• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Wow, Joey took his sweet time showing up this time around.

So, Rood is Dutch, Giallo is Italian, Ryoku is Japanese, Gorm is Gaelic, Zinzolin is French, and Bronius is apparently Latin (From brunius, brown).

Darn, there's no Chinese...(><).I guess Latin, German and Arabic are replaced by Gaelic, Dutch and Latin respectively. I wonder how the other languages will be like...

Last edited:
Wait..was it the Shorts Kid Kenta on Route 2 that was changed into Youngster Jimmy..? o_o

Darn, there's no Chinese...(><).I guess Latin, German and Arabic are replaced by Gaelic, Dutch and Latin respectively. I wonder how the other languages will be like...

Yeah, no Chinese name is a bummer. Maybe they are not good enough internationally?

Thanks for reading.

I think Bronius is actually German (though from the same root as the Latin). At least some of these names, as well as being colours, are actual names in the real world.

Just took all the Pokémon names from the phrases/words list. It's in alphabetical order.

=Pokémon Names=
Accelgor
Alomomola
Amoonguss
Archen
Archeops
Audino
Axew

Basculin
Beartic
Beheeyem
Bisharp
Blitzle
Boldore
Bouffalant

Carracosta
Chandelure
Cinccino
Cobalion
Cofagrigus
Conkeldurr
Cottonee
Crustle
Cryogonal
Cubchoo

Darmanitan
Darumaka
Deerling
Deino
Dewott
Drilbur
Druddigon
Ducklett
Duosion
Durant
Dwebble

Eelektrik
Eelektross
Elgyem
Emboar
Emolga
Escavalier
Excadrill

Ferroseed
Ferrothorn
Foongus
Fraxure
Frillish

Galvantula
Garbodor
Gigalith
Golett
Golurk
Gothita
Gothitelle
Gothorita
Gurdurr

Haxorus
Heatmor
Herdier
Hydreigon

Jellicent
Joltik

Karrablast
Keldeo
Klang
Klink
Klinklang
Krokorok
Krookodile
Kyurem

Lampent
Landorus
Larvesta
Leavanny

Meloetta
Mienfoo
Mienshao
Munna
Musharna

Oshawott

Palpitoad
Panpour
Pansage
Pansear
Patrat
Pawniard
Petilil
Pidove
Pignite
Purrloin

Reshiram
Reuniclus
Roggenrola
Rufflet

Samurott
Sandile
Sawk
Sawsbuck
Scolipede
Scrafty
Scraggy
Seismitoad
Serperior
Servine
Sewaddle
Shelmet
Sigilyph
Simipour
Simisage
Simisear
Snivy
Solosis
Stoutland
Stunfisk
Swadloon
Swanna
Swoobat

Tepig
Terrakion
Throh
Thundurus (yes, it actually says Thundurus, not Thunderus)
Timburr
Tirtouga
Tornadus
Tranquill
Trubbish
Tympole
Tynamo

Unfezant

vanillish
Vanillite
Vanilluxe
Venipede
Victini
Virizion
Volcarona
Vullaby

Watchog
Whimsicott
Whirlipede
Woobat

Yamask

Zebstrika
Zekrom
Zoroark
Zorua
Zweilous

Genosect isn't in the list. And I can't seem to see any of the names to be for Genosect..

I'll now start with the moves.

OMG, now can we can post it on Bubapedia? (Other than Serebii, that's my main source of info and it frustrates me to no end when the names are in JAPA-FREAKKING-NESE when I'm sure we were all sure the list was true once Nintendo started leaking names and they were all true.)

OMG, now can we can post it on Bubapedia? (Other than Serebii, that's my main source of info and it frustrates me to no end when the names are in JAPA-FREAKKING-NESE when I'm sure we were all sure the list was true once Nintendo started leaking names and they were all true.)
As has been pointed out several times in the last few days, the names will be posted when they're posted.

No need to get angry.

Well at least there is progress, as I've noticed that varies pages (like Cottonee, Venipede,and Roggenrola) have been updated with English names, and there are more being moved as we speak.

So basically, be patient.

We've also added the English names of all locations, all gym leaders and a lot of the major NPCs.

Bear in mind that changing the name of even one Pokémon is a laborious task, because then every other page mentioning that Pokémon (and there will be a lot of them) also has to be edited to add the new names.

We'll most likely see a lot more names being changed tonight, but don't underestimate the scale of the task. It's yet another reason we've been ultra-cautious about the English names: you do not want to go through all that just to have to change everything back again.

Joey returns = we're doomed...

cool taht we have confiramtion on the names, i love them.

I heard of a Joey being in Unova. I wonder if he constantly calls you talking about his Patrat being the top percentage of Patrats...

I kinda predicted that his name would be Joey. His Japanese name is Gorou, same as the Joey in HG/SS.

Made a list of all the new abilities with English names. They're from Japanese to English. I just couldn't fit all the English names with the Japanese ones, so maybe you guys know what could be what?

Strangely, in the abilities list, all the types are listed too..

Japanese to English
Analyze = Analytic
Antagonist =
Bad Habit =
Big Pecks = Big Pecks
Broken Armor =
Competitiveness =
Cursed Body =
Daruma Mode =
Eccentric =
Friend Guard = Friend Guard
Harvest = Harvest
Healer = Healer
Heavy Metal = Heavy Metal
Sap Sipper = Sap Sipper
Illusion = Illusion
Iron Thorns =
Jitter =
Light Metal = Light Metal
Magic Mirror =
Miracle Skin =
Moxie = Moxie
Multiscale =
Mummy = Mummy
Overcoat =
Overload =
Poison Rampage = Toxic Boost?
Regenerator = Regenerator
Righteous Heart =
Sand Force = Sand Force
Sand Rush = Sand Rush
Sheer Force = Sheer Force
Slip Through =
Sudden Impulse =
Teasing Heart =
Telepathy = Telepathy
Unnerve = Unnerve
Teravolt = Teravolt
Timid =
Turboblaze = Turboblaze
Underhanded =
Victory Star = Victory Star

New English Names (x = already in the list above, ? = i dunno what to do with them, I just put the types in there because they were in the guide)
Analytic x
Big Pecks x
Bug ?
Dark ?
Defeatist
Defiant
Dragon ?
Electric ?
Fighting ?
Fire ?
Flare Boost
Flying ?
Friend Guard x
Ghost ?
Grass ?
Ground ?
Harvest x
Healer x
Heavy Metal x
Ice ?
Illusion x
Imposter
Infiltrator
Justified
Light Metal x
Magic Bounce
Moody
Moxie x
Multiscale
Mummy x
Normal ?
Overcoat
Poison ?
Prankster
Psychic ?
Rattled
Regenerator x
Rock ?
Sand Force x
Sand Rush x
Sap Sipper x
Sheer Force x
Telepathy x
Teravolt x
Toxic Boost
Turboblaze x
Unnerve x
Victory Star x
Water ?
Weak Armor
Wonder Skin
Zen Mode

I kinda predicted that his name would be Joey. His Japanese name is Gorou, same as the Joey in HG/SS.

So we have Jimmy AND Joey kept from before. Maybe this kid is Joey from Johto's kid that moved to Unova to train his Patrat to the top percentage of Patrat.

Mijumaru's evo got awesome German names:

Mijumaru = Ottaro ( -taro, japanese name ending?)
Futachimaru = Zwottronin ( ronin)
Daikenki = Admurai ( Admiral + Sumarai)

Back
Top Bottom