• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lockdown for B&W?

Lock down the wikis for BW?

• YES!

Votes: 83 64.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 46 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Until order can be achieved, I guess. The place is gonna be a racket for a while, so we need to limit the entries to the staff to keep it from devolving into a brawlfest or grinding to a halt.

i think it should be locked down

but what about the other areas of bulbagarden? will they be affected?
and is there a possibility the forums will be spammed by the (unproved) info from random members?

I don't really see what benefits could be gained from locking
at some point this information will need to be added and with it will come both good edits and bad ones (which will later need correcting)
that just seems unavoidable

if server issues are not a concern this time I say leave it open for now and maybe lock it when BW hits the states and mass editing of a poor quality is a more...tangible danger

edit: also by leaving it open it may be possible to mitigate some of the "damage" that would be done later by adding as much good information as soon as possible

i think it should be locked down

but what about the other areas of bulbagarden? will they be affected?
and is there a possibility the forums will be spammed by the (unproved) info from random members?

The forums, I can say, will be busy. Sites like Pokebeach and Serebii are known for posting any and all information on the games, which will immediately find its way here into the threads. Yes, there will be spam. Yes, there will be duplicate threads. I'd hope people wouldn't do that, but it'll happen anyways. However, we cannot lock down the forums.

EDIT: Nolder, the staff of the pedia can still upload it.

yes I understand that
and you guys are great
but I think there's more to be gained by letting people try to help than shutting them out

Just to be clear, how long would this lockdown last?

Ideally, the lockdown would end before September does. Only reason the HGSS one went way longer than the end of March was the resulting server issues that took until July to fix.

I don't really see what benefits could be gained from locking
at some point this information will need to be added and with it will come both good edits and bad ones (which will later need correcting)
that just seems unavoidable
Basically what I had in mind.

Or we can hope that the japanese players who know english are more civilised when they get a hold of the game. Unless it's them we're referring to in the first post.

If server issues are not a concern, I don't see why we should lock it down. Sure, we'll get some noobs coming in and editing BW pages with speculation, but that shouldn't be enough to lock it down. I'd lean towards saying "lock the userspace for the rush", but now it is used for pre-mainspace articles, so I think it could stay open. All BW things could be reduced to autoconfirmed for the first week, then removed entirely afterwards (if people behave).
So my question is, is the only reason we are considering a lockdown to prevent spammy edits and speculation? If so, then we should leave it open. The editors can handle the spammy edits that will occur.

If server issues are not a concern, I don't see why we should lock it down. Sure, we'll get some noobs coming in and editing BW pages with speculation, but that shouldn't be enough to lock it down. I'd lean towards saying "lock the userspace for the rush", but now it is used for pre-mainspace articles, so I think it could stay open. All BW things could be reduced to autoconfirmed for the first week, then removed entirely afterwards (if people behave).

My idea is to not lock down the userspace and to only lock down the mainspace for the purposes of preventing spammy edits. That way, the prototype articles can still be worked on, and would eventually be moved towards the mainspace by junior admins, if the lockdown is still in effect.

As TTEchidna said, though, the lockdown shouldn't last any longer past the end of September, which isn't really that long of a time.

So my question is, is the only reason we are considering a lockdown to prevent spammy edits and speculation? If so, then we should leave it open. The editors can handle the spammy edits that will occur.

Pretty much what I think. Wikipedia handles much worse things on a daily basis, even if they do have a hundred times as many servers.

I won't be happy if you lock the bulba 0_0
BW (game as well as anime) will have a bunch of new info, so the contribution of a lot of users will be required in order to keep the site up to date.
Overall, I don't think that locking the entire site will be good idea.

I think you should lock it down IF it starts crashing like crazy. It would benefit the wiki more to have it open, but it would save the server if it was closed.

I guess you meant only Bulbapedia staff there, so I voted for no lockdown. I'd let community edit what is a community-driven encyclopedia.

Knowing what usually happens with new releases, yes. Because it's really annoying trying to edit. Although...... you should probably temporarily give a few more users the ability to edit some things, instead of just having admins and the JA's. Sometimes info will go without an update for a week or more, because the admins will be too busy trying to mess around with templates or mass re-organize everything. Most of the time that only happens when certain pages are locked, but it'll still go without an update even when a couple people ask on the talk page.

I understand that the templates and re-orgs are needed, because templates are some of the most annoying things to deal with, but sometimes there'll be little admin activity on some days, with one or two looking for something to do, and that page still won't be updated. And most of the time it's on the articles getting the most attention, because people tend to focus on getting the obscure characters' info right, because they expect everyone else to be checking the important character pages.

And I might just be unconciously complaining about the things that annoyed me during the HGSS lockdown, but it was still a big problem concerning the major characters and plot points.

Who knows? It might have changed when the JA's were incorporated. I haven't been at the Pedia much since around HGSS. But that's just my rant/opinion.

Last edited:
I picked no, but it depends.
How long would the lockdown happen for, in general? I know it'd be a large pain with false info and the backlog of everybody editing at the same time, but it'd still be beneficial to see new info on the games.

My idea is to not lock down the userspace and to only lock down the mainspace for the purposes of preventing spammy edits. That way, the prototype articles can still be worked on, and would eventually be moved towards the mainspace by junior admins, if the lockdown is still in effect.
I'm not sure how possible that would be for something like this. It would require editing of the user group rights, which would be more difficult. I'd guess it would be more likely that there would just be stricter limits placed on the userspace, reducing the limit on personal userspace edits, similar to what it was like once the wiki was unlocked after HGSS.

I picked no, but it depends.
How long would the lockdown happen for, in general? I know it'd be a large pain with false info and the backlog of everybody editing at the same time, but it'd still be beneficial to see new info on the games.
As TTE has said, it would start once the games are released and ideally end before the end of September - a duration of less than two weeks.

Also note that the staff would still be able to edit, so information would still go up, just slower than if it wasn't.

I'm not sure how possible that would be for something like this. It would require editing of the user group rights, which would be more difficult.

How'd you manage the userspace lockdown in 2008, then...? Wouldn't the user group rights also be involved in that?

Lock it down. If anything, I can forward you information, as I will HOPEFULLY be getting the game on the 18th.

If I can't, then, meh.

Lock it down. If anything, I can forward you information, as I will HOPEFULLY be getting the game on the 18th.

And I'll be doing *ahem*questionably legal*cough* things to get the base stats for you guys.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom