• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Legendary Speculation

Reaction score
Right now in terms of the legendaries we know are in Sword and Shield (including mythicals), we just have Zacian, Zamazenta and Mew.

Whether we get all the legendaries and mythicals back in a patch or not, there is a selection process that occurs for which legends return to the new regional Pokedex alongside any new legends that appear, and I think it’s worth a new thread.

The most likely legendary I predict will return is Mewtwo, because Mew is already in and also IGN poll. Apart from him, however, I would much prefer a “less is more” approach similar to X and Y rather than the trio/quartet bombardment of gens 3, 4 and 5. I could see either the legendary birds or Raikou/Entei/Suicune returning but not necessarily both. Also expecting Meltan and Melmetal to return in some capacity, even if it has nothing to do with the Armour evolution rumor.

In terms of new legends, there’s the rumors going around about one or two more legendaries, possibly with a yellow and black theme to complete the CMYK thing they seem to be going with. I recall hearing about a walled city in a preview with a yellow and black dragon design for the gate. With British mythology to consider I could definitely see it as an opponent for the Beowolves (my unofficial name for Zacian and Zamazenta). There’s also the matter of the creature carved onto the hillside from the first preview.

I can see most Dragon-type legendaries coming back as Galar is based on the UK and the UK has deep folklore on dragons and dragon-like creatures. The only ones I don't see coming back are Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina and that's partly because of the possible Diamond and Pearl remakes. Although, if Zygarde does come back, then Xerneas and Yveltal should come back as well with both of them required to be in your party to catch Zygarde. Same idea for Rayquaza and Necrozma with their respective trios.

As for new legendaries, there's the rumored Eternitus which could be the third legendary to Zacian and Zamazenta. The way that they have shown Zacian and Zamazenta getting ready to battle at the end of that cinematic seems to imply that Eternitus (or whichever third legendary that is) will play a big role in Sword and Shield. Another detail that cinematic implies is that Pokemon can create small winds somehow, so it could most likely be a winged Pokemon.

Last edited:
I don’t really see many older Gen legendaries appearing, SwSh being the opening games of a new Gen. Returning legendaries are usually reserved the follow up SwSh2 or remake games. That’s doesn’t rule them out and there could be Gen 5 and/or Gen 6 legendaries because dragons and it being anticipated that Galar-Kalos are ‘linked’, in story terms if not geographical via a train to Couriway Town.

As for new legendaries, from the trailer with Zacian and Zamazenta teaming up, it looks like there is a for sure third. I wouldn’t mind a more limited number in total

I don’t think we’ll get much Legendary wise, while the next games will be a Legendary-Fest in vein of USUM and ORAS.

For this game I’ll predict...
  1. Legendary birds/beasts (I hope they’re the beasts)
  2. Mew and Mewtwo
  3. The Eon Duo
  4. Swords of Justice
  5. maybe the Tao Trio

Legendaries:
-The Regis, Regigigas and Complete Zygarde would make for great Max Raid battles. Kyogre and Groudon too, but they would be sad reminders that their Primal forms are gone.
-The Swords of Justice fit the region very well.

Mythicals (it's about time their event-only status dies):
-Shaymin could be found in the fields of the first routes.
-Keldeo would appear after the other 3 are caught.
-Diancie could be found in the mine.
-Hoopa Unbound and Volcanion could be Max Raids.
-Magearna could appear in the steampunk city.

I'm not expecting anything since the Dexit decision was made very late in development, but it would be fun if legendaries were allowed to live anywhere like in Gens 4-5.

I'm honestly not expecting anyone besides Mew and Mewtwo. They mentioned their goals with Dexit were balance and "to get the Pokemon that suited the setting". Legendary Pokemon are already banned from battle facilities, and we haven't seen recent games include past legendaries in very appropriate places. (XY had roaming birds, ORAS had rings on islands with only a few exceptions, USUM had Ultra Wormholes pulling everything...) Pre-Gen 6 had more theming with its settings, like that tower for Kyogre/Groundon in HGSS or the Regis in the mines of Unova, but these were generally with unique settings, not with adding them to the existing region. (The only exception I can think of is Uxie by Unova's museum)

I'd definitely like to see more, and just adding them into the world could work just fine, but it seems like that option hasn't really been done with legendaries before, and I don't know that they'd bother starting now when they could just as easily remove them.

I love the Swords of Justice. They’re probably my favorite legendary trio/quartet in the series; the main reason I don’t think we’ll be seeing them though is because they might be too similar to our box mascots, particularly Zacian.

I thought about the eon twins too, though my concern there would be an oversaturation of psychic type legendaries. We already know Mew will be available and Mewtwo is all but confirmed by proxy and popularity.

Another duo that I’ve considered, though, is Cresselia and Darkrai. I’m pretty sure I genuinely forgot to mention them in the original post because this isn’t an idea I just had. But they definitely seem to fit the region well and Darkrai is the most likely mythical I see “pulling a Deoxys.”

Other mythicals I could see making the jump though are Magearna and Shaymin, the former because of its steampunk thematic and the latter mainly because of its seemingly random promotion in the anime. And of course the aforementioned Meltan and Melmetal. Again I wouldn’t want them to go too overboard with a single legendary type be it Psychic, Fairy, or Steel.

The old ones aren't going to do anything interesting, so the fewer, the better. I don't like the idea of them being used as Max Raid fodder.

I'm not expecting anything since the Dexit decision was made very late in development,
I haven't seen that stated anywhere.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom