• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

I like Unova according to pokebeach it's a combination of two Latin words Unum" + Nova which mean One New. quite fitting considering it's in a new land

No dice currently on name origins except for Snivy, which is obvious.

I did noticed how Snivy was guessed as it's name quite a few months ago actually. Never thought it would be it's real english name, as I kept thinking Smugleaf until then... o-o

At first I was mad enough to punch my wall (and then realize that plaster is a lot tougher than sheetrock which my wall is of the former) but then I realized that I had a Greasemonkey script that replaces names

Unova I can't STAND. To start, I read it as Uno + va.

Snivy does NOT suit Tsutarja. I never even used Smugleaf either.
Now I just have to put up with the games since I don't watch the dub anymore. And then when I become good enough at Japanese, I can exclude myself completely from the English names.

For some reason I've had anger isshus for the past few days.
Oh and what are they going to do with "Best Wishes"?

I like the theory of Unova = UNited States OF America.

At first I was mad enough to punch my wall (and then realize that plaster is a lot tougher than sheetrock which my wall is of the former) but then I realized that I had a Greasemonkey script that replaces names

Unova I can't STAND. To start, I read it as Uno + va.

Snivy does NOT suit Tsutarja. I never even used Smugleaf either.
Now I just have to put up with the games since I don't watch the dub anymore. And then when I become good enough at Japanese, I can exclude myself completely from the English names.

For some reason I've had anger isshus for the past few days.
Oh and what are they going to do with "Best Wishes"?

Snivy is a direct translation of Tsutarja

Tsuta = Ivy
ja = Snake

I actually really like the names they gave them. And the region sounds so intense. I'll probably still name my Oshawott Wotter though.

I like the starter names... I'll just have to get used to Unova... that's the only one I don't particularly like.

I like the theory of Unova = UNited States OF America.

holy cow! :O

Can not be unseen! :D
i like this theory as well ^_^

But the starter names are just seriously "Meh" :l
im going to mix-n-match region names and call them:
Vipélierre
Floink
Ottaro

Last edited:

Snivy is awesome, and I'll get used to Tepig. I hated Oshawott until I realized it sounded like "Ocean Water"... then it made more sense.

But changing the region name? :(

Unova's Japanese name is derived from 一種類 isshurui, meaning "one variety". As explained by game director Masuda, this is to express that even though the region has great diversity in species and race, when seen from a distance they are all the same as living creatures.[2] It may also be influenced by the motto of the United States, e pluribus unum, Latin for "from many, one".

not United States of America

but Uno (One) and possibly Unity (Sticking together)

That's where Unova comes from

Unova's Japanese name is derived from 一種類 isshurui, meaning "one variety". As explained by game director Masuda, this is to express that even though the region has great diversity in species and race, when seen from a distance they are all the same as living creatures.[2] It may also be influenced by the motto of the United States, e pluribus unum, Latin for "from many, one".

not United States of America

but Uno (One) and possibly Unity (Sticking together)

That's where Unova comes from

Even better logic. Now I'm slightly less disappointed! :D

Oshawott also sounds like you're saying Ocelot with a speech impediment... I still like it.

It looks like I only like the names that are direct translations/approximations

Which are Snivy and Unova...

Blugh.

I'm really scared for my favorite pokemon now. As well as my pigeon :(

Oshawott also sounds like you're saying Ocelot with a speech impediment... I still like it.

You should be careful whe n typing such things. I nearly bursted out in laughter after reading that, which would have gotten me into trouble as I'm at work XD

*Thinks of Elmer Fudd*

Unova isn't bad. I'll get used to it.
...But Oshawott? It's not bad but i'm so used to Mijumaru i'm nicknaming my...Oshawott Miju. Then Chimaru, then just Daikenki.
Snivy isn't bad at all it just doesn't seem to fit. I'll get used to it...maybe.
And Tepig is friggin' hilarious to me. :p I read it as "Teh-pig", is that how it's supposed to be?

Overall I got so used to Pokabu, Tsutaaja/Smugleaf, and Mijumaru that, I can't picture them as anything else but. I guess i'll be nicknaming a lot of Pokemon i'm used to already.

I believe Isshu was changed to Unova because its a region based on New York City, so the localization team decided to change the name from Japanese to English to fit the overall "theme" for once.

Also, I could see Snivy - Janivy - Jalord working decently.

xD Hmmm, now I might nickname my Miju, Ocelot.
I can't un-hear Ocelot now.

Back
Top Bottom