• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Like Legend of Zelda, do you think they should relase an offical timeline?

Midnight Blue

~Love Is Hard To Define~
Reaction score
Every has always wondered about the timeline of the games. We have proof about some games but others we do not. Do you think Nintendo/Game Freak should release a official timeline?

That would be interesting... we can definitely say RBGY is before GSC. And I would say Gen 4 is before Gen 5.

Though if you go on any Zelda Forum, people didn't like a timeline being released.

Yes, I wish they would release a timeline, though I figure that lately (with no evidence whatsoever) newer games have been simply placed later in the timeline, with the gaps between Japanese releases being the same as the gaps in the timeline. For example, the gap between Black/White and Black2/White2 is two years in-game and almost two years between Japanese game releases.

There doesn't really seem to be any reason to do it in any other way.

Edit: Oh, and remakes excepted.

The Zelda timeline was unnecessary and the Pokemon timeline is unnecessary as well, i think GF doesn't even acknowledges that there's a timeline, the references in the games are just Easter eggs.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have anything against a timeline, especially since it isn't crystal-clear what took place when (with the obvious exception of gen.1 taking place before gen.2 and Black/White taking place before Black2/White2). However, since the plots of the games aren't really connected to each other in a meaningful way, I don't think that a timeline would add much other than clarifying what games happened first, story-wise.

The Zelda timeline was only bad because of how deep of a hole the series was in by the time they made it. With so many random twists on the same story again and again, things stopped making sense.

For Pokemon though, I guess it could work, but with how strange some of the stories get, it might end up similar to the Zelda timeline.

All I really want to know is how long the gap between GSCHGSS/DPPt and BW1 is, I don't really care about anything else.

We know the Timeline for the most part. RBGY and RSE take place at the same time. GSC and DPPt take place 3 years later. BW takes place about 10 years after GSC/DPPt. BW2 is 2 years after BW. The only games we don't know about the location in the timeline is XY.

I'd rather they release an art book with beta concepts. We've seen unique designs for the Shadow Triad, as well as Anthea and Concordia's art that never got an official release. There's also some concept art from XY, showing Viola with an alternate hairstyle (used in her anime Chateau appearance), and that Clemont had gray and not blue eyes. We could learn so much from concept art.

We know the Timeline for the most part. RBGY and RSE take place at the same time. GSC and DPPt take place 3 years later. BW takes place about 10 years after GSC/DPPt. BW2 is 2 years after BW. The only games we don't know about the location in the timeline is XY.

How do we know this for a fact?

There's been no confirmation on how much time has passed between GSC/DPPt and BW1, actually, just that a significant amount of time has passed. 10 years sounds about right, though.

There hasn't really been any confirmation that RGBY and RSE take place around the same time either.

All we really know is this:

-GSCHGSS takes place 3 years after RGBYFRLG
-GSCHGSS and DPPt take place at roughly the same time (Lucas/Dawn start out their journey some time after Ethan/Lyra visited Lake of Rage).
-BW1 takes place fairly long after GSCHGSS/DPPt (there's no exact number, but 5-10 years sounds about right).
-BW2 takes place 2 years after BW1.

We don't know where RSE and XY fit into the timeline exactly, and we don't know how far apart the older games and the newer games are in the timeline.

How do we know this for a fact?

First 4 games have proof in the games. Between Gen2/4 and Gen 5 its a toss up. The average is about 10 years due to the Rocket Grunt from GSC in Cerulean having a child with the sprite of a Youngster.

I think the only reason they would need to release an official timeline is if they made a main series game which actually has a plot involving the other games. (The same way that Skyward Sword kind of involves other Zelda games... especially it's ending...)
But even then, they would not necessarily have to give us the exact amount of time between the games, they could just say this game occurred immediately after/immediately before that one, or long after/long before that one. Even the official Zelda timeline does not give us the exact number of years between games, but just the order and relative amount of time between the games. And we already know the order the Pokemon timeline is in anyway.
Also, as @Aldus; said, now, the games that are being released just go to the end of the timeline, and I see no reason they would change that. And, if we revisit Hoenn, that would be an exception, unless they do Hoenn sequels taking place at the same times as Kalos. So I think they probably won't release a timeline.

But if they do release a timeline for the Pokemon games, I don't want it to start with the first game... I want it to start with the beginning of the universe, space, time, life, etc. (i.e. The story of Arceus, Dialga, Palkia, etc.) And then detail all the events from there, including the significance of the other legendaries, and their stories (Mewtwo's birth, the Johto towers, etc.)

Pokemon doesn't need a timeline. Just a decent story for that individual games.
I don't want the Heros and Heroines all connected somehow.

I don't think we really need one? It wouldn't serve much purpose whereas in Zelda, it cleared up a lot of confusion with the overall plot (given certain events in Skyward Sword), and Ganon.

Rather than having something like that, I'd rather we just get in-game confirmation of when events happen, like how we knew HG/SS take place 3 years after FR/LG.

I always believed the Zelda Timeline was just Nintendo concocting something, because of the outcry of the fans. Then again, only Nintendo knows why a timeline was released.

Regardless, it would be interesting to know if there is a timeline of the main series of games. I'll even accept a map of the entire Pokémon universe.

A map... now there's something I'd like to see even more than a timeline. I do wonder if the Pokemon world's map is exactly like our own or not...

A timeline might be unnecessary, sure, but I'd like to see it if it exists. If they haven't thought about it much then there's no point, but if they have... reading what TerraTF said, the gap between Gold/Silver/Crystal and Black/White does seem about right, as if they're just setting games in the order they come out now. The gap between those two sets of games was eleven years. If that's not just a coincidence, maybe a year gap between Black2/White2 and X/Y.

Or maybe not. This is probably overthinking something trivial, but it's fun to speculate. I'll just... try to ignore the lack of ageing in certain people in Black2/White2.

Generation V is full of contradictions. Caitlin has noticeably aged, and the Rocket grunt has a son who could be anywhere in the ballpark of seven to ten years old. On the other hand, the World Tournament contestants don't seem to have aged a day. Honestly, though, I think that can be chalked up to laziness—after all, those characters aren't really relevant to B2W2's main story, so why bother revamping them?

On-topic, those of us thoroughly studying the Pokémon universe (like myself) could really use a timeline, and not just of the core series titles, but any non-contradictory spinoffs as well. I'd love to know where the Colosseum and Ranger series fit in.

And yeah, a map would be helpful while we're at it.

A map... now there's something I'd like to see even more than a timeline. I do wonder if the Pokemon world's map is exactly like our own or not...

If I had to pick, I'd definitely have a map over a timeline.
I'll just... try to ignore the lack of ageing in certain people in Black2/White2.
Well, it's only two years... What do you expect?

EDIT:
On-topic, those of us thoroughly studying the Pokémon universe (like myself) could really use a timeline, and not just of the core series titles, but any non-contradictory spinoffs as well. I'd love to know where the Colosseum and Ranger series fit in.
But do we even know if those are canon? They weren't even made by GF.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom