• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

I've seen some pretty interesting speculation, since the games are titled after characters from the Roman Alphabet, that Xerneas and Yveltal may be inspired not by Norse Legends, but Greco-Roman Legends. One I particularly like is that Xerneas is linked to Diana the Moon Goddess, since it has sort of a "celestial" glow to it and Diana was often represented by a deer, whereas Yveltal is her brother, Apollo, linked to the sun (which we see behind Yveltal in the trailer), and one of the many birds that symbolize Apollo, perhaps even the Griffin given the lion-like mane and claws. With that being said, I'd like to see perhaps other Legendaries based on Greek/Roman mythos.

* Prometheus: Well, we already sort of have a Prometheus Pokemon...Mewtwo. But I'm not wanting one embodying the more modern interpretation of the Prometheus Myth (human playing God, aka creating Frakenstein/Mewtwo, and being punished for it) but rather a straight up literal interpretation of it...a Fire-type Legendary Pokemon who "gave" humans the power of Fire. I'd like it to be cuter than the myth portrays him, still perhaps "punished" but simply locked away as opposed to having his innards picked out daily. I'm thinking a little fire-eagle creature (referencing the eagle that ate his liver) with a torch-head, perhaps also referencing the Olympic Torch. My idea for this Pokemon ends up sounding a lot like Victini though...

* Ganymede: I thought of this as a Water-type counterpart for the Prometheus Pokemon. Ganymede was a prince abducted by Zeus' Eagle and forced to...well...become the cup bearer for Zeus and the other Gods, among other things. Anyway, since Zeus' Eagle once more plays a role, Ganymede would be a little water-eagle creature with a head shaped like a goblet that stores water and while Prometheus Pokemon provides Fire, Ganymede Pokemon provides Water. While the Prometheus Pokemon could be locked up at the bottom of a mountain, Ganymede Pokemon could be locked up at the top of a mountain, and the two would be counterparts. Perhaps Fire/Flying and Water/Flying, since they're eagles.

I've seen some pretty interesting speculation, since the games are titled after characters from the Roman Alphabet, that Xerneas and Yveltal may be inspired not by Norse Legends, but Greco-Roman Legends. One I particularly like is that Xerneas is linked to Diana the Moon Goddess, since it has sort of a "celestial" glow to it and Diana was often represented by a deer, whereas Yveltal is her brother, Apollo, linked to the sun (which we see behind Yveltal in the trailer), and one of the many birds that symbolize Apollo, perhaps even the Griffin given the lion-like mane and claws. With that being said, I'd like to see perhaps other Legendaries based on Greek/Roman mythos.

If they're based on the animals associated with the Olympians, it'd be:

Zeus: Eagle or Bull
Hera: Eagle, Peacock, or Lioness
Bacchus: Cat or Goat
Poiseidon: Bull, Dolphin, or Horse - but more than likely a Hippocampus to cover all the bases.
Demeter: Pig or Winged Serpent
Athena: Owl
Hestia: Donkey
Ares: Dragon, Vulture, or Boar
Aphrodite: Dove, Bee, or Swan
Hephaestus: Donkey
Hermes: Rooster, Stork, Satyr, or Tortoise
Hades: Cerebus (Duh)

* Prometheus: Well, we already sort of have a Prometheus Pokemon...Mewtwo. But I'm not wanting one embodying the more modern interpretation of the Prometheus Myth (human playing God, aka creating Frakenstein/Mewtwo, and being punished for it) but rather a straight up literal interpretation of it...a Fire-type Legendary Pokemon who "gave" humans the power of Fire. I'd like it to be cuter than the myth portrays him, still perhaps "punished" but simply locked away as opposed to having his innards picked out daily. I'm thinking a little fire-eagle creature (referencing the eagle that ate his liver) with a torch-head, perhaps also referencing the Olympic Torch. My idea for this Pokemon ends up sounding a lot like Victini though...

* Ganymede: I thought of this as a Water-type counterpart for the Prometheus Pokemon. Ganymede was a prince abducted by Zeus' Eagle and forced to...well...become the cup bearer for Zeus and the other Gods, among other things. Anyway, since Zeus' Eagle once more plays a role, Ganymede would be a little water-eagle creature with a head shaped like a goblet that stores water and while Prometheus Pokemon provides Fire, Ganymede Pokemon provides Water. While the Prometheus Pokemon could be locked up at the bottom of a mountain, Ganymede Pokemon could be locked up at the top of a mountain, and the two would be counterparts. Perhaps Fire/Flying and Water/Flying, since they're eagles.

I gotta say bro, that's some interesting duality you've created there. Sounds pretty nice.

Poiseidon: Bull, Dolphin, or Horse - but more than likely a Hippocampus to cover all the bases.

How about a pegasus for Poseidon? (He was the god of horses and created the original Pegasus for Perseus to defeat Medusa and save Andromeda. I just read the other day that he only became the sea god because he and a couple brothers divvied up the realms.)

Hera went nuts if someone got on her bad side (especially when Zeus cheated on her dozens of times), so a carnivore would make sense.

Who else?

Artemis: Deer (although how many legendary deer do they need) or hunting hound
Apollo: Firefly, songbird, steed

People actually are thinking that perhaps Xerneas and Yveltal already are meant to be Artemis (or Diane) and Apollo.

I think Yvetal will be a dark/dragon type,Or a dark/flying type
For xerneas it will possibly be a psychic/fighting
i have heard xerneas is grass steel, Yveltal is dragon poison

If they're based on the animals associated with the Olympians, it'd be:

-I definitely agree with your choices for Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Ares, Hephaestus and Aphrodite. The only comment I have for them is that Hera may not be an Eagle since she isn't really associated with them nor has much in common with their usual traits, same with Aphrodite and bees. Poisedon has to be water related so I'd vote dolphin or Hippocampus over the other two choices. Hephaestus is also associated with volcanoes so a fire related animal could work as well.
-Bacchus can be a goat in reference to a satyr but instead of a cat I'd suggest a Panther since they're more associated with him and drew his chariot in mythology.
-Demeter could be plant related since she's the goddess of the harvest, but having said that if they want an animal pigs can work along with any other farm related animal.
-Athena could be an owl and I'll also throw in snakes due to the Aegis she wore.
-Hestia, I'd imagine she'd be related to her role of home and hearth so something that's family related (like a lionness) would fit. A donkey also works
-Hermes, due to being the messenger of the gods agree with either the stork or the rooster. Another type of messenger animal could work. Due to Satyrs fitting more with Bacchus I think they should go with him.
-Hades, any type of hell or death-related animal works, admittedly I'd prefer Cerebus to be separate of him but I wouldn't mind it either.

Last edited:
These new legends are quite cool :D I like them both, but I don´t want them to represent the Air and the Land (and the third one Z Water). We already have this, don´t we? Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquazza :3

Someone might have mentioned it already, but I haven´t read the whole thread :3 I´d like them to be the Good (Xerneas) and Evil (Yveltal-he does look badass, doesn´the? :D). As far as I know, we don´t have Good/Evil legendary duo :3

Yveltal could possibly a Fire/Dragon or Fire/Flying due to appearance.

Besides the color, there isn't much in Yveltal's design that suggests it being a Fire-type Pokémon and well, color alone doesn't mean much.

These new legends are quite cool :D I like them both, but I don´t want them to represent the Air and the Land (and the third one Z Water). We already have this, don´t we? Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquazza :3

Someone might have mentioned it already, but I haven´t read the whole thread :3 I´d like them to be the Good (Xerneas) and Evil (Yveltal-he does look badass, doesn´the? :D). As far as I know, we don´t have Good/Evil legendary duo :3

I think we haven't had one because, as GF like to remind us, no pokemon is evil - only the trainer :)

Although I like the idea and definitely see where you're coming from, regarding their designs. Perhaps Xerneas can be the Pokemon of Order and Yveltal can be the Pokemon of Chaos? I don't think we've had that duality yet (although I guess Giratina comes pretty close to symbolising chaos...)

I think we haven't had one because, as GF like to remind us, no pokemon is evil - only the trainer :)

Although I like the idea and definitely see where you're coming from, regarding their designs. Perhaps Xerneas can be the Pokemon of Order and Yveltal can be the Pokemon of Chaos? I don't think we've had that duality yet (although I guess Giratina comes pretty close to symbolising chaos...)

What about something like selflessness and selfishness? Eh, as I type it, it doesn't sound as good an idea as I thought...

Xerneas and Yveltal are supposed to represent the X and Y chromosomes if the Japanese logos are any indication. All of this "good vs. evil" crap is wrong on that basis and because it's pretty much stereotyping based on Yveltal's color scheme. So I'm guessing there's going to be some "masculinity vs. femininity" duality going on in this game, or maybe something else DNA related.

Anyway, I hope there's not too many legendaries in this game, maybe something like this:

-Mascot trio
-Typical "lesser" trio
-A pair of version exclusive runners
-2-4 event legendaries

I think that would be a fairly reasonable balance. But I'm not really worried as much about the number of legendaries in general as I am the number of event Pokemon there's going to be, the number per generation has been steadily increasing each gen since 3rd and it's getting kind of ridiculous now. I do not want to see 5 event Pokemon in this game, that's too much, especially when we have 11 past gen event Pokemon to worry about as well. So that's why I said 2-4, that's a bit more reasonable.

Post game, I'd also like to see some past legendaries as well, with the amount of legendaries climbing higher and higher in each game, it's going to be tougher to fit them all in one generation. So they shouldn't wait until the next main game in 6th gen for starters, legendaries, and the like, they need to start now. And there are a handful that could possibly fit the game (Mewtwo, the Pixie trio, and the Creation Trio to name a few). DLC could potentially help alleviate this depending on how they do it, but in general, they should just include a Pokemon if they think it fits post game well enough.

I'd also like to see them rethink how to handle runners. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind keeping them the way they usually are (high level Shadow Tag Wobbuffet can take care of that easily enough), but seeing how BW2 (and upon further contemplation, past games as well) have handled the idea of roaming legendaries, there's other ways to handle this that are less annoying. One way would be to do what they did in Emerald with Groudon and Kyogre, have them inhabit areas that randomly jump around but are less prone to fleeing (you found them waiting for you in Terra Cave and Marine Cave which changes locations throughout the region). They could also expand on what they did with the Lati twins in BW2, where they generally stay in one spot but you have to chase them around a bit. I actually really liked how that was handled (minus the part where Latios/Latias ambushes you in the end), that'd be a lot more fun and puzzling.

Personally, I hope we don't have too many legendary Pokemon this gen. I think we've been getting a little too many. I think a smaller amount of around 7-8 Legendary Pokemon will be enough.

Do you think Game Freak should cut back on legendary Pokemon in gen 6?

alot of people across the net think there are too many legendary pokemon in the series, do you think generation six should introduce fewer legendaries?

Re: Do you think Game Freak should cut back on legendary Pokemon in gen 6?

Hm....I don't know. Honestly, I think these three legendaries (Xerneas, Yvetal, and Mewtwo's new forme) are fine enough. We had too many legendaries in Gen 5, so to see there's only three so far is a reassuring sign. But I shouldn't get my hopes up yet...

I sincerely hope so. I believe we've started to receive too many legendary Pokemon. I would like to see Gen VI bring 7-10 legendary Pokemon.

In this case, I really believe less is more. I used to like Lugia, because it was my favorite legendary. Now, I hate legendaries. "What's your favorite legendary?" is now no different than "What's your favorite Pokemon?" There are so many, an so many of the so many are so much more overrated than they should be. I never use, and never will use, any legendaries. I guess I'm basically just Lawrence III, collecting the legends for the sake of... well, collecting.

Re: Do you think Game Freak should cut back on legendary Pokemon in gen 6?

alot of people across the net think there are too many legendary pokemon in the series, do you think generation six should introduce fewer legendaries?

I have a more unpopular opinion but it doesn't really matter to me. The numbers of the legendaries are not the problem I have, it's the way they're used that can be the problem. I don't like it when legendaries are just used as fluff, they're supposed to be strong and/or mythical creatures that are tied to a mythology and add to the backstory of the Pokémon world. I love that worldbuilding because it gives more life to the realm we're exploring as we're finding more of them. When we just get a legendary however that lacks those aspects, it's much more notable and the legendary is less interesting as a result. It's one of the reasons why (ignoring the designs of course) I'm not too fond of the Legendary birds, they're introduced when there were less legendaries but they had little story to them that really added to the Pokémon World mythos. Compared to now, they feel more lackluster.

So in conclusion? I just want a story to these guys. You can give me 5, 10 or 15 (Ok not much higher then that mind you but you get the point), as long as they're interesting I'll go searching for them to catch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom