• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Favourite Legendaries?

My hatred for all the regis, but especially Regice, is bonded with fear from watching the Lucario and the Mystery of Mew movie. I talk about it a lot, but I just do not like these guys. I wish I liked them ore, but I just can't.

Meloetta is a weird one for me too. I can respect it more these days than I used to. But I was so wanting a legendary Pokemon that was so bonded with music and then we got Meloetta and I was just... disappointed. Saddens me really that I can't like this thing.

mewtwo, keldeo, zeraora, dialga, palkia, giratina-altered, arceus, zekrom, terrakion, cobalion, shaymin-sky, and darkrai are legendaries that I hate. They are all so ugly. To a lesser extent, I dislike tornadus, thundorus, landorus, and virizion too.

Last edited:
Looking back I realized I’m really not a big fan of half of the trios. The Regis were always a pain to get so I never bothered and I was never a fan of their facelessness. It was kind of cool that they continued in the next gen with Regigigas, even though I wasn’t a huge fan of his design either.

The lake trio was part of the one set of games in the series that I never played and always struck me as generic. Out of them I actually like Azelf, but the other two just feel forced to me and Uxie’s eyes kinda creep me out.

The last group of legendaries I have gripes with are the Forces of Nature. After the major success that was the Swords of Justice, I didn’t feel we needed another legendary trio and as someone else mentioned they have the bizarre “old man with a mustache” design that is very unsettling. The real clincher for me, though, was listening to the PUCL podcast and being reminded of the ubiquity of Landorus-T in the competitive scene. On the plus side we did get our first pure Flying type mon and that was pretty cool.

The middle gens (3, 4 and 5) is where I heard a lot of people complain about “legendary overload” and the insistence on all these trios was a major contributor to that. So maybe that’s another underlying reason I don’t care for these guys so much. Not that a lot of the one-offs weren’t problematic (Why do Heatran, Shaymin and Meloetta need to be special? They work just as effectively as common Pokémon), but I wish they had focused more on making some of the other legendaries the best they could be instead of feeling they had to give us yet another trio.

A lot of them. Mainly for me disliking their designs.

Regirock, Registeel, Regice, and Regigigas all are incredibly boring-looking in design and I don't like them at all.
Latios and Latias are also super boring and I hate how they look so much like palette swaps of each other. Gen III had way too many legendaries and like half of them were bad.
Phione. Why does this even exist.
Azelf, Uxie, and Mesprit are weird because I wouldn't mind any of them individually, but having three of them is overkill and they're not memorable enough to be that good in a generation that also had way too many legendaries.
Heatran I often forget even exists and I don't think it looks cool enough to be a legendary. It looks like it'd be a regular, no-evolution Pokemon.
Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus are awful. Some of my least favorite Pokemon from a design standpoint in the entire franchise.
All of the Tapu guardians because I just can't think of them as legendaries in my mind since they just don't look like they should be.

mewtwo, keldeo, zeraora, dialga, palkia, giratina-altered, arceus, zekrom, terrakion, cobalion, shaymin-sky, and darkrai are legendaries that I hate. They are all so ugly. To a lesser extent, I dislike tornadus, thundorus, landorus, and virizion too.

I forgot about the Kami Pokemon. God, they looked so awful prior to their B2/W2 alternate forms, which I still think were only made as a way of ending the fan complaints about how the originals were copy-pastes of each other.

Arceus is also really overrated and I loathe it to death, but Mewtwo's still worse because it has 20 years worth of hype.

Mewtwo, for starters. Not only is it so over-rated since the Gen 1 days, but it's gotten so much glorification over the years that it puts even Charizard to shame. Plus the fact it got 2 Megas (and ugly ones at that) only worsened it to me. I don't care if it's the "original" legendary, it's hideous and over-saturated in the series.

Second place goes to Lugia, as I just don't get it. It's a Psychic/Flying... dragon... dinosaur... bird... thing, that has control over the sea or something and is the "head honcho" or whatnot of the legendary birds? I really don't understand it at all, yet it always, always is loved by the fandom. I just don't see what makes it appealing.

Third place goes to the Regi Trio. By that, I mean Regirock, Regice, and Registeel, as I actually like Regigigas (it struck a chord with me for some reason, plus it had a really memorable role in Adventures, going to one of my favorite protags: Diamond, which only endeared it to me more). Not only do I not like the Regi Trio's odd, almost robotic appearances (and they act rather robotic, for that matter), but they legitimately scared me during the Lucario movie way back in the day. Plus, they are (or were, at this point) owned by Brandon in the anime, who I REALLY didn't like (except when he whupped Paul big time, which was pretty much the only time I was rooting for Mr. Pyramid King). So, yeah, while their "boss" I actually like, the trio themselves I'd rather not bother with.

Mewtwo, for starters. Not only is it so over-rated since the Gen 1 days, but it's gotten so much glorification over the years that it puts even Charizard to shame. Plus the fact it got 2 Megas (and ugly ones at that) only worsened it to me. I don't care if it's the "original" legendary, it's hideous and over-saturated in the series.

Second place goes to Lugia, as I just don't get it. It's a Psychic/Flying... dragon... dinosaur... bird... thing, that has control over the sea or something and is the "head honcho" or whatnot of the legendary birds? I really don't understand it at all, yet it always, always is loved by the fandom. I just don't see what makes it appealing.

Third place goes to the Regi Trio. By that, I mean Regirock, Regice, and Registeel, as I actually like Regigigas (it struck a chord with me for some reason, plus it had a really memorable role in Adventures, going to one of my favorite protags: Diamond, which only endeared it to me more). Not only do I not like the Regi Trio's odd, almost robotic appearances (and they act rather robotic, for that matter), but they legitimately scared me during the Lucario movie way back in the day. Plus, they are (or were, at this point) owned by Brandon in the anime, who I REALLY didn't like (except when he whupped Paul big time, which was pretty much the only time I was rooting for Mr. Pyramid King). So, yeah, while their "boss" I actually like, the trio themselves I'd rather not bother with.
I personally really agree with your first two choices, I feel pretty much the same way about Mewtwo and Lugia. However, Regice and Registeel in particular are some of my favorites, and I liked ‘em with Brandon and in the Lucario movie, so I can’t really resonate with that last paragraph :v

I'm not a fan of the following ones: Arceus, Darkrai, Terrakion, Virizion, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Zygarde 100% and Zeraora. Quite a lot, but they just don't appeal to me.

I know it is actually a Mythical, but I've grown to really dislike Volcanion. Not only does it look ugly, it also has no backstory in the games whatsoever and can't learn Surf and Waterfall for some reason. I was hoping the first Pokemon with such a unique typing to be more memorable.

I realized I forgot about the Tapus. Started not liking them for similar reasons to Meta Boss; I’m still not comfortable with the whole “Pokémon as gods” idea, though I’ve worked out my own headcanons that puts Arceus and the gang in a similar position to “guardian angels”/Tolkien’s Valar.

My main issues with them now are that 2 of them look awkward and overdesigned in my opinion (Koko and Bulu, Lele and Fini are better in this regard), they seem to overcentralize the meta in a similar way as Landorus-T, and depending on how you classify the Ultra Beasts it’s another generation with way too many “legendaries”.

I always prefer a “less is more” approach to legendaries for the sake of immersion since it’s not like everyone would be running around with these supposedly super rare Pokémon realistically.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom