• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least Favourite Water Starter

Least Favourite water starter

• Squirtle

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • Totodile

Votes: 55 20.4%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Piplup

Votes: 84 31.2%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 71 26.4%

• Total voters
Oshawott. The entire evolutionary line is garbage. The pure-water type is played out, the design is confusing, to say the least, and competitively I could get better results with a Swiffer WetJet.

Heh, my opinion hasn't changed since 2012, apparently? Well, as I mentioned in my last post here, the Empoleon line is my least favorite cause Prinplup and Empoleon look fucking stupid. For the sake of mentioning somefin new, I'm really not a fan of Samurott. Wouldn't say it looks bad, I just really don't care about it for some reason. I at least kinda sorta like all of the other water-starters at the very least.

I like them all to a degree but I'll have to say Totodile. Its design doesn't stand out that much and Feraligatr's attack is very disappointing. I'm also not fond of Piplup's horrendous early game. Then there's the anime to consider.

105 attack with Sheer Force is disappointing? As for me, Oshawott due to how disappointing Samurott ended up being.

Piplup, I simply don't like it or any of it's evolutions design wise. Froakie is a close second, for the same reason.

Froakie. The design is just so plain, boring and ugly, and i hate greninja and his disgusting tongue scarf.

105 attack with Sheer Force is disappointing? As for me, Oshawott due to how disappointing Samurott ended up being.

I was speaking in the context of GSC and HGSS where it's a starter and outclassed rather easily by other water types especially Gyarados in the remakes. It's much better now. I found Oshawott good for an in game run in both Unova entries due to the strange lack of strong early water types.

Froakie is my least favourite Water starter. I just think it looks... well.... ugly. Then again, I'm not a huge frog person in real life. Greninja is is pretty overused as well and it gets way to much attention than what it deserves.
Since Froakie was not in the poll I voted for Mudkip, my second choice. Yeah it is kinda cute and it's evolutions are pretty cool, but it's not godly (which is how some people treat it), and it's really overrated because of the stupid 'I herd u leik Mudkipz' meme. Also the design is mediocre IMO compared to Water starters like Piplup and Totodile.

Oshawott is just so boring.

The run of Squirtle through Piplup gave us a good variety of water Pokemon, whilst Oshawott is literally Piplup 2 - similar design, general cute appeal..

I voted for Totodile and Piplup?! What the fu-!

Anyway, my opinions have changed on this matter and I'm saying Squirtle now. There's really not much that I find appealing in the whole line itself. Blastoise is certainly not my first choice for a Water type when the likes of Starmie exist. Now that's a Water type I'd use.

Totodile and subsequently Feraligatr are redeemed by Sheer Force and Dragon Dance, while Empoleon is coincidentally going to be my partner in both my most recent planned run of EoS and my first playthrough of SMD for its unique typing. Sure do wish I could change my votes because Blastoise has no such appeal. Not even the Mega helps unless we get an event Squirtle with Origin Pulse alongside Aura Sphere, lol.

Last edited:
I choose my favourite starters by their individual evolutionary stages, so just because I don't like a starter's base form, it doesn't mean I dislike its evolutions, or vice-versa.

Case in point with my least favourite basic starter. Swampert is easily one of my absolute favourite fully-evolved Water-type starters (it's tied with Greninja), but as Mudkip, it's my least favourite out of all seven basic Water starters. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually hate or dislike Mudkip - Who wouldn't find its derpy smile so adorable? - it just happens to rank seventh out of all seven base Water starters, beaten out even by Popplio, who manages to make my Top 10 basic starters overall. Mudkip does benefit from each evolution ranking higher on their lists, however, with Swampert being one of my favourite Stage 2 starters overall.

In terms of Stage 1 Water-type starters, both Wartortle and Prinplup rank equally as my least favourites. Squirtle and Piplup are both in my Top 10 basic starters, and Empoleon manages to rank higher than a few other fully-evolved Water-type starters (more on that later), but I just don't feel any sort of attachment to either of their inbetween stages. The Squirtle line in general is one I don't really choose in my playthroughs, mainly due to Bulbasaur and Charizard being imprinted as my favourites since the Gen I days (though Bulbasaur has dropped to equal third in my favourite basic Grass-type starters, tied with Turtwig), and when I first saw Prinplup I thought it looked too goofy for my liking.

Oh, Blastoise. Blastoise, Blastoise, Blastoise (I'll stop saying Blastoise in this post now). It suffers from the same issue as Wartortle, being that Bulbasaur and Charizard just appealed to me more (I was into dinosaurs and dragons at the time, and I still like the latter). It shares the bottom of the list with Feraligatr and Samurott. Whereas the Mudkip line gets better for me with each new evolution, the Totodile line is the complete opposite: Totodile is one of my favourite basic starters overall, then Croconaw drops down the favourite tier to somewhere in the lower-middle, before Feraligatr ends up right at the bottom alongside Blasty-turtle and Samurott. Dewott is awesome as it is. I'd rather not let mine evolve any further than Stage 1.

Sorry for that long description, everyone. To summarise my least favourite Water-type starters: Mudkip (Basic); Wartortle and Prinplup (Stage 1); and Blastoise, Feraligatr and Samurott (Stage 2).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom