• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Uh

Just curious, but:

The 'pedia's article for Route 7 (and probably others, I haven't checked) list some characters as having Japanese names where their dub name would go. (For example, Ace Trainer Yuichi is still Yuichi in the English version)

Does that mean they kept their names or did nobody record them?

There isn't a macron-u character in-game, so no one has recorded it.

In another news, a few people in a house in Nimbasa City refer to shiny Pokémon as... Shiny Pokémon. So that's not a fan term anymore, it's official.

In another news, a few people in a house in Nimbasa City refer to shiny Pokémon as... Shiny Pokémon. So that's not a fan term anymore, it's official.
been official for a while now

You're complaining that the names are too uncreative and that the things they reference are too obscure? Are those two positions really compatible? Surely the inclusion of obscure references, rather than going with the obvious, suggests a certain amount of thought has gone into these names.
That's not what I was arguing, nor was that even my point. But I'm not going to make a big deal about it, but I'll say it was primarily only to the comment "People don't know how to research properly." And I find it rather insulting, that because of my lack of knowledge the reason why I can't research properly, it comes off as pretty much saying I'm stupid.

Well excuse me for never hearing Vesta the Roman Goddess ever, and not being able to put in "esta" into google search and have it pop up on the first few pages (if at all). I had assumed the V was for Larva, which is why I didn't think it was related to "esta" because it's not very often when a specific letter "especially V of all letters" could relate to the two or more words responsible for the combination of a Pokemon's name.

I really can't be held responsible for that if I have no idea where to begin. And especially if the name revolves around a proper name. The only way I would've remotely found out about "Vesta" is by pure luck, that I just thought "Oh what the hell why not put 'vesta' instead of 'esta' which during my state of mind at the time would've been near impossible.

For example look at Keldeo, clearly the "Kel" comes from "Kelpie" that mythological water horse. I haven't figured out "-deo" come from but my guess (while a huge stretch) is "rodeo" since that's really the only word that comes to mind that has "-deo" in it. Why Rodeo? A huge stretch of implication to its fighting type.

I really think some of you underestimate the Pokemon fandom. It's comprised of many people with probably a large coverage of interests. Hell I won't be surprised if there's someone with a physics PHd that likes Pokemon. So to assume one person (me) should have the knowledge that (you) have is pretty much too big of an expectation. I cannot know everything all by myself. Nor should I be expected to know how to find information when I don't even know where I begin.

Most of my huge opinion, dealt with what I knew, when I had no choice, I cheated and looked on Bulbapedia (if the name was localized), or in one case "Big the Budo's" list. I was trying to do the whole name guess all from what I knew, and what I could figure. Surely only one person doing this, would result in a few failures?

Well that was longer than I meant.

It's amazing that you could have written 5.5x the limit without having done extensive research on the name origins. All that says to me is that your complaining for the sake of complaining.
That's a pretty insulting assumption. I said ALL Of the 5th gen Pokemon not just a few. Not to mention I also did my opinion of the Pokemon iteslf. NOT to fucking mention I was pretty damn neutral on the names. EVEN fucking Deerling despite what you may think I implied here.

Really, unless you're going over every single name and repeating yourself multiple times, there's absolutely no reason it should be 5.5 times the limit, especially since you've only been giving the one argument of "young animal suffix". Unless you're devoting one long paragraph to each name and reiterating the same argument over and over and over again....

Again pretty damn insulting when you don't even know what I wrote. Well apparently I was right in my assumption, you don't know a damn thing about me. Where are the people from the anime forums that can contest I have the ability to write a lot?

Though, how did he hit the limit?
All 156 Pokemon each with a fairly long paragraph per section, of Opinion of the English name, and opinion of the Pokemon itself. Some are longer than others as well.

Not just Deerling, and the rest animal baby suffix names like Outrage seems to have inferred....... as if I would ever have that ability to freaking write that much about of an opinion of only 5 Pokemon or 6, or however many Pokemon that fits the "animal baby suffix theme"

Outrage said:
...Here's a suggestion, format your blog like this: "Worst English names Part 1: Young-animal suffix" and just split the blogs up by broad arguments.

Why would I separate the Pokemon, what purpose would I do that. If I was going to split it up, I'd make sure they were in order well (relatively speaking of course), it seems rather pointless to split it off into sections.

Anyone notice the obscene number of non-related Pokemon sharing suffixes?

Timburr and Drilbur
Vanillish and Frillish
Ducklett, Rufflet and Golett
Karrablast and Carracosta
Lillipup and Lilligant
Joltik and Beartic
Druddigon and Hydreigon (okay, ALL dragon suffer from that one :p)

I hear that in the Japanese version, they officially named EVs as "Base Points", so I'm interested in hearing what terms the English version finally gives them in-game.

Uh

Just curious, but:

The 'pedia's article for Route 7 (and probably others, I haven't checked) list some characters as having Japanese names where their dub name would go. (For example, Ace Trainer Yuichi is still Yuichi in the English version)

Does that mean they kept their names or did nobody record them?
According to the guide, the only Ace Trainer on Route 7 is named... Elmer. It has a full list of trainers in the order they're encountered in an appendix too.
I hear that in the Japanese version, they officially named EVs as "Base Points", so I'm interested in hearing what terms the English version finally gives them in-game.
Also in the guide, in a notice about the Wings on page 29, it says, "Wings raise Pokémon's base stats."

Last edited:
The vitamins (HP Up, Protein, Iron, etc.) have been using the name "base [stat]" since Generation IV, IIRC. Calling something that is stacked upon your basic stat value "base stat" is not the most logical thing in my opinion, though.

So apparently Touya's English name has been confirmed to be 'Hilbert' while Touko's English name has been confirmed to be 'Hilda'. FUCK NINTENDO OF AMERICA, THEY'VE FUCKED UP SOOOOOOO MANY GENERATION V NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! INB4 'U MAD?' OF COURSE I'M MAD, THIS IS THE BIGGEST CROCK OF SHIT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE TOUKO AND I THINK SHE'S FUCK HOT AND FUCK AWESOME AND SHE DOESN'T DESERVE SUCH A SHITTY ENGLISH NAME!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE HELP ME ASSASSINATE THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE SHITTY ENGLISH GENERATION V NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Re: English names

Blake. See what I did there.

Also, Gurdurr, Haxorus, Golurk <3? Fraxure is amazing, though.

Oooooh, clever name.

Yeah, 'cause pokemon names have never been retarded before *cough* seel.

And how could the Japanese names sound better if they're in another language?

xDDD, Seel, xDDDD

Reunite + Nucleus because the Pokémon line is based off of cells.

Why is it a Psychic-type?? Someone please explain...

Oh wow. Just... wow. It's Generation I all over again. I can imagine how the brainstorming session went on this one:

To which someone else replied:

And then a third person said:

Seriously, they have to realize that even though the games are designed for kids, who are easily amused, the kids that started playing in Generation I are still here. And they have extremely low tolerance for bullshit like this. Now, I know a lot of you seem to think people like me are overreacting, but seriously, have you seen some of these names:

Servine - Um, no. Just no.
Serperior - Rhyperior? Who's Rhyperior? Now you're just making shit up.
Pignite - One the one hand, anyone with half a brain could have thought of it. On the other, Nintendo's localization team don't appear to have a tenth of a brain among them. Obviously stolen from the fandom.
Emboar - See Pignite.
Dewott - Meh. Makes me think of "Doo-Wop". Which makes me think of Wayne Brady on Whose Line. So it gets points for that I guess.
Samurott - I don't like that it ends in "rot", but it's sorta catchy.
Patrat - Oh, it's the new Rattata. Except it's not a rat. Also, "patrol" (that's what it's from right?) isn't pronounced "PAT-rohl". If you have to mispronounce it for it to be catchy, it sucks.
Watchog - I hope we're supposed to pronounce the "h". WAHCH-awg sounds awkward.
Lillipup - No.
Herdier - No.
Stoutland - Meh.
Purrloin - Wait, a name that's actually clever? Obviously stolen from someone. (ucwatididthar?)
Liepard - And just like that, we're back in the crap.
Simisage - Saw it coming a mile away. Meh.M
Simisear - See Simisage.
Simipour - Okay, the word "pour" isn't working guys. Panpour was crap, and so is this.
Musharna - Also saw this coming. Not as catchy as Munna, but better than anything the localization team could come up with.
Tranquill - Lame pun couldn't be lamer.
Unfezant - Whoops, spoke too soon.
Zebstrika - One letter makes all the difference people. You'll always be Zebrika to me.
Roggenrola - What is this I don't even?
Boldore - I hate names that use two words for the same aspect of a Pokémon (boulder = rock, ore = rock), but... it's a rock. Not a lot they could do with that one, I guess.
Woobat - When you're combining words in a name, you have to blend them. Sticking the whole words side by side is not creative and sounds like crap. If they always did that, we'd have names like Bulbdinosaur and Unpleasantpheasant and OshawaOhsawaOceanWaterOtterWhateverOtherPunsAreInThisStupidThingsName (seriously, Miju is the Cadillac of punny Pokémon names, except that Cadillacs aren't crap). Also, You already did that.
Swoobat - Adding one letter to an already uncreative name doesn't make it a whole lot better, guys.
Drillbur - Not sure what the "bur" part is from, but it doesn't suck, so I'm not even going to ask.
Excadrill - So it excavates. With drills. No mention of moles? "Excavole" would've been awesome. But no. You can't let us have nice things, can you Nintendo?
Audino - Another one I can't figure out half of. It sucks regardless.
Timburr - Not sure what the "burr" part is from, but it sucks, so I'm not even going to ask.
Gurdurr - This... explains a lot.
Conkeldurr - GTFO.
Tympole - Meh.
Palpitoad - Oh, another great name. I really hope this doesn't go the same route as Purrloin...
Seismitoad - ...AAAAAND I Jynx'd it. Well, not as bad as Liepard, I guess. I'll get used to it.
Throh - I believe it was Shakespeare who once said, "All the world's a stage, and YOU'RE CRAP!" (cookie if you get the reference) Somehow, this is over 9000 times worse than Seel. Misspelling words to incorporate a pun is bad enough, but at least it's creative. Misspelling words because you suck at naming things isn't creative; it just shows how much you suck at naming things.
Sawk - As Julius Caesar once said, "Et tu, CRAPE?" (seriously, I've got a million of these) Maybe you meant "sock", as in "I'm going to sock you in the face"? Newsflash - "sock" does not rhyme with "hawk". Not in any accent I've ever heard anyway.
Sewaddle - Doesn't sound so much like "swaddle" as it does like "so waddle". Fail.
Swadloon - Swaddle is a stupid word. Stop using it.
Leavanny - Crap. I have nothing more to say.
Venipede - Ventipede would've sounded way better. One freaking letter, people. Although as this is one of the better names on the list, I should just be thanful they didn't call it Sentypied.
Whirlipede - Meh.
Scolipede - Pendra was better.
Cottonee - Stop. Just please, stop.
Whimsicott - A crap name turns into an awesome name? Well this is new. Probably shouldn't get used to it though.
Petilil - Lame.
Lilligant - Okay, not as cool as Whimsicott, but still pretty cool.
Basculin - Okay, three good names in a row? Murphy's law says the next final form has a shit name.
Krokorok - I stand by my prediction.
Krookodile - Well, how 'bout that. Maybe the worst is over?
Darumaka - Never was a fan of that name, but it evolves into Darmanitan. I don't want to get my hopes up, but we're on a roll here...
Maractus - Another name they probably stole from the fandom. Which in this case is not remotely a bad thing.
Dwebble - Come on, we had six in a row, don't ruin this...
Crustle - C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
Scraggy - I'm never using this thing, so I don't really care what it's called.
Scrafty - See Scraggy.
Sigilyph - Fuck yeah Sigilyph.
Yamask - Not fully evolved so it doesn't count. For the record, crap.
Cofagrigus - Once you get past the "fag" thing (not that there's anything wrong with that), pretty awesome name for a pretty awesome Pokémon.
Tirtouga - Lame.
Carracosta - Lame.
Archen - Lame.
Archeops - Not remotely creative, but it sounds good, so I'm not complaining.
Trubbish - Not bad. Also pretty much sums up the majority of this list.
Garbodor - Another one you have to mispronounce to make it sound cool.
Cinccino - Meh.
Gothita - Lame.
Gothorita - Oh, you added two letters, that makes it better.
Gothitelle - Another Japanese name ruined for no reason whatsoever.
Solosis - No.
Duosion - Double no.
Reuniclus - See Gothitelle.
Ducklett - When this is one of the best names on the list, you know something's wrong.
Swanna - Crap.
Vanillite - No.
Vanillish - NO!
Vanilluxe - NO! NO! NO!
Deerling - Okay, I guess.
Sawsbuck - Here's how this probably went:

Emolga - They keep Archen, and change this. To something that no longer makes sense. Whatever.
Karrablast - 10-year olds don't know what "Carabidae" is. Especially when you misspell it. They do, however, know what a "Scarab" is, which is pretty close. Also, the word "blast" has nothing to do with this Pokémon. In any way. Whatsoever.
Escavalier - Thank you. Thank you God.
Foongus + Amoonguss - Yes.
Frillish - Lame.
Jellicent - Less lame.
Alomomola - Mamambo, retards. Its Japanese name is already fucking English. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Joltik - I approve of this.
Galvantula - Now we're talking.
Ferroseed - Cool.
Ferrothorn - This too.
Klang, Klinklang - Predictable. Also, lame.
Tynamo - Cool.
Eelektrik - A little too close to Electrike. Also, stop misspelling shit.
Eelektross - Meh.
Elgyem - Okay name for a crap Pokémon.
Beheeyem - Less okay name for an equally crap Pokémon.
Litwick - Redundant but catchy.
Lampent - Lame.
Chandelure - Awesome.
Axew - It has "ew" right in the name. It's trying to tell us something.
Fraxure - Ah, the old misspelling words to make a pun shtick. Never gets old. Oh wait...
Haxorus - This name is full of win. That is all.
Cubchoo - Gesundheit. Also, GTFO.
Beartic - If you say it quickly, it sounds like "bear dick". You're welcome.
Cryogonal - Cool.
Shelmet - Simple, obvious, yet it doesn't suck. It's that easy, people. Why can't you do this for ALL of them?
Accelgor - And just like that, crap.
Stunfisk - Sounds like a Stunky-Luvdisc hybrid. Again, you're welcome.
Mienfoo - Your what now?
Mienshao - Stop ruining my favorite Pokémon. Seriously.
Druddigon - No.
Golett - If you're going to use the word "Golem", which is already the name of a Pokémon, at least make it more than one letter different.
Golurk - WTF?
Pawniard - Sweet.
Bisharp - Less sweet, but still not bad.
Bouffalant - You know what, I'm not even going to bother explaining why they suck anymore. Just no.
Rufflet - No.
Braviary - Yes. Very yes.
Vullaby - Nice.
Mandibuzz - Never mind.
Heatmor - No.
Durant - No.
Deino - No.
Zweilous - No.
Hydreigon - No.
Larvesta - Okay.
Volcarona - Pretty cool.
Cobalion - Stop adding letters. Now it sounds fucking retarded.
Terrakion - You maybe should have taken away a letter here actually.
Virizion - Should have been Viridion man.
Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus - Why. Seriously, why?
Kyurem - What else would it be?

Also, Free Fall -> Sky Drop is a major fail. Also Fennel. Seriously, what the hell?

/rant

On the plus side, aside from the horrid names and the few terrible designs, everything else about these games are awesome. And I will definitely be using Zebstrika, Excadrill, and Mienshao on my team, with kick-awesome nicknames of course. Why isn't it March yet?

I see you're not a fan of most of the Gen V names... But Im completely with you on the Free Fall->Sky Drop change. :(

Bitch please?
I mean seriously, you hate like, 95% of the names. I bet that in March everyone will like the names, just like how we got used to Japanese one. I for a change, LIKE 95% of the names. And I dont think they're unoriginal or lame. Especially for KlingKlang. I think that one is pretty original. It sure is better then KlingKlingKling.

I don't know, but I like Kilnklang's moveset. It can learn Electirc-type moves!

yeah but the point was that the line uses phrases which mean "one, two, three" in the names, similar to how Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres did.

Trio has come to mean something very specific in Pokemon (legendary/elemental trios) but trio really just means three, a three-stage Pokemon could just as well be called a trio

I never really thought about it, but the Legendary bird trio has 3 of the cleverest names in the whole series. But maybe I'm biased because because they're half in Spanish... =)

lol

someone's getting sued *whistling*

the guy who accidentaly leaked those new infos

I wish this guy all the luck he can get when he's in court. Just playing lols! :XD2:

From what I remember, a "Mong" is just an ugly person in general.

I doubt that was the reason though, consiering Cofagrigus.

Well, I'm British, and live in England xD. I've only heard the term "Mong" being used when talking about someone who is generally unattractive, like "She's a mong." is interchangable with "She's a minger". Never heard it in the context of Downs Syndrome.

I've never heard the word used in that context either. Maybe its a specific region?

^So now we have a theory on why they messed with Emonga's name; BTW, Wiktionary lists mong as a Shortened version of Mongoloid, a person with Down's syndrome.

On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't like the name Opelucid City?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom