• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon caught in a Pokeball?

Johto

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to catch my Zekrom in standard Pokeball. Every time I use it I get accused of hacks. My question is what is the weirdest Pokeball you used and successfully caught a Legendary pokemon in???

I've caught Lugia in silver and Giratina in platinum in regular pokeballs. In both cases I ran out of ultra balls (and whatever else I had) so I started chucking the pokeballs out of desperation. But it all worked out in the end so its cool.

Zekrom actually has a laughable catch rate. But anyway, for my story... Once I caught Raikou with my Quick Ball, the first time I saw him.

I caught Reshiram in a Pokeball and Kyurem in a Dive Ball in White2 because I wanted to catch them in Pokeballs which match their colour scheme more or less (I think I actually tried to catch Reshiram in a Premier Ball, ran out of them and didn't want to reset). For the same reason I caught Yveltal in a Luxury Ball (It was actually the first ball i threw and I was pretty surprised as I didn't know that Yveltal&Xerneas have a higher catch rate ... ) and Groudon in a Repeat Ball.
When I was younger, I also caught Lugia in a Dive Ball without planning to, and a friend of mine was even able to catch Ho-Oh with a Pokeball thrown at it at full health iirc.

I caught Heatran in the first encounter in the first turn with a standard pokeball. No weakening or anything, just a normal pokeball I threw just for the lolz.

I caught Deoxys in a Pokeball in Alpha Sapphire, I just threw it as a joke knowing it was extremely unlikely to catch it, but it worked...

I also once caught Groudon in a Nestball in Ruby even though all my Pokemon were a lower level than it. It was always so funny to send it out in battle and see hearts all around it.

I caught Kyurem in White version with a Dusk Ball. In SoulSilver I caught Groudon with a Heavy Ball and in Platinum I caught Palkia with a Net Ball (because Palkia is also a Water type Pokémon). And no I never caught a Legendary Pokémon in a regular Pokéball, but I did capture Moltres in Fire Red with a Great Ball.

When playing X I took on Xerneas with a pretty good party, I had him down to capture hp quickly and since my Charazard was not taking much damage I figured I had plenty of time to capture him. I threw a standard Pokeball first just for giggles... It gave a little wiggle at the top of the throw and one bounce later..."TINK" I got a critical capture of a legendary with a standard Pokeball.

In White 2, I captured every single legendary Pokémon with a Poké Ball; most other Pokémon were, too.
It was surprisingly easy.

I try to caugh most of my Legendary with Luxury Ball.

I just check my game,
My Deoxys and Azelf is in regular Pokeball *get them out of frustrasion*, and Both my Xerneas from my X copy are in Luxury ball.

Others are in either Ultra Ball, Quick Ball, Cherish Ball, or Master Ball.

I usually throw a Pokeball if I've been struggling to catch a legendary for a while. I figure, if I'm all out of Ultra balls, might as well try a Poke, right? It usually doesn't work, but.....

I have an Entei, caught in Soul Silver, now transferred to Alpha Sapphire, in a Pokeball.

Since X & Y, I have use standard pokéballs to capture every pokémon, even legendary pokémon!
This is to prove to people that any pokémon can be caught with a pokéball who say otherwise! (Even more on a seldom hacked generation! :D )

The first time I used anything other than an Ultra Ball or Master Ball to catch a legendary was in Y, when I caught my Yveltal, Devil's Bird, with a Dusk Ball. At the moment I wasn't aware that it is actually easy to capture it.

Since then, I started this thing where I need to capture the pokémon with a ball that fits well with its color. Yesterday I reached Sootopolis and spent 4 hours trying to get my Groudon, Magog, by using a shitty Repeat Ball. Unfortunately the ball's design resembles those patterns on Groudon's body, so I couldn't get it with an ordinary Master Ball.

I lost count of how many times I had to soft reset due to a critical hit killing Groudon, running out of Repeat Balls or even Groudon killing itself with struggle.
Things started to run well when I stopped trying to do the whole thing with a single Repeat Ball in my bag, and bought more in Rustboro. I managed to capture it once, but it was so crappy (+speed -attack) that I didn't keep it. At last I got one with +speed -special attack, which I don't think is much better, but that's it.
The worst part in doing this in ORAS is that you have that little cutscene every time, and you can't check it out before another long cutscene.

Got an Azelf with a Nest Ball (becomes as effective as a standard Poké Ball for one that level) and just now, Raikou with a Repeat Ball (first encounter of that species, and I ran out of all other balls).

However, I always try to stock up on Timer, Ultra, and sometimes other specialty balls.

Articuno with a Poke Ball after a Poison Sting(or powder) in FireRed

Only thing I remember, unfortunately :/

Once on Pokemon Y I was trying to catch Zapdos. I went through 41 ultra balls, 3-5 Poke balls,(I couldn't remember) 12 Dusk balls, and then there was the Premier Ball... I threw it hopelessly and then I hear the little ''clink!'' I looked over and it said ''Gotcha! Zapdos was caught!'' Best moment of my life. Btw, sorry if I used incorrect English :v

I caught Lugia in the first Premier Ball I tossed once, after 1 critical hit Shadow Claw from my Typhosion

I once caught the Reshiram from Black at full health in a Pokeball. On my first playthrough, I weakened it a ton and used an Ultra Ball, but this time, I decided to test just how high the catchrate was.

This sounds crazy, but I actually have a preference for catching certain legendaries in Premier Balls. Why? Because the Premier Balls help make them more unique, as I don't bother to catch things with Premier Balls in the first place. Perhaps even weirder, I even tried to catch the Swords of Justice with only standard Poke Balls. My reasoning behind that is because I want my "competitive" Pokemon to be only in Poke Balls. Yeah, I like challenging myself, don't I?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom