• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Lockdown for B&W?

Lock down the wikis for BW?

• YES!

Votes: 83 64.3%
  • NO!

Votes: 46 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EDIT: Actually, Mags's post explained it a hundred times better than I did.
i also re-wrote it and made it a Message from the Editor on the main page of BP.
I think that only locking mainspaced articles, and MAYBE even the Talk namespace would be a better suggestion -- I can't, for example, even edit my own user page, which I'm 100% certain would be of absolutely no interest to anybody coming to check for information about Generation V. The only way for the non-staff members to even contribute to any of the pages would be by submitting it via the forums, but since Bulbapedia:Sandbox is locked down, it's impossible to check the syntax of any code provided to make sure that what we provide isn't going to cause any accidents.
we generally disallow userspace edits in most high activity situations as people updating their in-game team is far less important than new moves, abilities, and such.

i also re-wrote it and made it a Message from the Editor on the main page of BP.

we generally disallow userspace edits in most high activity situations as people updating their in-game team is far less important than new moves, abilities, and such.
I've read part of the thread, and someone said that server load is not an issue at all this time around (I remember the HG/SS release, this is much smoother), and it's not like I, a registered user, have permission to make changes to new moves, abilities, and such, anyway. But that's not to say I'm not interested in helping -- in the suggestion sticky, I posted a list I'd constructed of the moves introduced in Generation V. Had I been able to make a subpage in my own userspace, I'd have been able to set the page up so that a staff member would simply be able to look at it, see that it was good (if it was), and make the change from userspace to mainspace, and if it wasn't, make necessary edits first, or simply say in the talk that it's wrong.

The point is that, IMHO, for the non-staff people who are interested in helping by making many of the tedious pages or tables on their own (like I have done in the past -- Wikipedia's list of Pokémon Adventures chapters article only has the Nihongo template for chapters 191-404 because I got bored one afternoon and had a ton of time to kill), there's no realistic downside to allowing, at the very least, User and User_Talk namespace edits.

The point is that, IMHO, for the non-staff people who are interested in helping by making many of the tedious pages or tables on their own (like I have done in the past -- Wikipedia's list of Pokémon Adventures chapters article only has the Nihongo template for chapters 191-404 because I got bored one afternoon and had a ton of time to kill), there's no realistic downside to allowing, at the very least, User and User_Talk namespace edits.

There was that userspace problem back in 2008 that I know absolutely nothing about.

Also, the other downside is that it's hard to implement and might strain the server even further than it should be.

I've read part of the thread, and someone said that server load is not an issue at all this time around (I remember the HG/SS release, this is much smoother), and it's not like I, a registered user, have permission to make changes to new moves, abilities, and such, anyway. But that's not to say I'm not interested in helping -- in the suggestion sticky, I posted a list I'd constructed of the moves introduced in Generation V. Had I been able to make a subpage in my own userspace, I'd have been able to set the page up so that a staff member would simply be able to look at it, see that it was good (if it was), and make the change from userspace to mainspace, and if it wasn't, make necessary edits first, or simply say in the talk that it's wrong.

user talk will never be locked, but if yull note, i didnt mention anything about server issues. but anyway, once we unlock, we prob wont lock userspace for the reason of making pages in the userspace first. but people updating pointless info will probably be much more strict. theres plenty of real work to be done.

Uh...according to some Japanese players and English-speaking LJers, "Black" is Touya and "White" is Touko.

Anyone mind mind putting it up on the Discussion sections of their articles?

Uh...according to some Japanese players and English-speaking LJers, "Black" is Touya and "White" is Touko.

Anyone mind mind putting it up on the Discussion sections of their articles?
It's probably their default names. If someone can confirm this, then it can be added to the article (we could even move them).

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom