• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Limited 3D?

Gomez16

Reaction score
I am a fan of the 3D effect. Sure I turn it off if I cant view it properly or it gets annoying like any motion controlled game. With Pokemon X&Y I was shocked that it is almost entirely in 2D. I had gotten use to it until I went to the lost hotel which is in 3D. The effect worked well, but why only in a very few locations is the environment in 3D on the 3DS?

The fact that it is limited 3D and they launched a 2DS makes me worried more games will follow this trend.

Personally I find the game easier on the eyes as a result. I'm one of the few people who actually likes 3D and doesn't get easily disoriented, but with the limited 3D in XY it does mean I can play for longer before I get used to the effect (And therefore stop seeing it). It would have been nice to see some more 3D in the game but overall I'm happy with the balance

why only in a very few locations is the environment in 3D on the 3DS?
It is reportedly because the overworld environments are too complicated for XY's game engine to render at the desired framerate. Still, there are certain areas where the 3D effect is a major plus (Glittering Cave, for one) and it's a small shame they couldn't have it on all the time.

Here are some related tidbits:
- Pokemon XY doesn't filter object textures like most other 3DS titles do. (i.e. textures pixelate instead of blur)
- In battles, every time there is a split-screen showing two Pokemon at once, this gets rendered in 2D.
- Double/Triple/etc. battles are always rendered in 2D.
- Do a Trevenant horde battle sometime and notice a big drop in the framerate.

It was really to maximize frame rate. Even in 2D if you watch some of the battles with 2 Flying types in it, the game still lags. It's really GF's first foray into 3D modelling so possibly in the future there will be full 3D effects as well as 3D modelling.

I wouldn't mind if they'd start limiting 3D in games: it gives me migraines, and though I did buy a 2DS because of this, I've noticed some 3D-heavy games look odd with the 3D turned off. The less 3D-heavy games there are, the better they'll look on my system.

Don't even get me started on online Triple Battles. Especially if every other Pokemon sent out has a flapping wings animation. The lag... it's painful. I shouldn't even be saying that about a handheld game. :/

The 3D effects overall were pretty underwhelming, and I always got bothered by the noticeable drop in framerate every time I turned 3D on. Compared to every other 3DS game I have (heck, even Pokemon Rumble Blast, as lame as that was) it's 3D is not very good quality. All of them can create a much greater sense of depth and not lag while doing so.
As for certain games looking odd with the 3D turned off, I don't think this should be a problem. There's been 3D effects and character models in video games long before 3D imagery/simulation was even a widespread thing.

The 3D effects in XY were terribly distributed and very disappointing. There were a ton of places that could've benefited from it, and I find it so ironic how they advertised 3D battles and how cool they were in 3D only to have it suffer from lag.

I don't need the 3D to somehow be able to enjoy a 3DS game or anything, but IMO, if a game is on the 3DS then at least the vast majority of the game should be able to have the 3D effect turned on. Only allowing 3D in a small number of certain places felt lame, and if you had the feature turned on all the time it would of course automatically turn itself off, which made things like constantly switching between battles and the overworld a pain to play.

When you look at other games on the 3DS, XY's 3D effects falls extremely short and I can only hope that GF knows what they're doing in their next game, cause to me it didn't really look like they did in XY.

As for Nintendo releasing a 2DS, I don't think it will affect the future 3D effects of 3DS games at all. The 2DS is primary targeted at a younger audience, whom Nintendo had previously advertised to not use the 3D effects on the 3DS because of health concerns. Now parents can buy their child a 2DS and won't have to worry about the 3D effects at all, something that may have restrained them from buying a 3DS before. It was designed to bring in more people to the 3DS, not to narrow down on the 3D effects, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Last edited:
I think limited is better. Not thrown in your face and over done.

I like the way the 3D is. I personally don't use the 3D feature at all on any of my 3DS games. Besides. the battle are so slow with it even on the lowest setting.

Meh, don't really care. It's not like it adds to or takes much from the game. It's not Mario 3D Land, which is so far still the only 3DS game I've played where the 3D effect makes any difference in terms of perception and immersion. As an RPG, it's largely unnecessary to show off that effect.

Just like the Touch Screen in the DS and the 3D effect now, it amuses me that people are baffled some features in the system are not used by some games. God forbid they just seek to use the horsepower of the system to make games that are still awesome despite not using any of the "main" features.

I remember getting the game and my first thought when doing my first battle in 3D was "Man, this lag is awful." It is especially disappointing once one looks at Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening.

I think that in general, GameFreak simply dislike 3D. For example, their currently only post-XY release title Soriti Horse is entirely in 2D as well, despite being a small and simple eShop game. HarmoKnight was in 3D, but 2/3 GameFreak 3DS games don't use full 3D. I always play my 3DS with the 3D cranked up to the max, but I honestly don't mind Pokémon XY being 2D; I just hope they sort of the lag with the 3D models (Horde Battles are painful).

I don't really think that the lack of 3D is the problem in Pokémon XY, but the fact that the 3D effect in the battles is very bad.

I don't know if some of you have noticed, but when I am experiencing the 3D in the battles, I really think that the battles becomes less flowing and more stiff, if you can say so. The movements of the attacks and the Pokémon becomes less flowing, which is a shame, since the 3D is one of the main concepts.

But fortuneatly, you can turn it off and in that way avoid the problems. But I would still appreciate a better 3D effect in future Pokémon games, so hopefully Game Freak will find a way to fix it :)

I always thought of it as a gimmick. I never use it. The 2DS is targeting children, mainly. However, it's a cheaper alternative for an adult, who doesn't like 3D.

Can't care less with the 3D effects. I'm one of those who finds the 3D effect completely unnecessary, so doesn't affect me anyway. Besides the graphics in the game looks beautiful anyway.

I really like the 3D effects a lot. I do like how there's only limited 3D in X/Y, especially with how hard it was on the eyes for the GTI game. I'm glad we can turn 3D off it at any time.

In my experiences, the 3D effect is only straining across long sessions, and in direct proportion to how high it is. Setting the 3D slider to about 1/3 provides a subtle touch without the strain.

Some games do it really well. I thought the 3d in resident evil was perfect I turned it all the way up and the extra 3D in the menu as well.

I don't mind the fact that the game limits the use of 3D. Nowadays, I only turn it on during a special part of a game, such as some boss fights and cutscenes. Since the 3D isn't on during moments I don't consider special, it doesn't bug me at all.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom