• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

Is it wrong that I wish that it would be a requirement for the people making the English names to take a linguistics course and learn what types of things are easier to roll off the tongue.

I mean, Zebstraika seems like a word, that over the years would have the "st" dropped in pronunciation because it's just to cumbersome.

And Axew is supposed to be Axe + saw? How are we supposed to pronounce it, the way its spelled makes it seem like Ax-ew, though it may be Ax-aw.

Some really dumb names, some really good names.

Axew is Axe and Chew, it refers to the tusks.

Axew is Axe and Chew, it refers to the tusks.

Well, that makes more sense, still a bad pronunciation though.

Also, Serperior is cool, figures Smugleaf thinks of itself as such.

Last edited:

Oh wow. Just... wow. It's Generation I all over again. I can imagine how the brainstorming session went on this one:

To which someone else replied:

And then a third person said:

Seriously, they have to realize that even though the games are designed for kids, who are easily amused, the kids that started playing in Generation I are still here. And they have extremely low tolerance for bullshit like this. Now, I know a lot of you seem to think people like me are overreacting, but seriously, have you seen some of these names:

Servine - Um, no. Just no.
Serperior - Rhyperior? Who's Rhyperior? Now you're just making shit up.
Pignite - One the one hand, anyone with half a brain could have thought of it. On the other, Nintendo's localization team don't appear to have a tenth of a brain among them. Obviously stolen from the fandom.
Emboar - See Pignite.
Dewott - Meh. Makes me think of "Doo-Wop". Which makes me think of Wayne Brady on Whose Line. So it gets points for that I guess.
Samurott - I don't like that it ends in "rot", but it's sorta catchy.
Patrat - Oh, it's the new Rattata. Except it's not a rat. Also, "patrol" (that's what it's from right?) isn't pronounced "PAT-rohl". If you have to mispronounce it for it to be catchy, it sucks.
Watchog - I hope we're supposed to pronounce the "h". WAHCH-awg sounds awkward.
Lillipup - No.
Herdier - No.
Stoutland - Meh.
Purrloin - Wait, a name that's actually clever? Obviously stolen from someone. (ucwatididthar?)
Liepard - And just like that, we're back in the crap.
Simisage - Saw it coming a mile away. Meh.M
Simisear - See Simisage.
Simipour - Okay, the word "pour" isn't working guys. Panpour was crap, and so is this.
Musharna - Also saw this coming. Not as catchy as Munna, but better than anything the localization team could come up with.
Tranquill - Lame pun couldn't be lamer.
Unfezant - Whoops, spoke too soon.
Zebstrika - One letter makes all the difference people. You'll always be Zebrika to me.
Roggenrola - What is this I don't even?
Boldore - I hate names that use two words for the same aspect of a Pokémon (boulder = rock, ore = rock), but... it's a rock. Not a lot they could do with that one, I guess.
Woobat - When you're combining words in a name, you have to blend them. Sticking the whole words side by side is not creative and sounds like crap. If they always did that, we'd have names like Bulbdinosaur and Unpleasantpheasant and OshawaOhsawaOceanWaterOtterWhateverOtherPunsAreInThisStupidThingsName (seriously, Miju is the Cadillac of punny Pokémon names, except that Cadillacs aren't crap). Also, You already did that.
Swoobat - Adding one letter to an already uncreative name doesn't make it a whole lot better, guys.
Drillbur - Not sure what the "bur" part is from, but it doesn't suck, so I'm not even going to ask.
Excadrill - So it excavates. With drills. No mention of moles? "Excavole" would've been awesome. But no. You can't let us have nice things, can you Nintendo?
Audino - Another one I can't figure out half of. It sucks regardless.
Timburr - Not sure what the "burr" part is from, but it sucks, so I'm not even going to ask.
Gurdurr - This... explains a lot.
Conkeldurr - GTFO.
Tympole - Meh.
Palpitoad - Oh, another great name. I really hope this doesn't go the same route as Purrloin...
Seismitoad - ...AAAAAND I Jynx'd it. Well, not as bad as Liepard, I guess. I'll get used to it.
Throh - I believe it was Shakespeare who once said, "All the world's a stage, and YOU'RE CRAP!" (cookie if you get the reference) Somehow, this is over 9000 times worse than Seel. Misspelling words to incorporate a pun is bad enough, but at least it's creative. Misspelling words because you suck at naming things isn't creative; it just shows how much you suck at naming things.
Sawk - As Julius Caesar once said, "Et tu, CRAPE?" (seriously, I've got a million of these) Maybe you meant "sock", as in "I'm going to sock you in the face"? Newsflash - "sock" does not rhyme with "hawk". Not in any accent I've ever heard anyway.
Sewaddle - Doesn't sound so much like "swaddle" as it does like "so waddle". Fail.
Swadloon - Swaddle is a stupid word. Stop using it.
Leavanny - Crap. I have nothing more to say.
Venipede - Ventipede would've sounded way better. One freaking letter, people. Although as this is one of the better names on the list, I should just be thanful they didn't call it Sentypied.
Whirlipede - Meh.
Scolipede - Pendra was better.
Cottonee - Stop. Just please, stop.
Whimsicott - A crap name turns into an awesome name? Well this is new. Probably shouldn't get used to it though.
Petilil - Lame.
Lilligant - Okay, not as cool as Whimsicott, but still pretty cool.
Basculin - Okay, three good names in a row? Murphy's law says the next final form has a shit name.
Krokorok - I stand by my prediction.
Krookodile - Well, how 'bout that. Maybe the worst is over?
Darumaka - Never was a fan of that name, but it evolves into Darmanitan. I don't want to get my hopes up, but we're on a roll here...
Maractus - Another name they probably stole from the fandom. Which in this case is not remotely a bad thing.
Dwebble - Come on, we had six in a row, don't ruin this...
Crustle - C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
Scraggy - I'm never using this thing, so I don't really care what it's called.
Scrafty - See Scraggy.
Sigilyph - Fuck yeah Sigilyph.
Yamask - Not fully evolved so it doesn't count. For the record, crap.
Cofagrigus - Once you get past the "fag" thing (not that there's anything wrong with that), pretty awesome name for a pretty awesome Pokémon.
Tirtouga - Lame.
Carracosta - Lame.
Archen - Lame.
Archeops - Not remotely creative, but it sounds good, so I'm not complaining.
Trubbish - Not bad. Also pretty much sums up the majority of this list.
Garbodor - Another one you have to mispronounce to make it sound cool.
Cinccino - Meh.
Gothita - Lame.
Gothorita - Oh, you added two letters, that makes it better.
Gothitelle - Another Japanese name ruined for no reason whatsoever.
Solosis - No.
Duosion - Double no.
Reuniclus - See Gothitelle.
Ducklett - When this is one of the best names on the list, you know something's wrong.
Swanna - Crap.
Vanillite - No.
Vanillish - NO!
Vanilluxe - NO! NO! NO!
Deerling - Okay, I guess.
Sawsbuck - Here's how this probably went:

Emolga - They keep Archen, and change this. To something that no longer makes sense. Whatever.
Karrablast - 10-year olds don't know what "Carabidae" is. Especially when you misspell it. They do, however, know what a "Scarab" is, which is pretty close. Also, the word "blast" has nothing to do with this Pokémon. In any way. Whatsoever.
Escavalier - Thank you. Thank you God.
Foongus + Amoonguss - Yes.
Frillish - Lame.
Jellicent - Less lame.
Alomomola - Mamambo, retards. Its Japanese name is already fucking English. Don't fix what isn't broken.
Joltik - I approve of this.
Galvantula - Now we're talking.
Ferroseed - Cool.
Ferrothorn - This too.
Klang, Klinklang - Predictable. Also, lame.
Tynamo - Cool.
Eelektrik - A little too close to Electrike. Also, stop misspelling shit.
Eelektross - Meh.
Elgyem - Okay name for a crap Pokémon.
Beheeyem - Less okay name for an equally crap Pokémon.
Litwick - Redundant but catchy.
Lampent - Lame.
Chandelure - Awesome.
Axew - It has "ew" right in the name. It's trying to tell us something.
Fraxure - Ah, the old misspelling words to make a pun shtick. Never gets old. Oh wait...
Haxorus - This name is full of win. That is all.
Cubchoo - Gesundheit. Also, GTFO.
Beartic - If you say it quickly, it sounds like "bear dick". You're welcome.
Cryogonal - Cool.
Shelmet - Simple, obvious, yet it doesn't suck. It's that easy, people. Why can't you do this for ALL of them?
Accelgor - And just like that, crap.
Stunfisk - Sounds like a Stunky-Luvdisc hybrid. Again, you're welcome.
Mienfoo - Your what now?
Mienshao - Stop ruining my favorite Pokémon. Seriously.
Druddigon - No.
Golett - If you're going to use the word "Golem", which is already the name of a Pokémon, at least make it more than one letter different.
Golurk - WTF?
Pawniard - Sweet.
Bisharp - Less sweet, but still not bad.
Bouffalant - You know what, I'm not even going to bother explaining why they suck anymore. Just no.
Rufflet - No.
Braviary - Yes. Very yes.
Vullaby - Nice.
Mandibuzz - Never mind.
Heatmor - No.
Durant - No.
Deino - No.
Zweilous - No.
Hydreigon - No.
Larvesta - Okay.
Volcarona - Pretty cool.
Cobalion - Stop adding letters. Now it sounds fucking retarded.
Terrakion - You maybe should have taken away a letter here actually.
Virizion - Should have been Viridion man.
Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus - Why. Seriously, why?
Kyurem - What else would it be?

Also, Free Fall -> Sky Drop is a major fail. Also Fennel. Seriously, what the hell?

/rant

On the plus side, aside from the horrid names and the few terrible designs, everything else about these games are awesome. And I will definitely be using Zebstrika, Excadrill, and Mienshao on my team, with kick-awesome nicknames of course. Why isn't it March yet?

Bitch please?
I mean seriously, you hate like, 95% of the names. I bet that in March everyone will like the names, just like how we got used to Japanese one. I for a change, LIKE 95% of the names. And I dont think they're unoriginal or lame. Especially for KlingKlang. I think that one is pretty original. It sure is better then KlingKlingKling.

the worst is Desukān....Echnatoll. Echnatoll? I guess NOE is trolling us with this name.
Echnatroll, then :p
If I had remembered any of the german I learned in secondary school, I wouldn't have to ask this question; What makes Echnatoll a troll?

Speaking of foreign names, I think you guys got a pretty good localised name for Musharna with 'Somnivora'. Sounds cool, and is quite fitting for a dream eating pokemon.
Also, Rotomurf! :D

Speaking of foreign names, I think you guys got a pretty good localised name for Musharna with 'Somnivora'. Sounds cool, and is quite fitting for a dream eating pokemon.

Yeah, Somnivora is actually cool. I don't get why we kept Munna and Musharna, I still don't know what its supposed to mean. I'd like to think its not arbitrary randomness and its because it was supposed to be this generation's Clefairy or something, but Clefairy had its name changed.

Echnatroll, then :p
If I had remembered any of the german I learned in secondary school, I wouldn't have to ask this question; What makes Echnatoll a troll?

I can't wait for March 4th in order to get my very own Rotomurf!

Well, Echnatoll is tricky because, honestly, I can't see ANY pun in it. nothing death related, nothing egyptian related, nothing coffin related. It doesn't help, that it sounds like:

Ech(t)? Na toll... which can be translated into: Really? Great...

Like: "That's the name? Really? Great..."

And after Nagelotz I can't wait for Miruhog's German name. I hope it is equally hilarious.

Yeah, Somnivora is actually cool. I don't get why we kept Munna and Musharna, I still don't know what its supposed to mean. I'd like to think its not arbitrary randomness and its because it was supposed to be this generation's Clefairy or something, but Clefairy had its name changed.

Cinccino and Minccino are the Generation's Clefairy and Clefable, if I recall correctly. And yes, Somnivora's a pretty nice name.

Thanks for reading.

I can't wait for March 4th in order to get my very own Rotomurf!

Well, Echnatoll is tricky because, honestly, I can't see ANY pun in it. nothing death related, nothing egyptian related, nothing coffin related. It doesn't help, that it sounds like:

Ech(t)? Na toll... which can be translated into: Really? Great...

Like: "That's the name? Really? Great..."
Yeah, my Drilbur? It's gonna be Rotomurf. Hell, maybe just Murph. Infact, maybe I'll get two. Wilbur and Murph.

Well, look at this way.
Imagine you're raiding an egyptian tomb for it's bounty of riches. You go up to the solid gold sarcophagus lying in the centre of the room. Hey, it's solid gold, right? About the only bad thing about a solid gold coffin is getting rid of the dead guy inside. But then, all of a sudden? Toothy grin. Giant omnious shadow hands. Your last words?
"....Really?....Great"

Either way, I reckon they wasted a pretty fitting name for Tabunne with that one. It's even got the 'Ech' from 'echo' in there for those who'd want the whole sound theme to make it in.

Last edited:

Bitch please?
I mean seriously, you hate like, 95% of the names. I bet that in March everyone will like the names, just like how we got used to Japanese one. I for a change, LIKE 95% of the names. And I dont think they're unoriginal or lame. Especially for KlingKlang. I think that one is pretty original. It sure is better then KlingKlingKling.
He can dislike the names if he wants; as well, the Japanese names don't really carry too much meaning for us English users, even if we like the names. The name 'Desukan' itself (as well as most of the other Japanese names) doesn't bring along an obvious sense of reference to coffins or mummies or--well, anything really. So one reason we can get so used to the names is because we know we won't have to deal with them later on.

Cinccino and Minccino are the Generation's Clefairy and Clefable, if I recall correctly. And yes, Somnivora's a pretty nice name.

Thanks for reading.

Miniccino could eat a Clefable alive. That thing's Dream World ability along with it's signature Sweep Slap move + Bullet Seed is ludicrous damage. For serious. I love the twinked-out Gen V abilities that are creating all these Lethal Joke Characters.

I'm hoping some of those names are fake/beta... don't get me wrong, some of them are extremely cool... but some seem like they explode the mind. It's almost like they decided to change the names so that they would be harder for kids to pronounce than the Japanese name. Let alone picturing how the VA's for the anime are going to deal with some of these verbal farts Pokemon USA is having them say for names and attacks. (By verbal fart I mean words that don't roll off the tongue easy or end abruptly)

I'm also surprised over Emolga, that barely even makes sense and it breaks the pattern from plusle, minun, and pachirisu.

I'm hoping some of those names are fake/beta... don't get me wrong, some of them are extremely cool... but some seem like they explode the mind. It's almost like they decided to change the names so that they would be harder for kids to pronounce than the Japanese name. Let alone picturing how the VA's for the anime are going to deal with some of these verbal farts Pokemon USA is having them say for names and attacks. (By verbal fart I mean words that don't roll off the tongue easy or end abruptly)

I'm also surprised over Emolga, that barely even makes sense and it breaks the pattern from plusle, minun, and pachirisu.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if there's just an ascended fan working for Nintendo and is just applying names left and right because they think its cool, and not for the actual purpose of localisation.

You know you did something wrong, when a Pokemon region supposedly based on an American city has English names that sound foreign to the language its being localized into.

Miniccino could eat a Clefable alive. That thing's Dream World ability along with it's signature Sweep Slap move + Bullet Seed is ludicrous damage. For serious. I love the twinked-out Gen V abilities that are creating all these Lethal Joke Characters.
Or Technician, which it gets normally, as Gen V Pokémon aren't available on the DW yet.

Technician is decent enough for those moves and better all-around (Technician combined with those moves can have higher payoff than Skill Link with the same moves, if those moves hit 4 or 5 times with Technician): but anyway, Clefable, Clefairy, and Cleffa are all hosses with Magic Guard. All 3 of them have decent use in OU, when Cleffa simply isn't enough. Clefable also is a great sweeper or a troublesome dual wall, depending on his configuration.

Pignite - One the one hand, anyone with half a brain could have thought of it. On the other, Nintendo's localization team don't appear to have a tenth of a brain among them. Obviously stolen from the fandom.
I don't...quite get this.

People were creating these dub names and then getting upset when they weren't used (remember how people were upset when they didn't use Smugleaf?), but when they do use them, it's "stealing"?

I don't...quite get this.

People were creating these dub names and then getting upset when they weren't used (remember how people were upset when they didn't use Smugleaf?), but when they do use them, it's "stealing"?

Yeah, and what's so bad with showing that Nintendo is aware of its fandom?

All the names are great. I still think we should wait for Nintendo to release the names. They might change a name or 2 if they have to.

If Nintendo were aware of its fandom, Farfetch'd and Luvdisc would have evolutions and Flareon would learn Flare Blitz.

With a mustache.

Nintendo doesn't have any control over who gets evolutions or moves, silly. :p

Back
Top Bottom