• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

I have this theory that Xerneas is the master of the Swords of Justice, and Yveltal is the master of the Gen VI legendary trio.

That group is already covered and done with. The Musketeers was a group of four so there's no need for a fifth member.

Xerneas and Yveltal are more likely to be related and will probably be members of a future trio.

they have done too many land sea sky related legendaries like the 3rd gen pokemon groudon kyogre and rayquaza
to do anotherone would be very laim

There is a theory about the legendaries being based on Norse Mythology, go and read this; DA LINK

Very interesting at least.

If I recall correctly, Cobalion is assumed the trio master of the Swords of Justice, though I supposed Xerneas could be related in some way, I doubt it though.

Maybe it's the unidentified legendary that was supposedly on Challenger's Cave at some point? It's unlikely unless there's a character in The Three Musketeers with a similar role, though. (Is there? I've no idea.)

I know that the space theory got debunked cause it was only CoroCoro's hype process, but Weltall, with the W sounding like a V, is the German word for Universe. Read this on neogaf, and since GF likes to get all lingual on the Pokemon names, anyone think this is a coincidence? I think not! Something tells me some funky things are gonna go down with the mon, real funky things.

I know that the space theory got debunked cause it was only CoroCoro's hype process, but Weltall, with the W sounding like a V, is the German word for Universe. Read this on neogaf, and since GF likes to get all lingual on the Pokemon names, anyone think this is a coincidence? I think not! Something tells me some funky things are gonna go down with the mon, real funky things.

Depends on how you look at it. If the legends of this Gen really are Norse based, with Yveltal representing the upper Y-axis (Asgard, home of the Gods) and being in the "upper" part of the cosmology. Sometimes, universe/space is equated with the sky or heavens, though it wouldn't surprise me for that reason GF chose a name similar to Weltall.

actually its like this:
Yveltal
combination of yvel - evil (middle english) and kartal - eagle (turkish)

I think thats likely the best basis on its name and design overall.

I'm truly curious what the Xerneous or Yveltal will represent, (Like Dialga with Time and Palkia with Space, or Reshiram with Truth and Zekrom with Ideals.

Analysing Yveltal's artwork closer, I think that I'm still on the right (at least, in direction) on the notion that it's a Dark-type. I judge this on its main body colours - black is a given, but it's a little bit ambiguous on the glowing part - whether it's red or magenta. Regardless, the artwork and CG suggest this because it uses a typical Dark-type body - dark colours with red/magenta, which is a staple of other series using a similar type of thematic.

What I don't get is the use of blue eyes, at least in relation to the theory that Yveltal could be a Fire type. Sure, it may just be me being delusional as always, but observing the artwork and CG, the eyes are glowing a rather bright blue - a stark contrast to the rest of its colour scheme. Usually, when I see this kind of thing, it's an overall dark sort of nature as the eyes just kinda invoke that "sharp" look, at least to me. It may just be because it's a Legendary that the eyes are glowing "naturally", though.

Still, I don't know many Fire-types that have blue eyes...

Reshiram has blue eyes.

I can't remember I read this from, but someone suggested that Yveltal is actually blind.

I hope it's Dark/Poison.

I don't recall this at all. I remember it being pointed out that the "fastest news in the universe!" line in the magazine could be just a figure of speech, and that's true, but the space theory still has a fair bit going for it last I checked.

Reading all the ideas and theories over the last 2 days has been very intriguing because of just how deep excited fans can dig. I'm sure if we throw enough crap at the wall, one or two things are bound to stick. My favorite part is finding out which ones those turn out to be.

What I don't get is the use of blue eyes, at least in relation to the theory that Yveltal could be a Fire type. Sure, it may just be me being delusional as always, but observing the artwork and CG, the eyes are glowing a rather bright blue - a stark contrast to the rest of its colour scheme. Usually, when I see this kind of thing, it's an overall dark sort of nature as the eyes just kinda invoke that "sharp" look, at least to me. It may just be because it's a Legendary that the eyes are glowing "naturally", though.

Still, I don't know many Fire-types that have blue eyes...
Well, in the page that El_ linked, it says this:

The top of Yggdrasil, where Asgard is located, lives a mythical eagle of unknown name. In some renditions of the myth, the eagle is blind, but the eyes of the eagle are said to see deep into the souls of all beings in the nine worlds. This eagle is represented by the legendary Pokemon Yveltal. Yveltal has features that highly resemble an eagle-like creature. Most people or animals that are blind tend to have a blue tint to their eyes. Yveltal’s eyes are a crisp blue, and as seen in the trailer are more of a light than dark blue, which hints towards blindness; just like the eagle from the myth.
So yeah, blue eyes might be because of its potential blindness?

It's still too farfetched at the current time to think that Yggdrasil's the true origin of X and Y's mascots. Until we've got any indication of story, I'm deciding to keep quiet on the origin theory matters.
I owe this view to my cynicism on most things.

On the subject of eyes...what about Xerneas? Besides the mere fact that it's got pupils shaped like a cross...

Edit:
Reshiram has blue eyes.

Good point. About the only other Fire-type Pokémon I can think of that also has blue eyes is Charizard, and my memory's still fuzzy.

Since they're doing X and Y, it is a safe guess to speculate 'Z', to be the "Kyruuem" ,"Girtatina", or "Rayquaza" of this generation. Like some of you already said, I would like to see some sort of serpant. As far as other legendaries, hopefully those will not be letters. I mean Xerneas and Yveltal caught me off guard, but luckily they're fairly cool Pokemon! I just think there needs to be a little more creativity now. (In my opinion). Last generation we got to use garbage bags. But, wayyyy before that we got to use pokeballs. Nothing will be worse than voltorb or electrode. (Yo dawg, I herd you liekz pokeballs, so I put sum pokeballs in yo' pokeballs) -- I remember reading that somewhere... :x

What's Legendary Z, a snake? ooh maybe a sea serpent, The bird = the sky, the deer = the land, and Z perhaps = the sea.

This.

Pokémon logic does this sort of thing quite a lot, so I wouldn't be surprised.

The legendarys are probably based off the nord gods
http://evelynrodriguez.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/20/yggdrasil.jpg

you may not be able to see it very well but there is a bird in the sky, a deer on the land, and a Snake underground so maybe Legendary Z will be a poison ground type?

I would prefer less new legendaries in XY. 10 legendaries max. BW had 13 new legends, and while I did like them, I feel that it's far too many. I'd prefer to have just a few, akin to Gens I and II. There are so many common legendaries nowadays that they don't even feel special anymore hardly.

Now, as for Xerneas and Yveltal, I love both of them. They have awesome designs and they look great and very different and interesting. Yveltal is my favorite of the two, but Xerneas is also very good. I'm really looking forward to getting Y version. I also think, as many others, that there will be a Z legendary that's a serpent.

Last edited:
Yveltal's typing seems to be a lot less difficult to decipher than Xerneas'. Yveltal appears to be Dark/Flying. I originally believed that Yveltal flying didn't guarantee a Flying-type, but once I saw the talons and learned about its possible origin, I changed my mind. The color scheme, the mane, and clawed wings almost solidify a Dark-type for me. However, when it comes to Xerneas, there are only two other deer to base our predictions: Stantler and Sawsbuck, both of which are Normal-type. A Normal-type mascot legendary would be viewed as extremely underwhelming, likely even by Game Freak. Other possible types for Xerneas could be Grass, Psychic, Electric, and/or Steel, in order of probability. The only reason I see a possible Electric or Steel typing is because its colored antlers could be neon and its body looks incredibly sleek and has no visible fur (It's tail could be a throw-off). I doubt Xerneas would be Grass-type because Deerling and Sawsbuck only occupy that type due to their wooden antlers and vegetation. However, at the same time, Xerneas being Grass-type may just be due to how it dwells in a forest. Unless they introduce a Light-type, Xerneas could end up being Psychic-type due to its colored antlers and to offset Yveltal's probable Dark-type. However, those antlers don't seem to be emitting light as shown in the artwork. If we were to go by contrast, Psychic/Grass and Dark/Flying works perfectly (despite Yveltal owning Xerneas completely with that typing). By the way, although it could just be the quality of the images, I swear Xerneas appears to have regular, X-less pupils and Yveltal seems to have no pupils...yeah, him being the hawk from the Yggdrasil myth is very likely now, as it was blind, and Yveltal's eyes strongly suggest blindness, as pointed out by others. I'm actually surprised that Xerneas has a hard-to-determine type. Reshiram and Zekrom's types were toughish for me to determine at first until I noticed their tails, which were dead giveaways: a torch and a generator. I went with the obvious mainstream, yet incorrect guesses. Who knows? After Victini, appearance may have nothing to do with types anymore.

After thinking about it for a while, I think Psychic/Electric and Dark/Flying would be the best typings for Xerneas and Yveltal respectively. They match their looks without leaving one having an advantage over the other.

Back
Top Bottom