• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Looking over PokéWiki's move list, I found one of the most saddening name changes to be Afro Break -> Head Charge. Couldn't they have kept the Afro part and name it Afro Charge instead? :-(

I also noticed that Reshiram and Zekrom's signature moves were renamed to no longer include the politically incorrect word "Cross". They're now, respectively, Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt.

I still get why it is problematic in this day and age to keep the "Cross" in the name. At least the German names keep the "Cross/Kreuz". Too bad that the awesome Afro Break didn't keep its Afro-theme in Germany either :/

Hoo boy, I absolutely LOVE the French name for Seismitoad.

"Crapustule"

*immature giggle*

But don't they have a move called Cross Chop? I understand political correctness, but that's a little inconsistent. Maybe they think it sounds "cooler" or something.

See also: Cross Poison. Kind of dents the "political correctness" argument.

Aren't cross and fusion slightly synonymous with each other? Especially in this case? Since the attacks double in strength when they are used at the same time, essentially fusing them together? It makes sense so I'm okay with it.

Hoo boy, I absolutely LOVE the French name for Seismitoad.

"Crapustule"

*immature giggle*

I know there has to be a French pun...but...this can't be a coincidence...

And I thought Gen 5 introduced a language filter :p

I wonder if perhaps it's because English speakers don't really associate the word "cross" with fusion like Japan appears to do? I mean, I get the idea of them "crossing to fuse", but it's not really that common to say.

Cross Chop and Cross Poison use "cross" in the way English speakers often use it, to mean an x-shape basically, whereas the Cross moves of the dragons was referencing the fact they fuse.

Atleast, uh, that's how I sort of see it if anything I said makes sense. :()

Wait, so the "Cross" in Reshiram's and Zekrom's signature attacks meant fusing and not the x shape? Guess the name change was to make the meaning clearer.

Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt are awesome, i always thought it was Coss as in to the Fusion sense of the word, i'm glad i was right!

To be fair, it does crap a stool.
Must be handy when it needs to rest them pustule-ridden feet....

And speaking of amusing names, as mind-bogglingly pointless a change as it is...I can't not like the very punny 'Night Daze'.

fusion flare and fusion bolt? That actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

I'm curious how Swoobat's dex turns out, considering it's currently the masturbation bat.

ToddCam: Everything, or just Pokemon? There are a few human characters left, such as the player characters themselves.

Checking Bulbapedia, it seems some Pokemon are still not official yet too, like Sazandora.

I was asking about the Pokémon names. Some statements on this thread implied it.

Back
Top Bottom