• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: Lifeless || Sickfic Oneshot

Catz

Goodnight Everybody!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Well, here goes, my first completed oneshot. I feel a bit nervous but I hope it turned out well to those who enjoy the sickfic genre. I've been wanting to do these for a while, and I like AcademyAceShipping (Nemona x Juliana) a lot, so I decided to put two and two together and see how it'd turn out:

CW // Vomiting, Sickness, Intense Shivering/Being Cold

Nemona has never felt helpless before. Bold? Yes. Brash? A little. Battle-Hungry? Some might say; But never in her life has she felt as horrible as she does now.

And she was lucky to have someone in her life to help her through it.

It was around two in the morning. The earsplitting caw of a distant Murkrow could be heard from the window of Juliana's dorm room. Since midnight, she'd barely gotten any of her homework done, and it felt like it had only piled up more and more with each passing minute.

Her pencil lazily scraped across her seventh soon to be thrown out piece of paper when her Rotom Phone buzzed, alerting her that someone was calling her. She picked it up and saw it was Nemona. Her heart skipped a beat at the sight, but confusion clouded her gaze slightly. Why would she be calling her this early in the morning, especially as she finished her own homework two days prior? She pressed the accept call button regardless, putting the call on speaker phone.

"Hello?"

"Hola, Juliana," Nemona's voice was soft but scratchy as she spoke, followed by an impromptu cough.

"Nemona, what's the matter?"

"I'm fine, I just…" she trailed off for a moment, seemingly forgetting what she wanted to say. Juliana opened her mouth to say something but Nemona continued: "...Just a little disoriented."

Juliana pursed her lips at the reply. Something was clearly wrong, but Nemona refused to say it.

"When did you start feeling like this?"

"Dunno. Sometime between… I wanna say twelve and now, I guess. Look, don't worry about me, I'll be fine, mi amor, honestly. I’ll just sleep it off." She paused for a moment. "Alright, I'm gonna take a bathroom break. See you later!" she said, cutting off the call before Juliana could even say goodbye.

That was it. She pushed herself away from her workspace and got up. Nemona needed help, and she was going to give it to her, whether she liked it or not.

-

Upon reaching Nemona's dorm, Juliana fished through her pockets for a key, engraved with Nemona's name, a gift from Nemona herself. She inserted the key into the lock and opened the door, stepping inside.

Nemona was nowhere to be found, her bedsheets crumpled and disorganized. She figured she was still in the bathroom, as the door was closed and the lights were on. She took hesitant steps towards the door and reached up her hand to knock, before g the door open a crack. pushing the door open a crack.

Nemona’s frame was hunched over the toilet, small puddles of vomit circling the rim; it seemed like she missed a few times. She shivered intensely, barely able to move as she noticed Juliana come in.

“Juliana? W-What are you doing here?” she asked, trying to steady her breathing.

Juliana bent down to her level and gripped her hand for support. Her brows furrowed in concern when she realized it was cold to the touch, shaking significantly from Nemona’s quivering body.

“I’m here for you, querido,” Juliana responded as her hand moved to Nemona’s forehead. “You’re clearly unwell.”

Nemona forced herself to get up, stabilizing herself with the nearby sink. The blunt smile etched across her face only heightened Juliana’s sense that Nemona was sick. She put her hands on Nemona’s shoulders, looking up at her a little due to her girlfriend’s taller height.

“We’re gonna get you back to bed, alright?” she said to her. Nemona met her gaze, but looked like she was only half listening. Her expression shifted slightly and Juliana noticed her cheeks flashing a slight shade of green beneath the crimson.

Mierda, I think I’m gonna be sick…” she slurred with a moan, unable to keep her facade up any longer.

Juliana quickly moved her back to the toilet as Nemona dropped to her knees, releasing a thick stream of vomit from her mouth and into the toilet. Once she was finished, she leaned back in pain, barely able to react as another round came up, causing her to heave in the toilet again. Juliana pulled back on her ponytail with one hand, bending down to wrap her other around her abdomen. She could feel the rise and fall of it as she took in rapid and shallow breaths.

“I can’t do this, I can’t do this, I can’t do this,” Nemona groaned, slumping her head. “Everything hurts so much, and I can barely take any more of it.”

Nemona wasn’t one to show other sides of herself towards others often. Sure, it made her seem like she was one dimensional in personality, but she hated the feeling of weakness or helplessness. Things she couldn’t handle on her own always discomforted her due to her strong independence, as she felt like a burden to whoever even came to help her. But she had to admit, she felt comforted by Juliana’s side.

“Are you feeling better now?” Juliana asked her, noticing her breathing had reverted to its original state.

Nemona lifted her head from out of the bowl, only able to nod. On top of the counter were a few stray paper towels, which Juliana grabbed to wipe off her girlfriend’s face and around the toilet.
Nemona’s face faltered slightly as she leaned into Juliana’s embrace, taking a moment just to relieve herself from the sudden drain in her already worn out energy state.

Juliana nestled in the exchange, gently stroking her hair contentedly. Just the thought of Nemona feeling at ease through all of this, even if just a little, brought a smile to her face.

It took a bit of effort, but Juliana managed to pull Nemona out of the bathroom after a few moments and back onto her bed, covering her body with blankets.

“Rest now, querido,” Juliana whispered, brushing a strand of her accented green hair from her face. “I’ll call Nurse Miram, and see what we can do,” Nemona squeezed her eyes shut, tears running down her face as she began to shiver again. She tried to steady and relax herself but her breathing continued to be labored as the tears fell.

Juliana’s expression softened into a mix of concern and heartbreak at her significant other’s condition. Her hand reached for her Rotom Phone in her pocket as she dialed the number for Nurse Miram, silently praying she would pick up.

“Hello, Nurse Miriam speaking,,” Nurse Miriam's voice could be heard on the other line, lethargic and dreary from being woken up instead of her usual energetic tone.

“Nurse Miram? This is Juliana. Sorry about the sudden call, but I have an emergency.” Juliana responded, trying not to sound too panicked as she spoke.

“What’s the issue?”

“It’s Nemona. She’s burning up, and she thrown up a few times, she won’t stop shivering, and—”

“Ok, ok, calm down; deep breaths. It sounds like a fever brought on by something. What has she been doing for the past week or so?”

“Well, she has been doing a lot more training… But Nemona’s always like that, so why would it only happen now?”

“She could possibly be overworking herself. Nausea and feverish conditions can rise from those kinds of conditions, and it’s probably finally catching up with her all at once.”
“What should I do, then?”

“I say get a cool compress to put on her forehead for the time being, and get her to take two ibuprofen pills with a glass of water. I have some in my office if you want to pick them up. Try to take her temperature too, when you can.”

“Alright, I’ll do that then. Thank you so much for your help,”

Juliana hung up the call and gently shook Nemona, waking her up again. She squinted for a moment as if her vision was readjusting itself.

“What’s the matter, mi amor?” she asked.

“I just called the nurse, and I’m going to get some ibuprofen for you.”

She reached into her pocket again, this time taking out a Poke Ball. She pressed the button and her Meowscarada, Jade, was released. It eyed Nemona with similar concern, looking at her trainer in confusion.

“Jade, I need you to grab a towel and soak it in cold water to put on Nemona’s head. Look after her while I’m gone, alright?”

The Pokemon nodded and made her way into the bathroom, searching for a small towel for Nemona. Nemona reached out for Juliana as she went to leave, pulling her back.

“I need you here,” she said, her voice just above a whisper. “Please.”

Juliana knelt down and planted a small kiss on her girlfriend’s forehead.

“I’ll be back as soon as I can,” she said as Jade returned, placing the cloth on top of Nemona’s head. She sank back into her pillow savoring the relaxing feeling, drifting back into sleep again.

-

After a few minutes, Juliana returned, holding a piece of paper, a bottle of ibuprofen, a glass of water and a thermometer. Jade was still patiently at Nemona’s side, flicking her head in the direction of her trainer. Juliana placed down the items on Nemona’s bedside table and picked up the thermometer first.

“Nemona, I’m back,” she whispered into her girlfriend’s ear. "Open up."

Nemona’s eyes flickered open in slight confusion, as if she was wondering if she was still asleep. She turned onto her side slightly to meet Juliana’s gaze, her orange eyes flickering with a hopeful glint.

Nemona obeyed her command and opened her mouth just enough to place the object in her mouth.

While the thermometer did its work, Juliana opened the bottle of ibuprofen and shook out two pills into her hands. She took the thermometer from Nemona and her eyebrows raised at the result.

"105.2 degrees," she remarked breathlessly. "Oh, Nemona…"

Her gaze moved to her fragile partner, whose expression faltered at the revelation. The usual optimism and exuberant enthusiasm she had was completely gone. She needed to find a way to get it back, for the good of both of them.

"Nemona, do you think you could sit up for me?"

"I… I-I can't,"

Juliana flashed a look of concern across her face at the response.

"Why not?"

"The room, it's spinning too much…"

Juliana's expression softened as she took Nemona's hand.

"Alright, let's try something a little different. I’m going to pull you up on the count of three. Can you do that?”

Nemona nodded, letting Juliana rest her hands on her shoulders. She counted to three and slowly brought Nemona up from her position, having her sit on the edge of the bed. She still looked slightly out of it from the shift in position, but Juliana could tell she was focused on her regardless.

“Do you think you can hold down anything?” Juliana asked, readying the pills and water.

Nemona only responded with a shake of her head.

“Well you need to take this if you want to feel any better.”

“A-Alright, I’ll try—”

Nemona quickly cut herself short abruptly as she convulsed suddenly, bringing up a loose string of bile that made way into a thick stream directly onto the floor. She quickly put her face in her hands, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and despair.

Mierda, mierda, mierda… I’m so, so, sorry,” she managed to say, choking back a new round of tears falling down her face. Juliana wrapped one arm around her neck and nuzzled her affectionately, gently smoothing her bedraggled hair. She silently gestured to Jade to find something to clean the mess up, and the Meowscarada followed the command, leaving the room to search.

After a few minutes of uneasy silence, Nemona broke the mold with a sudden remark:

“Juliana… Am I a burden to you?”

Juliana pulled back from the embrace, her expression growing confused.

“What are you talking about, cariño?” she asked.

“It’s just, you’ve gone through all this trouble for me, and all I’ve done is make a mess. I’m a mess. I’m useless.”

“Nemona, look at me,”

Nemona pulled her gaze from her own hands, meeting Juliana’s.

“You aren’t useless, you’re far from it. Just because you need help doesn’t mean you’re weak. It means we’re just stronger together. We’re in a relationship for a reason; We look out for each other throughout anything.”

And for the first time that morning, Nemona smiled.

Ahhhhhhhhh I'm so happy to see another sickfic on the forums :bulbaLove: I'm a sucker for "strong/confident character showing a vulnerable side" stories, and it works so well for Nemona and Juliana's dynamic like??? Yes good.

You can really see how much Juliana cares for Nemona here, and poor Nemona. She's so physically and mentally not okay here, thinking she's weak and useless just because she's sick, and the stress of always needing to be her 110% is coming to her... bless Miriam for being available at such an hour, too.

Outside of the hurt/comfort aspect, I also thought your descriptions were really strong. They help to paint a vivid picture without overstaying their welcome.

Glad to see your work on the forums, and excited to see more of your stuff!

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom