• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Live-action Pokemon series in development at Netflix!

El Squibbonator

Reaction score
Oh jeez, I was talking about this with a friend earlier today. I also remember seeing a rumor about this very thing over a year ago, I guess now it might really be happening.

There's barely any info to go off of right now, but I second Juliko, I just can't see this turning out well in the least. Detective Pikachu was alright, but the writer/producer here Henderson seems to have mainly written only gritty drama stuff in the past... which seems like an odd choice for a Pokemon series to me?

I guess I just hope it isn't an adaptation of the anime like some have suggested. Netflix doesn't have a great track record with stuff like that (their Death Note movie from back in 2017 and their Winx Club adaptation both come to mind). :bulbaFacepalm:

I guess I just hope it isn't an adaptation of the anime like some have suggested. Netflix doesn't have a great track record with stuff like that (their Death Note movie from back in 2017 and their Winx Club adaptation both come to mind). :bulbaFacepalm:
With the anime's 25th anniversary rapidly approaching now would be a good time for a nostalgia cash-in reboot, but since the original is still running I can imagine they might be reluctant to allow an alternate version of the same show by a different company to be made and potentially compete.

In theory, this show doesn't sound like a bad idea. It might be aimed at an older audiences than the anime, so I doubt there would be much audience crossover to worry about. The only issue I can see arising is the budget. Detective Pikachu cost $150 million, and this show will almost certainly have a budget per episode of far less, which puts constraints on what Pokémon can be shown.

Depends on what you mean by that. Would we finally get to actually see Skitty in the act of mating with Wailord?
I was more thinking more along the lines that they'd probably age up Ash and Misty or something like that in order to crudely sexualize them just like how the CW is doing with The Powerpuff Girls and Riverdale

But your idea's plausible too

I was more thinking more along the lines that they'd probably age up Ash and Misty or something like that in order to crudely sexualize them just like how the CW is doing with The Powerpuff Girls and Riverdale

But your idea's plausible too
But would the Pokémon Company and/or Nintendo allow that? Both are very protective of their IPs, so I could easily see them putting the kibosh on this idea if the rumored series would be too "adult" in its content. If nothing else, I could easily see both companies making direct statements that this series is not affiliated with them in any way. And if the Pokémon Company and/or Nintendo are involved with this, I can easily see it being nothing more than the equivalent to a PG to maybe a very light PG-13 rating.

I mean, how will they handle this?

Like, how good are the budgets for NF shows anyway? How many Pokemon can they even afford to have on screen at the same time? Will they use practical effects here and there? Because I'm not sure if they can afford a may-as-well-be-animated CGI fest...

Though one thing that could help is making the Pokemon less detailed this time. Real animals are smoother than in Detective Pikachu. Also, only let Pokemon appear if they have a role. DP had a bunch of Pokemon...but most of them had small, functionary roles, or didn't actually DO anything...

Netflix's production values tend to be pretty high, especially compared to network television. So I wouldn't put it past them to find a way to have a lot of detailed Pokémon on screen.

I don't know if it's the fact that I'm not a fan of any of Netflix's original stuff or that I'm not really much into Detective Pikachu, but I can't help in being skeptical about it. Detective Pikachu had some good CGI and Pokemon portrayal here and there, but its kid-friendly plot and jokes killed the movie for me. I wouldn't mind them keeping the aesthetics for this series as long as the adventure, battle and badge seeking is kept.

I but its kid-friendly plot and jokes killed the movie for me.
Yeah, that's one it's biggest problems for a lot of people: it was a little too cute for adults...but a little mature for kids... :confused_emoji:

I wouldn't mind them keeping the aesthetics for this series as long as the adventure, battle and badge seeking is kept.
I agree on the adventure and battle parts...but I'm not sure how much time we'll have for a badge quest. :unsure:

I certainly don't want to see Gen 1's story rehashed for at the hundredth time, thank you. :sick:

Last edited:
This honestly doesn't bode well imo. Live action series that are based on anime or cartoons in general always miss the mark. I get why Netflix is funding this project since the Defective Pikachu film was a success but I don't think they'll replicate that success with a series.

Also it's ironic because I remember a bunch of anime fans being pissed off that the English dub became a Netflix exclusive series. Seems like we can never win.

I'm a little bit nervous about this. I love Detective Pikachu, and was hoping for another feature film of the same high quality. A series could end up being as good as Detective Pikachu if done well, but there's also the risk that it could end up feeling like a cheap knock-off if done badly.

I wonder what the plot will be? I think Detective Pikachu only worked as well as it did because it deviated from the usual Pokemon formula so courageously. I'm not sure if an adaptation of, say, Red's journey through Kanto would work. They need to do something fresh and different.

Chalk me up as one of those who... came to terms with Detective Pikachu's graphics, rather than liked them. We've seen that there's amazing scope for some excellent animation in recent years (Gotcha!, Twilight Wings, that recent short with the Nidoran) so I'd personally much prefer the investment to be made there.

Oh gods no. It's happening. Even child me hated the idea of live action pokemon. Like even with detective pikachu designs were hit or miss. Pikachu and Snubble? Alright. Charizard? Mewtwo? GOD AWFUL. Jigglypuff and Mr. Mime? Sleep paralysis demons.

Though, like all netflix only stuff... I shall never see it. Wooooo...

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom