• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

After seeing the artwork, and also the suggestion that they're extraterrestrial like Deoxys (well, more extraterrestrial than normal Pokémon, anyway*) I'm more leaning towards the idea that they're all going to be part-Psychic typed (e.g. Yveltal = Dark/Psychic, Xerneas = Steel/Psychic, Z-Snake = Ghost/Psychic or Ice/Psychic, and Pokémon W probs Normal/Psychic), since many (if not most) Pokémon that are extraterrestrial or have alien associations are Psychic typed.

*Of course, it should be noted that no one actually knows where Pokémon came from, and the idea that they're all extraterrestrial has been suggested in multiple media since Gen I. I really hope this possible focus on space Pokémon means that this issue is going to be explored in Gen VI.

EDIT:

Do either of them have mouths? Yveltal has a black beak, but I can't find one on Xerneas.

Huh, I didn't notice that, but you're right, I don't think they do. This only lends credence to the space theory, IMO: Lack of mouths is a common feature amongst Pokémon with alien associations like Deoxys, Beheeyem, Starmie, and so on.

If they are psychic, as are all Space Pokemon, I do wonder how interesting the 3rd would be. I mean if they do go with the Norse theme, and the 3rd one is the serpent, they could do a really cool psychic/poison legendary or Psychic/Water legendary. Would also imply that we might get Psychic/Steel for Xerneas and Psychic/Flying for Yveltal, which would make this gen even more awesome with the legendaries.

Ugh, GF really outdid themselves this time. Those two are definitely better than most other version mascots so far.

Clefairy are space pokemon with mouths. They could easily have the small kinda mouth that only appears when it's open, and is just like a small circle under their nose.

Wow they are both so badass looking, especially Yveltal. They are nothing like what we've seen before. Looking at Yveltal, I think even more now that it may be part Dark type. Also Im really loving Xerneas's rainbow antlers.
Yeah the rainbow antlers rock. I love how it wasn't just light coming from its powers, but actual crystals that are a part of its antlers.

The one with the rainbow antlers looks like a boss. :cool:

Clefairy are space pokemon with mouths. They could easily have the small kinda mouth that only appears when it's open, and is just like a small circle under their nose.

I said it was a common feature, not required.

Yveltal's art looks like it wants a hug. Lol.

I'm loving both their artworks, I'm really enthusiastic with these two so far!

Not only do Yveltal's wings seem to have hands, but so does its tail. It's got a hand tail, man. It and Aipom could give each other some awesome high gives with their tails.

I love the artwork! Although Yveltal looks great, I still prefer Xerneas. It looks so sharp and refined. I also love its antlers!

If they are psychic, as are all Space Pokemon, I do wonder how interesting the 3rd would be. I mean if they do go with the Norse theme, and the 3rd one is the serpent, they could do a really cool psychic/poison legendary or Psychic/Water legendary. Would also imply that we might get Psychic/Steel for Xerneas and Psychic/Flying for Yveltal, which would make this gen even more awesome with the legendaries.

Yeah but isn't the Clefairy Family also from space and they seem to lack the Psychic Typing.

I'm feeling something unusual about those two legendaries. I mean that other pairs of mascots could easily alternate each other in storyline, because they had similar purposes. Kyogre and Groudon both control the weather, Dialga and Palkia both can distort dimensions, Zekrom and Reshiram both look for their heroes.

Xerneas and Yveltal seem to be different because they look like they have different purposes. If they really represent life and death, Xerneas could be the protector of life and Yveltal the destroyer. Could that mean that X and Y versions will have heavily different storylines, suitable for each legendary, much more alternative to each other than previous paired versions?

Well, it's possible, but let's be honest in that the other legendaries have always been opposites. Land and Sea. Time and Space. Truth and Ideals. Life and Death don't really sound like they're all that different, thus they don't really need to have a majorly different story.

Well, it's possible, but let's be honest in that the other legendaries have always been opposites. Land and Sea. Time and Space. Truth and Ideals. Life and Death don't really sound like they're all that different, thus they don't really need to have a majorly different story.

If somehow Xerneas and Yveltal wind up representing life and death maybe if there is a Z it could possibly somehow represent rebirth or reincarnation.

If somehow Xerneas and Yveltal wind up representing life and death maybe if there is a Z it could possibly somehow represent rebirth or reincarnation.

Ho-oh already has that title claimed.

Yeah but isn't the Clefairy Family also from space and they seem to lack the Psychic Typing.

The Clefairy family is a complicated case, but in essence I think they aren't Psychic because their theme is the Moon, as opposed to alien lifeforms & outer space in general. Cresselia & Darkrai have opposing phases of the Moon (New & Full) associated with different types, and since Clefairy represents both it's only right that Clefairy's line is Normal-typed, so as to represent the cancelling out of these two opposing themes, and hence their overall representation of the Moon, which is how the Normal-type is viewed anyway; a neutral type.

Of course, you could go, "well Lunatone represents the Moon and it's Psychic-typed", but that's not exactly true. Whilst Lunatone is associated with the Moon, it also more generally represents alien life & outer space, hence its classification as the meteorite Pokémon, and how several of its dex entires imply that it fell from space and stuff like that.

That said, even if we take into account Clefairy (and similar Pokémon), Psychic is still quite a common type amongst Pokémon with associations to space/alien life in general, due to the fact that aliens are often associated with psychic powers in pop culture. Good examples are Starmie, Lunatone/Solrock (as discussed above), the Elgyem family, the Beldum family (not from space, but based on UFOs), Jirachi/Deoxys, Unown, and even the PokéStar Studios opponent UFO 2, which is part Psychic. If the mascots came from space, it would make sense for them to be part Psychic-type.

Ho-oh already has that title claimed.

So what would you think a possible inspiration for Pokémon Z might be?

Back
Top Bottom