• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Legendaries Discussion

Which was your favorite from this?

• Zacian

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Zamazenta

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Eternatus

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Meteodyna

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
What if the mascots don't have types? :eek:

I am only half-joking, but I do wonder what they might pull out of their hat to make the mascots distinct this time. Xerneas was a new type, while Solgaleo and Lunala were part of an evolution line. Would they go back to just two standard 680s with common types and nothing to set them apart other than a signature move and a better version of Mold Breaker or something?

Just to speculate wildly. I don't think either of the SwoShi mascots lend themselves too obviously to any particular typing. There is Zamazenta and Steel, but then would would Zacian be? Steel is the most defensive type in the game, and doesn't fit well with the offensive principles of the "Sword" when it's already being used to represent the "Shield." But making Zacian a Fighting-type would completely thwart the defensive principles of Zamazenta, since Zacian would have a clear type advantage, when it seems like they're supposed to have more of an "unstoppable force/immovable object" dynamic.

I guess you could make them both Fighting/Steel in order to even the playing field, but the Fighting half of that still kind of undermines the Steel half by providing more offensive value to either one, and on top of that, making Zacian a Steel-type on the grounds that it carries a sword strikes me as a little odd, because the sword is just a tool that it uses - Gurdurr isn't a partial Steel-type just for carrying around an I-beam, after all, nor is Farfetch'd a partial Grass-type for carrying a leek.

Last generation, they brought Typelessness a little more to the fore with the move Burn Up. What if Zacian and Zamazenta elevated that idea by just being Typeless all the time? Maybe the wolves could demonstrate their respective combat prowess outside of the 18-type paradigm, and work more through their abilities and move effects instead? I'm not sure how that would work outside of the games, but perhaps those new V cards (blimey, who picked that name?) were a little more revealing than we thought...

On the one hand, I do think it would be fair to say that this is maybe a bridge too far for Game Freak, who generally prefer to play things a little safer (indeed, I remember people having very similar expectations for the UBs, who all turned out to function just like regular Pokémon but with weird stat specializations), but at the same time, I think they do like to surprise us.

Honestly, Burn Up is a good point. That does seem like a good way to experiment with typelessness before going all out with it.

But then again, Flying Press didn't lead to an influx of dual-typed moves, Trick Or Treat didn't result in natural triple-types. Sometimes something seems like a toe-dip into the pool of things-to-come, but doesn't actually result in anything radical.

Hmm meteo dyna. Could be weather or meteor? Flying/ghost or steel/ghost?

Eter natus remind me of Thor 2.
If its a sea creature? Wolfes could realy be steel/flying and steel/fire? Then Eternatus maybe is water/ghost or water/dark . eternal and tus reminds of greek or roman gods.

What about weather or meteors suggests Ghost and Steel?

I can kinda see Steel for meteors because most meteors contain iron, and can even be shiny on broken edges, and because the Steel type is occasionally associated with meteors or things similar to them (think Meteor Mash and Jirachi). However, I don’t see how Ghost fits with either weather or meteors.

I like to think Dark/Ghost for Eternatus/Mortigern and Fairy/Psychic for Meteodyna/Utheriel. They're counterparts to each other, with Meteodyna/Utheriel being responsible for the empowering of Zacian and Zamazenta to counter (or at least as it seems) Eternatus/Mortigern, who itself has familiars in the form of a pair of raven legendaries bearing a dagger and spear.

This is infinepea from yokai watch. Is this a possible look for Eternatus?

I thought of a more visibly demonic/pagan god like appearance for both of them, with brythonic-Roman inspirations for Eternatus/Mortigern and Anglo-Norse inspiration for Meteodyna/Utheriel.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom