• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Lectures, Openings and Endings

SandmanDPBeDoublEwe

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Why do Pokemon appearances in openings, endings and lectures not count? The section is titled "In the anime", not "Episode appearances". This means that "In the anime" is a spectrum not limited to the individual episodes, but the movies, shorts, openings, endings, and lectures. The narrow spectrum is baffling. It's like excluding any sidegame appearances for all the Pokemon like they never happened. I feel this is very necessary to address

The anime includes movies? I have no idea what the heck a lecture is.

He means Professor Oak's lectures that appear at the end of certain episodes only in Japan, where Oak gives a short feature on a Pokemon.

As for openings and endings, most of the Pokemon's appearances in those are just cameos that last for a couple of seconds. Pokemon make short appearances all the time in episodes, but that doesn't mean they are listed in every single episode or movie they appeared in. Openings and endings aren't notable enough.

He means Professor Oak's lectures that appear at the end of certain episodes only in Japan, where Oak gives a short feature on a Pokemon.

As for openings and endings, most of the Pokemon's appearances in those are just cameos that last for a couple of seconds. Pokemon make short appearances all the time in episodes, but that doesn't mean they are listed in every single episode or movie they appeared in. Openings and endings aren't notable enough.
True. I think you covered it. :3

How are openings and endings not notable?

How are openings and endings not notable?

Like Rai Marshall said, it's only a cameo appearance that lasts a few seconds. So not really notable.

As for lectures, I don't really count them as anime appearances, just like how we don't count WTP as anime appearances.

...Don't you think it would be no brainer that openings and ending themes aren't notable enough? Reread my post on why I don't think they're notable enough, I don't want to repeat myself. Maybe someone can explain it a bit better, but seriously, they're only like 1 - 3 seconds worth of appearance in the OPs and EDs without any real role in the them. I can understand lectures having a mention, but OPs and EDs? No.

I think that they're not notable enough because they don't really do anything in the openings and endings. They're just on screen for a bit then they disappear. Also, I think it's because there's alot of Pokemon shown in the openings. It'd be a hassle to write down all of them especially the opening which has hundreds of Pokemon in it (least it seems to be hundreds).

I think that they're not notable enough because they don't really do anything in the openings and endings. They're just on screen for a bit then they disappear. Also, I think it's because there's alot of Pokemon shown in the openings. It'd be a hassle to write down all of them especially the opening which has hundreds of Pokemon in it (least it seems to be hundreds).

Besides it wouldn't be useful to anyone knowing that.

We list the Pokémon and characters in the openings on the opening pages which are in turn listed on the episode pages. These Pokémon will not be included in the episode article character lists unless they appeared in the narrative sections of the episode. By your logic, Mewtwo and Mew appeared in every episode of the original series.

Regarding the lectures: only the focus Pokémon should be listed on the episode page. If another Pokémon makes a substantial appearance, they could be listed on the main "Professor Oak's Lecture" article. But generally there would be no need to list cameo appearances in this section.

My idea was for lectures to be added with a template, similar to how the anime Pokédex entries are done. But I don't think the argument that lectures, themes and WTP are not a part of the anime is good enough. Remember that movies and Pikachu shorts are also seperate from the episiodes, and some people consider the movies to be non-canon (lol).

Personally, I don't think it matters if an appearance is a cameo, an appearance is still an appearance, and calling an appearance a cameo is opinion anyway. And while cameos may not be that important, they're still notable enough to be included, and they dont harm the page, IMO. And if we did remove these appearances for being cameos (which would also include Pikachu colored Pichu's cameo in Get Fired up, Spiky-eared Pichu!, and Misty's cameo in High Touch!), the same would have to be applied to any cameos in episodes.

Regarding the lectures: only the focus Pokémon should be listed on the episode page. If another Pokémon makes a substantial appearance, they could be listed on the main "Professor Oak's Lecture" article.
I don't think that's ever happened, lectures just focus on one Pokémon at a time.

EDIT: I've made a future template for lectures in my userspace if anyone's interested.

User:Vuvuzela2010/Template:Animelecture - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Last edited:
My idea was for lectures to be added with a template, similar to how the anime Pokédex entries are done. But I don't think the argument that lectures, themes and WTP are not a part of the anime is good enough. Remember that movies and Pikachu shorts are also seperate from the episiodes, and some people consider the movies to be non-canon (lol).

Personally, I don't think it matters if an appearance is a cameo, an appearance is still an appearance, and calling an appearance a cameo is opinion anyway. And while cameos may not be that important, they're still notable enough to be included, and they dont harm the page, IMO. And if we did remove these appearances for being cameos (which would also include Pikachu colored Pichu's cameo in Get Fired up, Spiky-eared Pichu!, and Misty's cameo in High Touch!), the same would have to be applied to any cameos in episodes.

EDIT: I've made a future template for lectures in my userspace if anyone's interested.

User:Vuvuzela2010/Template:Animelecture - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Vuvu makes a very good point and is a huge boost. Besides, just because a Pokemon appears in a theme doesn't mean they appear in every episode the theme appears in. Honestly, that thinking is ludicrous.

Themes and lectures deserve to be mentioned. They are a still part of the production. The section is called "In the anime" not "Episode appearances"

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom