• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least favorite starter?

Least favorite starter?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Charmander

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 31 19.1%
  • Chikorita

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • Totodile

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Treecko

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Torchic

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Piplup

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 37 22.8%
  • Snivy

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Tepig

Votes: 48 29.6%

• Total voters
Kanto: My least favorite starter here is Bulbasaur. I do like him but I just have more love for Charmander and Squirtle.

Johto: This one is close between Totodile and Chikorita but I guess I'll say Chikorita here. Again, just like Bulbasaur it's not bad but I prefer the other two.

Hoenn: Mudkip, without a single doubt. Treecko's line is overall pretty cool and while Torchic and Combusken are meh I do really like Blaziken as well. Mudkip and its evolutions are just there. The only reason it was relevant for me is because it was the strongest out of the three so I ended up picking it sometimes for an easier playthrough.

Sinnoh: This one would be Piplup. It's alright but its not really my taste, I like Turtwig and Chimchar's lines better.

Unova: Tepig, definitely. Oshawott is neat, Snivy isn't bad but Tepig and especially his evolutions are just pure shit.

Kalos: Chespin, for one reason and one reason only and that is the abomination of his second stage. Quilladin has a design that is even worse than Bidoof. If not for Quilladin, I would have gone with Fennekin's line because it's relatively boring to me.

Overall I'll have to go with Tepig. Chespin came close but at least I somewhat like Chesnaught, Emboar on the other hand is the most underwhelming fully-evolved starter ever.

I'll have to go with Oshawott on this one. When it was revealed, I thought it was fake because the design was so silly. I'm not a big fan of any of its evolutions design-wise, either. Also, maybe I'm biased because I love pigs, but I actually think Tepig is adorable... Ah, well! More fiery pigs for me. XD

Probably Tepig and Froakie. Tepig's evolutions are kinda ugly to me, not to mention that they're the 3rd fire/fighting starter evolutions in a row. Froakie itself is also ugly in the games, but his anime artwork is a bit more bearable. I also don't really mind Frogadier, but I'll need to see the final evolution to base my final opinion on the line.

Well since I now know of Froakie's final form, I can give my final answer. Basically my choices remain the same. Greninja is totally hideous imo so for both of these starters, I only like one Pokemon in their evolution family. Therefore they're both my least favorites.

I do not know if I posted in this thread. So I apologize if I already did.

My least favorite starter Pokémon is Chespin. But of all the starter Pokémon that I have chosen, it would be Piplup. I love it's final evolution but I don't like Piplup that much.

I'd have to go with Bulbasaur for this one. It just doesn't really stand out to me.

Although my least favorite starter I've actually used goes to Oshawott for being kind of forgettable compared to my other starters. Swampert and Chesnaught were awesome and Blastoise and Torterra were pretty neat, but Samurott was just Samurott. It was a dual-wielding sea otter, but it was still just... Samurott.

I like Tepig, Chmchar, and Chikorita a lot despite them being the most disliked starters on this list.

Tepig and Pikachu are the bottom of the barrel for me. Tepig's evolutions are as ugly as sin and are Blaziken/Infernape without any of the qualities that made them cool or at least useful in-game. It's level up movepool is hilariously bad (no Close Combat and Fire Punch without tutor is blasphemy) and it's stat placements are badly distributed.

Pikachu is what happens when we take a Pokemon who's as strong as a basic early game mon, make it useless against the first gym and lock it out of evolving making sure it falls behind at mid game. I never even got my Pikachu past level 9 in Yellow I used Nidoking for most of the early game and swapped out Pikachu for Bulbasaur as soon as I get to Cerulean City. And I am so sick and tired of seeing that thing everywhere.

Chikorita, simply because Gen II is the Gen that I played for the first time ever, and being a young lad, you make the crucial mistake of overlevelling and over-reliance on your starter. And considering what the first two Gyms of Johto were, and what Chikorita's type is, I'm sure you can put the two and two together.

The reason why I ended up aborting my run with Chikorita. It really does not help that none of the Gyms in Johto are weak against Chikorita, and the two or three Gyms that are weak against it are after the Elite 4.

Piplup, simply cause I don't like its design, same goes for its evolutions. Tepig is a close second for the same reasons.

Froakie would actually be my least favourite if it wasn't for Greninja who looks pretty cool.

I chose Tepig in White, raised it to be a Level 100 Emboar... and I fucking hate the thing.

Torchic, Chimchar, and Tepig. I like Fire types, but the whole Fire/Fighting thing is lame now. I'm also not really a huge fan of their designs.

really loathe the cyndaquil line, because of some of the fans I know

in terms of design empoleon and charizard are probs my least favorites, both are ugly

in terms of design empoleon and charizard are probs my least favorites, both are ugly

And you claim Stunfisk isn't?

I seem to be one of the few who likes Empoleon's design. I like the concept of a literal emperor penguin.

My least favorites besides Pikachu, which I don't particularly count, are Chikorita, Tepig, and Snivy. At least, those are my 3 least favorites. Chikorita is cute, but it's so weak. Tepig was the third Fire/Fighting in a row and I was damn sick of that. Twice was plenty, if not too much already. 3 in a row was atrocious. And Snivy was cool at first, but was lackluster in type and stats in general.

Mudkip is my number one least favorite. Ugly! I also hate Oshawatt with a passion, creepy, terrible design. With me, a good pokemon means good design. Lastly, I don't like Chimchar, for ripping off Torchic, my favorite fire starter. And, really? Another monkey? Of course, some of you will be asking why not Tepig, too, beacuse Tepig also has the Fire-Fighting combo. Or at least Emboar does. Well, the only explanation I have for that? I started playing the TGC in Gen 5, and Emboar, the 1st edition version, was one of the first cards I got. I remember having to trade half my deck for that card. It was a holo, too. Speaking of Emboar, I saw something called Ten Things Katy Perry looked like at the Halftime show of the worst defeat of the best team in football, and it included Katniss Everdeen, and Emboar. This means that Pokemon is finally getting acknowledged as a cultural landmark! WOO HOO! We did it, Pokefans!!!!

So sad to see Tepig having the most votes. ;.;

I personally cannot stand the Generation IV starters. They are so lackluster and forgettable.

I know how it feels girl. I know it. :(

I actually do hate Tepig's evolutions, but his cuteness in enough for me to forgive the whole line. While I don't really hate any starters, I have to agree with the Sinnoh ones being the worst. If you showed me any group of starters and asked "Which one do you like best?", the Sinnoh ones are the only ones I wouldn't have a clear and definite answer to.

I don't really have a least favourite... I've played through with all of them and have a fond attachment to all of them...

Maybe Greninja because I dislike how GF treats it like a God and neglects the other starters far more severely than Charizard neglects the others. However I do love Greninja despite this.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom