• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

COMPLETE: Live from the Fireside, Season 12 (Week 321c: The Legend of Maide, part 3)

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
@Chimchar98; @The Jingster; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster;

Week 295: The Legend of Prince Scott)

(real tale: Sila Tsarevich and Ivashka with the White Smock)

(What the Firelights play)

The crowd roars as Brock arrives onstage to kick off a twelfth season of stories. "There was once a king of a certain land who had three sons—the names of the elder two are not important, but the third and youngest son was named Prince Scott." he begins when the applause quiets. "One day, the two elder brothers requested their father’s permission to see the world. The youngest brother, Prince Scott, also begged the king’s permission to travel with his brothers. But the king told him..."

“My dear son, you are still young, and not used to the difficulties of traveling; stay here, and think no more of this flight of fancy.”he announces as the king, to some giggles at Brock's familiar "king" voice.

Brock, meanwhile, assures the crowd as himself "But Prince Scott had a great longing to see exotic and foreign lands, and begged his father so much that finally, the king consented, and gave him a ship of his own. As soon as the three brothers embarked, each on board his ship, they all gave orders to set sail."

The Firelights play their own rendition of the title theme from "The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker" to represent the ships sailing, using a mix of instruments, voices, and kitchen implements.

When the song ends, Brock continues "On the third day of the voyage, they saw a coffin with iron bands floating on the waves. The two eldest brothers sailed past without giving a thought to it, but as soon as Prince Scott saw the coffin, he ordered the sailors to pick it up, lay it on board his ship, and carry it to land. The next day a violent storm arose, by which Scott’s ship was driven off course, and cast upon a steep shore in an unknown land. Scott ordered his sailors to take the coffin and carry it on shore, where he gave it a proper burial."

The auditorium is silent for a moment, but Brock has other ideas for the supposedly dead man. "Prince Scott ordered the captain to stay with the ship, and wait for him for three years. If he did not return after three years, he was free return home. With that, Scott bid farewell to his captain and his crew, and ventured into this strange land. He wandered for a long while without seeing anyone, when suddenly, he heard a man running after him, dressed all in white. Prince Scott turned around and saw the man following him; and immediately drew his sword, just in case the man meant him harm.

Gasps and excited whispers fill the room as Brock draws a prop sword of his own. "But no sooner did the man come up to him than he fell on his knees and thanked Scott for saving him." he assures the crowd as he sheathes his own blade. "Confused, Scott asked the man what he had done to deserve his thanks. The stranger answered..."

“Ah, Prince Scott, how can I thank you enough? There I lay in the coffin, which you picked up at sea and buried; and had it not been for you I might have been floating for a hundred years or more.” he explains in a mimic of Prof. Oak for the man.

“But how did you get into the coffin?” he asks in a mimic of Ash for Scott.

“Listen, and I will tell you everything,” he explains as the man. “My name is Arion--I was a great magician; my mother was told that I did great mischief to mankind by my arts, and ordered me put in that coffin and set adrift on the open sea. For more than a hundred years I have been floating, and no one ever picked me up; but to you I owe my rescue, and I will serve you, and render you all the help I can give. Let me ask you whether or not you have not a wish to marry. I know the beautiful Princess Teresa, who is worthy of being your wife.”

As himself, he continues "Scott replied that if this princess was indeed as beautiful as claimed, he was willing to marry her; and Arion told him she was the most beautiful woman in the world. When Scott heard this, he begged Arion to go with him to her kingdom. So they traveled on until they reached that land, which lay to the east."

He pauses for a moment, then continues "Now, Princess Teresa’s kingdom was surrounded by a fence; and on every stake was a person's skull, except one. When Scott saw this, he was terrified, and asked Arion what it meant; and Arion told him that they were the heads of heroes who had been suitors to Princess Teresa. Scott shuddered on hearing this, and wanted to return home; but Arion told him to take heart, so Scott mustered the courage to go inside."

"Listen, Prince Scott--I will be your servant, and when you enter the royal halls, salute the king humbly. Then he will ask you where you came from, and whose son you are. Tell him everything and hide nothing; but say that you have come to ask for his daughter’s hand; he will give her to you with great joy.”he instructs as Arion.

He narrates as himself "So Prince Scott went into the palace, and, as soon as the king saw him, he asked him...

“Young man, from what country do you come, whose son are you, what is your name, and what is your business?” he asks as the king.

“I am from the kingdom of my father, who rules the western realms,” he replies as Scott. “My name is Prince Scott, and I have come to ask for your daughter, the beautiful Princess Teresa.”

As himself, Brock continues "The king of the east was overjoyed that the son of such a renowned king would be his son-in-law, and immediately ordered his daughter to prepare for the wedding. When the day for the wedding came, the king commanded all his advisors and officials to assemble in the palace; and they all went in procession to the shrine, and Prince Scott was married to the fair Princess Teresa in a grand ceremony. Then they returned to the palace, where they celebrated all night."

The audience claps along as the Firelights play a festive song, but suddenly the music turns somber. "When the time came to go to bed, Arion pulled Scott aside and whispered to him..." Brock narrates.

“Listen, Prince Scott, when you go bed, do not speak a word to your bride or you will return home alive, and your skull will be stuck on the last stake." he whispers as Arion. "She will in every way try to make you embrace her, but heed what I say. She is possessed by an evil spirit, who comes to her every night in the shape of a man, but its true form is a six-headed Hydreigon. If she lays her hand upon your chest, keep it away with any means you have until her strength is gone, being careful not to harm her. I will keep watch at the door of your room.”

As himself, Brock continues "When Prince Scott heard this, he went with his wife to bed, and Princess Teresa tried in every way to get him to kiss her, but Scott lay very still and was silent. Then Teresa laid her hand upon his chest and pressed him so hard that it was a miracle he could breathe."

Gasps go up as the lights darken. "But Prince Scott grabbed the stick which Arion had left for him, and did everything he could to keep her away short of harming her." Brock intones from the darkening stage.

Some in the audience jump as "lightning" flashes across the stage, and "rain" starts falling in the auditorium. "Suddenly a great storm blew up, and a six-headed Hydreigon came flying into the room." Brock narrates, ever aware of a massive Hydreigon puppet headed for him.

He draws his prop blade. "Minutes before it could attempt to devour Prince Scott, Arion grabbed a sword and attacked the Hyderigon, and they fought for hours."

With that, he rushes to engage the puppet, to the audience's enthusiastic cheers.

The "storm" subsides some moments later, and the crowd roars with cheers and applause when they see Brock standing victorious over the "dead" puppet. "After a very long and drawn out battle, Arion delivered the final blow, freeing Princess Teresa from the demon's hold." he narrates as he sheathes his blade again. "The next morning, the king wanted to know whether his dear son still lived, and when he heard that Scott was alive and well and his daughter freed from the demon's possession, he rejoiced, since he was the first who had been saved from the demon. He summoned Scott, and the whole day was only the first of many spent celebrating."

He concludes over the Firelights' victory song "And so it was that Prince Scott ruled over two realms with his companion Arion and his beloved Princess Teresa in great love and happiness."

The auditorium explodes with cheers and applause as Brock, the puppeteers, and the Firelights all bow together...

• Staff

Week 296: The Tale of Ursaring-skin

(real tale: Bearskin)

"There was once a young fellow--we'll call him Dolan--who enlisted as a soldier, and proved himself brave and loyal, even as arrows and spells rained around him." Brock begins as he arrives onstage, his bow and a quiver of thirty prop arrows on his back. "So long as there was a reason to fight, all was well. But when all the wars ended, he was honorably discharged. His parents had long since died, so he went to his brothers and begged them to take him in, and keep him until he was once again called to fight. The brothers, however, refused him, and told him to go make a living for himself."

Angry murmurs fill the auditorium at this. "Dolan had nothing left but his bow." Brock explains, referring to his own gear. "He took that and a quiver of thirty arrows on his shoulder, and went forth into the world. He came to a wide plain, on which nothing was to be seen but a circle of trees. He sat down beneath them with a sigh, and began to think over his fate. 'I have no money,' he thought, 'I know no other trade but fighting, and now that there is nothing left to fight, they don't want me any more.'"

He then looks offstage, as if something is there. "Just then, he heard a rustling, and when he looked around, a strange man--Darkrai in human form-- stood before him."

ina deep gravely voice for Darkrai, he tells an imagined person "I know already what you are in need of--gold and possessions you will have, as much as you can carry. But first I must know if you are fearless, that I may not bestow my money in vain."

"A soldier and fear - how can those two things go together? You can put me to the test." he challenges in a mimic of Ash for Dolan.

"Very well, then...look behind you." he smirks as Darkrai.

He turns to look behind him before narrating as himself "Dalon turned around, and saw a large Ursaring come growling towards him."

Just then, he hears a click from offstage signaling that an Ursaring target is in place and he is clear to shoot. "Oho! I will tickle your nose for you, so that you will soon lose your talent for growling!"he challenges the target as Dolan.

As himself, he narrates "With that, he aimed at the Ursaring and shot it through the muzzle, killing it."

The audience goes silent as Brock readies his own shot and fires, only applauding when they see the arrow land where the Ursaring's heart would be, if it were real. "I see quite well that you are not lacking in courage, but there is still another condition which you will have to fulfill."he cautions as Darkrai as he sets the bow and quiver of arrows aside.

"If it does not endanger my standing with the Great Lord Arceus, I'll do whatever you ask. If it does, I want nothing to do with it." he replies as Dolan.

"You'll have to decide that for yourself. For the next seven years, you will not wash yourself, or groom yourself in any way. I will give you a coat and a cloak, which during this time you must wear. If you die during these seven years, you are mine; but if you are still alive, you are free, and rich to boot, and you and your descendants will not want for anything." he offers as Darkrai.

As himself, he continues "Dalon thought long and hard about Darkrai's offer, but as he so often had gone to meet death, he decided to risk it now, and agreed to the terms. Darkrai took off his green coat, gave it to Dalon, and said...

"If you have this coat on your back and put your hand into the pocket, you will always find it full of money." he explains as Darkrai before draping a prop Ursaring fur cape on him. "This will be your cloak, and your bed also, for there you will sleep, and in no other bed will you lie for seven years, and because of this, you will be called Ursaring-skin."

He intones as himself "With that, Darkrai disappeared."

Shudders of anticipation fill the room as Brock continues "Dalon put the coat on, felt around in the pocket, and found that Darkrai had spoken the truth. Then he put on the Ursaring skin and went forth into the world. During the first year his appearance was passable, but during the second he began to look horrible. His hair covered nearly covered his face, his fingers had claws, and his face was so covered with dirt that one could plant a garden and flowers would grow on it."

The audience explodes with laughter as they picture the ridiculous image in their minds. "Anyone that saw him ran away, but as he gave the poor money to buy food and clothes, and paid well for everything, he still always found shelter." Brock assures the crowd. "In the fourth year, he came an inn where the landlord would not receive him, and would not even let him have a place in the stable, because he was afraid the Ponyta would be scared. But as Ursaring-skin put his hand into his pocket and pulled out a handful of coins, the host gave him a room in a shed. Ursaring-skin was, however, obliged to promise not to let himself be seen, lest the inn get a bad reputation."

More giggles go up at this. "As Ursaring-skin was sitting alone in the evening, and wishing with all his heart that the seven years were over, he heard a loud cry in a neighboring room. He had a compassionate heart, so he opened the door, and saw an old man weeping bitterly, and wringing his hands. Ursaring-skin came closer, but the man tried to run from him." Brock explains. "When the man heard that Ursaring-skin's voice was human he let Ursaring-skin approach, and by kind words Ursaring-skin learned the cause of the man's grief. His property had dwindled away, he and his daughters would starve, and he was so poor that he could not pay the innkeeper, and feared he would be thrown in jail. So Ursaring-skin sent for the innkeeper, paid him, and put a purse full of gold into the old man's pocket."

"Aw"s go up as Brock narrates "When the old man saw himself set free from all his troubles he did not know how to thank Ursaring-skin enough."

"Come with me--my daughters are all miracles of beauty, choose one of them for yourself as a bride. When she hears what you have done for me, she will not refuse you. You do look a little strange, but she will soon see that you have what is truly beautiful--a beautiful heart." he smiles as the old man.

He continues as himself. "This pleased Ursaring-skin, and he went. When the eldest saw him she was so terrified she screamed and ran away. The middle daughter stood still and looked at him from head to toe, but then she said..."

"How can I accept a husband who no longer has a human form? The Ursaring that once was here and passed itself off for a man pleased me far better, for at any rate it wore fine clothes. If it were nothing but ugliness, I might get used to that." he explains in a mimic of Misty for the middle daughter.

As himself, he narrates "The youngest, whose name was Marla, said...

"Father, that must be a good man to have helped you out, so if you have promised him a bride for doing it, your promise must be kept." he tells the crowd in a mimic of Serena for Marla.

As himself, he goes on "It was a pity that Ursaring-skin's face was covered with dirt and hair, for they might have seen how delighted he was when he heard these words. He took two rings from his finger, and gave her the sapphire one, the ruby one he kept for himself. He wrote his name, however, on her ring, and she wrote hers on his, and told her to take care of hers. He told the family..."

"I must still wander for three years, and if I do not return then, assume that I am dead. But pray to Arceus to preserve my life." he instructs an imagined person as Dolan.

He sighs as himself "Marla dressed herself all in black, and when she thought of her future bridegroom, tears came to her eyes. Nothing but contempt and mockery came from her sisters, which I will not repeat here. Marla bore it all in silence, and did not let them bother her."

His voice gains a happier note. "Ursaring-skin, meanwhile, traveled around the world, did good deeds as often as he could, and gave generously to the poor. Finally, as the last day of the seven years dawned, he went once again to the plain, and sat down beneath the circle of trees. It was not long before the wind whistled, and Darkrai stood before him. He threw Ursaring-skin his old coat, and asked for his own back.

"We have not gotten that far yet...you must first make me clean." he smiles as Dolan as he sets aside the Ursaring fur cape.

"Whether Darkrai liked it or not, he was forced to get water and wash Ursaring-skin, comb his hair, and cut his nails. After this, he looked like a brave soldier, and was much handsomer than he had ever been before." he smiles as himself, to giggles as the crowd. When Darkrai had left, Ursaring-skin was quite lighthearted. He went into town, bought a magnificent velvet coat, paid for a carriage drawn by four Ponytas, and drove to his bride's house. No one recognized him, the father believed him to be a distinguished general, and led him into the room where his daughters were sitting. He was forced to place himself between the two eldest, who gave him wine and the best pieces of meat, and thought that in all the world they had never seen a handsomer man. Marla, however, sat opposite to him in her black dress, and never raised her eyes, nor said a word."

The audience waits to see what will happen as Brock continues "When he asked the father if he would give him one of his daughters as his bride, the two eldest jumped up and ran into their rooms to put on splendid dresses, for each of them fancied she was the chosen one. The stranger, as soon as he was alone with his bride, brought out his ring, and threw it in a glass of wine which he gave to her. She took the wine, but when she had drunk it, and found the ruby ring at the bottom, her heart began to race. She got the sapphire ring, which she wore on a ribbon round her neck, and saw that the two rings were the same ones Ursaring-skin had given her some years before."

"I am your betrothed bridegroom, who you saw as Ursaring-skin, but through Arceus' grace I have again received my human form." he explains as Dolan

As himself, he continues "He went up to her, embraced her, and gave her a kiss."

"Aw"s fill the air at this. "Meanwhile the two sisters returned, and when they saw that the handsome man was Marla's beloved, and heard that he was Ursaring-skin, they ran out full of anger and rage, never to be seen again."

He grins as he reveals the elder sisters' fates. "Needless to say, Darkrai was happy to get two souls out of the bargain!"

Laughter and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

• Staff

Week 297: Mizurou and the Rich Man

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 204, story 2)

"There was once a rich man that got the idea to combine three islands into one." Brock begins. "Since the islands in question were fairly close together, the task seemed simple--fill in the gaps between the islands. But it was a very ambitious task, and it was anyone's guess as to how long it would take."

Intrigued murmurs fill the air as Brock goes on "Complicating matters further was the fact that every night, their work area would be ransacked, and all the work they had done was destroyed, Some villagers presumed a kappa was behind the chaos, and that struck fear into the people's hearts--no one wanted to go to work the next day. Even the Pokemon League stepped in and told the rich man to give up, but the rich man was unmoved by their pleas."

He waits for the murmurs to quiet before continuing "One day, he happened to catch a kappa--but not just any kappa--he caught the king of the kappa, whose name was Mizurou. The rich man told Mizurou he wanted to talk to him, and Mizurou agreed if he was set free."

The lights dim a little to mimic nighttime. "In the rich man's mansion, the rich man told Mizurou how much better life would be for the islanders if the three islands were one." Brock explains. "But Mizurou explained the only reason he and the other kappas had caused trouble for him was because the kappas needed the islands separated, but if he really wanted the islands combined, the kappa would do the building themselves. Confident the kappas would fail, the rich man agreed."

As the lights brighten to mimic daytime, Brock goes on "The townsfolk thought it stupid to promise anything to a kappa, but the rich man kept his word. That night, Mizurou left instructions on how he wanted the islands joined, and the townsfolk followed these to the letter. They worked for a year, but as far as anyone knew, there was no progress. Though morale was low, the people kept working. When the year was up, a large wooden container appeared on the beach, with instructions to fill it with rocks and dirt. When they complied, the townsfolk watched in awe as the rocks and the dirt filled in the gaps without harming or obstructing the kappas."

He then reveals how the kappas built the connections. "It turned out the kappas had built the support underwater, and the rocks and the dirt were the layer the people would walk on."

"Oh"s go up at this. "The rich man kept his word to the kappas, and told the people not to go where the kappas lived, and in return, the kappas did not bother the people." Brock continues. "One day, a kappa messenger came, saying that Mizurou was very sick, and wanted to see the rich man for what was possibly the last time. He thanked the rich man for teaching him that humans and kappas could live together in peace, and asked that when he did succumb, to be buried on a hill overlooking the islands."

He concludes with a sigh "Mizurou joined Arceus in heaven a few days later, and as per his last request, the rich man buried him on the hill that overlooked the three islands, now one thanks to the unlikely partnership of human and kappa."

Then a thought occurs to him. "In fact, you can still see the grave on the hill outside of Pallet Town today, overlooking Knot Island."

The crowd roars as Brock takes a bow...

• Staff

Week 298: The Grateful Talonflame

(real tale: The Enchanted Grouse)

"There was once an old couple who lived with their married son--we'll call him Hunter--and his wife." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He was a dutiful son but his wife was a scold. She was always finding something wrong with anyone and everyone, no matter how trivial the perceived fault was."

Giggles go up as Brock retrieves his bow and a quiver full of prop arrows. "One morning, when she saw her husband taking out his bow and arrows she said..."

“Where are you going now?” he sighs in character as Misty for the wife.

“I’m going hunting." he replies in a mimic of Ash for Hunter.

“Isn’t that just like you! You’re going off to have a good time hunting and you don’t give a thought to me who has to stay home alone!” he protests as the wife, to uproarious laughter.

“If I didn’t go hunting, we’d have nothing to cook for dinner and then you would have reason to scold.” he assures an imagined person as Hunter.

“Of course, as usual blame me!" Brock wails in feigned sadness as the wife. "Whatever happens, it’s my fault!”

The audience howls with laughter at Brock's melodramatic pose. "Hunter hurried off, hoping that by the time he returned his wife would be in a calmer mood." he explains as himself. "But he had little success in hunting that day. No matter how many arrows he shot, he somehow missed his mark."

With that, he readies a shot, then fires, a tink from offstage signalling that he hit his mark, unlike Hunter in his story.

After firing a few more shots, Brock continues "When he had only one arrow left, he saw a Talonflame standing in some brush, and close enough that there was little likelihood of missing it." He makes a grand gesture to his hidden target, where his four shots are neatly clustered around the bullseye.

He readies another shot as he narrates "He took aim, but before he could fire, the Talonflame said..."

“Don’t shoot me! Take me home alive.” he pleads in a mimic of Shauna for the Talonflame.

Brock stands down, then tells an imagined being as Hunter “I’ve got to shoot something, or else we won't have anything for dinner.”

He readies a fifth shot again. "Again he aimed his arrow and again the Talonflame said..."

“Don’t shoot me, please! Take me home alive.” he pleads as the Talonflame again.

“I’d like to spare you, but what would my wife say if I came home empty-handed?” he asks as Hunter.

He readies the shot again before pleading as the Talonflame “Don’t shoot me, please! Take me home alive.”

At this, he stands down. “I don’t care what she says! I can’t shoot something that begs for its life!" he muses as Hunter before addressing an imagined being. "Very well, Mr. Talonflame, I’ll do as you request. But don’t blame me if my wife wrings your neck.”

Chuckles fill the air as Brock carefully picks up the imagined Talonflame. "He took the Talonflame in his arms and started homewards." he narrates.

“Feed me for a year, and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame

After setting aside the bow and quiver of arrows, Brock continues "When they reached home and Hunter’s wife saw the Talonflame, she cried..."

“Is that all you’ve got after hunting all morning! That won’t be enough for four!” he complains as the wife.

“This Talonflame isn’t to be killed. I’m going to keep it for a year and feed it.” he explains as Hunter.

“It won’t take much to feed a Talonflame.” he adds in a mimic of Flint for the father.

“What! Feed a useless bird when there isn’t enough to feed your own flesh and blood!” he gripes as the wife, to uproarious laughter.

As himself, Brock assures the audience "But Hunter stood firm, and despite her threats his wife did not dare lay a finger on the Talonflame. At the end of a year the Talonflame grew a gold feather in its tail, which it dropped in the entryway. Then it disappeared.

“Ha! A gold feather! That’s your reward for feeding that thankless Pokemon a whole year?" he smirks as the wife.

He intones as himself "But the next day the Talonflame returned."

“Feed me for another year, and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame

The lights come up on a chair at center stage, where Brock's guitar is waiting. "His wife raised a big to-do over this, but Hunter stood firm, and for another year he fed and petted the Talonflame." Brock continues as he settles in the chair, guitar in hand. "At the end of the second year the Talonflame grew a silver feather in its tail, which it dropped in the entryway."

“One silver feather! So that’s all you get for feeding that thankless Pokemon a whole year?" he smirks as the wife again.

He grins before singing But the Talonflame came back the very next day... making the audience explode into laughter at the reference to "The Meowth Came Back"

“Feed me for another year, and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame as the laughter quiets.

As himself, he continues "At the end of the third year, the Talonflame grew a crystal feather in its tail, and when it dropped that in the entryway, the wife didn't have much to say, for a crystal feather was good pay for a meal fit for royalty. For a day the Talonflame disappeared. When it returned, it said to Hunter...

“Get on my back and I’ll reward you.” he instructs as the Talonflame

He starts a "flying" melody before continuing "Hunter did as he was told, and the Talonflame, rising high in the air, flew far away. It flew until it reached the ocean. Over the ocean it flew until Hunter could see nothing but water as far as the eye could see.

“I hope I can hold on!” he stammers as Hunter.

As himself, he continues "As he spoke, the Talonflame dropped him and he fell down, down, down...."

The children nervously giggle as Brock plays a glissando down one string to mimic Hunter falling. "However, before he touched the water, the Talonflame swooped under him and caught him."

“Now, you know how I felt when you threatened to shoot me with your bow.” he explains as the Talonflame.

“You have taught me a lesson." he stammers as Hunter

He narrates over his "flying" song "After that, the Talonflame flew onwards to no place in particular. Finally it said..."

“Look straight ahead, and tell me what you see.” he instructs as the Talonflame.

“Far, far ahead I see what looks like a gold column.” he replies as Hunter.

“Good! That is the home of my oldest sister Moltres." he explains as the Talonflame. "She will be overjoyed to see us and when she hears how you have spared my life, she will want to give you a gift. Tell her that the only thing you want is the locked box on the dresser--the key to which is lost. If she won’t give you that, accept nothing.”

As himself, he narrates over a regal melody. "Moltres gave them a hero's welcome. When she had heard their story, she offered Hunter anything he wanted from among her treasures."

“Then give me the locked box on the dresser.” he requests as Hunter.

“My locked box! Who told you about that? I’m sorry, but I cannot give you that! Take anything else but that!” he pleads in an older female voice for Moltres.

“No--that or nothing!” he retorts as Hunter.

Brock starts the "flying" melody as he continues "When Moltres could not be convinced to give away her locked box, the Talonflame had Hunter mount on his back, and off they flew. After a while, the Talonflame asked Hunter what he could see."

"Far ahead I see something that is like a silver cloud.” he replies as Hunter.

“That is the silver castle of my middle sister Zapdos.”

He narrates over the regal melody "At the silver castle, Zapdos received them with joy and when she heard who Hunter was, she wanted to show him her gratitude by giving him a gift, but she too refused him her locked box. When the Talonflame saw that Zapdos was unwilling to part from her locked box, he bade Hunter mount, and off they flew again. After a while, the Talonflame asked Hunter what he could see."

“I seem to see a crystal haze, like the sun behind a cloud on a winter's day.” he replies as Hunter.

“That is the crystal castle of my youngest sister, Articuno.” he explains as the Talonflame.

He starts a calm melody as he continues "They arrived, and Articuno embraced the Talonflame, for she loved him dearly, and had not seen him for a long time."

“Welcome, my brother! And welcome also to you, Hunter!” he smiles in a mimic of May for Articuno.

"Aw"s go up as Brock continues as himself "She offered Hunter a gift, and when he asked for her locked box without a key she gave it to him without protest."

“It is my most precious possession, but you may have it, you spared my brother’s life when you might have taken it.” he smiles as Articuno.

After starting the "flying" song again, Brock continues as himself "After they had rested, they bade Articuno farewell, and Hunter with his precious box held tightly in one hand mounted the Talonflame’s back and off they flew towards home."

“Be careful with the box, and don’t let it out of your hands until we reach someplace where you’d like to live forever.” he instructs as the Talonflame.

As himself, he narrates "They passed high mountains, rolling hills, sparkling lakes, and green valleys. The Talonflame asked Hunter if he wanted to stop in this place or that place, but Hunter always said no."

He slows down into a "home" melody. "At last they reached home and the Talonflame told Hunter that now they had to part."

He then reveals the truth about the Talonflame “By sparing my life three times, and then feeding me for three years you have broken the spell on me and I will be able to assume my true human form. Farewell, Hunter, and when you find the place where you think you would like always to live, drop the box and you will find you have a treasure that will more than reward you for your kindness to me.”

As himself, Brock continues "With that, the Talonflame disappeared and Hunter said to himself 'Where do I want to live always but right here, with my father and mother and my wife, even if she does scold me sometimes?' So after they all had dinner together, he dropped the box on the floor, making a beautiful castle with servants and riches and everything that Hunter had always wanted and never had."

He concludes "Hunter, his parents, and his wife lived there happily. Eventually, his wife got over her bad habit of scolding--for when you’re happy, what is there to complain about?"

The audience laughs in agreement and applauds as Brock sets the guitar aside to get up and take a bow....

• Staff

Week 299: Kaitou and the Red Demon

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 205, story 3)

"In a certain land lived a girl named Nami, who thought herself very brave." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "One day, as she was passing through the mountains, some demons spotted her passing by, and got the idea to try and catch her. But Nami was no Princess Peach--she knew all these demons' tricks and traps, and easily outran them on the path home."

Intrigued murmurs fill the air as Brock explains "Back home, Nami told her mom and dad everything--the town had been bothered by the demons for a long time, and no one knew what to do to get rid of them."

He then intones "One night, the eldest of the three demons came to the house demanding Nami as his bride. Her father refused, saying she was not yet the age to be married. The eldest demon agreed to wait three years, and then claim Nami as his bride."

"So who saved her?" a girl asks

"I'm getting to him." Brock assures the girl before continuing "Now, Nami's best friend was a boy named Kaitou, who secretly loved Nami. When he heard of Nami's near capture, he vowed to find a way to defeat the demons once and for all. So the next morning, he made his way to the mountain lair where the three demons lived. As he wondered what the demon's weak point was, he overheard the two younger demons talking about how they hated Pecha Berries more than anything."

Intrigued murmurs fill the room. "Inspired, Kaitou hurried back to town and told the townsfolk what he had learned." Brock explains. "Many of the townsfolk thought the idea of demons hating Pecha Berries was stupid at first, but the town elder told them that there was some truth to the concept--Pecha Berries had long been portrayed in art and literature as a holy fruit, and were revered for their power to heal poison. But just as they healed poison in humans and Pokemon, they could also poison a demon."

"Oh"s go up before Brock adds "It didn't help that Pecha Berries were rare in that land--but a neighboring land to the west had plenty, and so Kaitou decided to procure some Pecha Berries there. He returned some weeks later, and taught the townsfolk how to care for them."

"Mm"s waft through the room as the audience pictures what the Pecha trees may have smelled like. "Nami's house gained a ring of Pecha saplings around it--but as winter turned to spring, no flowers appeared." Brock intones. "The encounter with the demons haunted Nami, and she feared they would come at any moment."

He smiles to assure the antsy audience that all hope isn't lost. "The three years passed and the demons arrived to take Nami. They did not, however, expect to be met by a barrage of Pecha Berries!"

Cheers go up as Brock continues "In all the confusion, the eldest demon ended up swallowing a Pecha Berry, killing him right there. Horrified their big brother was dead, the two little demons fled in panic."

As the cheers die down, Brock goes on "The townsfolk celebrated their victory, but the celebration was made even sweeter when Kaitou confessed his feelings to Nami. They were married within the year, and there were lots of Pecha Berries to go around at the wedding!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

• Staff

Week 300: The Brave Young Lady

(real tale: The Girl in the Chest)

"Just a word of warning before we begin our 300th story..." Brock cautions, but his warning is interrupted by cheers and applause.

He waits for the celebration to quiet, then gives his warning. "There will be some parts of this tale that may be a little on the scary side, so if you need to leave the room for any reason, inform an usher and they will direct you to the closest EXIT sign."

Once no one has taken up his offer to leave, Brock begins his tale. "There was once a vampire--we'll call him Aleron--who took the form of a handsome young man and went to the house of an old woman who had three daughters, under the presumption he wanted to marry the eldest--whose name is not important."

"I live far from here--I own my own farm and am well-to-do and in marrying me your daughter would get a desirable husband." he explains in a slight vampiric brogue, making some of the children in the audience shudder.

As himself, he explains "Now, the old woman was so poor that she couldn't have given a penny as a dowry even if she wanted to. That was the only reason why all three of her daughters hadn't been married to young men of their own village. So when the stranger said he would require no dowry, the old woman whispered to her oldest daughter..."

"He seems to be all right. Perhaps you had better take him." he tells an imagined person in a mimic of a grandmother.

He intones as himself "The poor girl accepted her mother's advice and that afternoon started off with Aleron, who said he would lead her home and marry her. They walked a great distance and as evening came they reached a spooky forest, which frightened the girl half to death."

"This way, my dear--we take this underground passage and soon we'll be home." he sneers in character as Aleron.

Some concerned parents rush their frightened children from the room as Brock reveals the daughter's fate. "The passage led to a sort of cave which really was Aleron's home. Once there, he revealed his true form to her, which frightened her so much she was literally scared to death."

Sniffles fill the room as some others in the audience mourn the eldest daughter. "Some time later he went back to the old woman and said..."

"Dear mother, my poor wife is sick and she asks that you send her your second daughter to nurse her. She asks for her sister night and day and I fear she will die unless she sees her." he explains as Aleron.

As himself, Brock continues "When the poor old mother heard this, she begged the middle daughter--whose name is also not important--to go with the young man and nurse her sick sister."

He sighs as he breaks more bad news. "Well, the same thing happened to the second sister--she too was literally scared to death."

"What of the youngest sister? What did she do?" Akane asks from backstage, where the Players are listening with bated breath.

"Then he returned again to the old mother and this time he pretended that both sisters were sick and were begging for the third sister to come and nurse them. So the poor old woman sent her youngest daughter--whose name was Elena--away with Aleron." Brock explains, acknowledging Akane with a nod. "Elena, when she saw what Aleron really was, did not show fear, but looked for a stake, made the sign of Arceus, and then tried to find some way of escape."

He next explains how Elena escaped. "There were doors in the cave which Aleron had claimed were doors to closets, and so had no business going inside. One night, while Aleron was out she opened these doors and found that they all led into long underground passages. 'This is my one chance to get back to the world of light!' Elena told herself, and after committing herself to Arceus, she fled down one of the passages."

Giggles of anticipation go up as Brock continues "You may be sure that when Aleron found her gone, he flew into a great rage. He went running up and down the various passages, and wasted so much time looking in the wrong passages that Elena was able to escape and reach the world of light safely."

The crowd roars with laughter as the Firelights play their own rendition of "Yakety Sax" to represent Aleron looking. When the song ends, Brock reveals where Elena emerged. "She came out in a forest with no sign of civilization in sight."

"What do I do now? If I stay here alone and unprotected some wild Pokemon or evil creature may get me." he gasps in a mimic of Serena.

As himself, he continues "So she asked Arceus to give her a chest that she could lock from the inside with a silver key so securely that no one could force it open. Arceus heard her prayer and gave her just such a chest, complete with a silver key. When it got dark and she was ready to go to bed, she climbed into the chest, locked it with a hair, and slept peacefully knowing that nothing could harm her. So she lived in the forest for some time, eating berries and fruits, and sleeping safely in the chest."

The Firelights begin a love theme to herald the appearance of Brock's hero. "Now it just so happened that the king's son--whose name was Lucas--one morning went hunting in this very forest and caught a glimpse of Elena as she was gathering berries." Brock narrates over the music. "He thought he had never seen such a beautiful lady, and immediately fell in love with her. But when he reached the clump of bushes where he had seen her, she was gone. He called his huntsmen together and told them to search everywhere. They hunted for hours and all they could find was a chest. They tried to open the chest to see what was in it but couldn't."

"Waste no more time over it. Carry it home to the palace as it is and have it placed in my chamber." he orders in a mimic of Ash for Prince Lucas.

As himself, he continues "The huntsmen did this and a few hours later, when Elena peeked out of her chest she found herself alone in Prince Lucas' chamber. His dinner was sitting on a table in preparation for his arrival. Elena ate the meal and was safely back in her chest before he arrived. When he did come Prince Lucas was amazed to see empty plates and asked the servants who had eaten his dinner. The servants were as much surprised as the Prince and swore that no one had entered the room. The same thing happened the next day, and the following day, Prince Lucas had one of his servants hide behind the curtains and watch to find out how the food disappeared. The story the servant had to tell was so thrilling that Prince Lucas could hardly wait for the next day when he himself hid behind the curtains and watched. The serving people put the food on the table and departed, and when all was quiet, the lid of the chest opened and Prince Lucas saw Elena step out. When she sat down at the table, Prince Lucas gently took her in his arms."

He assures the audience "Elena was understandably frightened at first, but Prince Lucas reassured her, telling her that he loved her dearly and only wanted to make her his bride. He led her to his father the king, who was so charmed by her beauty and pure heart that he gave his blessings for the marriage."

"Aw"s fill the air, but the somber music the Firelights play alert them that Elena is not out of the woods yet. "Everybody in court was delighted—everybody, that is, but the lord high chamberlain, who had had hopes of marrying his own daughter--whose name is not important--to Prince Lucas." Brock explains. "His daughter was an ugly and bad tempered girl, so it was little wonder Prince Lucas had never even looked at her. The lord high chamberlain was sure, however, that with a little more time he could arrange the match to his liking. So the appearance of this beautiful girl who came from Arceus knew where threw him into a fearful rage and he decided to do away with her at any cost."

He next explains how the lord high chamberlain pulled off his plot "Now he had in his employ a great burly giant of a man. He summoned him and told him that he must kidnap the girl at once and kill her. The giant, for lack of a better way to describe him, nodded and said he would. So when the palace was quiet that night, he snuck to the bedroom where Elena was sleeping, threw a great robe over her head to stifle her cries, and carried her off. She fainted in all the confusion, and the giant, thinking her dead, tossed her into a field of thorns on the outskirts of town."

Angry whispers go up as Brock goes on "As you can imagine, in the morning there was a great uproar in the palace when it was discovered that the Prince Lucas' beautiful bride-to-be had disappeared. Prince Lucas was utterly grief-stricken and refused to eat. The Kkng and all the ladies of the court tried their best to comfort him but he turned away from them declaring he would die if his bride were not returned to him. The devious lord high chamberlain dabbed his eyes and pretended to cry, he was so affected by the sight of Prince Lucas' grief."

"My dear boy, I wish I could find this maiden for you!" he sighs in a mimic of James for the lord high chamberlain. "It breaks my heart to see you sad and unhappy! But I'm sorry to tell you that I hear she was not human at all. You know how mysteriously she came, and now she's gone just as mysteriously. So put the thought of her out of your mind and I'm sure you'll soon find a human maiden who is worthy of your love. Come here, my daughter, and tell the Prince how sorry you are that he is in grief."

He interjects as himself "But the sight of the lord high chamberlain's ugly daughter only made Prince Lucas long all the more for the beautiful girl who was gone."

The audience and the Players roar with laughter as they picture the ugly girl and Prince Lucas' reaction. "Elena, meanwhile, had found refuge in the hut of an old woman who had heard her groan in the early dawn when she lay among the thorns and had felt sorry on her. In a day or two Elena had recovered from all she had been through." Brock continues as himself.

"Won't you let me live with you I'll cook and clean, and you won't have to regret the little I eat." he offers as Elena.

"Can you cook? Because if you can perhaps you know a dish that would tempt the appetite of our poor young prince. You know the poor boy has had a terrible disappointment in love and he refuses to eat. The heralds were out this morning proclaiming that the king would richly reward anyone who could prepare a dish that would tempt the prince's appetite." he explains as the old woman.

"I know a wonderful way to prepare vegetable soup! Let me cook a big pot of it for you to take to the palace!" he offers as Elena.

As himself, he continues "So Elena made the vegetable soup, leaving a lock of her own hair on the dish with the bowl. 'If he sees the hair,' she thought to herself, 'he'll know the soup is from me'."

He smiles at the enthralled audience. "Sure enough, that's exactly what happened. To please his father, Prince Lucas had agreed to look at every dish as it came. He had already looked at hundreds of them before the old woman arrived and turned them all away. Then the old woman came. As she passed before Prince Lucas, she lifted the cover of the pot, held it towards him, and curtsied. Prince Lucas was just about to turn away when he saw the tiny ringlet of hair near the bowl."

"Wait! That soup looks good!" he asks as Prince Lucas.

He continues as himself "To the king's delight, he took the pot out of the old woman's hands, examined it carefully, and when no one was looking slipped the ringlet into his pocket. Then he ate the soup--not a drop was left."

"Mm"s fill the room as the audience imagines what the soup may have tasted like. "The king gave the old woman some gold coins and asked her to prepare something else the next day." Brock continues. "So the next day Prince Lucas again ate what the old woman had brought, licking the plate clean. On the third day Prince Lucas decided to talk with the old woman. He learned that she lived in a little tumble-down house beside the thorns. He also learned that she had a girl living with her, which she had found one morning lying in the thorns, and that she cooked and cleaned and cared for her. Amazed, Prince Lucas asked if he could visit her the next day, and the woman agreed."

The Firelights play a triumphant stinger to signal Elena's reveal. "When Prince Lucas arrived the next day, he was stunned to find Elena, safe and sound." Brock smiles. "Elena told Prince Lucas about the wicked lord high chamberlain and the giant, and it was all she and the old woman could do to keep Prince Lucas from drawing his sword and rushing out to kill both of them right then and there."

The audience giggles in agreement. "The old woman begged Prince Lucas to take Elena secretly to the king and have the king hear her story, and then let him pass judgment on the lord high chamberlain according to the laws of the land. Prince Lucas agreed to this." Brock explains. "So they covered Elena's head with a veil and took her to the king. When the king heard her story, he called the court together and told them the outrage that had been committed against his son's promised bride. He commanded that the giant be executed the next day, and the lord high chamberlain and his wicked daughter be stripped of their titles and sent into exile."

He adds as an aside "I can only hope that exile taught them the evil of their ways, but as far as I know, they haven't been heard of since, so we may never know for sure."

He concludes "As for Elena, she married Prince Lucas, and they lived together in great happiness."

The crowd and the Players roar with applause as Brock and the Firelights take a bow....

• Staff

Week 301: How Mr. Drash Was Surprised

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 206, story 3)

"Far away from here stood a town populated by living food." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Mayor Mushroom looked after the town and its daily operations, Miss Tamato managed his mail and planned events, and all the food looked forward to visits from Cheddar the minstrel.

The children in the audience giggle as they picture what the food town's whimsical residents look like. "One spring, Mr. and Mrs. Eggplant welcomed their first child, and the whole town turned out to give gifts and their well wishes." Brock continues, quieting the giggles. "As part of the celebration, Mayor Mushroom had asked everyone to bring a meal so Mrs. Eggplant would not need to cook."

He then introduces the conflict in his tale. "Everyone had agreed, but Mr. Carrot panicked--he didn't know how to make anything the Eggplants would like, and most of what he tried to cook was terrible. Mr. Tofu had gone into town to try and make something organic and all natural for the Eggplants, but not one of the stalls he checked sold organic ingredients. Mr. Cinnamon had been mobbed by girls because of his sweet smell, and the list of problems--or excuses--grew longer and longer."

Some laughter goes up at this. "By the time Mayor Mushroom had given up hope for a nice collection of meals, Mr. Drash volunteered to go to town." Brock explains. "Mayor Mushroom knew Mr. Drash was very enthusiastic, not caring if he made a mess because of his joie de vivre. So Mayor Mushroom followed Mr. Drash to town to make sure he kept out of trouble."

He grins. "Mr. Drash was singing all the way to town, so Mayor Mushroom patiently endured the endless renditions of '99 Bottles of Juice on the Wall'. Just then, a windstorm blew up, which startled Mr. Drash so badly, he ran all the way back to Food Town. Try as Mayor Mushroom might to endure the wind, a particularly strong gust sent him flying into a ditch."

The audience roars with laughter as they picture Mayor Mushroom being blown about. "The wind died down some moments later, so Mayor Mushroom climbed out of the ditch and started searching for Mr. Drash." Brock assures the stil giggling audience. "He found Mr. Drash hiding in the bushes just outside of Food Town. Mr. Drash explained that he thought the wind was a horrible monster, and he didn't want to be eaten by a monster. Mayor Mushroom assured Mr. Drash that it was just a mountain windstorm, and nothing more. This cheered up Mr. Drash, and before long, he was his happy self again."

He concludes "The trip to town went without incident, and all the other residents of Food Town got a kick out of hearing how Mr. Drash was surprised."

Laughter and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow...

• Staff

Week 302a: The Legend of Callan, part 1

(real tale: The Story of Ciccu)

"There once lived a man who had three sons." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "The names of the elder two are not important to us, but the youngest was named Callan. They were all very poor, and eventually things got so bad that they did not have enough to eat. So the father called his sons, and said to them..."

"My dear boys, I am too old to work any more, and there is nothing left for me to do but beg in the streets." he sighs in a mimic of Flint for the father.

"No! You can't do that. If we had to, we would do it ourselves. But we have thought of a better plan than that." he pleads in a mimic of Ash for a supposed son.

"What is it?"

"We will take you in the forest where you will cut wood, and we will bind it up in bundles and sell it in town."

As himself, he continues "So their father let them do as they said, and they all made their way into the forest; and as the old man was weak from lack of food his sons took turns carrying him on their backs. Then they built a little house in a clearing, and set to work. Every morning the father cut wood, the sons bound them in bundles, and carried them to town, bringing back the food the old man dearly needed."

He sighs. "Some months passed like this, and then the father caught a horrible disease, and knew that Arceus was calling him home. He bade his sons gather, and told them all of his last will and testament."

"I have a little house in the village, and over it grows a Figy tree." he explains as the father. "The house I leave to my sons, who are to live there together. As for the Figy-tree, I leave my eldest son the branches, my middle son I leave the trunk, and to Callan, my youngest, I leave the fruit. Besides the house and tree, I have an old blanket, which I leave to my eldest son. I leave to my middle son a coin purse, and I leave to my youngest son a flute which belonged to their mother."

Some in the audience whisper excitedly at the mention of an instrument, but stop as Brock delivers the bad news. "The man clung to life for a few days before closing his eyes for the last time. The brothers wept bitterly for their father, whom they loved, and when they had buried him they began to talk about their future. After much discussion, they agreed to stay where they were and continue to earn their living by selling firewood."

A smile forms on his face--a signal that the sons' fortunes are about to turn. One summer evening, after they had been working hard all day, they fell asleep under a tree in front of the house. As they slept, Azelf, Mesprit, and Uxie passed that way, and stopped to look at them."

"What fine fellows! Let us give them Arceus' blessings." he smiles in a young male voice for Azelf.

"All right, how should we bless them?" he asks in a mimic of Dawn for Mesprit.

"This young man has a blanket over him. When he wraps it around him, may it take him and anyone with him anywhere in the world." he replies as Azelf

"This young man has a purse in his hand. May it always give him as much gold as he asks for." he pronounces as Mesprit.

"This one has a flute in his hand. When he plays a certain melody, may the seas be covered with ships. When he plays it again, may they all disappear."he pronounces in a mimic of Lucas for Uxie.

He intones as himself "Once Uxie had given his blessing, they vanished, unaware that Callan had been awake and heard the whole thing."

"Ooh" go up as Brock continues "The next day, when they were all cutting wood, he said to his brothers..." "

That old blanket and the purse are no use to you; I would like to keep them and take care of them until you have sons and daughters to pass them down to." he offers in a mimic of Ash for Callan.

He interjects as himself "Now, the two elder brothers were very fond of Callan, and never refused him anything, so they gladly let him have the blanket and the purse."

"Dear brothers, I am tired of the forest. I want to live in town, and work at some trade." he sighs as Callan

"Please, stay with us! We are very happy here; and who knows how fortune will treat us elsewhere?" he protests in a mimic of Gary for the eldest brother.

"We can always try. If we fall on hard times, we can always return to woodcutting."he assures an imagined person as Callan.

As himself, he continues "With that he picked up his bundle of sticks, and his brothers did the same. But when they reached the town, they found that the market was overstocked with firewood, and they did not sell enough to buy themselves dinner, much less to get food to take home. As they were wondering what to do, Callan said..."

"Come with me to the inn and let us have something to eat." he offers as Callan.

He narrates himself "They were so hungry by this time that they did not care about how they were going to pay for it, so they followed Callan, who told the innkeeper..."

"Bring us three plates of your best dish, and a good bottle of wine." he requests as Callan.

"Callan, are you nuts? How are we going to pay for it?" he protests as the eldest brother, to some giggles.

"Just trust me, okay?" he smiles as Callan.

As himself, Brock continues "When they had finished their dinner, Callan told the others to go on, and he would settle the bill. The brothers hurried on, without needing to be told twice, 'for, he has no money, and of course there will be a row.' they thought."

Giggles of anticipation fill the room, but Brock has other ideas. "When they were out of sight, Callan asked the innkeeper how much he owed, and then softly sang to his purse..."

He pauses to sing as Callan Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... before continuing as himself "...and just like that, six hundred gold pieces were in the purse--the exact price of what he had ordered! He paid the bill and joined his brothers."

"How did it go?" he asks as the eldest brother.

"Never you mind, I paid every penny," he replies as Callan.

He goes on as himself "...and he said no more about the matter. But the other two were very uneasy, for they were sure something fishy was going on, and the sooner they parted company with Callan the better. Callan understood what they were thinking, and, taking forty gold pieces from his pocket, gave twenty to each, saying...

"Take these and use them to make people happy. I am going on a journey of fortune." he explains as Callan.

As himself, he continues "With that, he embraced them, and started down another road."

He grins at the enthralled crowd. "What adventures awaited Callan? I will tell you more next week!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow....

• Staff

Week 302b: The Legend of Callan, part 2

Brock arrives onstage as the applause in the Fireside's main auditorium quiets. "He wandered for many days, until he came to the Aiiro City." he begins, picking up from where he left off the previous week. "The first thing Callan did was order himself some fine clothes, and then bought a grand house, nearby the palace. Next, he locked the door, and ordered a shower of gold to cover the staircase. When this was done, everyone came and marveled at the shining golden stairs. The rumor of these miracles reached the royal ears of the king, who left his palace to see them with his own eyes. Callan received him with all due respect, and showed him around the house."

"Wow"s fill the air as the audience imagines what the shining gold stairs and the house looked like. "When the king got home, he told so many stories of what he had seen that his wife and daughter wished go see them too." Brock continues. "So the king sent word asking Callan's permission, and Callan answered that if the queen and the princess--whose name was Christine-- would be pleased to do him such great honor he would show them anything they wished to see."

He explains "Now, Princess Christine was as beautiful as the sun, and when Callan looked at her, his heart went out to her, and he longed to have her as his bride. Princess Christine sensed the thoughts in his mind, and how she could use it to satisfy her curiosity about the golden stairs; so she praised him and flattered him, and asked all manner questions, until Callan finally broke down and told her the whole story of the Pixies and their gifts. She begged him to lend her the purse for a few days, so that she could have one made just like it, and so great was the love he had for her that he gave it to her without second thoughts."

"Uh oh"s and giggles of anticipation fill the air as the children wait to hear what happened next. "Princess Christine returned to the palace, taking with her the purse, which she had no intention of ever returning to Callan." Brock intones, making the giggles turn to "Ooh"s. "Before long, Callan had spent all the money he had, and could get no more without the help of his purse. Of course, he went to Princess Christine, and asked her if she was done with it, but she would give him some excuse, and told him to come back the next day. The next day the same thing happened, and the next, and the next, until a great rage filled Callan's heart instead of the love that had once been there."

He then intones "When night came he took a thick stick, wrapped himself in the blanket, and in seconds he was in Princess Christine's room. Princess Christine was asleep, but Callan grabbed her arm and pulled her out of bed, and beat her till she gave back the purse. Then he warped himself home. No sooner had he gone did Princess Christine hurry to her father and told him what had happened. The king was beyond furious, and summoned Callan before him."

"You deserve to die for harming my daughter, but I will allow you to live if you will give me the blanket, the purse, and the flute." he sternly instructs as the king.

He sighs before continuing as himself "What could Callan do? Life was sweet, and he was in the power of the king; so he gave up his gifts, and was as poor as before. While he was wondering what to do next, it suddenly occurred to him that this was the season for Figy Berries to ripen, and he said to himself, 'I will go see if the tree has borne any fruit.'

He walks around the stage to mimic Callan traveling. "So he set off for home, where his brothers still lived, and found them living very uncomfortably, for they had spent all their money, and did not know how to make more. However, he was pleased to see that the Figy tree was full of fruit. He ran and grabbed a basket, and was just feeling the Figy Berries to see if they were ripe, when the eldest brother called to him...

"Stop! The Figy Berries of course are yours, but the branches they grow on are mine, and I forbid you to touch them." he calls in a mimic of Gary for the eldest brother

As himself, he continues "Callan did not answer, but set a ladder against the tree, so that he could reach the topmost branches, and had his foot already on the first rung when he heard the voice of the middle brother reminding him the branches were his, and his alone. They argued for hours, and it seemed to be anyone's guess as to when they would stop, until Callan suggested they ask the magistrate in town. The others agreed, and when they arrived at the magistrate's house, Callan told him the whole story. The magistrate thought long and hard, then told the brothers...

"The Figy Berries rightfully belong to you, Callan, but you cannot pick them without touching the trunk and the branches." he explains in a mimic of Flint for the magistrate. "Therefore you must give your first basketful to your eldest brother, and the second basketful to your middle brother. The rest you can keep for yourself."

He continues as himself "This satisfied the elder brothers, and they all returned home, making plans to send a basket of Figy Berries to the king. So the best Figy Berries were carefully packed in a basket, and the eldest brother set out with it to the castle. On the road he met the wily Delphox Kitsune, who asked him..."

"What have you got there, my good man?" he asks in a mimic of Serena for Kitsune.

"Dirt, and nothing more." he scoffs as the eldest brother.

"So may it be." he smiles as Kitsune, to giggles from the audience.

He interjects as himself "Imagine the eldest brother's shock and surprise when it was discovered there was nothing but dirt in his basket! It goes without saying he was kicked out of the palace."

The audience roars with laughter as they picture the eldest brother's reaction. "A few days later, more Figy Berries were ready for picking, and the middle brother set out for the palace. He had not gone far down the road before he met Kitsune, who asked him what he had in his basket." Brock continues, quieting the laughter.

"Sawdust, and nothing more." he scoffs in a mimic of Barry for the middle brother.

"So may it be." he smiles as Kitsune.

As himself, he narrates "When the middle brother reached the castle, he was horrified to find sawdust in his basket, and he too was kicked out."

The audience cane hardly contain itself laughing at they picture the middle brother's look of horror in their minds. "Callan had to wait a little before he gathered the last Figy Berries on the tree, they were just as good as the first set." Brock smiles as the audience calms down. "He picked them and set out for the king's palace. Kitsune met Callan, and asked him..."

"What have you got in that basket?" he asks as Kitsune.

"Figy Berries for the king," he smiles as Callan.

"May I have one, please?"he requests as Kitsune.

He interjects as himself "Callan agreed, but Kitsune kept asking for more until she had eaten half the basket."

"Don't worry--continue on your way to the castle, and you will find luck." he smiles as Kitsune.

He concludes as himself "What did Kitsune mean by this prophecy? I will tell you more next week!"

Week 302c: The Legend of Callan, part 3

"Callan bid Kitsune farewell and went on his way, and with a trembling heart rang the bell at the castle gate." Brock begins, picking up where he left off the previous week.

"Here are some lovely Figy Berries for the king, If His Majesty will graciously accept them with my humble duty." he announces as Callan after one of the Firelights rings a bell for effect.

He narrates as himself "When the king was told that there was another man with a basket of Figy Berries, he cried...

"Oh, let him in, let him in! I suppose it is a bet of some kind!" he grumbles in his "king" voice, to some giggles from the crowd.

As himself, he reveals that Callan's attempt is no joke. "But Callan uncovered the basket, and there lay a pile of beautiful Figy Berries. The king was delighted, emptied them on a silver platter, and gave five hundred gold pieces to Callan, offering to hire him as a servant. Callan accepted gratefully, but said he must first return home and give the gold to his brothers. The other two brothers heard what happened, and they grew very jealous, and thought of ways they could put their little brother to shame."

"Ooh"s fill the air as Brock narrates "Finally, they came to the king and said to him...

"Your palace is beautiful indeed, but to be worthy of you it lacks one thing--the Sword of Eight Colors, now in possession of the troll Zulkis." he explains as one of the elder brothers.

"How can I get it?" he asks as the king.

"Oh, Callan can get it for you; ask him." he smirks as the elder brother.

He interjects as himself "So the king sent for Callan and said to him...

"Callan, you must bring me the Eight-color Blade, no matter what." he instructs as the king.

He continues as himself "Callan was surprised at this sudden command, and he walked thoughtfully away to the stables and began to stroke his favorite Ponyta, saying to himself...

"Ah, my friend, we must bid each other good-bye, for the king has sent me away to get the Eight-color Blade, which is in the hands of the troll Zulkis." he sighs as Callan

He next reveals the Ponyta's identity. "Now this Ponyta was not like other Ponytas, but none other than the Legendary steed, Epona!"

Cheers go up at this. "Fear nothing, and do as I tell you. Ask the king to give you fifty gold pieces and the rest will be easy." Brock instructs in a mimic of Lotta for Epona.

As himself, he continues "Callan did what Epona said, and asked the king to grant him what he asked. Then the two friends set out, but Epona chose what roads she pleased, and directed Callan in everything."

The Firelights play a "traveling" interlude before Brock continues "It took them many days of hard riding before they reached the land where Zulkis lived. Then Epona told Callan to offer the first three people to pass a piece of silver if they would collect a number of Venonats and tie them up in a bag. When the bag was full Callan put it on his shoulder and went into Zulkis' cave, and let them all out in his bedroom. He then hid under the bed and waited."

Giggleds of anticipation fill the air. "Zulkis came in late, very tired from his long walk, and flung himself on the bed, placing his the Eight-color Blade by his side. He had hardly laid down when the Venonats began to buzz about and bite him, and he rolled from side to side trying to catch them, which he never could do, though they always seemed to be close to his nose. He was so busy with the Venonats, he did not hear Callan sneak out with the sword. But Epona stood ready by the cave entrance, and as Callan came flying down the stairs and jumped on her back, she sped away like the wind, and never stopped until they arrived at the king's palace."

He explains "The king had suffered in his absence, thinking that if Zulkis ate Callan, it would be all his fault. He was so overjoyed to see him safe that he almost forgot about the sword. But the two brothers did not love Callan any better because he had succeeded when they hoped he would have failed."

He concludes "What other plots did the brothers have up their sleeve? I will tell you more next week!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock and the Firelights take a bow...

Week 302d: The Legend of Callan, part 4

The crowd applauds as Brock arrives onstage. "The king had suffered in his absence, thinking that if Zulkis ate Callan, it would be all his fault. He was so overjoyed to see him safe that he almost forgot about the sword. But the two brothers did not love Callan any better because he had succeeded when they hoped he would have failed." he begins, picking up from where he ended the previous week. One day, they spoke to the king."

"It is all well and good for Callan to have gotten the legendary Eight-color Blade, but it would bring you even more honor if he had captured Zulkis himself." he suggests as the eldest brother.

He interjects as himself "The king thought on these words, and finally said to Callan..."

"Callan, I will not rest until you bring me back Zulkis himself. You may have any help you like." he instructs as the king.

As himself, he narrates "Callan felt down-hearted at these words, and went to the stable to ask the advice of his friend Epona."

"Fear nothing. Just say you only need fifty pieces of gold."he smiles as Epona.

He goes on as himself "Callan did as he was told, and the two set out together. When they reached the land of Zulkis, Callan had all the bells toll, and told all the minstrels to play the funeral hymn, under the ruse he had died." The Firelights softly play a few bars of "Amazing Grace" for effect. "Zulkis soon heard the news, and was glad in his heart, for he thought, 'Well, it is good news that the thief who stole my sword is dead.'"

Giggles of anticipation fill the air as the Firelights finish playing "But Callan bought an axe and a saw, cut down a pine tree in the closest forest he could find, and began to saw it into planks.

"What are you doing in my forest?"he demands in a deep gravelly voice for Zulkis--one of his favorite "monster" voices.

"I am making a coffin for the body of Callan, milord." he replies as Callan

"Don't be in such a hurry, perhaps I can help you." he offers as Zulkis.

He continues as himself "They set to work sawing and fitting, and soon the coffin was finished."

"Oh, silly me! I never took any measurements." he chuckles as Callan. "How am I to know if it is big enough? But come to think of it, Callan was about your size. I wonder if you would be so kind to put yourself in the coffin, and see if there is enough room."

"Of course!"he grins as Zulkis.

As himself, Brock intones :So Zulkis laid down in the coffin. Once sure Zulkis would not be getting out, Callan closed it up, tied a thick rope around it, tied that to Epona, and rode back to the king. When the king saw that he really had brought back Zulkis, he commanded a huge iron chest to be brought, and locked the coffin up inside."

He concludes "But the brothers had one more plot up their sleeves...I will tell you what that entailed next week!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock and the Firelights take a bow....

Week 302e: The Legend of Callan, part 5

"Some time later the queen succumbed to a horrible disease, and after a few months, the king decided to marry again." Brock begins as he arrives onstage, picking up where he left off the previous week. "He looked everywhere, but he did not hear of any princess that struck his fancy. Then the two jealous brothers came to him and said..."

"Your Majesty! There is but one woman that is worthy of being your wife, and that is Marla, the fairest in the world." he breathlessly explains as the eldest brother.

"Where can I find her?" he asks as the king.

"Oh, Callan will know, and he will bring her to you." he smirks as the eldest brother.

He explains as himself "The king had got so used to depending on Callan, that he really believed he could do everything. So he sent for him and said..."

"Callan, if you can bring me Princess Marla, the fairest in the world, I will handsomely reward you If you fail, it will be your life in exchange for hers." he warns as the king.

He narrates as himself "This mission seemed to Callan a hundred times worse than the others, and with tears in his eyes he made his way to the stables."

"Cheer up! Tell the king you must have supplies for the journey, and leave the rest to me." he smiles in character as Epona.

"Callan did as he was told, and they left early the next day." he continues as himself. After they had ridden for a while, they saw a Lucario lying on the ground, so hungry and weak that it was unable to walk. Callan felt sorry for the majestic wolf Pokemon, and gave it some meat, receiving a ruby as thanks."

Excited whispers go up at the mention of magical jewels, which intensify as Brock continues. "Before long, they came to a stream, where Callan spotted a Goldeen flapping feebly about in its efforts to reach the water. Callan carefully put it back in the water, and received a sapphire as thanks. Farther along the hillside they saw a Braviary whose leg was caught in a trap. Callan set it free, and in a moment the Braviary was soaring up into the sky, and an emerald dropped at Callan's feet in thanks. Eventually, they came to the castle where Princess Marla lived with her parents."

"Wait here, for I must enter the castle alone." he explains as Epona. "When you see me come by with Princess Marla on my back, jump on behind her, and hold her tight, so that she does not escape. If you fail to do this, we are both done for."

He continues as himself "Everything happened as Epona had said. As they dashed past the rock where Callan was waiting for them, he swung himself up and held her round the waist. As he put his arms round her waist, Princess Marla unwound the veil from her head and threw it to the ground, then she tossed a ring into the stream. But she said nothing, and they rode on and on. The king was watching for them from the top of a tower, and when he saw in the distance a cloud of dust, he ran down to the steps so as to be ready to receive them. Bowing low before Princess Marla, he spoke.

"Noble lady, will you grant me the honor of being my bride?" he asks as the king as he bows before an imagined person.

"That can only be when Callan brings me the veil that I let dropped on my way here." he replies in a mimic of Misty for Princess Marla.

He interjects as himself "Callan, who by this time had hoped for a little peace, felt his heart sink at this new errand, and he went into the stable to complain to faithful Epona."

"It will be all right--just take enough food for the day for both of us, and then get on my back." he assures the crowd as Epona.

He reveals a prop emerald to the audience "They rode back the way they had come until they reached the place where they had found the Braviary. Epona told Callan to invoke the emerald."

He next sings as Callan Karuto, iichiida shou..., making the prop emerald glow in response to his voice. He continues as himself The emerald glowed, and the Braviary they had rescued came fluttering towards them with the veil in his beak. Callan took the veil, thanked the Braviary, and rode back to the king. The king was elated to see him so soon. He wasted no time in taking the veil from Callan and flinging it over Princess Marla.

"Here is the veil you asked for, so I claim you for my bride." he announces as the king.

"Not so fast! I can never be your bride until I have the ring I accidentally threw into the stream." he shoots back as Princess Marla, to some laughter.

Callan, who was expecting something like this, bowed his head when he heard her words, and went straight to Epona. he narrates as himself.

"Mount immediately, this time it is very simple,"he smiles as Epona.

After jogging around the stage to mimic Callan and Epona traveeling, he stops at center stage and reveals a prop sapphire to the audience. "Now, invoke the sapphire." he instructs as Epona.

He sings as Callan Rou iitsa ron selga vichii..., making the sapphire glow.

As himself, he continues "Sure enough, the Goldeen Callan had saved came to the surface with the lost ring in her mouth. Callan took the ring, thanked the Goldeen, and rode back with it to the king."

He then reveals the twist in his tale as Princess Marla "That is not enough--before we can be man and wife, the oven must be heated for three days and three nights, and Callan must survive the trial by fire."

Piqued chatter wafts through the auditorium--the Lucario and the ruby was just a red Goldeen! "This time Callan felt that no escape was possible, and he went to Epona and laid his hand on her neck." Brock narrates, quieting the chatter.

"Now it is goodbye for real, and there is no help to be gotten even from you." he sighs as Callan.

"Never lose heart, but simply sing the spell I will teach you, which is a spell of protection. Once the spell is cast, you may enter the oven, and the fire will not hurt you or anything else." he explains as Epona.

As himself, he continues "Callan did exactly as Epona bade him, went back to the king, and before the eyes of Princess Marla..."

He sings as Callan Leishu shun ji, lei si.... before intoning as himself "...he leaped into the oven. When Princess Marla saw Callan emerge from the oven without even being singed, she fell in love with him, and she said to the king,

"One more thing--before I can be your bride, you must survive the trial of fire as Callan has done." he instructs as Princess Marla.

Brock next reveals the king's fate as himself. "The king gladly agreed, and threw himself into the oven. But as he did not know the spell of protection, he was burned alive."

Laughter and applause go up as Brock concludes "And so Callan married Princess Marla, and became king of all the land."

The applause intensifies as Brock takes a bow...

Week 303a: The Faithful Prince, part 1

(real tale: The Faithful Prince)

"Long ago there one lived a king who had an only son, named Brian, who was as handsome as the midday sun, and pure as the midnight moon." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Now, one day Prince Brian went hunting, and he looked to the north, and looked to the south, and looked to the east, and found nothing. As he turned towards the west, a shining Sawsbuck appeared from a thicket. Dazzled by the wonderful sight, the astonished prince told his retainers to form a circle around the beautiful Pokemon, so it could not escape. As the circle of hunters closed in, the shining Sawbuck suddenly ran for Prince Brian! But he was faster, and caught it by the antlers."

He grins. "Imagine his surprise when the Sawsbuck spoke to him!"

"Let me go, and I will give you countless treasures!" he pleads in a mimic of Misty for the Sawsbuck--a clue as to what the Sawsbuck really is.

"Why should I? I have gold and jewels galore, but never a shining Pokemon." he scoffs in a mimic of Ash for Prince Brian.

"Let me go, and I will give you more than treasures!"

"And what may that be?"

"I will give you a ride on my back unlike any mortal man before you."

Some applause fills the air at Brock's mimicry skill. "Prince Brian giddily leaped aboard the Sawsbuck's back; and like an arrow from the bow, the shining Pokemon rose through the air till it was only a tiny speck against the horizon." he continues as himself. "For seven days it carried Prince Brian over all the world, and he could see everything like a fine painting passing below, and on the evening of the seventh day it touched the ground again, and just as mysteriously as it had appeared, it vanished. Prince Brian rubbed his eyes in confusion, for he had never been in such a strange land before. He wandered for a while looking for any sign of a house or a footprint, when suddenly, an earth fairy appeared from the ground at his feet."

"How did you come here? What is it are you looking for, milord?" he asks in his mimic of Misty.

He narrates as himself "So Prince Brian told the earth fairy how he had ridden there on a shining Sawsbuck, which had disappeared, and how he was lost and alone in this strange land."

He then reveals who the Sawsbuck really is. "Do not be alarmed, milord. I welcome you to the Land of Spirits, but I and the other fairies will make sure the evil spirits and creatures of this realm do not hurt you. My name is Gaia, whose life you saved when I was in the world of mortals in the shape of a shining Sawsbuck."

"Oh"s fill the room as Brock narrates as himself. "Gaia took Prince Brian to her house, and treated him like royalty, giving him a keyring with a hundred keys."

"These are the keys to my palaces and gardens. Take a look around, and maybe you may find a treasure worth having." he smiles as Gaia, offering something to an imagined person.

Gasps of awe and amazement waft through the auditorium as Brock describes the wonders of Gaia's domain. "So every day Prince Brian opened a new door, and in one he found rooms full of gold, and in another jewels, and in a third rare and exotic items. But when he came to the hundredth palace, he was shocked to find it a poor person's house. It was full of all kinds of dangerous things, herbs, stones, snakes, and insects. But the garden in which it stood was by far the most beautiful of all. It was seven miles long, and seven miles wide, full of tall trees and bright flowers, lakes, streams, fountains, and guest houses. Beautiflies flitted about, and exotic birds sang in it. Prince Brian, explored the garden from one end to the other, until he finally lay down to rest in a marble house, where he found a golden bed, spread with silken sheets."

He next reveals the heroine of his story "As he slept, the wind fairy Susanna, who was exploring the area in the form of a Pidove, happened to fly over the garden, and when she spotted our hero, she was astonished at seeing someone so beautiful. When she assumed her true form again, she stooped over the young man and gave him a kiss."

"Aw"s and giggles fill the air as the crowd pictures Prince Brian's reaction. "Prince Brian woke up with a jump, and and imagine his surprise when he saw the most beautiful princess in the world beside him!" Brock smiles, savoring the audience's reactions.

"Dearest Prince! I have been searching for you!" he smiles in a mimic of Serena for Susanna.

He goes on as himself "It goes without saying the two of them fell madly in love with each other, and they agreed to get married as soon as they could. Despite this, Prince Brian thought it best to first ask his hostess Gaia, seeing how powerful she was in the Land of Spirits. Gaia not only gave her blessing, but showered Prince Brian and his beloved with many lavish gifts. And so it was that Prince Brian and the wind fairy Susanna were married, and lived happily for a long time."

He is quick to caution "But the story is not over here...trouble was afoot in the realm of mortals, and Prince Brian, with the help of the fey, would embark on an epic adventure to make things right again--I will tell you what that entailed next week!"

Week 303b: The Faithful Prince, part 2

"Eventually, thoughts of his homeland came back to Prince Brian." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He missed his father the king, his mother the queen, his faithful Rapidash Wildfire, and his faithful Arcanine Hunter. He told his beloved Susanna about them, but telling these stories made him depressed, to the point he was refusing dinner. Gaia was equally enthralled by these stories, but she knew that deep down, her guest yearned for his homeland, and that was why he was depressed. Finally, she asked Prince Brian what was wrong."

"Beautiful guardian of the earth! Let me go home and see everyone, as I have not seen them in quite some time!" he pleads as Prince Brian.

"All right--you are always welcome here in the Land of Spirits if you if wish to return." he replies as Gaia. "But be warned--the world of mortals has changed since you left it, and I sense that you will run into trouble. If you ever need help, sing to this emerald the words 'Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo....' and I will come to your side as quickly as I can."

Excited whispers fill the air as Brock continues "The next morning, after Prince Brian and Gaia said a tearful farewell, and with a spell of teleportation..."

He pauses to sing as Gaia Karuto, iichiida shou... before continuing as himself "Prince Brian found himself standing outside his home city, with his beloved Susanna beside him."

Some in the audience start to applaud, but Brock is quick to caution "But, just as Gaia had foretold, everything had changed. His father and mother had died, a usurper sat on the throne, and had put a price on Brian's head should he ever return from his mysterious journey. Luckily, no one recognized our hero save for his old huntsman, who, though overjoyed to see his master again, said it was a huge risk to give him shelter. Nevertheless, he agreed to let the young couple live in the attic of his house."

"My old mother will never see you coming and going; and as you used to be fond of hunting, you can help me hunt, as I once helped you." he offers in a younger version of himself.

As himself, he continues "So Prince Brian and Princess Susanna hid in the attic of the huntsman's house, and for a long time no one had a clue they were there."

Nervous giggles go up as Brock continues "One day, when Prince Brian had gone out to hunt, Princess Susanna took the opportunity of washing her beautiful golden hair, which came down to her ankles like a cascade of sunbeams, making sure to leave the window open so that the breeze would dry her hair."

The children whisper excitedly as they picture what Princes Susanna looks like, but Brock is quick to quiet the chatter. "Now, at that moment the captain of the guard happened to pass by, and seeing the window open, looked up and saw the lovely Susanna. He was so smitten he very nearly tripped and fell, and all that day he could not stop talking about a beautiful fairy with golden hair in the huntsman's attic. This got everybody wondering whether he had gone nuts, or was possessed."

Laughter goes up as the crowd pictures the captain babbling. The king sent guards to the house, and though the old woman said no one of that description was there, the guards insisted on looking in the attic anyway. Terrified, Princess Susanna locked the door, grabbed a knife, and cut a hole in the wooden roof. Then, transforming into a Pidove, she flew out, so that when the soldiers burst in the room, no one was there, just as the old woman said!"

Then something occurs to him. "It pained Princess Susanna to leave Prince Brian in such a hurry, and as she flew past the old woman, she whispered in her ear...

"I go to my father's house in the Diamond Mountain." he whispers as Princess Susanna

As himself, he goes on "That evening, when Prince Brian returned from hunting, great was his grief at finding the attic ransacked! Nor could the old woman tell him what had occurred; but when he heard about the mysterious voice which whispered, 'I go to my father's house in the Diamond Mountain,' he was comforted a little. When he realized that he had no idea where the Diamond Mountain was, he slumped to the floor with a sigh."

He reveals a prop emerald to the audience. "Then he remembered the magic emerald, and sang to it..."

He then sings as Prince Brian Imultaos, ame no hao bakezo... making the prop emerald glow in response to his voice.

He interjects as himself "In a rush of leaves Gaia appeared, and asked him what he needed."

"Show me the way to the Diamond Mountain." he requests as Prince Brian

"You would never reach it alive--it is a long and perilous journey, and I fear you could die before you ever got there." he warns as Gaia

"I have only one life to live, and it will be gone if I lose my dear Susanna! If I must die, I will die seeking her." he pleads as Prince Brian.

As himself, he continues "Gaia was touched by Prince Brian's faithfulness, and promised to help him as much as she could. She carried him back to the Land of Spirits, and giving him a magic wand, told him to travel across the land until he came to the house of Ember, a fire fairy."

"You will meet many dangers on the way, but keep the magic wand with you, and nothing will harm you. That is all I can do for you now, but Ember, one of my closest friends, can help you on your way." he instructs as Gaia.

He concludes as himself "What perils did Prince Brian meet on his quest? I will tell you more next week!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the air as Brock takes a bow.

Week 303c: The Faithful Prince, part 3

"Prince Brian traveled through the Land of Spirits, and because he held the magic wand in his hand, no harm came to him." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "Finally, he arrived at the house of Ember the fire fairy. She welcomed him graciously, and asked Prince Brian what he needed. But when she heard Prince Brian's story, she shook her head."

"I don't know if a mortal has ever reached the Diamond Mountain, my son. The way there is long, and filled with danger." he cautions in a mimic of Akane for Ember.

"I have but one life to live, and that is gone if I lose my dearest Susanna! If I must die, let me die seeking her." he explains as Prince Brian.

He interjects as himself "This answer touched Ember's heart, and she gave our hero a bag of magic powder, and bade him travel on until he came to the house of the water fairy River.

"River is like a sister to me, and if anybody can do what you want, she can. If you are ever in need, sprinkle the powder on something, and wonderful things will happen." he instructs as Ember.

As himself, Brock continues "So Prince Brian continued on through the Land of Spirits until he reached the house of River the water fairy, He told her everything, showing her the powder and the magic wand as proof. She too tried to talk him out of it, but Prince Brian would have none of it."

"You are a brave young man, and I will do what I can for you." he smiles in a mimic of Yuki for River. "Take this cap of invisibility--it is a gift from me. Journey to the north, and in the distance you will see the Diamond Mountain. It is an enchanted mountain, and the farther you climb the higher it grows. On the summit lies the Diamond City. Enter it by means of the cap of invisibility, and find your beloved."

Brock continues as himself "So Prince Brian journeyed to the north, until in the distance he saw the glittering Diamond Mountain. After sprinkling the magic powder on the mountainside, the Diamond City lay before him, looking as if it had been cut out of a single jewel. But Prince Brian thought of nothing more than his beloved, and wandered up and down the gleaming city protected by his cap of invisibility."

He then reveals what became of Princess Susanna. "It turned out that Princess Susanna's father had locked her up inside seven prisons, fearing she would fly away again, for he doted on her, and feared she would escape back to earth and her handsome young prince. So Princess Susanna cried within her seven prisons, for how could a mortal man ever reach the Diamond Mountain?"

A mix of knowing giggles and concerned whispers waft through the audience as Brock goes on "Prince Brian, meanwhile, noticed a servant who every day at a certain time entered a certain door with a tray of candies. Curious, he took advantage of his cap of invisibility, and when she opened the door he slipped in behind her. Nothing was to be seen but a large door, which, after shutting and locking the outer one, the servant opened. Again Prince Brian slipped in behind her, and again saw nothing but a huge door. He went like this through all seven doors, until he came to the seventh prison, and there sat the beautiful Princess Susanna, who cried bitter tears. He restrained himself from flinging himself at her feet, but remembering that he was invisible, he waited until the servant had left. Then he sat down by Princess Susanna and began to eat some of the candies. She refused to eat anything, so when she saw the contents of the dish disappearing, she thought she was imagining things. But as the candies disappeared one by one, she eventually called...

"Who's there?" he calls offstage as Princess Susanna.

He grins. "Then Prince Brian revealed himself to her, and her tears changed to radiant smiles. The next day, the servant was stunned when she found Prince Brian seated beside his beloved Susanna. She ran to tell the king, who, when he heard the whole story, was well pleased at the courage and faithfulness of Prince Brian, and ordered Princess Susanna to be released immediately."

The audience is all smiles as Brock concludes "He appointed Prince Brian as his heir, and so the faithful Prince Brian and his beautiful bride lived happily ever after in the Diamond Kingdom."

@Chimchar98; @The Jingster; @Tophat Dragoneye; @Soulmaster

Week 304: The Unlucky Hunter

(real tale: Huntsman the Unlucky)

"Once there lived a hunter named Arden." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "He would go every day in search of game, but more often than not, he failed to kill anything, and so was forced to return home with his empty bag. It was for this reason everybody called him 'Arden the Unlucky.'

"oH"s and excited whispers fill the room when the audience spots a familiar bow and quiver of prop arrows on Brock's back. "Before long, he did not even have a piece of bread or a penny to his name." Brock sighs. "So he wandered through the forest, cold and hungry; he had eaten nothing for three days, and was nearly dying of starvation. Finally, he lay down on the grass, thinking seriously about ending it all."

Gasps go up at the horrifying prospect of the story ending before it even begins. "Thankfully, better thoughts came into his mind; so he threw away the rope he had planned to use as a noose." Brock is quick to assure the frightened crowd. "Suddenly he heard a rustling noise. It seemed to come from some thick grass nearby. Curious, Arden got up and approached the spot. He saw that the grass partially covered a hole. A stone lay in the hole, and a small jar sat on top of it. As he studied this odd sight, Arden heard a small voice crying...

“Please, traveler, release me!” he pleads in a mimic of Yuki.

He explains as himself "The voice was coming from the jar. Intrigued, he approached the spot where the jar was, carefully picked it up, and heard the same voice crying from within."

“Release me, and I will be of service to you.” he requests as the invisible being.

“Who are you, may I ask?”he asks in a mimic of Ash for Arden.

“I have no name, and cannot be seen by human eyes. If you want me, sing ‘Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...’ Long ago, an evil wizard put me in this jar, sealed it with a demonic seal, and then threw me into this hole, where I have been for two hundred years.”

“I will release you, on the condition you keep your word.”

Some in the audience applaud Brock's vocal dexterity as Brock continues as himself "After drawing a sign of Arceus on the lid to break the seal, Arden opened the jar...and there was nothing there!"

He calls offstage as Arden “Hello? Where are you, my friend?"

“By your side.” he replies as the being.

After looking around him for a moment, but finding nothing there, Brock sings as Arden Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

“Here I am! I am your servant for all time, and I will do whatever you desire. You have only to tell me what to do, and I will do it." he smiles as the being.

“All right...I would very much like something to eat." he requests as Arden.

As himself, he goes on "The words were hardly out of his mouth before Arden saw a table set with a meal fit for a king before him. After he ate and drank his fill, the table disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared."

He walks around the stage as he continues "After walking for a while, he sat down by the roadside to rest. As Arden was resting a man passed that way, leading a Ponyta which he wanted to sell."

He then proceeds to role play another scene between Arden and his invisible friend. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

“Here I am--what do you wish?”

“See that Ponyta there? I would like to buy it, but have no money."

As himself, he continues "In minutes, Arden heard coins jingling in his pocket; he did not know how they got there nor where they came from. He approached the man and made a generous offer for the Ponyta. After they had agreed on the price, he paid the man in gold. When he realized who he had sold the Ponyta to, the man wondered where Arden had gotten so much money from."

Giggles go up at this. "Word of Arden's turn of fortune spread, but not all wanted to wish him well." Brock cautions. "Before long, the news reached the leader of a notorious bandit gang. Arden heard the noise of the bandits approaching, and was surrounded in moments."

He then roleplays the encounter for his audience. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

"Here I am, what do you wish?"

“Please, save me from these bandits!”

As himself, he continues "About then, a mighty gust of wind blew up, which spooked the bandits' Ponytas. Many of the bandits were thrown from their mounts, and could not get up. Arden, thankful and rejoicing at his deliverance, rode on, found his way out of the forest, and came upon a great city."

Excited whispers fill the air as Brock sets the scene. "Now, near the city tents full of soldiers were pitched. Arden was told that an enormous army of invaders from the desert had come, under the command of their king, who, angry at being refused the hand of the beautiful Princess Marla, had declared war against him. Arden remembered he had seen the Princess Marla while she was out hunting in the forest. She rode a shining Rapidash, carried a magical crystal sword in her hand; and a magnificent bow and quiver of arrows hung from her back. She was as beautiful as the dawn, to give light to the eyes and warmth to the heart."

"Wow"s fill the air as the audience pictures what Princess Marla would look like, if she were real. "Arden savored the beautiful memory for a moment, and then sang..." Brock narrates before singing as Arden to start another role play. Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

"Here I am...what do you wish?"

"An army of invaders even now stands poised to attack this fair city--I would like to save it!"

He smiles. "In a moment he found himself in splendid attire--his red jacket was embroidered with gold, he wore a beautiful deep red mantle on his shoulders, and a beautiful white plume hung gracefully down from the top of his helmet, fastened by a brooch of a ruby surrounded by diamonds. Arden went into the castle, presented himself before the king, and offered to drive away the enemy forces in return for the beautiful Princess Marla as his bride. The king was greatly surprised, but did not like to refuse such an offer right away; he first asked the hunter his name, and where he came from."

“I am called Arden, the Sage of the Unseen.” he replies as Arden as he bows before an imagined person.

He interjects as himself "The king thought the young stranger was nuts; the courtiers, however, who had seen him before, assured the king that the stranger resembled Arden, whom they knew; but how he got his beautiful costume, they did not know."

“Do you hear what they say? If you are lying to me, you will perish. Let us see how you will overcome the enemy with the forces of your invisible familiar.” he intones as the king.

“Be of good cheer, Your Majesty. As soon as I say the word, everything will be well.” he assures the crowd as Arden.

“Good--If you speak the truth, you will have my daughter Marla for your bride; if not, your life will be the forfeit.” he warns as the king.

He narrates as himself "Arden agreed to these terms, left the castle, and then sang...

As Arden, he sings Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul...

He then whispers in character “Strike down these invaders, please.”

He takes his bow as he continues "A few minutes passed, and nothing seemed to occur."

After his target clicks into place offstage, Brock nocks his shot, then narrates "The king was moments away from ordering the guards to arrest Arden, when suddenly the whistle of arrows was heard in the distance." With that, he fires, the thunk confirming a successful hit.

Some applause goes up as Brock sets his bow and the prop arrows aside. "The king and his courtiers ran out on the steps leading to the castle, and saw millions of heroes approaching from all sides, their banners waving gracefully in the wind; soldiers, archers, and mages alike all armed with fabulous weapons and armor. The king could hardly believe his eyes, for he himself had no troops like these."

“This is no delusion! These are the forces of my invisible familiar.” he explains as Arden.

“Let them drive away the enemy then, if they can.”he replies as the king

He continues from center stage "Arden unleashed a mighty battle cry, the troops marched forth, the war-horns struck up a battle march, and then a great cloud of dust arose. When the dust had cleared, the army was gone. The king invited Arden to dinner, and asked him all manner of questions about his invisible familiar, and Arden answered him honestly. By the time the soup course was served, the news came that the enemy was fleeing in every direction, completely routed, leaving behind all they had brought with them."

Cheers go up at Arden's victory. 'The king thanked Arden for his assistance, and informed Princess Marla that he had found a husband for her." Brock continues. "Princess Marla blushed upon receiving this news, and began to shed tears of happiness. Concerned, Arden whispered something...

He nearly whispers as Arden Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul... before continuing as himself "...and Princess Marla's tears turned into gems as they fell. The courtiers hurried to pick them up, — rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds, and pearls to name but a few."

"Wow"s go up as Brock concludes "Princess Marla smiled at this, and joyfully gave her hand to Arden, and they were married the next day."

Then something occurs to Brock. "In fact, Arden is still known today in that land as 'Arden the Lucky'."

Cheers and applause fill the room as Brock takes a bow...

Week 305: Kanade's Power

(real tale: "Folktales from Japan" episode 211, story 2)

"Long ago, in a certain village, there stood a temple known as Kannamiji." Brock begins as he arrives onstage. "The fishermen in the next region over would take torches into their boats at night, using the firelight to lure fish to their nets."

The lights dim a little to represent nighttime. "One night, as they were fishing, a bright light lit up the sky." Brock continues from a spotlight. "It was so bright, the night sky turned to day. Terrified, the fishermen drew in their nets and returned to shore. This happened for several nights in a row, and it got to the point where the fishermen called a meeting to find out just what the bright light was. One of the fishermen had noticed the light coming from Kannamiji, and so the fishermen sent three volunteers to the place where Kannamiji stood."

Whispers of debate waft through the auditorium as Brock goes on "After a long journey--which is a story in itself--they arrived at Kannamiji not long before midnight. After making the long climb up to the temple, they saw that no one appeared to be inside at first, but when they looked closer, they saw a miko saying her prayers before the main altar, as she was supposed to do at midnight. Since her back was turned and her voice was nearly a whisper, the three explorers couldn't tell who she was. Not wanting to disturb the miko, they quietly left offerings at the altar. Just as they turned to leave, they heard a familiar voice sing...

He then sings in a familiar female voice Gatrandis favel, secret, edena...
Emusto ronzen fine el balaziis...
Katordis favel siicletu edena...
Emusto koron zen fine, si...

Applause fills the air as the last note echoes off the auditorium's back wall. "As the last note of the song rang through the temple, the jewel on the Arceus statue's head began to shine, nearly blinding our three explorers." Brock continues.

He then reveals who the miko is. "Their screams alerted the miko to their presence, and when she turned around, they realized she was none other than the great warrior-miko, Kanade. Needless to say, they profusely apologized for interrupting her, and told her why they had come. Kanade replied that as a miko, she was to pray four times a day--at midnight, at sunrise, at midday, and at sunset. The Arceus statue in the shrine had come from their home region as a gift long ago, so it had a connection to them."

"Oh"s fill the air as Brock goes on "She went on to tell them that Arceus had appeared to her in a dream that night, telling her that he did not want to remain isolated on the mountain, but wanted to be among the people he created, guiding and teaching them. Kanade had wondered for a long time how she was supposed to move the statue, and so had beseeched Arceus directly for guidance--the song the three explorers had heard."

The lights brighten again to mimic daytime. "Back at home, the three fishermen told the village what had happened." Brock explains. "The village elder verified their story, but after they had given the statue to their neighboring village, it was placed in a mountain temple, and no one wanted to hike all the way up there to pray or leave offerings. He agreed that the light was Arceus telling them he did not want to be above his people, but part of them."

He concludes "It took a monumental effort from several villages, but the statue was moved into a new shrine in the village itself, where people could freely visit it."

Then he adds as an afterthought. "In fact, it still stands in that village today."

Applause goes up as Brock takes a bow...

Week 306a: The Jeweled Arrow, part 1

(real tale: The Jeweled Arrow)

"In an exotic city of a far away land, there lived a powerful king named Archana." Brock begins as he arrives onstage to excited whispers over the bow and quiver of prop arrows on his back. "In this land many man of noble and royal standing often had many wives, and Archana was no exception. Each member of Archana's harem had several sons and daughters. But of all his wives this king loved best the one named Chandra, and of all his sons and daughters, her youngest born, named Varun, was his favorite. Chandra was kind and pure of heart, and her son Varun was like his mother and sisters in many ways. He was also very clever, while his brothers were not like him at all. They wanted their way in everything, and they were jealous of their father's love for him. Fueled by this jealousy, they would band together to try and hurt him, but also argued among themselves about the best way to do it."

Nervous giggles go up at this. "It was the same way with the other queens. They hated Chandra because their husband loved her the most, and they constantly came to him with stories of the wicked things she had supposedly done, but the king would brush them off as fairy tales, since there was no proof Chandra had done anything wrong." Brock explains. "The most bitter of the queens was Kirati, who was cunning enough to know what sort of tale the king was likely to believe. In turn, the king longed to find out the truth of the matter. So one day, he told Chandra he had some sad news for her which he had heard from his chief astrologer. Chandra did not doubt that what her husband was about to tell her was true, and she listened eagerly. Archana went on to say that the astrologer had seen in the stars that a terrible misfortune threatened him and his kingdom and the only way to prevent it was to lock Chandra away for the rest of her life. Of course, Chandra knew she had done nothing wrong, and could not understand how putting her in prison would help anybody. Yet she did not resist, and did not even ask Archana to let her see Varun again. She just bowed her head and said...

"Be it to me as my husband wills. If he wishes me to die, I am ready to lay down my life." he replies in a mimic of Lola for Chandra, complete with a little bow.

"This submission made the king feel even more unhappy than before." Brock sighs as himself. "He longed to take his wife in his arms and tell her he would never let her go; and perhaps if she had looked at him then, he would have seen all her love for him in her eyes, but she remained perfectly still with a bowed head, waiting to hear what her fate was to be. Then the thought entered Archana's mind that maybe what Kirati said was true."

Gasps go up at this. "So the king summoned his guards and ordered them to take Chandra to a strong prison and leave her there." Brock goes on. "She went quietly with them, only turning once to look lovingly at her husband as she was led away. Archana returned to his own castle and had not been there very long when he got a message from Kirati, begging to see him, for she had something interesting to tell him. The king agreed, thinking to himself, 'Perhaps she has found out that what she told me about my dear Chandra is not true'."

He then reveals the message to the nervous audience. "But Kirati told him she had discovered a plot against his life. The son of Chandra and some of the chief men of the kingdom, she said, had supposedly formed a plot to kill him, so that Varun might reign in his stead. She and some of the other queens had overheard conversations between them, she said."

Angry whispers fill the air at this. "Archana did not believe this, but he had Varun carefully watched out of an abundance of caution." Brock explains. "Then something happened which led him to fear that what Kirati said was true."

He takes a glittering prop arrow out of the quiver and shows it to the audience. "The king had a wonderful arrow set with precious jewels. It had been given to him by a wizard, and had the power of hitting whatever it was aimed at, even if the target were a thousand miles away or more. The very day he had meant to visit Chandra, the arrow turned up missing. This distressed him very much; and after turning the palace upside down to look for it, he summoned all the castle's residents to his presence, and asked if any of them knew anything about the arrow. He promised that he would forgive anyone who helped him to get it back, even if it were the thief himself; but added that if the arrow was not found in three days he had ways of making the culprits talk."

Nervous giggles go up at this before Brock reveals the truth. "What had happened was that Kirati knew where the king kept the arrow, taken it to her apartment, and told the other queens and their sons how to get their brother shamed."

In a mimic of Jessie for Kirati, he explains "Have a great shooting match, in which your brother will be delighted to take part, for he is very proud of his archery skill. On the day of the match, I will send for him and give him the jeweled arrow to shoot, telling him the king had said I could lend it to him. Your father will then think he stole it and order him to be sent away."

"Boos" and angry murmurs fill the air as Brock goes on "The brothers did what Kirati said to do. When the appointed day came, all of them pretended to try and hit the target; but none of them really wished to succeed, because they thought that when Varun's turn came, he would win the match with the jeweled arrow. Then the king would condemn him to the dungeon for life."

The lights come up on a Swanna target in the wings. "But just as Varun was about to shoot at the target, a Swanna flew on the ground between, so that it was impossible for him to aim." Brock continues as he takes his bow and nocks the glittering arrow. "The brothers, seeing the bird and anxious to shoot it for themselves, all began to clamor that they be allowed to shoot again. Nobody made any objection, and Varun stood aside, with the jeweled arrow still nocked, waiting to see what they would do, but feeling sure that he would be the one to kill the Swanna. One by one the brothers tried, but the majestic Pokemon remained untouched when a miko passing that way stepped forward and said to them..."

"That is no Pokemon, but a wizard who has taken that form to deceive you. If he is not killed before he takes his own form again, he will bring misery and ruin on the whole country." he intones in a mimic of Dawn for the miko.

As himself, he continues "When everyone heard what the miko said, there was great excitement and terror. But the miko went on..."

"Where is your youngest brother? He alone will be able to save your homes, your wives and your children from destruction." he intones as the miko.

Brock next aims at the Swanna target. "Then Varun came forward; and let the jeweled arrow fly."

With that, he fires his shot, making red paint spatter the point his shot hit. "It wounded but did not kill the Swanna, which flew off with the arrow still embedded in its bloodied feathers." Brock explains, gesturing to the "bloodied" target. "At the sight of the Swanna flying off with the precious jeweled arrow, the king was filled with rage and ordered Varun brought before him immediately. But Varun had already started to pursue the Swanna, guided by the blood on the ground."

He concludes "As Varun ran off, the brothers and Kirati were very much dismayed at the way things had turned out. Archana did send for them, and asked them many questions; but they all kept the secret of how Varun had gotten the arrow, and after six months the young prince and the jeweled arrow were forgotten."

He smiles. "But Varun's adventure was only beginning...I will tell you what that entailed next week!"

"Aw"s and applause fill the room as Brock takes a bow...

Week 306b: The Jeweled Arrow, part 2

Excited whispers fill the room as Brock arrives onstage carrying his harp. "Meanwhile, Varun traveled on and on, following the ruby trail of blood, till he came to the outskirts of a forest. Many beaten paths in it led to a great city. He sat down to rest at the foot of a wide-spreading tree, and was gazing up at the towers and pinnacles of the town, rising towards the sky, when he had a feeling that someone was coming. Sure enough, a lovely young girl came that way, singing a love ballad common to the area softly to herself.

With that, he starts a relaxed melody before singing in a mimic of Serena for the girl See the summer's light,
round with rays so bright
fading out of sight
melting into night

Hold me unto you
No one but you
No one but you
Hold me unto you
No one but you
No one but you

All the world is dear
when my love is near
Oh to linger here
Far from all I fear

Hold me unto you
No one but you
No one but you
Hold me unto you
No one but you
No one but you...

The Firelights join in as Brock continues his song in character. Love is like sailing by moonlight
Reading the stars, navigating by night
I know tomorrow I'll be closer to you
You are the one that I want
No one but you

See the morning light
round with rays so bright
waking from the night
brilliant is the sight

Hold me unto you
No one but you
No one but you
Hold me unto you
No one but you
No one but you....

Light applause fills the air at the song's end. "Her eyes were deep blue, and her beauty reminded Varun of his mother, whom he was beginning to fear he would never see again." Brock explains as he sets the harp aside. "When the young girl was close to him, he startled her by asking..."

"Can you tell me what the name of this city is?" he asks in a mimic of Ash for Varun.

"Of course, I can, for I live there." he smiles as the girl. "It is called Vandapur, and it belongs to my father. He is a wizard that and does not welcome strangers. Now, tell me who you are and where you come from."

As himself, Brock continues "Varun told the girl about himself, and why he was wandering so far from home. The girl, whose name was Jaya, listened attentively; and when he got to the part about shooting the Swanna, and how he had followed the bleeding bird in the hope of getting back his father's jeweled arrow, she began to tremble."

"Alas! That was my father. He can take any form he chooses. He returned home yesterday, and I drew the arrow from his wound and dressed the hurt myself. He gave me the jeweled arrow to keep, and I would like to keep it. As for you, the sooner you get out of here the better; for my father never forgives, and he is so powerful that you would have no chance of escape if he knew you were here." he shudders as Jaya.

He interjects as himself "Hearing this, Varun was saddened, for he already loved Jaya, and vowed to make her his first bride. She understood how he felt, for she had feelings for him too, and did not take long to decide what to do."

"I will give you back your arrow, and you must hurry out of our land before my father discovers you are here." he offers as Jaya

"No! Now that I have seen you, I can never leave you. Can you not learn to love me and be my bride?" he pleads as Varun.

He continues as himself "He looked into her face so lovingly that she could not resist him. She bent towards him, and the next moment they were in each other's arms."

"Aw"s fill the air as the audience pictures the touching scene. "Jaya was the first to remember her father, and drawing herself away from Varun, said to him..." Brock narrates before switching to his "Jaya" voice again. "Listen, and I will tell you what we must do. My father is a wizard, but I am his daughter, and I inherit some of his powers. If you will promise to do exactly as I tell you, I think I may be able to save you, and perhaps even become your bride. I am the youngest of a large family. I will go and tell him that a great and mighty prince has come to our land to ask for an audience with him. Then I will tell him that I have seen you, fallen in love with you, and want to marry you. He will then want to see you, even if he refuses to let me be your bride. If you really love me, you will find a way to win his blessing; but hide until I have prepared the way for you."

As himself, he concludes. "But Jaya's father was one step ahead of his daughter's plan...I will tell you what that entailed next week!"

Week 306c: The Jeweled Arrow, part 3

"Jaya then led Varun far away into the depths of the forest, and showed him a large tree." Brock explains as he arrives onstage, picking up from where he left off the previous week. "The wide-spreading branches touched the ground, completely hiding the trunk. There was an opening in the foliage, large enough for a person to pass through. Steps cut in the inside of the trunk led down to a wide space underground; and there Jaya told her sweetheart to wait till she came back."

"Before I go, I will tell you my own password, which will save you from death if you should be discovered. It is 'Sakura'; and everyone you say it to, will understand that you are under my protection." he instructs in character as Jaya.

He continues as himself "When Jaya reached the castle she found her father in a bad mood. When she had dressed the wound very carefully, she prepared a small meal for her father sitting with him while he ate it. All this pleased him, and he was much happier when she said to him..."

"Now I must tell you that I too have had an adventure." he explains as Jaya. "As I was gathering herbs in the forest, I met a man I had never seen before, a tall handsome young fellow looking like a prince, who told me he was seeking the castle of a great wizard he had heard of. Who could that wizard have been but you, father? He entreated me to ask you to grant him an audience."

He interjects as himself "The wizard, whose name was Aguni, listened to all this, but he suspected that Jaya had not told him the whole truth. He asked her..."

"And what did you answer?" he asks in a mimic of Flint for Aguni.

"I told him I would seek you and ask you to receive him. For I have seen the only man I will ever marry; and if you forbid me to do so, I will even die for him, for I cannot live without him." he replies as Jaya, proceeding to roleplay the conversation between Aguni and Jaya:

"Send for the man immediately."

"I cannot send, for no one knows where he is now; nor will I bring him until you promise that no evil will befall him."

"He will keep his head on his shoulders, and leave the castle alive; but that is all I will say."

"That is not enough. Promise me that not a hair of his head will be harmed, and I will treat him as an honored guest."

Some light applause goes up for Brock's mimicry skill. "At last Aguni promised, thinking to himself that he would find some way of getting rid of Varun if he did not fancy him for a son-in-law." Brock intones as himself. "The words she wanted to hear were hardly out of her father's mouth before Jaya sped away, as if on the wings of the wind, full of hope that all would be well. She found her sweetheart awaiting her, and quickly explained the situation."

"Do not say anything about me to my father at first, but only talk about him and all you have heard of him. If only you could get him to like you and want to keep you with him, it would help us very much. Then you could pretend that you must go back to your own land; and rather than allow you to do so, he will be anxious for us to be married and to live here with him." he instructs as Jaya.

He grins. "Varun loved Jaya so much that he was ready to obey her in everything. So he went with her to the castle. On every side he saw signs of the strength and power of the wizard. Each gate was guarded by tall soldiers in shining armor. They saluted Jaya but scowled fiercely at him. He knew full well that if he had tried to pass alone, they would have prevented him from getting into the castle. At last the two came to the great hall, where the great wizard was pacing the floor, angry at being kept waiting."

"Ooh" go up as Brock continues "The moment he set eyes on the prince he knew he was the man who had shot the jeweled arrow at him when he had taken the form of a Swanna, and he decided to take revenge. He was too cunning to let Varun guess that he knew him, and pretended to be very glad to see him. He even went so far as to say that he had long wished to find a prince worthy to wed his youngest and favorite daughter."

"You seem to me the very man, young, handsome and quite able to give my darling daughter all she needs." he smiles as Aguni. "I only make one condition: you must promise that you will never disobey my commands, but do whatever I tell you without a moment's hesitation."

"Only give me your daughter and I will serve you in any way you wish." he replies as Varun.

"That's settled, then!" he smiles as Aguni.

"In a moment a number of attendants appeared, and their master ordered them to lead the prince to the best apartments in the castle, to prepare a bath for him, and do everything he asked them." Brock continues as himself. "As Varun followed the servants, Jaya managed to whisper to him..."

"Be on your guard--expect a message from me!" he nearly whispers as Jaya.

As himself, Brock continues "When he had had a bath, and was getting dressed in the fine clothes provided by his host, a messenger arrived with a sealed letter which he respectfully handed to the prince. Varun immediately guessed who it came from; and anxious to read it, dismissed the attendants."

He produces a piece of blank paper from a pocket. "The letter went like this..." he explains as he unfolds the paper and reads the imagined message on it in character as Jaya. "My beloved, my father is plotting against you. I have eleven sisters all exactly like me, all wearing dresses and necklaces which are exact copies of each other, so that few can tell me from the others, Soon you will be summoned to the great hall, and we will all be together there. My father will bid you choose your bride from among us; and if you make a mistake all will be over for us. But I will wear my necklace around my arm instead of around my neck, and this way you will know your true love. Remember to obey no future command without hearing from me, for only I can outwit my terrible father."

Love,
Jaya"

Brock folds up the paper. "But this was only Varun's first challenge...I will tell you what other challenges he endured next week!"

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom