• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

You all need to stop spamming.

At the beginning I hated Oshawott, especially snce that's the one I'm gonna choose when I get the English name. But it grew on me, and while I still think it's the weirdest Pokémon name I've heard in so many years, it is precisely that weirdness which makes the name unique, so maybbe I even might end up with my fist non-nicknamed Pokémon ever. I loved Snivy, I want one just because of its name. Tepig stiill is meh. As said earlier, I might get a foreign one.

Unova also grew already on me. But I will NEVER EVER forget them for removing such an important plot point -the yin-yang theme. That is when I get into serious bussiness. I just hope they handle well the story without that concept.

EDIT: LOL at those puns.

EDIT 2: WTF with all those Canada references? The city's named OTTAWA, not Oshawa.

Last edited:

Well Deep Black and Vast White sound tons tons tons better than Yin Black Yang White. And how is the Yin Yang theme not there? It's still Pokemon Black and White, with yin yang covers, blah blah

Besides, deep and vast are like implying opposite effects, black going deeper and white getting wider, so it's still there.

When I first saw the names for the starters (and the region), I was like o.o WTH?!?!?!?!?! But looking at the names a few minutes later (and reading some of the posts) I realized that I could actually get used to these names! And then I looked at Tepig and I thought, "Okay, maybe that would take some time." I like Snivy, can't seem to be okay with Tepig, and was shocked at Oshawott at first, but then evened out.

I swear, Baconator woulda been a better name.

Well Deep Black and Vast White sound tons tons tons better than Yin Black Yang White. And how is the Yin Yang theme not there? It's still Pokemon Black and White, with yin yang covers, blah blah

Besides, deep and vast are like implying opposite effects, black going deeper and white getting wider, so it's still there.

Those aren't the only meanings that Yin and Yang encompass, thus I perfectly understand VeggiePopper's stand. On the other hand, I was expecting some minor censoring as usual (Yoga Power becoming 'Pure Power', Souzou Pokémon becoming 'Alpha Pokémon', etc.) so it isn't as surprising as it seems at first sight.

I don't know why, but I kinda like Oshawott now. I just like how it sounds. We might as well get used to the names. I'm pretty sure everyone remembers how we all thought Mijumaru Oshawott was hideous. But now we've all gotten used to him.

Those aren't the only meanings that Yin and Yang encompass, thus I perfectly understand VeggiePopper's stand. On the other hand, I was expecting some minor censoring as usual (Yoga Power becoming 'Pure Power', Souzou Pokémon becoming 'Alpha Pokémon', etc.) so it isn't as surprising as it seems at first sight.

Even if it's not surprising, it's a really, really stupid change.

I remember people warming up to Oshawott Mijumaru about midway through following the games :p

If you say Oshawott with the first O short, it sounds like you're saying ocelot with a lisp.

Squee.

Snivy is about as good as it gets as fars as maintaining any original meaning. Tepig comes rather close. What's good with Tepig and Oshawott is that their names reveal their identities--though Tepig is clearly a pig anyway. Tepig's name is also pretty good though, for Tepid leaves a lot of room for development.

If the "snake" + "grass" is the main thing to maintain for the snake line, then I want "Hissivy" or something of the sort to be what goes for Janovy, and "Coilord" to be what goes for Jalorda (though this loses Grass emphasis--not that the Japanese seems to have any).

The Fire line is still in my sig, no new innovations there yet.

As per the Otter line, I have "Quampion" or something for the last guy. (Champion, Aqua, yada yada yada.) It being a sea lion, and the ideas of lions being noble and having dignity, might make a lion reference useful.

Don't complain about the names of the starters in english. The french names are horrible :-( ! You are lucky :/

The only Name I have to complain about is Unova... How are we suppose to pronounce that anyways? Un-o-va? Yuu-Nova? Eu-Nova? It rattles my brain!

I actually like Oshawott... it reminds me of "Rashomon" for some reason, but that's why I like it. (Though I think it's weird because it seems harder to pronounce than Mijumaru, but most english names are harder to pronounce anyways) Snivy is okay, it's a neat pairing (and I like how it rolls of the tongue) but it doesn't feel like there is as much thought behind it, same for Tepig.

I don't really care much though, but the Unova thing has me tongue tied!

Also, sorry to actual fans that liked it... but the fan name, "Wotter", sucks pokeballs. (I don't even think the person that created it intended it to be anything more than a place holder either)

I'm actually not a fan of changing Isshu to Unova when in the past games they kept the names of the regions the same in the English version. Why change the name of a region in the English version now?

I guess because of the United States of America

I like Oshawott and Snivy but Tepig will take me a while to get used to. I hoped they would keep Isshu but oh well, Unova isn't too bad.

Last edited:

"Oshawott" actually does make sense to me, if you consider the "ocelot" connection. Check it out:
Miju's got Cute Little Fangs and feline looking ears.
Its second form's whiskers.
Daikenki's a sea lion.

Pretty clever, you ask me.

I realised that I had trouble remembering the names "Tepig" and "Oshawott", because when I think Tepig/Pokabu, I think of a name that begins with "P", and Oshawott, I normally think Ottawa, but luckily the fan name "Wotter" brought me to some sense.

Also someone in Smogon brought up the possibility that Denchura will be Tarantesla. Now, don't fully take my word for it: I didn't think of the name, so take this one with a grain of salt. Anyway, the dissatisfaction on Smogon about the English names is, in my opinion, worse than here.

Thanks for reading.

Tarantesla sounds incredibly generic. Yes yes I know "Durr hurr Dewgong and Seel lol", but still...

I understand its a combination of Taranis and Tarantula though...

Back
Top Bottom