• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

On the subject of this, how long do you think it'll be before more English names are revealed, based on what's happened in the past?

If you're talking about the Japanese release, all the information was via Pokemon Sunday and CoroCoro. This is the earliest we've actually gotten names, I believe. We got the starter names in mid-May from CoroCoro. The next set was from CoroCoro also in mid-June. Back when DP was being localized for US, we got like 1-2 random names in November and December, and then the starter names in January. This stuff we're getting now is early. It just points to a March release, almost February based on how soon we got starter info.

Where do the English names usually start coming from, just the official BW site? There aren't any English magazines that have that information like CoroCoro, are there?

I mean the English release. I followed the Japanese one from day one.

I'm interested to see how we get the names.

I like Snivy and Oshawott. Not sure what they were going with when it comes to Tepig though.

I mean the English release. I followed the Japanese one from day one.

I'm interested to see how we get the names.

Probably through just random releases... like commercials and toys and such. We won't get all the names until the games come out, of course.

Granted, I wasn't a MB-using fan when the last generation started, so I don't know how these things usually work. I'm not new to the games, but I'm new-ish to the "true fandom experience" :spin:

I like how they came up with something quite unpredictable. Though Smugleaf and Smuglord will remain in my heart.

Oshawott is my favourite. Unfortunatley someone else beat me to it, so I went with TE PIG!!

But Oshawott is my favourite and nothing will change that.

I like the new name of the region, it's really not that bad. I'll pronounce it as YU-NOE-VAH. Or, you know, it could easily be OO-NAW-VAY or UH-NOE-VAY. You never know..

Yeah, it does sound like the UNited states OV America, but my first guess was UNited NOVA; meaning "New Nation" (Nova means New). Which, would make sense because the USA is one of the youngest countries in the world and was also called the "New World" during the colonization era.

Or.. I'm just overanalyzing this.

I like the new name of the region, it's really not that bad. I'll pronounce it as YU-NOE-VAH. Or, you know, it could easily be OO-NAW-VAY or UH-NOE-VAY. You never know..

Yeah, it does sound like the UNited states OV America, but my first guess was UNited NOVA; meaning "New Nation" (Nova means New). Which, would make sense because the USA is one of the youngest countries in the world and was also called the "New World" during the colonization era.

Or.. I'm just overanalyzing this.

I agree with everything you said. I think the name is ok, but not great, but hey, we'll get used to it. So far, Johto is still my fav. region, and probably always will be. But Unova will hang around 3rd/ 4th.

So far, I personally like all of the Japanese names better, for the region and starters.

I'm thinking I might just nickname my pokemon their japanese names when I catch them. I'm going to pronounce the region YU-NOE-VA. I kinda prefer Isshu though.

more name guesses
washibon: Freeglet (Free + Eaglet)
wargle: Amerigle (america + eagle)

doryuzu: Drillzer

more name guesses
washibon: Freeglet (Free + Eaglet)
wargle: Amerigle (america + eagle)

Those are good guesses, but I think that they'll actually stick with the japanese for those pokemon.

Washibon always sounded like Washington to me in my head and well Wargle is war+eagle.

Those are good guesses, but I think that they'll actually stick with the japanese for those pokemon.

Washibon always sounded like Washington to me in my head and well Wargle is war+eagle.

well, i know. those are on the off chance they don't

Snivy is pretty good and what's surprising is that people guessed it on here.
Oshawott took me off guard but its growing on me.
and I cannot stand the name Tepig, if you say it out loud in an American accent it sounds like your word-vomiting.

And I absolutely love the name Unova, it kinda just fits, I'm glad they didn't keep Isshu for English because it just doesn't fit well, imo.

And I pronounce Unova like this : OOOOOO-NO-VA

I'm still calling Oshiwott, Mijumaru. Because Mijumaru soudns way cuter for that little otter

And Snivy makes Tsujara sound lot cooler. Hopefully I can use my 2 DS systems and transfer all 3 starters into one file when you can trade (probably Black) and see which one fits me the best. I wonde rif it'll be like gen 3 when waters the best choice

nova's also portuguese for new.

I wanted "Supig" before for Chaobuu, since it's pretty much a direct translation while a pun as well, and now that we've got Tepig as Pokabu's name, it fits the line as well.

Back
Top Bottom