• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan s

I know, but these are the english names, not just the American ones. For every english-speaking, Pokémon-playing country. It gets annoying because this is The Pokémon Company International now and they should be thinking things through a little more than, "Hmmm sock...Sawk...Yeah, let's go with that!"
What about Britain, Australia etc.?

I think they have enough faith in British/Australian people to think "Oh, this is an American translation, how would an American say this?" Like for pokémon like Raichu, we have to think "How would a Japanese person say this?"

I'm sure it works both ways too. Where the American audience may have some confusion but it's perfectly clear for others.

However, official pronunciations WOULD be nice to have, no doubt. For consistency's sake, if nothing else. (This coming from someone who still uses a soft "c" in "Arceus," because that's how it's said in Japanese)

Re: List of Generation V English names revealed: List quietly gets removed from fan s

Problem is, I can imagine a lot of my fellow Europeans having to put on terrible American accents to pronounce some of them correctly xD.

I think they have enough faith in British/Australian people to think "Oh, this is an American translation, how would an American say this?" Like for pokémon like Raichu, we have to think "How would a Japanese person say this?"

I guess. I'll accept this a little more this gen because Unova is based on parts of America, so I guess it's allowed to be more American with its names. But I really think it'd be helpful if they hired more people with a range of common english-speaking accents or something just to check for as much consistency between accents as possible. I know they're never going to completely avoid differences between accents, but it'd be nice if we didn't lose the entire pun over something as silly as a short 'o'. This was my problem with Wotter, but it can be excused for Oshawott because that's not the entire point of the name.

I stopped caring about Pokemon pronunciation long ago. Especially since I tend to pronounce words as I first see them.

Ar-see-us FTW.

I like the English names so far, especially Escavalier, Volcarona and Cryogonal.

Lil 9/yolds? Lol you guys really dont think teenagers r gonna be laughin' off that name?

I dislike a lot of the names on that list... I hope they aren't real.

Axew- "Axe" + "chew" (as in with teeth). At least the localization kept the pokemon's tooth reference.

Braviary- "bravery" and "avairy." "Bravery" was the closest word the localization could have picked to preserve the "war" reference indirectly. Avaiary as in aviation, since it is a flying-type.

Patrat- One of the better English names, imo. It keeps the watching reference with "patrol." However, Patrat/Minezumi is not a rat; it is actually a chipmunk. I'll give the localization the benefit of the doubt since the name not only rhymes but it is also easy on the tongue.

Woobat- "Woo" (gaining someone's attention, rerference to its heart) + "bat." The localization purposely had Woobat sound phonetically similar to its predacessor, Zubat. Not that I mind this reference.

Drilbur- "Drill" + "Burrow." Alright, I guess.

Cofagirius- Oh, this one... "Coffin" + "egregious" (exceptionally negative or bad, a reference to its ghost-like state) + "sarcophagus." My main issue with the name is of course the spelling. With the 10-letter limit, it is difficulty to combine these three words/references together while at the same time fit.
Maybe the localization could have replaced the "a" in the name with "e," so as to cease the immature joking. Obviously they couldn't keep the "Desu/Death" reference in its Japanese name, but I commend the localization for trying to create a unique name under tight circumstances.

Musharna- same as in Japanese.

Gothitelle- A mediocre romanization of "Gothiruselle." With the 10-letter limit in each name, it was obvious that some changes had to be made. I would have liked it better if the localization used "Gothiselle" instead.
Not only would that name have kept the pokemon's "goth" reference but also the "mademoiselle" (French for lady) from its Japanese name. It could have been done, as it only replaced one letter in the 10-letter word.

Reuniclus- "Reunite" + "nucleus" or "homonculus" (artificial being). Again, a faulty romanization of "Ranculus." It is one of the strangest names on the tongue, but it could be done. Imo, this is how the name is pronounced: the first two syllables of "Reunite/Reunion" and add the last syllable of "homonculus." It's not bad; most of the issues with this name are with how it is (or should be) pronounced.

And now with the people/places.

Cheren- same as in Japanese.

Bianca- I prefer this name over the simplistic "Bel." Not only does Bianca sound more feminine as a name, but it also preserves the "white" reference for this rival to a tee. Good work.

Fennel- What is this? It is quite obvious that there is a plant reference in the name. I'd like to think that "Fennel" could be the character's surname, similar with "Juniper" and some of the other professors in the series. It's not bad but it is not that great, either.

N- same as in Japanese.
Black City/White Forest- same as in Japanese.
C-Gear- same as in Japanese.

Now the moves/abilities...

Mummy- same as in Japanese.
Overcoat- Well, one does wear an "overcoat" to protect themselves and their clothing from weather conditions. With the pokemon that have access to this ability (i.e. Wormadam, Kurumiru's line, Forretress), I'd say Overcoat is a better name than "Dust Proof."
Sand Rush- The ability makes a lot of sense and it fits. It only works during a sandstorm and doubles the pokemon's speed.
Sand Force- Similar with Sand Rush; grants pokemon sandstorm damage immunity and increases the power of their Rock/Steel/Ground type attacks (the only types that are naturally immune to sandstorm damage).
Telepathy- same as in Japanese.

After You- similar to "Go Ahead," the reference is the same so I don't mind either or.
Dual Chop- similar to "Double Chop," again either or is fine.
Heart Stamp- same as in Japanese.
Sky Drop- Well it does not have the "free fall acceleration" reference that was present in its Japanese name, but it is still good imo.

For the most part, attacks/abilities and important characters were relatively unchanged. The pokemon will have the most changes to their names with the localization.

Again, these are the names that were officially revealed on the English Black/White website and IGN. Until proven otherwise by an official source (not a fansite), the "names" of the other pokemon are still unconfirmed.

Last edited:

The Unova Region legendary pokemon should not change their respective names..

I can see why they changed Braviary's name from Wargle; probably the same reason they chose not to change LeafGreen into WaterBlue; Not wanting to show conflict; after all, it had "War" in its name.

As for the unconfirmed names...I don't like a lot of them, but I'll live. Shame Daikenki isn't "Bushelldo".

I can personally guarentee you we will never have a pokemon with War in it's name in america, they took the Army out of Chillarmy too.

And that's the problem with some of these names, they try to combine too many things that it doesn't even roll off the tongue any better than their Japanese names. I mean, what's the point of localisation when you choose a name that's just as difficult.

This is my problem with a lot of the Gen V and a few of the Gen IV English names. They end up being harder to pronounce than in the first place.

I can personally guarentee you we will never have a pokemon with War in it's name in america, they took the Army out of Chillarmy too.

Wartortle.

Again, these are the names that were officially revealed on the English Black/White website and IGN. Until proven otherwise by an official source (not a fansite), the "names" of the other pokemon are still unconfirmed.

The list could easily be real.

Back when I was following Smash Bros. Brawl speculation, all sorts of lists popped up. Most of them were quickly proven fake. After Lucario, Ness and Jigglypuff were leaked, one list appeared that was especially controversial. Nearly everyone was skeptical about it for its small size and its choice of what characters made it.

Guess what the final roster ended up being?

My point is that lists like these are not to be immediately discounted unless they’re obviously fake. They shouldn’t be believed 100% of the time either, but always keep in mind that somebody, somewhere, may have leaked the real deal.

Bah why'd they have to go and change Kibago to Axew, Kibago just sounds more cute.

I remember the sticker leak. Good times.

This is still early, but considering what we've learned since the leak, these are most likely real.

Some of them do see a bit too clever for one or two fans to have made them all up. Tabunne's supposed English name, Audino, perfectly combines the hearing aspect with the uncertainty aspect. Or the one for Shinbora, Sigilyph, combining the magic symbol with either glyph or lift for flight. A lot of these have "committee" written all over them.

This is my problem with a lot of the Gen V and a few of the Gen IV English names. They end up being harder to pronounce than in the first place.

That and their nasty habit of changing Japanese names that are in English already, and fit the character limit, into other English names (though sometimes its forgivable in that the name is actually better), or worse, Japanese name into another Japanese name.
I'd say as in Crafty.

I think for this generation, TPCi should do a phoenetic guide.

Even those phonetic guides could have inconsistencies unless they used IPA, in which case kids won't even understand the symbols. I think what would be best is if they put Pokemon pronunciation on their websites and have someone who actually knows how to pronounce it, and have a little button to hear it like they do on some Wikipedia articles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom