• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Favorite Saga

Least Favorite Saga?

• Kanto

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Johto

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Battle Frontier

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Best Wishes

Votes: 54 45.8%
  • Kalos

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Sun and Moon

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Journeys

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
Alola, Kanto, Johto, Best wishesh, Journeys when it comes to take on gyms, league and amount of battles used abilities and strategies with swtiching, type immunities and other stuff...

they had some great battles but the fact that teams where unevolved and oponents had medicore teams....
It's understandable, I enjoyed the battle focus with the XY and DP series, @Matleo Which one do you personally find the worst out of those you listed?

Last edited:
I liked that the slice of life tone of Sun and Moon allowed the ensemble cast to be explored and developed, which is a vast improvement on the characters of the day who would populate the filler episodes of previous series. Using the school as a home base was a change I can appreciate, building up the local area and its inhabitants as a home base town, which has carried over into the Journeys series with the Cerise Lab.

The sheer amount of forgettable filler didn’t help Johto, and Misty and Brock generally contributed little to episodes being being travelling companions. Unlike Kanto there wasn’t a rival figure across the Johto seasons and Johto exclusives like the apricorn balls were under-utilised.

Last edited:
Also to give a bit more meat to the idea that Sun and Moon is still better than Best Wishes, and that has to do with the Rocket Trio.

Credit where it's due first of all is that BW was at least will to let them be absent from an episode and even a stretch of the series. Now:

1. Barring the subplot leading to the scrapped Team Plasma episode, their usually series long goals of stealing Pikachu and other Pokémon isn't allowed to be successful. The former I get couldn't work long term, but the anime isn't shy about going with a serious tone from time to time and should have tried to allow for them to at least succeed in some poaching. Can't claim them to be competent threats if they aren't allowed a clear victor.

Especially with Dogasu's example here: Japanese Episode BW 048

Yeah their loss isn't the result of the protagonist outwitting them (especially BW Ash :LOL:)

I mean Captain Planet even ended an episode where Looten Plunder clear cuts a forest without any form of comeuppance, while laughing in the face of the heroes. And this from a country more prone to watering down it's children entertainment.

Sun and Moon at least had the Trio defeating Ash in episode 12 and from an entry not trying to convince us how bad they are.:p

2. Oddly enough other critics of BW don't seem to note such often, but intentional or no part of trying to make them serious didn't leave much room for their more humane/less villainous side, whereas Sun and Moon did so.

Yeah between the lack of BW episodes that give us some non villainous moments from the Trio and merely making their increased threat status just being in mannerisms, it's hard not to believe the missteps from this season being more spiteful than anything.

Interestingly, Both BW and SM had altermatives to TR's usual blast-offs: BW trio had infamous jetpacks that save them from final attacks, SM trio had the ultimate gag pokémon Kiteruguma that "save them" even if they don't need saving.

I adored Sun and Moon! Early BW was when my interest in the series peaked but SuMo grew to be very important to me. I really came to love Alola's region design, setting, characters, and how close/akin to family everyone was. It made me happy, and I'll probably keep missing it for a long time. I can still understand why some people put BW and SuMo at the bottom of their lists, I'm just not one of those people personally.

My opinion is unpopular from both my favorites and least favorites though lol, since for me I definitely have to put Diamond and Pearl at the bottom. I never got attached to the region or characters (including Paul, a usual fan favorite) despite trying, and never finished watching the series. The colors seemed a bit dull/washed out for me compared to some other sagas too, though that's also just personal preference. I can definitely see why it was popular, it just wasn't for me I suppose. =(

My opinion is unpopular from both my favorites and least favorites though lol, since for me I definitely have to put Diamond and Pearl at the bottom. I never got attached to the region or characters (including Paul, a usual fan favorite) despite trying, and never finished watching the series. The colors seemed a bit dull/washed out for me compared to some other sagas too, though that's also just personal preference. I can definitely see why it was popular, it just wasn't for me I suppose. =(

DP is my overall favorite but I was never crazy about its color scheme either.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom