• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Left handers - more intelligent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm left-handed, and I am by far the smartest person I have ever known!

I knew a left handed person who started doing drugs, and other assorted foolish behavior.

So much for that theory. But this is another one of those "blondes are dumb", "italians do it better (that one however is quite true I will have you know :thumbup: )", etc...

You're intelligence is dependent upon how much you put into it, now what you write with.

You know, this debate always gets me. I'm left-handed, so I'm allowed to say it: left-handers are not more intelligent. True, while a preference for the left hand (or left side, sidedness is different) does play on how we use our brains and think, it's not exclusive. The brain has so many other things going on, it's not even a large factor. Now, what with all of the famous figures being left-handed, one could say that lefties have a higher likelihood of being a notable thinker/doer/what have you. That could be said.

But when it comes down to the general population, left-handers are not more intelligent. Just the same, really.

Though we are pretty damn cool. ;D

Many left handers arer actually ambidextrous.
They almost have to be, what with everything being demonstrated and built for right-handed people. I often complain most about the writing on pens, though. I know it says "BIC", but still...

about art i have noticed that the mistakes i make in my drawings,i can't see them(i am left handed)but my brother can point them out(he is right handed) and when i put my drawings in front of a mirror i can see what is he talking about. The same thing goes for my brother i can see the mistakes but he can't

I'm right-handed and doing pretty fine, thank you.
Actually, I haven't even noticed some left-handed people in my class. I think there's none, although I haven't paid alot of attention to it either, so it's difficult to say.

In general, maybe left-handed people are more intelligent, but I don't really know, as I haven't seen any conclusive evidence of this yet.

I'm a righty. I'm one of the few A students in my school, I am taking all of the advanced placement classes, and I'm also lead chair of the violin section in Orchestra and Jazz Band.

It's not that left-handed people are smarter than right-handed people, it's just that on average, there are more intelligent left handed individuals than the amount of intelligent of right handed individuals.

The one thing that I've noticed is that there is hardly any scientific discussion and it's all, "look how awesome I am! I'm (left/right)-handed and I'm really smart!" My question is, does anyone have any articles to try to prove anything?

I have no sources, but left handed people are better mental image manipulation than righties. They also have a larger percentage of mental and/or learning disorders. Right handed people are better at school.

I guess it balances out?

I have no sources, but left handed people are better mental image manipulation than righties. They also have a larger percentage of mental and/or learning disorders. Right handed people are better at school.

I guess it balances out?

There we go! It's a start.

Some examples from the top of my head: Isaac Newton, Joan of Arc, Ramses II, many in the British royal family, Buzz Aldrin, Barack Obama, Benjamin Franklin, Albert Einstein (actually, I'm not too sure about him), Ronald Reagan, George Bush Sr., Lewis Carroll, Leonardo da Vinci, Bill Clinton (he's a smart guy, like him or not) H.G. Wells, Pablo Picasso, Bill Gates (you may call him stupid and stuff, but not everyone can build a giant company like Microsoft), Julius Caesar, Napoleon Bonaparte, Paul McCartney, Helen Keller, Wolfgang Mozart, Jay Leno, Uri Geller, Alexander the Great, and Charlemagne.
Drew Carey. :p

I guess it balances out?
Could explain why me and one of my friends are a bit loopy sometimes. :lol:
http://www.lefthandersday.com/intelligence.html
I think this sight could help with the whole left handers smarter thing. And sorry no right handed sites. Man are we lefties egotistical to have our own site. And if you want use some wikipedia.

Nah, I'm sure lefties just want to compensate for their jealous rage because everything is made for right handed people. The idea that your dominant hand affects intelligence is ridiculous because it gives certain people the notion that they are smart or should be good in certain areas, whether they are or aren't.

And I don't see why people are posting about themselves as if that somehow proves or disproves this.

I'm number 1 in my class, and will have taken 13 AP tests by the end of this school year. Whoo righties.

We're not necessarily smarter, but access the creative side of the brain as opposed to the calculative side. Just look at me and my cousin. I'm really artistic, quiet, and good at writing. He's really athletic, risky, and good at math.

Im left handed, but Im not exactly that creative, if you had to compare me with my sister (who is right handed) then she is definately more creative then me. As for intelligence, I am pretty smart buts its not like Im at genius level, I guess its just because there are so few left handers in the world they have to think up something creative for us. The bad thing for us though is when we write, we can smudge are work prety badly...

We're not necessarily smarter, but access the creative side of the brain as opposed to the calculative side. Just look at me and my cousin. I'm really artistic, quiet, and good at writing. He's really athletic, risky, and good at math.
Creative would be the word, yeah. I am really imaginative, more so then the average person, got crazy skills when it comes to making up a good rhythm on the guitar, 20 minute long instrumental ftw, but I couldn't care less bout learning stuff a lot, just the basics to pass and such.

Im left handed, but Im not exactly that creative, if you had to compare me with my sister (who is right handed) then she is definately more creative then me. As for intelligence, I am pretty smart buts its not like Im at genius level, I guess its just because there are so few left handers in the world they have to think up something creative for us. The bad thing for us though is when we write, we can smudge are work prety badly...
Ah god tell me about it. I can't use gel pens cause everything comes out smeared and ugly. Add it with bad handwriting and you got a random blob of black.

This has no bearing on intelligence and is a coincidence at most. I happen to know a few left handers that I'm smarter than. In fact, only one left handed person I know can be considered genius or above average (IQ of 165).

However, if lefties are better at math than righties in general, then that would explain why they can claim superiority because the IQ test is nothing but math with some other things tacked on. The only reason I broke the 130 mark on it was because of those non-math areas like spacial and associative.

If left handers are more logical, then they most certainly suck at abstract thinking which enables you to surprise and burst out of the box.

This has no bearing on intelligence and is a coincidence at most. I happen to know a few left handers that I'm smarter than. In fact, only one left handed person I know can be considered genius or above average (IQ of 165).

However, if lefties are better at math than righties in general, then that would explain why they can claim superiority because the IQ test is nothing but math with some other things tacked on. The only reason I broke the 130 mark on it was because of those non-math areas like spacial and associative.

If left handers are more logical, then they most certainly suck at abstract thinking which enables you to surprise and burst out of the box
Not true. I asspull abstract thoughts all the time and I have some of the most logical thinking I've ever heard. So lets go over my facts:
-I'm logical....and can do abstract thinking
-I got a buttload of creativity through a pretty vivid imagination and a pretty crazy guitar rhythm making track record.
-I'm not so good at maths but I manage.

So am I possibly the most right handed, left handed guy here?

I knew a left handed person who started doing drugs, and other assorted foolish behavior.

So much for that theory. But this is another one of those "blondes are dumb", "italians do it better (that one however is quite true I will have you know :thumbup: )", etc...

You're intelligence is dependent upon how much you put into it, now what you write with.

This.

My dad's left-handed and he's not exactly intelligent as you put it. In other words, he lacks common sense and is very stupid.

I'm a lefty as well but I don't think THAT has got to do anything with my intelligence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom