• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Longest Shiny Hunt

ToddMann10000

Pokemon Collector
Reaction score
So, I'm currently soft resetting for a Shiny Latios on OR, and (according to a post I made on twitter when I started) I've been trying for 11 months now. This is when you get "given" Latios after defending it from Team Magma.

Im just wondering what the longest anyone has gone, whilst specifically looking for a certain shiny, before they got it, or gave up?

I spent a good eight months (about 400 hours playtime) trying to get a 5IV shiny Dratini through the Masuda method, but eventually gave up and went with a 4IV one instead. I didn't get a single 6IV Dratini during that time either, which is even more ridiculous.

I just checked if Latios is shiny-locked, and can confirm it isn't. That's some awful luck you got there! (That is, if you spent much of those 11 months trying to get the Latios)

Last edited:
I actually think my longest was a week or two, and I think my Horsea right now is coming up, but either Reshiram or Kyurem were my longest, and like I said, only a week or two. I've had great luck.

My longest was a Shiny Shinx egg hatching hunt which spanned two whole miserable months.

I'll admit, I've been doing other stuff during (social life, work, other games etc). But what annoys me most is that, in my AS game, I've managed to shiny hunt a Tangela, three Zubat, a cresselia AND a Heatran Whilst hunting this Latios! Admittly I have the shiny charm in AS, but still.

Thanks for the confirmation on the shiny lock, Hellpest. I've worried about that a few times XD

Shiny Lugia on Soul Silver.. took me like, 6 months. Shiny Mewtwo on Heart Gold was just as hard.

I spent a good eight months (about 400 hours playtime) trying to get a 5IV shiny Dratini through the Masuda method,

I was going to say my longest was masuda method Dratini, at over 1000 eggs. But gee wizz Mr/Mrs that's too long.

I am not a patient person so my hunts never were really long like some of you guys xD.
On Y I bred for a shiny snivy, with that one I must have reached 900 eggs but it never appeared there. I got it randomly more than a year after trying while I was breeding it for a request on OR <3
With tepig I got it at the count of around 500 or 600 eggs, got it after a couple of weeks. It doesn't have the HA but I am really happy with it anyways (blue flames 10/10).
I chained for shiny minun once and got it at the 265 count, I seriously don't know how people is so patient with the dex nav, I admire them. It was for a gift so I don't have it anymore, still totally worthy because my friend loved it.

Now for the fails, you murkrow.. This one has been avoiding me since I got the shiny charm in Y. I tried it on Y and OR and I don't even know the count anymore. I am not trying for this one like a maniac but I try a couple of boxes from time to time. I guess it still counts as it about to be 3 years?
Mudkip, I do have a shiny a friend gave me now. Though before that I tried breeding it myself, don't remember the amount of eggs but I remember being a whole month before giving up.

It's been over a few months since I last started Horde Shiny Hunting for the golden Swablu. I lost track of the exact time, but I've been doing other stuff as well, so I haven't really dedicated much per day.

Though the longest I spent till I actually got a shiny was my shiny Cranidos - spanning over two generations from B2 to Y. I started breeding it from B2, transferred the breeding couple over to Y version, and kept breeding. So it took, like, around 6 months. But I forgive the little red dinosaur because he hatched as a birthday gift.

Well, thats a year. i give in. i am moving on. i have other shinies to hunt, and im sure we'll be seeing the eon pokemon again. ill catch him next time. ONWARDS! To Olola!

I know im a long way off from laki's 10 minutes (seriously, how did you keep going for that long?) but is anyone else sad hardcore enough to beat a year?

Edit.
So, i continued with the game. fully expecting a shiny to pop out at any second.
i get to the next Pokemon center. guess what nurse joy tells me?
I've been playing Pokemon since gen 3. Over 10 years.
and i just caught the pokerus.

Last edited:
Once i tried to hatch a male shiny Ralts with masuda method, because my heart longs for that darker capes. And i got one, but it is female and i just rage quit shiny hunting. It last for about a week though. But sure it is easier to get a shiny in this gen. I got some different shiny from the friend safari just by max a day or two each. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried shiny hunting once way back in the Gen IV era when chain hunting with the Pokeradar was a thing and gave up when, on the 16th or 20th Pokemon, a Bidoof broke my chain. I wasn't super far into it but it wasted enough of my time and frustrated me to the point where I just gave up. I believe I was looking for a shiny Shinx.

My brother managed to get a shiny Darkrai on his 9th soft reset AND a shiny Riolu after only hatching a few eggs in Platinum, which I am a little jealous of. That has never once happened to me. =/

I've tried shiny hunting once way back in the Gen IV era when chain hunting with the Pokeradar was a thing and gave up when, on the 16th or 20th Pokemon, a Bidoof broke my chain. I wasn't super far into it but it wasted enough of my time and frustrated me to the point where I just gave up. I believe I was looking for a shiny Shinx.
Been there, done that and I'd love to have the Bidoof corpse to show for it. I learned to hate that lumpy piece of turd Pokemon simply for that reason. UGH. I've lost count of many times that snot has shown up to ruin a chain. :mad:

I'm 850 eggs into a shiny Chimchar hunt and I've got nothing to show for it. This has been the longest hunt I've been on in a while; the last one was my shiny Golett hunt on Black which took 2,800 eggs. But for some reason, that Chimchar is just being annoying and not hatching as a shiny. It's driving me crazy.

I've tried for about a week to hunt shiny Pokémon. It's just that I'm not disciplined enough to keep going. I have a secret admiration for those who can shiny hunt for months. Like wow. I'm trying to hunt again though

The longest I've ever had to go is probably this Eevee I'm trying to get for my boyfriend, as he's given me two shinies that I absolutely ADORE (Accidentally got a shiny Bulbasaur and bred a shiny Scolipede as a gift) and I know he loves Umbreon. Which is why I wanted to give him something to thank him, but so far it's been 800 eggs and nothing.

Shortest I've ever had was a Turtwig in 23 eggs, unfortunately not competitively viable as it had a perfect IV in Sp. Atk instead of Atk.

I joined so I could reply to this thread. Don't see any forum rules about posting on old threads.

Anyways my longest hunts right now are

Random encounters/Full odds: Litleo (4,661 encounters) 2nd place: Psyduck (2,753) (Fastest: Aerodactyl 656 fossils)
Horde: Weepinbell (2,776 hordes) 2nd place: Nidoran male #8 (2,152 hordes) This number is since my last horde shiny on that route. So for example I didn't get a shiny in 2,775 consecutive hordes.
Friend Safari: Dusclops (2,020 encounters)
Dexnav: Happiny (1,386 encounters)
Fish Chain: Basculin (240 chain), luckily my next chain was a shiny Dratini in 61 reels. (Fastest: Staryu and Alomomola (4 chains)
Masuda Method: Nidoran (1,635+ encounters, ongoing) Looking for a female as I've encountered 12 shiny Nidoran males, 6 Stunky's and 1 Starly horde hunting for it. I've hatched 5 shinies (Ralts: 53, Miltank: 71, Lickitung: 887, Caterpie: 612, Sudowoodo: 430)

Last edited:
Currently doing my 3rd hunt ever, on egg like 447, I’m gonna get that shiny fletchling tho! I have like a million 6-Iv fletchling tho

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom