• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lockdown for B&W?

Lock down the wikis for BW?

• YES!

Votes: 83 64.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 46 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This has probably been said a lot before but is it possible to lock out only the articles that relate to Black and White and leave everything else unlocked?

I think you should not lock it at first, because there will be a lot needing to be done, and Bulbapedia will need every legitimate editor it can get. But if there is too much vandalism or clashing then I guess it does need to be locked down.

all or nothing.

Couldn't you just protect the pages? I think that the lockdown would hurt the wiki a lot more than it would help it. Not only would it prevent regular users from making helpful edits, but they couldn't even ask someone who can edit the page to do it for them, because the talk namespace would be locked too. We would lose a lot more helpful edits from regular users than non-helpful edits if we went through with the lockdown.

Protecting the pages would keep out vandalism and speculation, only without keeping out helpful edits as well.

Couldn't you just protect the pages? I think that the lockdown would hurt the wiki a lot more than it would help it. Not only would it prevent regular users from making helpful edits, but they couldn't even ask someone who can edit the page to do it for them, because the talk namespace would be locked too. We would lose a lot more helpful edits from regular users than non-helpful edits if we went through with the lockdown.

Protecting the pages would keep out vandalism and speculation, only without keeping out helpful edits as well.
People will create them at other names.

Well, looks like we've got everything. And the wiki's on lockdown because, as usual, we didn't foresee at all the traffic we'd get.

In about a week and a half lol. Today is the release date, information is really going to start pouring out now.

Ironically however, the wiki lockdown wasn't needed. The DDoS was directed at our forums. With the forums locked, the wiki was able to handle everything it got.

So there was a DDoS... that's why it was "busy"!

i think at this point we will keep it locked so we can get a lot of major updates handled without the majority of people getting in the way (ie: edit conflicts), so we are going to work on getting all the Pokemon pages, locations, moves, abilities, and probably other details like movesets. i know it sounds like it will take a long time, and well, it might, but i would say a week.

we dont like locking people out of a community driven site, but its so we can get you guys as much info as fast as we can while maintaining our usual quality standards. we dont want to be rushed here (ie: better hurry before i get an EC) and it will save us the hassle of the inevitably short sighted new users who will ignore the rules and go posting information they got off of GameFAQs forums or something.

You bet :)
A week and a half? Hmm... Don't know what to do without bulba, hehehe... :p

I know :) I don't think it will be that long since the site is not dealing with as much problems as we did when HG/SS came out. So maybe a week.

So, admins can you please update the anime (the episodes + opening + some other article fix like debuts etc) info as the premiere finished airing.
Not trying to be impatient but still... :spam:
Nevermind...

I have a suggestion for next time. Only lockdown the pages for the people who aren't logged in.

Hasn't the game already been released?

Yeah, but the lockdown remains so that new users don't clutter the recent changes with stupid edits.

EDIT: Actually, Mags's post explained it a hundred times better than I did.
i think at this point we will keep it locked so we can get a lot of major updates handled without the majority of people getting in the way (ie: edit conflicts), so we are going to work on getting all the Pokemon pages, locations, moves, abilities, and probably other details like movesets. i know it sounds like it will take a long time, and well, it might, but i would say a week.

we dont like locking people out of a community driven site, but its so we can get you guys as much info as fast as we can while maintaining our usual quality standards. we dont want to be rushed here (ie: better hurry before i get an EC) and it will save us the hassle of the inevitably short sighted new users who will ignore the rules and go posting information they got off of GameFAQs forums or something.

I have a suggestion for next time. Only lockdown the pages for the people who aren't logged in.

Um, it's already like that...

Last edited:
I think that only locking mainspaced articles, and MAYBE even the Talk namespace would be a better suggestion -- I can't, for example, even edit my own user page, which I'm 100% certain would be of absolutely no interest to anybody coming to check for information about Generation V. The only way for the non-staff members to even contribute to any of the pages would be by submitting it via the forums, but since Bulbapedia:Sandbox is locked down, it's impossible to check the syntax of any code provided to make sure that what we provide isn't going to cause any accidents.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom