• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legendary Pokemon Speculation

BlueWaves

Join the BlueLions!
Reaction score
Posting cause we haven't seen any dedicated threads, but what do you think the Legendary Pokemon will be based on of? I heard a theory on Smogon that the Legendary Pokemon will be wolves based on the Arthurian legends, with one symbolizing King Arthur, while the other is another King that I can't remember but I think it starts with a G. As for themes, maybe Tradition vs Novelity? The UK looks like a place where it seems to combine industry and nature.

Last edited:
I think having both legendaries be wolves would be a neat concept since we haven't really seen them being so much the same before. (Yeah, Lugia and Ho-Oh are both birds but... so is a Finch and a Vulture. And Zekrom and Reshiram are part of the same dragon, but very different appearance-wise). Could just be brothers fighting over something, or kind of a war of the roses deal.

England's herald beast are a unicorn and lion aren't they? Seems like that would be a good candidate pair.

I want a legendary Dragon Pokémon based on Smaug the Golden. Dragon/Steel or Dragon/Fire. Or Fire/Steel.

Last edited:
England's herald beast are a unicorn and lion aren't they? Seems like that would be a good candidate pair.

Well, we just had Solgaleo, so I don't see another legendary lion appearing on a box cover. Simply including Pyroar & Rapidash in the region with maybe some statues or symbolism for either would be enough to get the point across. Kinda like how they had Serperior on the gates of Parfum Palace, with a Pyroar hedge maze in the courtyard.

Also, isn't there already a legendary thread for this section?

Here's my non-factual account of mascot legendary history based on my personal opinion:

Gen 1: Back then, there were no mascot legendaries.

Gen 2: Here it's Ho-Oh the ugly generic bird vs Lugia, the sleek and elegant badass bird/dragon hybrid that secretly has at least one extra typing-Psychic. Lugia is the clear winner, no matter how its name invites lugie jokes.

Gen 3: Groundon the dragon thing vs Kyogre, the beautiful Pokemon based on one of the most amazing animals in the wild, the orca. Kyogre wins, and yet its not quite as horrible a loss as Ho-Oh, as Groudon at least looks okay.

Gen 4: Dialga the cool looking steel time dragon vs Palkia the ugly fatass with a bizarre long neck. Dialga wins in all aspects.

Gen 5: Zekrom the masculine and beefy electric dragon vs Reshiram the flaming homosexual dragon. In this case, it's so close I changed my mind later, but Zekrom wins narrowly.

Gen 6: The Pokemon with pretty glowing sparkles and a "good" theme Xerneas vs the Pokemon with a dark and evil theme that looks like a vulture. Both are pretty good, tie.

Gen 7: Solgaleo the muscular metal lion vs Lunala the adorable giant moon themed bat that shows you unconditional love. Lunala wins, it's not even close.

Gen 8: Right now, it is unknown what the mascot legendaries will be, yet a storm brews on the horizon. According to rumor based on sensible speculation, both of the mascot legendaries may be wolves. This is equivalent to both legendaries being hideously ugly. This is unprecedented in the Pokemon world. Hopefully, this never comes to pass, as it would be too tragic.

Ask yourself, who would prefer that both legendaries be hideously ugly? Nobody sane. At least one should look good. And it would be terribly biased for both to be the same species. At least one should be cute like my beloved Lunala. Mascot legendaries should include more cute Pokemon, nobody cares about uber-masculine wolf crap.

Let the masculine be only one. There's precedent for this.

Here's my non-factual account of mascot legendary history based on my personal opinion:

Gen 1: Back then, there were no mascot legendaries.

Gen 2: Here it's Ho-Oh the ugly generic bird vs Lugia, the sleek and elegant badass bird/dragon hybrid that secretly has at least one extra typing-Psychic. Lugia is the clear winner, no matter how its name invites lugie jokes.

Gen 3: Groundon the dragon thing vs Kyogre, the beautiful Pokemon based on one of the most amazing animals in the wild, the orca. Kyogre wins, and yet its not quite as horrible a loss as Ho-Oh, as Groudon at least looks okay.

Gen 4: Dialga the cool looking steel time dragon vs Palkia the ugly fatass with a bizarre long neck. Dialga wins in all aspects.

Gen 5: Zekrom the masculine and beefy electric dragon vs Reshiram the flaming homosexual dragon. In this case, it's so close I changed my mind later, but Zekrom wins narrowly.

Gen 6: The Pokemon with pretty glowing sparkles and a "good" theme Xerneas vs the Pokemon with a dark and evil theme that looks like a vulture. Both are pretty good, tie.

Gen 7: Solgaleo the muscular metal lion vs Lunala the adorable giant moon themed bat that shows you unconditional love. Lunala wins, it's not even close.

Gen 8: Right now, it is unknown what the mascot legendaries will be, yet a storm brews on the horizon. According to rumor based on sensible speculation, both of the mascot legendaries may be wolves. This is equivalent to both legendaries being hideously ugly. This is unprecedented in the Pokemon world. Hopefully, this never comes to pass, as it would be too tragic.

Ask yourself, who would prefer that both legendaries be hideously ugly? Nobody sane. At least one should look good. And it would be terribly biased for both to be the same species. At least one should be cute like my beloved Lunala. Mascot legendaries should include more cute Pokemon, nobody cares about uber-masculine wolf crap.

Let the masculine be only one. There's precedent for this.
I don't get your logic. How is making Pokemon Wolves going to make them hideously ugly? You haven't even seem them. Can actually explain why you have those opinions? Like how does Reshiram give you homosexual vibes? Its never suggested anywhere on the design. The only Pokemon that maybe gives me LGBTQ vibes is Xerneas due to rainbow antlers, but that's still reading too much. Its probably a reference to Bifrost. the rainbow bridge that connects Asgard to Midgard.

Speak for yourself. I'm actually on board of them being wolves. Also, how making them wolves make them automatically ugly without even seeing the freakin' design.

Last edited:
Like how does Reshiram give you homosexual vibes?

Can I not joke? It doesn't give me homosexual vibes. It just looks slightly more feminine than its counterpart. Exaggeration.

I don't get your logic. How is making Pokemon Wolves going to make them hideously ugly?

Speak for yourself. I'm actually on board of them being wolves. Also, how making them wolves make them automatically ugly without even seeing the freakin' design.

Before I can comment further, I must know. Between Solgaleo and Lunala, which is your favorite? Did you put Lunala in your party? Is Lunala one of your favorite Pokemon ever?

Okay, not really. I don't like wolves much. If I don't like them, full stop, how could I like a wolf Pokemon, regardless of its design? I don't find them hideously ugly, that was a joking exaggeration.

I don't follow how it's nonsense to conclude that because I don't like wolves, I wouldn't like these hypothetical wolf Pokemon. I mean, that seems perfectly rational to me, who really doesn't like wolves and also illustrated wolves.

Also, granted I may have used too much joking, but I still feel my point that both mascot legendaries being masculine wolves being unbalanced for those who'd like an alternative (like past gens have offered, I could give examples) is still fair. Or are you seriously going to argue that Gamefreak will design a mascot legendary as a feminine wolf?

Can I not joke? It doesn't give me homosexual vibes. It just looks slightly more feminine than its counterpart. Exaggeration.

Before I can comment further, I must know. Between Solgaleo and Lunala, which is your favorite? Did you put Lunala in your party? Is Lunala one of your favorite Pokemon ever?

Okay, not really. I don't like wolves much. If I don't like them, full stop, how could I like a wolf Pokemon, regardless of its design? I don't find them hideously ugly, that was a joking exaggeration.

I don't follow how it's nonsense to conclude that because I don't like wolves, I wouldn't like these hypothetical wolf Pokemon. I mean, that seems perfectly rational to me, who really doesn't like wolves and also illustrated wolves.

Also, granted I may have used too much joking, but I still feel my point that both mascot legendaries being masculine wolves being unbalanced for those who'd like an alternative (like past gens have offered, I could give examples) is still fair. Or are you seriously going to argue that Gamefreak will design a mascot legendary as a feminine wolf?
Oh so that whole thing was a joke. Its supposed to look more feminine and elegant to Zekrom- there Yin and Yang. Just because you don't like wolves doesn't mean you won't like the Pokemon in the end. Though I must admit to find it strange they are dual wolves if they are doing wolves, since we had it last gen.

To tell the truth, seeing how I have seen people making claims like that seriously, you can excuse me for not getting that joke. However, I do apologize for being harsh. I would have apologized anyways since when I wrote my post I was completely stressed out, so I guess I should also say sorry for taking it out on you.

On your question on Lunala/Solgaleo: I chose Lunala because it symbolises the moon and the night. Otherwise, I would have picked Solgaleo since I find its design more appealing.

On... This topic... I just wanna say, I think GF intentionally designs the box legends to have contrasting characteristics. So it's very likely that any one person will like one legend but not it's counterpart. So I think it's safe to say that, no matter what the box legends of Sword and Shield are, they will be different enough that there's a good chance you (collective you) will like one enough to choose it over the other.

And if not, so be it. I really didn't like Xerneas or Yveltal, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the gen 6 games. I don't even like using legendaries so which one of picked had no bearing on my experience.

Why? We had Dragons every gen since the 3rd one. I think we can use a break.
I don't care so much about the Dragon typing. I just want it to be draconic in appearance. Just go the Charizard route, and make it some other type combo.

Ask yourself, who would prefer that both legendaries be hideously ugly? Nobody sane. At least one should look good. And it would be terribly biased for both to be the same species.
Also, granted I may have used too much joking,

The joking wasn’t the problem. The problem was that your writing style after a while began to sound like everyone doesn’t like wolves and shares the same taste in design as you. The hyperboles just made it worse.

Personally I’m on board with wolves. I like wolves. They’re one of my favourite animals. I also like the concepts of contrast and twins so the possibility of such a plot might result in the first games where I’m a huge fan of both legends.

I don't care so much about the Dragon typing. I just want it to be draconic in appearance. Just go the Charizard route, and make it some other type combo.
Both draconic and dragon are overused in box legendaries+trio master.

To list them out:

Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Reshiram
Zekrom
Kyurem
Zygarde
Necrozma
Groudon has dragon-like characteristics.

Generation 4 and 5 had literally only draconic box art legends in a row. And each and every third legendary turns into (if not already) a dragon.

We can do atleast one generation without a dragon in the main legendary trio.

Back
Top Bottom