• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Like Legend of Zelda, do you think they should relase an offical timeline?

It was the World Tournament I was talking about. If Black2/White2 are set over a decade after the previous games, as suggested before, a lot of characters in that tournament should look much older.

I can understand the lack of change the more I think about it, really. The whole point was to battle previous characters from the series, and if they're suddenly ten years older than the last time they were seen, a lot of them would look very different, maybe act differently. It'd be interesting to see, but probably beside the whole point of having the tournament.

A map... now there's something I'd like to see even more than a timeline. I do wonder if the Pokemon world's map is exactly like our own or not...

I'd like to see a map more than a timeline, but then I think they're unwilling to do this as well since they don't want to map out areas that they may end up using for future games.

It was the World Tournament I was talking about. If Black2/White2 are set over a decade after the previous games, as suggested before, a lot of characters in that tournament should look much older.

I can understand the lack of change the more I think about it, really. The whole point was to battle previous characters from the series, and if they're suddenly ten years older than the last time they were seen, a lot of them would look very different, maybe act differently. It'd be interesting to see, but probably beside the whole point of having the tournament.
@Glitchipedia; is dead on with this. The lack of observable aging in the PWT characters can be chalked up to laziness, they just reused the models from DPPt and HGSS so they wouldn't have to spend a lot of time remaking trainer sprites for each of the characters. I'm sure if that were not the case, they probably would have different designs, especially for most of the younger characters. Or then again, they could pull an Ash and keep them from aging regardless of how much time has passed.

Last edited:

The PWT is a non-canon event. The only real canon battles in PWT is the Unova Tourney's.

Fair enough. It did seem a bit odd that a "World Tournament" would conveniently only have trainers from the regions we'd seen in games if it were canon.

About the map, I'd settle for an answer to the question "do the Pokemon world and ours match geographically or not?" Either way, that'd still give them plenty of room to plan out future games.

I wouldn't mind a timeline if for no other reason to figure out how long BW takes place after the events of Sinnoh/Johto and how long XY takes place after BW2. It isn't really necessary, per say, but it would be nice to see an official one just to clear up some questions that are namely due to the ambiguous ages of several characters.

Not that one is really needed, but I'd love to have one just for kicks. I'd be nice knowing the history of the world I'm adventuring in, and hopefully they would make it more detailed than just "Red/Green happened during x, Silver/Gold happened during x," and so on and so on.

On-topic, those of us thoroughly studying the Pokémon universe (like myself) could really use a timeline, and not just of the core series titles, but any non-contradictory spinoffs as well. I'd love to know where the Colosseum and Ranger series fit in.
But do we even know if those are canon? They weren't even made by GF.

They can communicate with the core series games, even directly battle and trade in the case of Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, and to my knowledge, there are few if any contradictions. Until we get official confirmation or denial of canonicity, that's good enough for me.

But do we even know if those are canon? They weren't even made by GF.

I feel like the first (and maybe second) Ranger games could have fit in--an injured Palkia and Dialga event in Ranger 2 coincides with what happened in DP. Ranger 3 kind of throws everything out the window with its attempt to try to shove in as many legendary Pokemon as possible. Maybe it wouldn't have been that bad if there wasn't some unexplained plot-relevant Mewtwo there.

Pokemon doesn't need a timeline. Just a decent story for that individual games.
I don't want the Heros and Heroines all connected somehow.

How does a timeline mean that all heroes and heroines are connected? It was that way for Zelda, but that's because of the lore behind it (which was supported with in-game events in Skyward Sword).

All a Pokemon timeline would do is tell us when events took place relative to each other.

I think the problem with the Zelda timeline is it felt like it was just made up to satisfy the demands for a timeline. With Pokémon, we have a rough timeline with only the specifics of two generations missing, which as others have stated is:
RGBGY/FRLG/RSE -> 3 Years -> GSC/HGSS/DPt -> BW -> 2 Years -> B2W2 -> XY
In fact, the only thing stopping us from knowing the time gap between Gens II/IV and BW is Caitlin's age. If we had that, then the only missing link would be B2W2-XY.

What would be awesome though, would be a Hyrule Historia type book that including things like unreleased concept art and the like, which included a timeline.

I think the problem with the Zelda timeline is it felt like it was just made up to satisfy the demands for a timeline. With Pokémon, we have a rough timeline with only the specifics of two generations missing, which as others have stated is:
RGBGY/FRLG/RSE -> 3 Years -> GSC/HGSS/DPt -> BW -> 2 Years -> B2W2 -> XY
In fact, the only thing stopping us from knowing the time gap between Gens II/IV and BW is Caitlin's age. If we had that, then the only missing link would be B2W2-XY.

What would be awesome though, would be a Hyrule Historia type book that including things like unreleased concept art and the like, which included a timeline.

That would be awesome. The only reason I said Legend of Zelda because I could not at the time think of a series that released a timeline(and some put it just put where the games are put which I understand). On your topic for a moment, like everyone else I would love to see a world map. They could put their mysterious clouds in and such. I feel there is so much that they are hiding from us. History of characters, towns, regions. Concepts of technology. I would even be interested what the laws are of this world and how each region interacts with each other. I don't know how but if there is not a thread maybe someone could changed the topic to like "What would you like to see in a Hyrule Historia type of book". Or something close to that.

I think the problem with a world map is, even after obscuring things with clouds, it would still limit them. I do think having detailed descriptions of the regions and characters within them would be cool though. For example, I remember some magazines in Japan revealed that Grimsley was a former gambler and things like that.

I think the problem with a world map is, even after obscuring things with clouds, it would still limit them. I do think having detailed descriptions of the regions and characters within them would be cool though. For example, I remember some magazines in Japan revealed that Grimsley was a former gambler and things like that.

The Pokémon world is expanding. A book about this world would be a great but however because it is expanding I think a book like this would come near the end of the whole series.

The Pokémon world is expanding. A book about this world would be a great but however because it is expanding I think a book like this would come near the end of the whole series.
Maybe if they were a series of books with each volume focusing on a specific region?

Maybe if they were a series of books with each volume focusing on a specific region?

That would be even better. They could concentrate more and junk on specific things in each region plus Pokémon native to that region.

It would be cool if they did that. But its not really necessary. Pokemon's not very plot driven so there's no need to connect them together.

A timeline isn't really necessary for anything Pokemon. What I'd like to see, on the other hand, is maybe a way to tie in the Ranger series and the Mystery Dungeon series to the main Pokemon world. They wouldn't have to be major plot points in the games or anything; it would just be interesting to see if the main world acknowledges their existence.

I found a timeline on Bulbapedia. Even though it's not from Nintendo, it's still interesting to look at. Click here if you're interested.

What do you think?

A timeline isn't really necessary for anything Pokemon. What I'd like to see, on the other hand, is maybe a way to tie in the Ranger series and the Mystery Dungeon series to the main Pokemon world. They wouldn't have to be major plot points in the games or anything; it would just be interesting to see if the main world acknowledges their existence.

Isn't Mystery Dungeon an alternate universe? It wouldn't make much sense to tie it into the main series.

Unlike Zelda, knowing where each Pokemon game places on a timeline does nothing to improve or enhance the experience of the series as a whole, because each Pokemon game - or at least Gen - is so self-contained. It'd be nice, but I don't see a real need for a timeline.

I think the problem with a world map is, even after obscuring things with clouds, it would still limit them.

I'd settle for knowing where the main game regions are, relative to one another. If Kalos, Unova and Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh are as far away from each other as France, the US and Japan. It's not vital information, like a timeline, but I've always been curious.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom