• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

List of challenge runs

ImperialFeline

Reaction score
So I'm making a list of all the challenge runs and their rules.

Challenges
The list so far!

Nuzlocke - If a pokemon faints it dies. Only catch the first pokemon you encounter in an area. (optional) Duplicates clause: If you've already caught the first pokemon you encounter, you may catch the next one instead.

Wedlocke - All pokemon must be in male + female pairs.

Egglocke - Only use pokemon from eggs you hatched.

Solo - Only use one pokemon.

Scramble - Pokemon used are decided by the community or a randomizer.

Character - Only use the pokemon of a specific character (e.g. youngster Joey).

Monotype - Only use one type of pokemon.
Wonder Trade - Only use pokemon obtained through wonder trade, usually a limited number such as 3 or 6.

Unevolved - No evolving.

Wonderlocke - A combination of wonder trade and nuzlocke.

Genlocke - Only use pokemon from the generation that game was introduced. (unable to be done in black/white)

Kalos Pokedex (single) - Only use pokemon in one of the Kalos pokedexs (dexi?).

Kalos Pokedex (switch) - Only use pokemon in the pokedex of the area you are currently in.

Christian - No evolving, no potions, no fossils, no snake pokemon, no dark, physic, or ghost pokemon or moves, no game corners and no using items like pp up or rare candy. Pokemon cannot breed until lv. 22 and two pokemon of the same gender may not share the daycare. If an egg is obtained it must remain on the party until level 18. Ignore science labs whenever possible.

Anime - Only use the pokemon of the anime protagonists during that games arc.

Sleeplocke - A nuzlocke challenge with the additional rule that if you fall asleep (in real life) before beating the game, you lose.

Alphabetlocke - Only use the first 6 pokemon you own in alphabetical order on your team.

Chancelocke -

Scavenger - Use only pokemon given to you. Use only found or gifted items. Spend no money.

Dual-Locke - A nuzlocke done by two people.

TCG Run - Buy a basic pack of poekemon cards. The cards you get are the pokemon you can use.

No STAB - Don't use any moves that get STAB.

You Must Be This Tall - Don't use pokemon over a predetermined height.

Alchemist Challenge -

Zubat Challenge -

Top Ten -

Milestone -

The Beatles -

The Criminal -

Chess Set Team -

Prime Number - Only use prime numbered pokemon

Pokemon of Destiny -

Additional Rules
These rules aren't really their own challenges but can be added to others.

Permadeath - Can be added to any challenge not already containing it for additional difficulty.

Nicknames - Often added to increase emotional attachment.

If you know of any others (even if you just made them yourself) let me know so I can add them to the list.

Last edited:
Wonderlocke - Nuzlocke variant involving the WT. E.g. after catching a wild Pokemon you WT it and use whatever you get in exchange.

Does this one that I created myself count?

THE KALOS POKEDEX RUN (Pokemon X/Y only)

Basically, pick one of the three Pokedexs and stick with it.

Central - Beat the game using only Pokemon from this Pokedex. Do not use any Coastal or Mountain Pokemon.
Coastal - Beat the game using only Pokemon from this Pokedex once you have obtained it. You may use Central Pokemon only until you obtain the update, then you must switch them out and not use them again. Do not use Mountain Pokemon.
Mountain - Beat the game using only Pokemon from this Pokedex once you have obtained it. You may use Central and Coastal Pokemon until you obtain the Mountain update, but you must switch them out and not use any of them again.

....does that make any sense?

Genlocke - only use Pokemon from one gen (the gen your game was introduced).

Does this one that I created myself count?

THE KALOS POKEDEX RUN (Pokemon X/Y only)

Basically, pick one of the three Pokedexs and stick with it.

Central - Beat the game using only Pokemon from this Pokedex. Do not use any Coastal or Mountain Pokemon.
Coastal - Beat the game using only Pokemon from this Pokedex once you have obtained it. You may use Central Pokemon only until you obtain the update, then you must switch them out and not use them again. Do not use Mountain Pokemon.
Mountain - Beat the game using only Pokemon from this Pokedex once you have obtained it. You may use Central and Coastal Pokemon until you obtain the Mountain update, but you must switch them out and not use any of them again.

....does that make any sense?

Or what if you have to swap out your team each time you get a new Pokedex addon? So you'd have like three different teams by the end.

Genlocke - only use Pokemon from one gen (the gen your game was introduced).

So basically Black and White? :p

There was the joke of the Christian run which was: no evolutions, no potions, no Snake, Psychic, Ghost or Dark pokemon, No legendarys, No game corners, and no fossils. Pretty much just Pidgey and Rattata all the way through.

There was the joke of the Christian run which was: no evolutions, no potions, no Snake, Psychic, Ghost or Dark pokemon, No legendarys, No game corners, and no fossils. Pretty much just Pidgey and Rattata all the way through.
I had seen this before, although here's the rules that I saw:

1. Players cannot let their Pokemon evolve
2. Players cannot catch Dark, Psychic, or Ghost Pokemon. In addition, moves of these types also cannot be used.
3. Pokemon must be at least level 22 before they breed. Two Pokemon of the same gender cannot share a day care center.
4. If a player obtains an egg, it is their duty to keep it in their party and raise it until it reaches level 18.
5. Legendaries are false idols and must be killed, never caught.
6. Players cannot use fossils and should ignore science labs whenever possible.
7. Players cannot play at Game Corners and must avoid the benefits of items like PP Up and Rare Candy.
8. Players cannot catch Snake-type Pokemon.

I'm at work and all the posts that had it laid out specifically are blocked. I did my best! Thanks for elaborating on it though.

The Anime Run

Beat the game using only Pokemon used by the anime protagonists during that particular game's arc. As an example, if you're playing Black or White, the aim is to catch and use ONLY Pokemon caught by Ash during that particular arch, as well as those caught by Iris and Cilan. Evolutions are not strictly disallowed.

The Scavenger Run:
Only use Pokémon that are given to you as gifts, and do not spend any money. (Basically meaning that you can only use items that you have found or received for free.)

The Obamacare Challenge:
Don't use Pokémon Centers.

Gotta catch em all:
Player must try to catch all pokemon they meet that they have not yet obtained. This includes trying to get enough money for pokeballs and coins.
Players must, if possible, only use pokemon that can evolve via level up or happiness. Unless the evolved form is already obtained.
Pokemon that evolve via another method, i.e. stones or trade might be exempted if they prove to tiresome.
Trainers might only use fully evolved pokemon once they have no more pokemon that can evolve via level up or happiness.

There is also an Avatar last air bender challenge, team rocket challenge, and a hippie challenge somewhere on the internet.

Added scavenger, and dual-locke.

Adding tcg run.

Added No STAB.

Added You Must Be This Tall.

Started adding alchemist, top ten, milestone,the criminal, beatles, chess set team, and zubat challenges.

Added Prime Number Challenge.

Started adding pokemon of destiny.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom