• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Little Cup Wi-Fi Tournament (Nintendo Online Competition)

Reaction score

The big Pokémon have had their fun—now it’s time for the rest of the Pokémon to play! In the Little Cup Online Competition, the rules have been designed for quick, exciting battles that are easy for anyone to play. You can’t use any Pokémon that have evolved or that are incapable of evolving. For example, you can use Charmander, but not Charmeleon or Charizard. And you can’t use Kangaskhan because it doesn’t evolve into any other Pokémon. What’s more, all Pokémon will be set to Level 5 for the duration of the battle!

All battles will be Single Battles using Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. You’ll need to have a party of 3–6 Pokémon, but you’ll choose only 3 for battle. Your team of Pokémon must have been acquired in Pokémon X, Pokémon Y, Pokémon Omega Ruby, or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire. Consult the regulations for additional restrictions.

Read more info about the competition on Bulbanews or click on the picture to go to the Pokemon.com website for rules and regulations.
Haven't tried Little Cup myself but I'll give this a try, no idea who I'll pick for the team though. It'll let me dust off some long-pending projects that haven't been trained yet and I'll look into Smogon's banlist to figure out how to play around the banned stuff.

*checks Bulbapedia* Snivy can learn Leaf Storm and Inkay can learn Superpower...Let's go team Contrary!

Scyther, Sneasel + Swirlix: the metagame.

I actually used to play LC a lot back like a year ago... why on earth didn't Nintendo ban stupid stuff for their tourney like Sneasel, Yanma, and Scyther? Scyther has never been unbanned in ANY LC meta.
Oh well. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the people who ban PHIONE of all things in their tournaments where they let abominations like Mega Salamence run free.

I actually used to play LC a lot back like a year ago... why on earth didn't Nintendo ban stupid stuff for their tourney like Sneasel, Yanma, and Scyther? Scyther has never been unbanned in ANY LC meta.
Oh well. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the people who ban PHIONE of all things in their tournaments where they let abominations like Mega Salamence run free.

Whoa, whoa, so guys like them (with THEIR base stats) are allowed? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a Little Cup?

I'm looking forward to participating in my first Little Cup this year! uvu
If anyone wants to do some LC practice battles so we can test out our teams feel free to hit me up.​

So I played the tourney yesterday. Sneasel was nearly useless -- everyone expected him so every team had multiple hard counters. Sneasel can literally not do anything against a defensive Growlithe.

Also, Swirlix is...surprisingly frail. I tried running the calcs myself but couldn't figure out how this happened -- an opposing Archen who was unboosted and clearly did not have Life Orb or a Band did over 50% damage to my max HP, max Def Swirlix who had +3 Def from Cotton Guard.

Oh, and a King's Rock Sneasel used Poison Jab on me and got a crit, poison and flinch all in one hit. The hax are un. Real. In official tourneys.

All in all it was a pretty crappy tournament. A tiny selection of viable mons and their counters. No surprises, nothing neat or fun, no cool or unique strategies. Just LC Ubers doin' what they do.

Anyone who thinks Smogon is too ban-happy and too persnickety with their rules should just play a few Battle Spot tournaments and see how incredibly boring they are.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom