bbut I didn't play the originals just HGSS so if I did, I probably would have a different opinion. But, I did play RSE, so thats why I'm dying for their remakes

All the main Pokemon games are great but my least favorite is Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. The D/P games are bland & slow. Platinum however was a huge improvement.

Platinum/Diamond/Pearl.
I honestly can't find one thing I liked about them. I have never finished any of these games either. I don't even think I accumulated all of the gym badges. The Sinnoh Games just put me to sleep.

GSC. I never figured how to get to the Pokeleague even though I read loads of walkthroughs. I suck >_<
Worst was D/P/P. I tried it somewhere else and it was damn freaking slow and at the start u had to run back and forth so i never had it.
Why do people hate RSE? Water routes are awesome cuz its good grinding for your electric and grass pokes and u can go like ANYWHERE!

Last edited:
I've loved all the main series games and I have played at least one or both of each generation. I have to say though that Emerald was my least favorite along with DP. I really enjoyed R/S but I couldn't really get into Emerald at all. Then with DPPt it was the opposite, I loved Platinum ( it is one of my favorites) but couldn't get into DP at all.

I think it is because I go in waves about how I feel about a Pokemon game. I'm either really excited for a certain game to come out or I could care less because I have burnt myself out on Pokemon for a while. Right now I am pretty excited for BW2, the 5th gen. has been one of my favorites actually I'd say its second behind G/S/C or HGSS (I count them on the same level because HGSS are just remakes).

GSC/HGSS.

IMO Generation II related games are pretty much boring.

For the people saying they don't like RBY as much, I ask them to judge them relative to their time. By today's standards, yeah they kinda suck, but for 1996 they were amazing. Blue is easily one of my favorite games ever, once again, for its time. I would have a hard time playing it today, and I don't want to play it today for nostalgic reasons.

Back to the question, while I still liked it, Pearl is probably my least favorite. The game didn't really add a whole lot from RSE I don't think, and I don't think the game was as well thought out. There are too many legendary Pokemon just because. Why does Cresselia exist? She starts roaming around after you beat the E4 I believe and then ok, I've got another mediocre Psychic type. Woohoo. The three little fairy legendaries are all the same. Shaymin and Darkrai confuse me; why add them if 90% of the people will never be able to legitimately get them? I feel similarly about Deoxys, but he seems like a genuinely well thought-out Pokemon and something that you would treasure should you get ahold of. Shaymin and Darkrai seem stupid to me. Then, there's the whole layout of the region. You've got a big ol' mountain range bisecting it. This makes it a pain to get places in the early stages of the game and makes the whole region just feel disconnected. Also, there are only two fire types. In the whole freakin' place. One of which is a starter. I don't want swirly-nipple Infernape, and that leaves me with Rapidash or Rapidash. One element of balance I don't think they addressed.

So yeah, for me its easily the Sinnoh games.

IMO it's B/W, due to the lack of pokémon from previous regions, the bad design for 90% of the pokémon and a few other things.
Then I would say Sinnoh.

I can honestly say I have never hated a Pokemon game because I have played at least one of all of the generations. When I was younger I used to play through all three of them. However if I were to pick my least favourite I would say it was a toss up between R/S/E and D/P/Plt. The reason for the former is because of the sheer amount of surfing you had to do to get around. As someone who finds the encounter rate appalling, even when you're using repels, it was so annoying. However I did like the characters of Brendan and May (Ruby and Sapphire), design wise.

My dislike of D/P is simply put down to the fact that it feels a bit behind of the graphics. When you compare it to HeartGold and SoulSilver, which was brought out just shortly after, there felt like a bit of a step between them. Plt was an improvement on that factor but... I guess I felt that the whole storyline was just a little slow. Again Plt improved upon the storyline. But the thing that clinches the dislike of D/P/Plt for me is the snowy areas. They are so annoying to have to push your way through. They seriously make you never want to go there again. It's almost as annoying as the ridiculously long time it takes you to surf anywhere in that game too.

My favourite though I can honestly say is a toss up between Yellow, Crystal and Black. I loved those games. Crystal, god. The best thing about that I remember was the fact that you got to play as your own gender. To a 10 year old that was amazing!

Gotta be D/P/Pl. The games weren't really exciting, and I wasn't very happy with so few choices of Pokemon on your journey to the Elite 4. I wasn't much of a fan of the Gen 4 Pokemon in general.

I did however like the VS seeker. 'Tis how I got several Pokemon to lvl 100. And it provided a good way to earn some money, too.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom