• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lifespan of the Pokémon Franchise

I think some things to define would be "popular", for starters, and then what a "dead franchise" is.

Certainly the Pokémon FAD is over, but that by no means makes a series dead.

Lots of us, have overstepped the original question.

So far not very many people have actually stated how long they think Pokémon will last in the future, not the present.

Now I'm sure we all know Pokémon is selling great. But will it do so in the future? How will Nintendo and its affiliates keep it in the game?

After all, I showed that Pokémon is starting to lose a little momentum little by little.

I don't think rankings are as important as actual sales as far as this question is concerned. If sales are going up but rankings are going down, all that means is the gaming industry is growing faster than Pokémon is. That has no bearing on Pokémon's longevity, besides perhaps meaning it's steadily gaining a larger potential market.

I think that Pokemon will meet a sudden death with Gen V, unless GF goes back to the drawing board and tries to figure out a formula that works. See, GSC had a great formula. It clicked with a lot of us. The legendaries were right at the border between rare but powerful and demi-god. Everything just worked in the Johto games. Okay, maybe not everything. But if GF tries to 1 up the sinnoh games, they're going to have to be more creative than I think they are. Especially with legendaries. I still don't know how you top god.

I think that Pokemon will meet a sudden death with Gen V, unless GF goes back to the drawing board and tries to figure out a formula that works. See, GSC had a great formula. It clicked with a lot of us. The legendaries were right at the border between rare but powerful and demi-god. Everything just worked in the Johto games.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NostalgiaFilter

The legends were *always* weird. They never told us what made these three random birds so special, and then they threw a clone of something at us, and only then LATER did we find out what it was a clone OF.

tl;dr post-
Won't end anytime soon and will last for a long time.

Wall of text:
I think Pokemon will last a long time and thinks its imposssible for Generation IV to be the last generaton, but I do see a lack of originality in the near future.

Before you get on my case, I don't think making the God-Creator pokemon will stop GameFreak and Nintendo from making more generations, seeing how they're motivated by money, they could care less if it makes sense.

I'm just saying "THE CREATOR OF EVERYTHING IS IN THE MIDDLE DEX, ARCEUS DOESN'T EVEN MATTER, SEEING HOW THIS POKEMON IS MUCH MORE UBERZ AND POWERFUL THAN ARCEUS CUZ IT CREATED IT AND THIS NEW POKEYMANZ IS EVEN MOAR UBERS AND POWERFUL THAN THIS CUZ IT CREATED IT LOL" would get ridiculous not to mention annoying as hell.

An evil counterpart to Arceus would be ideal, but this is mainly aimed at children, and it's a franchise for all ages. Japan might be able to take it, but the rest of the world won't. Arceus is already pushing the buttons, Nintendo doesn't want Soccer moms suing them like they did ten years ago, do they? And making lower-gods of each element would be useless seeing how we already have such. We're likely to see "Creator god of creator god of creator god of creator god of Arceus" than anything. Again, I'm not saying there won't be a 5th generation. I honestly will be surprised if Generation IV is really the end for Pokemon.

Yes, they haven't ever topped Mewtwo in terms of COMPETITIVE BATTLING and STATS, but they have in terms of POSITION AND STATUS. In Gen I, Mewtwo was the result of a scientific experiment that gone wrong snd the Bird trio were just rare elemental birds representing nature. In Gen II, the guardians of the sea and sky aka Lugia and Ho-Oh were made and a little time travler was discovered. In Gen III, three golems representing parts of the Earth were created as well as the creators of land, sky, and sea. In Gen IV, the creators of time and space were created as well as Arceus, who is creator of the universe. Seeing this pattern, Gen V is likely to top Pokejesus in terms of position.

Also, to the person who said Pokemon's dead in America, it isn't dead AT ALL, even in America. As someone said earlier, the hype just isn't as big as it used to be here. America isn't the only place in the world y'know, it's motherfucking huge in Japan, its 100x bigger than it was in the 90s for USA. It has its own AIRLINES, TRAINS, X-RAY MACHINES, AND EVEN HAD ITS OWN AMUSMENT PARK AT ONE POINT. The anime has amazing ratings, the movies always reached top of box office, and the games are cash-cows. IT'LL NEVER DIE, ESPECIALLY IN JAPAN. Okay, not never since it has to die someday. Wait for 20 more years, then it might start losing popularity as long as I live before it ends I'm happy. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's too popular to end so soon.

True as that trope may be, I want to hear a decent argument against my statement. You have to admit, the legends got weird.
Legendaries are silly, and the games are making very small changes, yet people continue to buy and love the games all the same. There's no reason that would hurt the franchise in any significant way.

tl;dr post-
Won't end anytime soon and will last for a long time.

Wall of text:
I think Pokemon will last a long time and thinks its imposssible for Generation IV to be the last generaton, but I do see a lack of originality in the near future.

Before you get on my case, I don't think making the God-Creator pokemon will stop GameFreak and Nintendo from making more generations, seeing how they're motivated by money, they could care less if it makes sense.

I'm just saying "THE CREATOR OF EVERYTHING IS IN THE MIDDLE DEX, ARCEUS DOESN'T EVEN MATTER, SEEING HOW THIS POKEMON IS MUCH MORE UBERZ AND POWERFUL THAN ARCEUS CUZ IT CREATED IT AND THIS NEW POKEYMANZ IS EVEN MOAR UBERS AND POWERFUL THAN THIS CUZ IT CREATED IT LOL" would get ridiculous not to mention annoying as hell.

An evil counterpart to Arceus would be ideal, but this is mainly aimed at children, and it's a franchise for all ages. Japan might be able to take it, but the rest of the world won't. Arceus is already pushing the buttons, Nintendo doesn't want Soccer moms suing them like they did ten years ago, do they? And making lower-gods of each element would be useless seeing how we already have such. We're likely to see "Creator god of creator god of creator god of creator god of Arceus" than anything. Again, I'm not saying there won't be a 5th generation. I honestly will be surprised if Generation IV is really the end for Pokemon.

Yes, they haven't ever topped Mewtwo in terms of COMPETITIVE BATTLING and STATS, but they have in terms of POSITION AND STATUS. In Gen I, Mewtwo was the result of a scientific experiment that gone wrong snd the Bird trio were just rare elemental birds representing nature. In Gen II, the guardians of the sea and sky aka Lugia and Ho-Oh were made and a little time travler was discovered. In Gen III, three golems representing parts of the Earth were created as well as the creators of land, sky, and sea. In Gen IV, the creators of time and space were created as well as Arceus, who is creator of the universe. Seeing this pattern, Gen V is likely to top Pokejesus in terms of position.

Also, to the person who said Pokemon's dead in America, it isn't dead AT ALL, even in America. As someone said earlier, the hype just isn't as big as it used to be here. America isn't the only place in the world y'know, it's motherfucking huge in Japan, its 100x bigger than it was in the 90s for USA. It has its own AIRLINES, TRAINS, X-RAY MACHINES, AND EVEN HAD ITS OWN AMUSMENT PARK AT ONE POINT. The anime has amazing ratings, the movies always reached top of box office, and the games are cash-cows. IT'LL NEVER DIE, ESPECIALLY IN JAPAN. Okay, not never since it has to die someday. Wait for 20 more years, then it might start losing popularity as long as I live before it ends I'm happy. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's too popular to end so soon.

As much as I want to bash you for ignorance, I won't. Don't want ban. Anyways, try reading my previous posts.

Not as popular but still popular, you say? Uh-huh. Numbers are greater because more people play video games nowadays. Read the statistics I posted earlier; other games increased proportionally to Pokémon and perhaps greater.

America's cultural influence does make an impact on foreign countries, and Japan isn't exactly the biggest country. Believe me, Japs like "Kawaii" stuff. That's why that butt-ugly Pichu is so freakin' popular in Japan.

Arceus isn't All-Seeing God, it's just the creator. How many times do we have to go through this?

And who would sue? Arceus breaks no laws and is only remotely offensive if you have no grasp of world mythology and think there's only one religion ever, and even then you have to be pretty damn stupid to get offended by something that takes place in a DIFFERENT world, so anyone who tried to sue over that would get laughed out of court. No wait, they'd get laughed out of any lawyer's office. Where would the case be?

You're absolutely right. The Japs do like to innovate, but as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't seem to be the case for video games.
The US does make lots of changes to games outside of storyline and graphics. They may follow the same basis (take Sim City, for example), but plenty of features have been added. Honestly and without bias, I haven't seen very many "new" features in Pokémon

I disagree. When I think about games that are truly innovative, most are Japanese. Katamari Damacy, Shadow of the Colosseum, Rez, Phoenix Wright - just a few games from the 2000's that have tried something new instead of following old paths. Of course the US does plenty of games like these, too, but just not to the same amount as Japan. Especially since lately America has taken a liking to overly realistic brown/gray colored "cool" games (which they seem to think equals a mature game) whereas Japan doesn't mind adding a bit of color without fearing it will make it look like a "kiddie game".

It's different with franchises, of course. With them, you aren't suppose to invent something completely new every time. The perfect mix has some of the old but enough of new to make it a strong game of its own instead of just a sequel. This is what Pokemon should be (and is) doing, too - it does not make a franchise non-innovative.

Pokemon needs to die now afte Generation 4. Once they put poke-god in, that pretty much ends it for me and others as well.

Pokemon needs to die now afte Generation 4. Once they put poke-god in, that pretty much ends it for me and others as well.

You're back, eh?

They can put less powerful beings in, but I won't argue with your opinon.

You know I can respond to that comment in a rather unpolite fashion, but I will be the bigger man and person and ignore that rude comment.

pokemon will die off but not for quite some time
it'll die when they cant think of any new ideas for pokemon thats about the only way i can see it happen

I don't really see how overdoing the legendaries means they have any reason to kill off the entire franchise.

Sorry to reiterate, but they are right when they say that both Nintendo and Game Freak would be out of their mind to let their Golden egg go. It makes them way too much money to let it die off.

What I would like to see in the future, is another Pokemon Snap game, and a real RPG-like 3D game for Pokemon. Think Pokemon Stadium, but with the gameplay of Pearl and Platinum. The technology is there, they just need to make it work.

Now from a design standpoint, yes some of the newer pokemon are lacking in the originality department. But do a google search for Fakemon. Go ahead, try it. See how many results show up? Pokemon have at least that amount of pokemon for the future. As long as their design team still has arms; they'll be able to come up with new pokemon. Now it doesn't mean that consumers like us have to like their new concepts; just as long as it keeps bringing in money; they'll keep doing it.

I personally would be just fine playing Pokemon with my grandchildren 20-30 years from now. So, keep it coming!

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom