• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan s

The amount of homophobia and racism in this thread is astounding

(note: not accusing anyone of anything, just noting that as a whole)

What I find more interesting than the name itself is that all of the Pokemon fan sites took down the list. What is their motivation for doing this? Are they trying to sow the seeds mistrust w/r/t the list? Discuss.

Racism? wat. And the "Homophobia" is just because well. Desukaan's name has something that'll likely be made fun of by a lot of immature brats :I

Probably because they're real and Nintendo asked them to remove it? There's no other reason.

Re: List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan s

#533 - Gurdurr
#534 - Conkeldurr

Durr.

But seriously, the one I actually find pretty funny/dumb is the Woobat/Swoobat family. I misread Woobat as Wombat the first time I saw it.
If this is all real, I can't believe the Tepig line's names. Pignite and Emboar. The names everyone guessed.

Racism? wat.

Several comments have arisen w/r/t Zuruggu and Zuruzukin.

And the "Homophobia" is just because well. Desukaan's name has something that'll likely be made fun of by a lot of immature brats :I

Doesn't mean we have to stoop to the level of 9-year-olds... let's approach this from an adult point of view rather than an immature one.

Probably because they're real and Nintendo asked them to remove it? There's no other reason.

What happens if Bulbapedia doesn't remove it?

Several comments have arisen w/r/t Zuruggu and Zuruzukin.

Doesn't mean we have to stoop to the level of 9-year-olds... let's approach this from an adult point of view rather than an immature one.

What happens if Bulbapedia doesn't remove it?

Ohhh, yeah, I expected that.

We're not stooping [Or at least I'm not] but we're just pointing out that this is what 9 year olds will do and make fun of, and it's something we're gonna dread for a while

Cease and desist?

It's pointless now. We're reporting what we know.

I don't know if it's been pointed out, but I believe Cofagrigus is a mix of "coffin/sarcophagus" and "egregious", meaning exceptional in a negative way.

I don't know if it's been pointed out, but I believe Cofagrigus is a mix of "coffin/sarcophagus" and "egregious", meaning exceptional in a negative way.

And that's the problem with some of these names, they try to combine too many things that it doesn't even roll off the tongue any better than their Japanese names. I mean, what's the point of localisation when you choose a name that's just as difficult.

Sarcophin. See, simple pun.

Just because they use big clever words, doesn't make the name any more clever if they don't flow nicely.

Also, wow it has three letters that spell fag in it. You have to be the stupidest of the stupid to find offense in a coincidence like that.

Also, wow it has three letters that spell fag in it. You have to be the stupidest of the stupid to find offense in a coincidence like that.

I like Sarcophin.

And sadly I know a lot of people who ARE that stupid.

#532 – Timburr
#533 – Gurdurr
#534 – Conkeldurr

DURRRRRR...

Seriously, I hope most of the names on that list in PokeBeach is fake. Some of these names sound so dissapointing/awful that its like a punch in the throat to say them.
Minus mother-fucking BISHARP!

I'm fine with these names, 'specially Braviary. Makes sense. Besides, Wargle would still sound a lot like gargle and I'm pretty sure it'd have them kids giggling a bit.

Bianca fits for Bel although I thought they were gonna rename Cheren into Nero, which is Italian for black. Ah wellz.

Bird Keeper Kathy said:
I'm fine with these names, 'specially Braviary. Makes sense. Besides, Wargle would still sound a lot like gargle and I'm pretty sure it'd have them kids giggling a bit.

I can't speak for everyone, but until you brought that up, I never made that consideration.

And trust me when I tell you that TCPi isn't going to let a main character in the Anime have the name of 'Dent.' If you can't understand why, it's for a similar reason that Isshu was unacceptable.

Is it because they sound similar to an actual word?

If that is what you're going at, I disagree with the idea that Isshu sounding like issue makes Isshu unacceptable. Everyone in the dub can just say "E shoe" and it should spread around that the region is not named "issue." Sure it takes months between the time the name "Isshu" is revealed for American games and the time the Best Wishes! dub first airs, but the months won't compare to the years Best Wishes! will be on.

For the unconfirmed names... I like 'em, for the most part. Except Scraggy and to a lesser extent Scrafty. I know they probably derived it from the adjective Scrappy (much like the ability), but it reminds me uncomfortably of the TVTropes definition of Scrappy, which makes me paranoid that these two will become Scrappys. I know it's kinda ridiculous, since they already appeal to people with their "gangsta" looks and personalities, but I still worry.

As for the confirmed names... I like 'em too. Even Cofagrigus. I don't worry about immature people much.

I can see why they changed Braviary's name from Wargle; probably the same reason they chose not to change LeafGreen into WaterBlue; Not wanting to show conflict; after all, it had "War" in its name.

As for the unconfirmed names...I don't like a lot of them, but I'll live. Shame Daikenki isn't "Bushelldo".

It's kind of annoying that some of these are hard to pronounce with my accent, or at least confusing, for example:
*Should I pronounce Sawk as 'sock' or 'sork'? 'Sork' is how 'Sawk' would be pronounced, but that's not going to work if it is a curruption of 'sock'.
*How should I pronounce the 'a' in Scrafty? As in 'scrap(py)' or as in 'crafty'? One's a short A and one is long.

I suppose this happens all the time and I've just gotten used to the confusing names, though.

*How should I pronounce the 'a' in Scrafty? As in 'scrap(py)' or as in 'crafty'? One's a short A and one is long.
I'd say as in Crafty.

I think for this generation, TPCi should do a phoenetic guide.

They were planning to do one a while ago but I guess nothing ever came of it.

They were planning to do one a while ago but I guess nothing ever came of it.
I actually remembering reading on your site a while ago that fans had trouble pronouncing certain Pokémon; for example, Americans had trouble pronouncing "Dusknoir" (but obviously in Europe and Canada, French is commonly spoken). They really should though, considering the inconsistencies (4kids Dub, TPCi Dub and Battle Revolution).

I like some of the new English names, but there are others that I just don't like. I can appreciate Sawsbuck for Mebukijika since it contains a clever reference to the four seasons, but I dislike Woobat for Koromori. There's something too simplistic about the name. Same goes for Kokoromori's English name (Swoobat).

It's kind of annoying that some of these are hard to pronounce with my accent, or at least confusing, for example:
*Should I pronounce Sawk as 'sock' or 'sork'? 'Sork' is how 'Sawk' would be pronounced, but that's not going to work if it is a curruption of 'sock'.

I suppose this happens all the time and I've just gotten used to the confusing names, though.

In America (where the games were localized) there's no two-ways about either of these. Sock and Sawk, while slightly different in pronunciation, are, for all intense and purposes, homophones. The 'a' in Scrafty is going to be short, since, in America, 'crafty' and 'scrappy' have the same short-a sound.

In America (where the games were localized) there's no two-ways about either of these. Sock and Sawk, while slightly different in pronunciation, are, for all intense and purposes, homophones. The 'a' in Scrafty is going to be short, since, in America, 'crafty' and 'scrappy' have the same short-a sound.

I know, but these are the english names, not just the American ones. For every english-speaking, Pokémon-playing country. It gets annoying because this is The Pokémon Company International now and they should be thinking things through a little more than, "Hmmm sock...Sawk...Yeah, let's go with that!"
What about Britain, Australia etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom