• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Little encounters with other Pokemaniacs

Reaction score
So I thought we could have a thread to discuss those moments when we happen to discover that some other person, like a stranger on the bus or waiting in line or whatever, is also a Pokemon fan.

Today I was riding the T (Boston's subway system) home from class and I saw that the dude sitting next to me was playing Pokemon - I'm not sure which game - on his DS. He wasn't very good at it, though; he was using a Swellow against an Electrode, which the Electrode proceeded to 1-hit KO. I was going to make a suggestion but I worried I'd sound presumptuous; maybe he was out of good Pokemon or something.

Anyone else have those moments?

One time this kid and I did a quick 3 vs 3 battle on the bus. We both missed our stops, but it was pretty fun. |D; Never saw him again, it was many years ago, but still, quite fun.

I can't think of a time. Ever.

Except, my mums best friend has a daughter, about 4 years younger than me. My mum always says how she is just like me, but younger. When she was 15 she died her hair bright red behind her mums back (like me), likes the same music as me, is about to start stretching her ears (like me), has just applied for the same University as I have just graduated from and to top it off, when I was in GAME going to buy Black2, I ran into my Mum's friend. Turns out her daughter is obsessive over Pokemon too! Funnily enough we've never met.

The time I turned up early to a lecture and caught my Entomology professor playing Pokemon Heart Gold on his DS. His response? "You wouldn't have a copy of this game too, would you? I really want a Scizor".

At the midnight premiere of the final Harry Potter movie, there was a kid in the theater playing his game boy advance with leaf green in it sitting on a couch waiting for midnight to come around. He noticed me because as I was walking into the theater with my friends, I was playing on my gameboy advance with yellow version. The kid was about ten and had his little brother with him, and I was probably 15 at the time. We didn't talk for awhile because my friends and I were wandering around but eventually one of my friends started pulling out my DS holder thing and started counting all the Pokemon games I owned (lol). After that the kid started talking to me and we switched games (my fire red for his leaf green). I still haven't saved over his file because I want to give it back to him someday and let him play it again, just in case I ever see him again.

Some annoying little kid sitting near me on the bus kept asking for my Emerald over and over. Then he grabbed for it and I dropped my GBA. My save file was ruined.

At a new school, I try to make friends... but I'm shy. My mom introduces me to another kid, and says that Pokemon is one of the things I like. The other kid becomes fascinated and asks if I EV/IV or do competitive, etc. I end up shrinking away...

Hah, I have a good one.

One day our Arts teacher was absent, so a substitute was called in. Since we were working on our project anyway, and our Arts teacher had already fully instructed us on how to do it, the sub didn't really have to do anything but watch over us and keep the class from rioting. He had a lot of free time, so he ended up chatting with a few of us as we worked. None of us minded, of course; we liked his company, and he was a really nice guy.

Around halfway through the hour, I heard the word "pokémon" uttered. Used to pokémon only being referenced when my classmates are making fun of it, I ignored it. After hearing a few more suspicious words like "Arceus", "Diamond and Pearl" and "BW", my curiosity finally overcame me and I tried to see who was saying all these terms. I realized that the sub teacher, and surprisingly, two of my classmates were talking about Pokémon. Not making fun of it or insulting it, but discussing it in earnest. Absolutely amazed, I made my way to them and joined their conversation, proceeding to completely ignore my project for the rest of the hour. Turns out, he played most of the games, including BW, and is waiting for whatever might come next (this was 3 months ago, I think). He's still interested in the anime, though he doesn't watch every episode anymore due to time constraints, and instead just reads the articles on Bulbapedia. As for my classmates; they both play the games but kind of hate the anime, and one hates Gen 5 too. That's okay; at least they don't think it's stupid and immature. It's good enough for me.

Strangely, none of us have talked about pokémon since. We're all closet fans, it seems. But it's nice to know I'm not alone.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom