• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Discussion

For Xerneas I'm liking Psychic. I feel like it should have a secondary type, though...perhaps Steel? She does have what look like swords for legs. That's pretty badass.
She?

I am guessing Grass/Steel or Steel/Psychic for Xerneas.

Yes, she. X=X chromosome=XX=female. Yveltal is similarly male, Y=Y chromosome=XY=male. That's just my HC.
Grass/Steel would be cool. Doesn't seem too forest-y, though.

Life and death are two polar opposites; you're either alive or you are dead. There's no in-between (as far as anyone here is concerned). You could also compare not just life and death (the act of being alive vs. the act of not being alive), but also birth and death, or the "beginning" and the "end." But that being said it's a controversial topic and as such should be handled delicately. Something involving life and death, however, could be relevant, as the theme seems to revolve around DNA.

Could have a life/death/undead theme too, perhaps. That might fit if Z if it does turn out to be the draconic Níðhöggr, who lives in the underworld. That would make Z like a dark version of Ho-Oh, which could be kind of cool.

I thought they could introduce a new type for Xerneas. Light type? Considering they could be life-death.

The role of a potential Light type is already covered by Psychic, Fighting, and Normal, in their own ways. The only niche I could see for a Light-type would be as polar opposites to Shadow Pokémon, not Dark, but I think that would be really boring.

Doesn't Xerneas look a bit like it has a yellowish glow to it in its official artwork? I wouldn't be too surprised if it turned out to be an Electric-type.

I like Xerneas and Yveltol a lot more since seeing their Sugimori artwork. I just hope that Yveltol ISN'T a Dragon-type - too much dragon-type mascots. Personally, I'm thinking Dark/Flying.

Xerneas though? Steel/Psychic maybe?

Game Freak is going to troll everyone's guesses and make them multi-typing (bcuz Xerneas has multiple colored lights in its antlers and each light color means one type).

I like Xerneas and Yveltol a lot more since seeing their Sugimori artwork. I just hope that Yveltol ISN'T a Dragon-type - too much dragon-type mascots. Personally, I'm thinking Dark/Flying.

Xerneas though? Steel/Psychic maybe?

Agreed. Getting terribly bored of the Dragon-mascots and the Dragon-legendaries overall.

Looking at Xerneas it's not as clear with the typing from an aesthetic point of view as Yveltal, who I'm pretty much willing to bet is Dark/Flying. Xerneas might still have a surprising typing, although I kinda suspect it's gonna turn out to be part-Psychic-type.

Yveltal's red colouring makes me think of a Fire-type. Possibly Fire/Dark?

Xerneas' blade-like legs and blue body said Water/Steel to me.

Edit:
I hope they cut down on legendaries altogether this time around. Hoenn, Sinnoh & Unova went WAY overboard on the amount they introduced.

Last edited:

Edit:
I hope they cut down on legendaries altogether this time around. Hoenn, Sinnoh & Unova went WAY overboard on the amount they introduced.

Unova went overboard on the forms, but other than that it didn't have any more Legendaries than Sinnoh did...apparently.
Also, your typing for the Legendaries...that seems like an absolute unfair advantage on Xerneas' part.

Also, even though Yveltal's red-looking in the official artwork, since it's a CoroCoro scan I think that might be in part because of the lighting. When the artwork's released online, I think we'll be able to verify whether it was red or whether it was magenta like the CG in the trailer.

Changing the topic from legendary typings....
I think it would be EPIC if we got events through spot pass.
Just imagine it....
*drooling*
:D

I'm getting a Grass vibe from Xerneas. Not plant wise, but just sorta naturey. I wouldn't want the thing to be Grass/Steel though. Really not a fan of that combination. I really hope neither are Dragon or Psychic. We've got too many legendaries with those types.

Edit:

Unova and Hoenn were okay,,, 10 is the perfect amount and Unova had less pointless legends... my prediction is...

The Mascot Trio (Xerneas, Yveltal and Pokemon Z)

a side trio

at least one duo

and 2 events as for typings...

at least 3 Dragons and 2 Steels and at least one Psychic and Flying

Yes, she. X=X chromosome=XX=female. Yveltal is similarly male, Y=Y chromosome=XY=male. That's just my HC.
Ehhh, I don't think that's what X and Y are supposed to symbolise. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to represent axes of space since this is the first fully 3D pokemon game as well as being on the 3DS, so it would make sense that Xerneas would be a pokemon of the land (x generally being the horizontal axis) and that Yveltal would be a pokemon of the sky (y generally being the vertical axis).
I'm lost on what they could do for a mascot if they were to make a Z version (or possibly an Origin version) though.

Ehhh, I don't think that's what X and Y are supposed to symbolise. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to represent axes of space since this is the first fully 3D pokemon game as well as being on the 3DS, so it would make sense that Xerneas would be a pokemon of the land (x generally being the horizontal axis) and that Yveltal would be a pokemon of the sky (y generally being the vertical axis).
I'm lost on what they could do for a mascot if they were to make a Z version (or possibly an Origin version) though.

Once again... there are double helices on the japanese logo. A chromosomal reference is almost a given. Whether or not X and Y also refer to axises is a decent possibility, but it remains to be seen.

Chromosomes sprung to mind first for me. Xerneas' antlers further emphasize that. Personally I think it goes both ways, and the titles are sneaky little puns.

Once again... there are double helices on the japanese logo. A chromosomal reference is almost a given. Whether or not X and Y also refer to axises is a decent possibility, but it remains to be seen.

Yes I know (sorry, I was a bit ambiguous with the use of "X and Y"). The games themselves of course are going to heavily emphasise DNA, but the legendaries (the phrase "X and Y" referring to their body shapes) don't seem to be made very obviously male or female by Game Freak in their designs, but their contrast of horizontal versus vertical planes of space (differing from the previous mascots either being both airborne or both flightless) makes it seem likely that they, themselves, will lean more towards the 3 dimensional aspects of the game.

Back
Top Bottom