• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

alexjuuhh said:
Made a list of all the new abilities with English names. They're from Japanese to English. I just couldn't fit all the English names with the Japanese ones, so maybe you guys know what could be what?

Here's what I got (just guessing, but I'm fairly sure of these):

Analyze = Analytic
Antagonist = Defiant
Bad Habit =
Big Pecks = Big Pecks
Broken Armor = Weak Armor
Competitiveness =
Cursed Body =
Daruma Mode = Zen Mode
Eccentric = Moody
Friend Guard = Friend Guard
Harvest = Harvest
Healer = Healer
Heavy Metal = Heavy Metal
Sap Sipper = Sap Sipper
Illusion = Illusion
Iron Thorns = Iron Barbs
Jitter = Rattled
Light Metal = Light Metal
Magic Mirror = Magic Bounce
Miracle Skin = Wonder Skin
Moxie = Moxie
Multiscale = Multiscale
Mummy = Mummy
Overcoat = Overcoat
Overload = Flare Boost
Poison Rampage = Toxic Boost
Regenerator = Regenerator
Righteous Heart = Justified
Sand Force = Sand Force
Sand Rush = Sand Rush
Sheer Force = Sheer Force
Slip Through = Infiltrator
Sudden Impulse =
Teasing Heart = Prankster
Telepathy = Telepathy
Unnerve = Unnerve
Teravolt = Teravolt
Timid = Defeatist
Turboblaze = Turboblaze
Underhanded =
Victory Star = Victory Star

Now I'm pretty sure I used all the names you listed, so you're missing five abilities from your list. Wait, no, four. You have "Impostor", but I have no idea what the hell that's supposed to be. The ones that are missing are Bad Habit, Competitiveness, Cursed Body, Sudden Impulse, and Underhanded, and Impostor doesn't fit any of those. I'd look over the list again to see which ones you missed (at any rate, Impostor is lame no matter what it ends up being, seeing as how it doesn't fit with ANYTHING...)

For some reason, I think that the male main character's name might be "Tyson"

^Judging by the fact that they're still called Touya and Touko on Bulbapedia, I'd say not yet. Either that or they just haven't gotten around to changing it yet due to the huge task of converting the pages to the English names.
EDIT: In reference to Yabukuron.

^Judging by the fact that they're still called Touya and Touko on Bulbapedia, I'd say not yet. Either that or they just haven't gotten around to changing it yet due to the huge task of converting the pages to the English names.
EDIT: In reference to Yabukuron.

Well yeah. They're called Shiro and Kuro of all things on the official site so...I'm just going to wait until someone gets to the battle subway match with them.

^The official site tends to use placeholder names (i.e. Plato for Platinum Lucas, Soul for Ethan, etc.). Guess we'll have to wait and see.

It's weird. I mean, when I played the demo at the Celebi event, they were Blair and Whitlea; but them having different names on the official website is weird.

^The official site tends to use placeholder names (i.e. Plato for Platinum Lucas, Soul for Ethan, etc.). Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Yeah, I know. But I think it's kind of cool they're using Japanese words for Black and White as placeholders nontheless
It's weird. I mean, when I played the demo at the Celebi event, they were Blair and Whitlea; but them having different names on the official website is weird.

The names for Touya and Touko in the JP Demo were just some other names meaning Black and White as well, so no, Blair and Whitlea aren't the official in-universe names

Is the Battle Subway open right away once you get to the city? I got my copy of White earlier today, so I'll be able to check by the end of the day for at least Touya's name since I just got to Castelia. I've been dying to know his real name, too.

^It should be. Most people just don't go there immediately because they want to beat the game first.

Also, I could be wrong, but wasn't it in Nimbasa?
EDIT: Oh, you said by the end of the day, so you know. Never mind.

Last edited:
You can find Touya/Touko depending on the gender if you do the co-op battle mode(not wireless).

If you could post a screenshot additionally, that would be pretty great for Bulbapedia purposes.

Alright, I'll hurry on through once I finish my short homework then take a shower. I won't be able to take a direct screenshot, but I'll try to take a picture. It'll do until the actual launch and someone's able to get a better quality image.

I'm surprised that Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon have different names in German; considering how the pun is to do with German words. At least, I would have predicted:

Deino (Pun still works)
Zweifer (Zwei + Eifersüchtig [German for Jealous])
Hydreichen (Hydra + Drei + Drachen [German for Dragon])

At least they kept the counting of the heads (Kapuno, Duodino and Trikephalo). I know "Uno" is Spanish, but Duo and Tri?

Yeah, I know. But I think it's kind of cool they're using Japanese words for Black and White as placeholders nontheless
The copy of the finished White I played at the UK mall tour had the main character named Shiro, I didn't think anything of it then though.

Belated response, but I agree with the placeholder names being cool. A nice change of pace from just slapping the main version's name on the guy and the second version on the girl (vice versa for HG/SS?).

I'm surprised that Deino, Zweilous and Hydreigon have different names in German; considering how the pun is to do with German words. At least, I would have predicted:

Deino (Pun still works)
Zweifer (Zwei + Eifersüchtig [German for Jealous])
Hydreichen (Hydra + Drei + Drachen [German for Dragon])

At least they kept the counting of the heads (Kapuno, Duodino and Trikephalo). I know "Uno" is Spanish, but Duo and Tri?

While I like the English names of the line its name-pun would be way too bland for German tastes. Nintendo usually uses obscure words or latin-based puns for many,many Pokémon, hell, even Zelda, Kirby or Mario characters.

But I am pretty happy with the German names. Especially the icebears and the starters.

the gymleaders make me happy as well:
1. Benny (Dento), Maik (Poddo) & Colin (Kon)
2. Aloe (Aloe)
3. Artie (Ati)
4. Kamilla (Kamitsure)
5. Turner (Yacon)
6. Géraldine (Fuuro)
7. Sandro (Hachiku)
8. Lilia (Iris) & Lysander (Shaga)

Iris is a total letdown, but Artie and Kamilla are decent surprises. Even the E4 member Shikimiu became Anissa which is more or less a direct translation.

Vegichita for Yanakkie reminds me of Vegeta for some reasons...
Fasasnob for Unfezant gives it a lot of character from its name alone ^^
Siberio is also much better than Beartic and Schnuthelm is just way too funny...but not really translateable.

It is strange that the weather trio got all a name change...meh

Last edited:
Looking over PokéWiki's move list, I found one of the most saddening name changes to be Afro Break -> Head Charge. Couldn't they have kept the Afro part and name it Afro Charge instead? :-(

I also noticed that Reshiram and Zekrom's signature moves were renamed to no longer include the politically incorrect word "Cross". They're now, respectively, Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt.

Then we have Psycho Shock -> Psyshock and Psycho Break -> Psystrike, both of which reek of Character Limit Syndrome, even though both of their original names would have fit within the English versions' character limit. Plus, NOA was fine with leaving the word Psycho as-is for moves like Psycho Shift, Psycho Boost and Psycho Cut, so why did TPCi have to go back to shortening it to Psy? -_-

Also, I'm jealous of the Germans that their version kept Voltolos's original name while the English version is stuck with Thundurus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom