• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

LGBTQ+ representation in the Pokemon anime

Do you think there will ever be LGBTQ+ representation in the Pokemon anime?

• Total voters
I actually wonder if (at least some part of) the production intends for Go to be an LGBTQ+ character. That whole hoo-hah about his ‘androgynous’ looks, plus his interactions with Satoshi and his childhood friend whose name I forget, AND the total absence of any shipping subplot with Koharu (it would have been sooo easy) have definitely raised the question in my mind… Of course it remains to be seen if they’ll actually do anything with him on a romantic front since he’s only 10 but there’s scope there especially given that he is in certain ways more mature than Satoshi. Being a co-protag who is so fully fleshed out and who doesn’t just exist to be a stereotype gives him the potential to be amazing rep!
This x 1000
As much as I don’t like the way Go is handled, a character like this speaks out so much to me and many other people. The social awkwardness, and his behaviour. He can actually show that a "normal" person from outside can be Gay/Bi. Ideal representation is just showing a normal person who just happens to like someone else. LGBTQ+ aren’t aliens, you cannot tell who is what on the outside or purely by looks, they’re your average Joe who just happens to like someone of the same gender.

Many of Go's mannerisms and behaviour subconsciously make me identify with him and kind of give me the vibes that he might have a small crush or even admiration for Ash. Of course there needs to be nothing explicit but this awkwardness is beautiful in its own way since it’s something most members of the LGBT+ go through as kids.

If Harley is gay then his flamboyentness makes him bad and stereotypical LGBT representation. The ideal LGBT representation is just a normal character like any other who just happens to be LGBT. Being Queer shouldn't be treated as a personality trait (AHEM AHEM NETFLIX).

Why? There are many gay men who do act like Harley does. LGBT people are diverse with a variety of personalities and how they present themselves. A char shouldn't have to be straight-passing to be good. I do agree there needs to be less stereotyped examples, though.
When the only bit of LGBTQ representation you can do is "effimate man who loves to cross dress and is used for gags, and here’s an effimate man that's outright spiteful to our main pretty girl", you have a problem. I won’t have an issue if there was some actual good representation scattered in between, but so far all instances without fail are honestly these instances which do more bad than good to the society.

The problem I have with Harley is that he is the first and so far the only gay-coded recurring character to-date (other than maybe Burgh or Wallace but they didn’t appear much) and yet he is characterized as villainous and sneaky. He’s kind of a stereotype of a gay man trying to sabotage the pretty girl.

He’s crossdressed as May specifically to psyche her out. In his first episode he got very precious about his cooking and his Cacturne, the basis for why he keeps trying to sabotage May.

He’s crossdressed as May specifically to psyche her out. In his first episode he got very precious about his cooking and his Cacturne, the basis for why he keeps trying to sabotage May.
His reasons came off as petty and contrived, and I think that was exactly the point: a gag based on a stereotype.

I wouldn't put faith in the anime having confirmed and undeniable gay rep, but I do like the little bits of subtext we've gotten over the years. Dawn/Zoey, Mallow/Lillie (that Revolutionary Girl Utena reference...omg) and Ash/Goh come to mind.

I forgot about that Revolutionary Girl Utena reference for Mallow and Lillie. I've only seen bits of the series, but based on what I know of it, I'm pretty sure that nod was deliberate. I remember how excited people were when that episode aired partly due to that reference.

I forgot about that Revolutionary Girl Utena reference for Mallow and Lillie. I've only seen bits of the series, but based on what I know of it, I'm pretty sure that nod was deliberate. I remember how excited people were when that episode aired partly due to that reference.
The episode not really having anything else going for it unless you're a huge Megumi Hayashibara fan probably helped, but that reference was appreciated as was the dub not cutting it.

James in the first season was the gay icon we all needed. Shame he went away from his flamboyant nature, as it really could have broken numerous boundaries had it been persisted with. I know it was more of a gag thing, but James could have been persisted as a gay figure in the anime - especially how he was characterized in the first season. Missed opportunity IMO.

The issue is that we'd have to deal with a culture (Japan) whose a lot more fond of implication than outright stating things. Given the way the games and other such work I do think there is a solid case that a lot of characters are written with the idea that they are LGBT, but we are never going to be outright told or shown in a way like a US or French show.

....Speaking of France that might also be a problem. Ladybug producers have confirmed a number of LGBT couples and orientations, but because of broadcast requirements in a lot of places cannot show them outright. I suspect Pokemon also has that problem, though I don't know how their numbers work.

(Ladybug episodes cost millions to make, I doubt Pokemon episodes do, nor do I know where their episodes are popular and the money comes from).

Slightly off-topic but still incredibly wholesome:

Non-binary Pokémon would be so cool if implemented! :bulbaLove:
This makes my heart happy, the original letter in the replies is so cute. :bulbaLove: I would absolutely love to see a nonbinary Pokémon next gen.

James in the first season was the gay icon we all needed. Shame he went away from his flamboyant nature, as it really could have broken numerous boundaries had it been persisted with. I know it was more of a gag thing, but James could have been persisted as a gay figure in the anime - especially how he was characterized in the first season. Missed opportunity IMO.

His Moltres costume was incredible! Even Jessie had to say it came out of his closet.

Why? There are many gay men who do act like Harley does. LGBT people are diverse with a variety of personalities and how they present themselves. A char shouldn't have to be straight-passing to be good. I do agree there needs to be less stereotyped examples, though.
The issue is less with Harley being stereotypical and more with the fact that the way he's portrayed is extremely negative: out of May's rivals, Harley was by far the most nasty and antagonistic one, and the fact that he's an adult man who has an incredibly obsessive hatred towards a preteen girl to the point that he'll go out of his way to sabotage and publicly humiliate her is... honestly incredibly disturbing. Harley's flamboyant personality would probably be far less of an issue if he wasn't a borderline villain and/or he wasn't the only prominent gay-coded representation during AG.

Personally, I’m not a fan of Harley being stereotypical, either. I wouldn’t mind it as much if there were also non-stereotypical gay characters, but of course there aren’t. Stereotypical characters really push the idea that you can’t have a gay character without making it blatantly obvious. Plus it sends the wrong message to young audiences who don’t know that this is meant to be satirical.

I fully doubt that they will include LGBTQ+ characters. Japan's birthrate is dropping, so they wish to support marriages, mainly because of otakus. And Pokemon is a Japanese franchise.

I fully doubt that they will include LGBTQ+ characters. Japan's birthrate is dropping, so they wish to support marriages, mainly because of otakus. And Pokemon is a Japanese franchise.
What does portraying LGBTQ+ characters in Pokémon have to do with marriage? Also, otakus have nothing to do with the reason why their birthrate is dropping lol

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom