• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Likes and Dislikes of the Main Cast Pokémon?

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Since we're nearly 50 Episodes in I think it's fair to give our opinions on how we feel about the "Main" Pokémon in cast so far

And by "Mains" I mean Pikachu, Lucario, Dragonite, Gengar, G. Farfetch'd, Cinderace, and Sobble of course.

Say the things that you Like and Dislike about them

For example For me it's:

Pikachu
: His friendship with Mimey and interactions with Delia was sweet

Dislikes: His Power level has been inconsistent. See Mewtwo. (Tbf this happens every Generation)

Dragonite
: Big and Lovable and strong. Great to use in battles.

Dislikes: Has been mostly used as a Flying Taxi. Otherwise I've got nothing to dislike

Gengar
: Ash's First Ghost Type. It's Backstory and the Personality it had before Ash caught it.

Dislikes: The Personality it lost after Ash caught it.

Lucario
: Cute as Riolu. His Evolution felt earned.

Dislikes: Do I even need to repeat what has been said around here? Lucario taking away screentime from other Pokémon is a big worry.

G. Farfetch'd

Dislikes: Do I even need to say it? (To be fair, this'll likely change in future)

Cinderace
: The Pokémon with most Personality shown so far and he's cool.

Dislikes: He grew up way too fast. Scorbunny's Evolution felt rushed af.

Sobble
: He's Cute. Adorable interactions with Raboot. And I like that for the most part he seems to be moving away from his crying gimmick (Seemingly anyways)

Dislikes: He literally has nothing to do right now. And that's pretty boring. (Again this could change in the future)

What are your opinions on the Main Pokémon?

Pikachu
  • What I like: we saw a little of his backstory which while it didn't reveal much was at least cute, he's hilarious as Pikachonk aka Gigantamax Pikachu
  • What I don't like: in hindsight, he was a prelude to Riolu/Lucario's spotlight-hogging, what with him getting to participate in far more PWC matches than Gengar and Dragonite combined. This fact also makes it even harder for me to sympathize with him in the jealousy episode, because Pikachu honestly has the least reason to complain about a literal baby taking up all the attention out of any of Ash's current team members.

Dragonite
  • What I like: their "mother hen" personality is really sweet, and they've been quite impressive the few times they have battled. Of course, they are a pseudo-legendary, so that's to be expected.
  • What I don't like: sparse screentime, would have liked to see more of them as a Dragonair. Granted, that last one is complete bias because I personally like Dragonair a lot more than Dragonite as a design.

Gengar
  • What I like: finally, Ash caught his first Ghost-type, and a really cool fan-favorite at that
  • What I don't like: sparse screentime, has been a bit of a "Torterra" in that they get frequently beaten just to establish how strong their opponents are.

Lucario
  • What I like: was adorable as a Riolu, finally gives Ash THE one Pokemon nearly every fan and their grandma wanted to see on his team
  • What I don't like: *insert white noise about spotlight-hogging here*

Farfetch'd
  • What I like: I find their overly serious knight errant personality pretty hilarious, gives Ash his first regional variant, unexpected and unorthodox capture was a pleasant surprise, their battling style is quite unique and has some serious potential for great development... assuming they actually get it, "KAMON!"
  • What I don't like: *insert white noise about being the most neglected Pokemon of Ash's current party here*

Cinderace
  • What I like: their relationship and dynamic with Goh and Sobble are very endearing, their personality and development are pretty fun
  • What I don't like: how their evolution was handled

Sobble
  • What I like: this thing is quite the cutie and as mentioned above, they have an adorable relationship with Cinderace
  • What I don't like: hasn't done a whole lot, and I fear they might become the Togepi/Axew/Sandy of the saga... unless Chloe's Eevee becomes that instead (though ideally nobody should become a Togepi/Axew/Sandy)

Dragonite

• Like: Personality, and how that unfolded (gradually) during the capture episode, and many of the early appearances, and how it stayed consistent.
  • Dislike: Nothing (even the screentime it gets is adequate).
Gengar

• Like: Personality (when shown, but particularly in 16, 18, 23, and 25), the battle style.
  • Dislike: An actual lack of screentime that Dragonite doesn't have, inconsistency in his "ghost style."
Lucario

• Like: Good as a Riolu, it's gradual ascent into competence in battle, his battles with Farfetch'd, Grapploct.
  • Dislike: Too much screentime (though not to the degree people think), his odd role in episode 30 (that was largely "abandoned" quickly).
Farfetch'd

• Like: The battle with Riolu, the giant leek, his determination.
  • Dislike: The real "lack of screentime" problem, still don't really know too much on it (due to said lack of screentime).
Cinderace

• Like: Most of the time prior to Cinderace, the personality, his displayed interest in battle early after his capture (good contrast to Gou), his interactions with Pikachu, his break dancing, his battle style, the gradual expression it develops after "abandoning" the Scorbunny personality as Raboot, the "Ember development," the Flygon battle.
  • Dislike: Scorbunny evolving a bit too fast (13 episodes), the inconsistent behavior (though that does make sense with the issue, I suppose) early as Raboot, and then how after the resolution in episode 22, we don't see too much of that behavior regarding Gou (it still was generally aloof outside of Gou, which I suppose was fine), his sudden "diva moment" in 45 in insisting on using Ember (which in general was handled decently, but was out of place there).
Sobble

• Like: It's cute, the crying (in moderation, but particularly in the few battles it happened), it's gradual...lack of timidness (while still being there).
  • Dislike: Doesn't really do much, does it? :(
Pikachu

• Like: His story with Kangaskhan, the interactions with Mimey/Delia/Ash (at the end) in episode 30, the return of "Pikapi," general battle competence.
  • Dislike: Most of what I didn't mention in episode 30, the "out really quick" aspect of the battle with Mewtwo.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom