• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leon’s Anime Team Speculation

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
250px-Sword_Shield_Leon.png

What you you guys think that this beloved Himbo has on his Team?

Many believe that they'll stick to the games, while others believe that they will change Leon's Team massively just as they did Kukui?

We already know that Charizard and Dragapult exist. But who else could Leon possibly have?

Taking all of his SwSh teams into account, it's possible that he could use just about any of these:

Charizard
Dragapult
Aegislash
Haxorus
Inteleon
Rillaboom
Cinderace
Mr. Rime
Rhyperior
Seismetoad

In the Gotcha MV Leon's Team consists of Charizard, Dragapult, Haxorus, Aegislash, Mr. Rime and Inteleon

One thing's for sure, I think we can all safely agree that the Galar Starters have been omitted from his Team (Thanks Goh)

I also think Haxorus has probably also been omitted (Thanks Iris)

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND......

Thanks to Marnie still having Morpeko, we know it's possible that Leon could still have his game Pokemon or his Gotcha MV Pokemon

What are your thoughts?

And What Pokemon would you guys give Leon if you have the opportunity? :unsure:

I'm guessing not Aegislash since the guy who referees his battle is using one during them, and I vaguely feel like Haxorus might be out too because of Dragapult. I don't see any reason Rhyperior, Mr. Rime, and Seismitoad would need to be removed though they do sometimes changes teams up for variety purposes.

If there's a Galar starter it might be Rillaboom since Grooky might be kept as a shoulder mon.

I have a feeling Leons team will consist of the majority of Galar mons, due to them not having been showcased much. So thats at least 3 more alongside Dragapult. I can see him having Toxtricity, Mr. Rime and Corviknight, alongside Charizard and Tyranitar.

I can see Rhyperior and Seismitoad being removed in the anime for battle related purposes, since they are very defensive and aren't that flashy battle wise, which might not fit a regional champion.

This way, we can also do the match-ups
Mr Rime vs Gengar - Gengar wins
Gengar vs Dragapult - Dragapult wins and recalled
Corviknight vs Dragonite - Dragonite wins and recalled
Toxtricity vs Pikachu - Pikachu wins
Tyranitar vs Pikachu - Pikachu recalled
Tyranitar vs Lucario - Lucario
Dragapult vs Lucario - Dragapult
Dragapult vs Dracovish - Draw
Charizard vs Dragonite - Charizard
Charizard vs Pikachu - Charizard

Yeah, Haxorus could be axed also thanks to it already appearing with Iris.

Seismitoad? How does that fit Leon at all? I like the species but I prefer if it was replaced.

Galar starters-wise, Rillaboom seems the most logical option now, but Cinderace is also an option because of the football theme. I don't think we'll see a Sinnoh one since Empoleon was recently seen as Kukui's and Infernape and Torterra feel too tied to Ash, but you never know. Maaaybe regular Decidueye to make up for you-know-what.

About the others I just hope most of them are Galarian mons. I liked how Sawyer's team showcased Hoenn mons after long absences so I hope the same happens here. The ones that feel likely are Dragapult, Mr. Rime, Corviknight, Toxtricity, Perrserker, Sandaconda (through it could go to Raihan), Galarian Darmanitan, Grimmsnarl and Runerigus.

There could be popular mons from previous generations but "thankfully" Ash owns most of them lol.

I'm still going for the team I gave him that paralells Ash's:

Charizard is obvious, and with Gengar's recent Gigantamax, I feel like those two are fated to battle, making them counterparts

Dragapult has been confirmed, and it's a pseudo-legendary, so already it acts as a neat counterpart to Ash's Dragonite

Tyrantrum is a fossil Pokemon, so it acts as a counterpart to Dracovish. It's also based on a king like Leon is, so I feel it fits him thematically

Falinks is a pure Fighting-type introduced in Gen 8, acting as a counterpart to Sirfetch'd. I also just really want to see how a creature with that design and basis would fight in an animated medium.

Swampert with Mega Evolution could act as both a counterpart to Lucario and a reference/stand-in to the Seismitoad that Leon uses in the games. Gallade could also be a great option if referencing Seimitoad isn't a big concern, since it also has a Mega Evolution and unlike Swampert comes with the upside of sharing a Fighting-type with Lucario and was introduced in the same Generation, giving the two more counterpart energy. Plus, Gallade being based on a knight is also fitting for a "king" like Leon.

Finally, Alolan Raichu as a counterpart to Ash's Pikachu. I know that the whole Pikachu vs Raichu trend is overdone and we're all sick of it, but Pikachu is clearly going to rely more on 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt than his Gigantamax, and Stoked Sparksurfer just so happens to be the only signature Z-Move that hasn't been showcased in the anime yet aside from Mew's Genesis Supernova and Ultra Necrozma's Light That Burns The Skies, but somehow I doubt Leon's gonna have either Pokemon on his team, especially the former due to Project Mew, so that effectively leaves Alolan Raichu as the most viable and possibly only option to act as Pikachu's counterpart. Helps that both their signature Z-Moves are Electric-type and work off of Thunderbolt.

Mind you, I am fully expecting my speculations to age like milk on a hot day. That's absolutely fine, though: making theories is fun regardless of if you guess correctly or not.

Honestly... who even knows? Kukui looked like he was gonna have something similar to his in-game team with that Braviary and Incineroar, but then he pulls out a Lucario and Venusaur and Empoleon from absolutely bloody nowhere and threw everyone's predictions down the toilet. And we still don't know who number six is.

Leon could have anything at this point. I'm prepared for the most face-meltingly overpowered picks in particular since a good 75% of his character is about him being unbeatable. Mark my words, he'll be carrying stuff that makes Tobias look like a Bug Catcher.

Last edited:
I'm still going for the team I gave him that paralells Ash's:

Charizard is obvious, and with Gengar's recent Gigantamax, I feel like those two are fated to battle, making them counterparts

Dragapult has been confirmed, and it's a pseudo-legendary, so already it acts as a neat counterpart to Ash's Dragonite

Tyrantrum is a fossil Pokemon, so it acts as a counterpart to Dracovish. It's also based on a king like Leon is, so I feel it fits him thematically

Falinks is a pure Fighting-type introduced in Gen 8, acting as a counterpart to Sirfetch'd. I also just really want to see how a creature with that design and basis would fight in an animated medium.

Swampert with Mega Evolution could act as both a counterpart to Lucario and a reference/stand-in to the Seismitoad that Leon uses in the games. Gallade could also be a great option if referencing Seimitoad isn't a big concern, since it also has a Mega Evolution and unlike Swampert comes with the upside of sharing a Fighting-type with Lucario and was introduced in the same Gneration, giving the two more counterpart energy. Plus, Gallade being based on a knight is also fitting for a "king" like Leon.

Finally, Alolan Raichu as a counterpart to Ash's Pikachu. I know that the whole Pikachu vs Raichu trend is overdone and we're all sick of it, but Pikachu is clearly going to rely more on 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt than his Gigantamax, and Stoked Sparksurfer just so happens to be the only signature Z-Move that hasn't been showcased in the anime yet aside from Mew's Genesis Supernova and Ultra Necrozma's Light That Burns The Skies, but somehow I doubt Leon's gonna have either Pokemon on his team, especially the former due to Project Mew, so that effectively leaves Alolan Raichu as the most viable and possibly only option to act as Pikachu's counterpart. Helps that both their signature Z-Moves are Electric-type and work off of Thunderbolt.

Mind you, I am fully expecting my speculations to age like milk on a hot day. That's absolutely fine, though: making theories is fun regardless of if you guess correctly or not.
Your theories for his team are not bad at all, good stuff!

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom