• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Looker

Actually Looker was made to be or represent the Doctor from the long going tv series Doctor Who. So my idea is that this Looker is a regeneration of him. He washes up on a shore as maybe the TARDIS crashed and he doesn't know who he is maybe even what he looks like. All seem to point at the regeneration of a new Looker/Doctor.

I don't know if that pun is intentional though---Tabunne, if I recall correctly, means "maybe", which doesn't really seem like a pun on having amnesia like "Audino".

Either way, I laughed. The English localization lucked out there.

Actually Looker was made to be or represent the Doctor from the long going tv series Doctor Who. So my idea is that this Looker is a regeneration of him. He washes up on a shore as maybe the TARDIS crashed and he doesn't know who he is maybe even what he looks like. All seem to point at the regeneration of a new Looker/Doctor.

Except that a brown trench coat is pretty generic detective attire, and there's more reasonable (and famous) characters from the developers' childhood that fit the bill.

^Yes, Looker is very obviously a reference to Det. Zenigata from Lupin The Third and most likely not anyone else. (Seriously, despite what Doctor Who fans seem to think, not everyone in the world has seen Doctor Who, and even of those who've seen it, they aren't all obsessed with it, or even like it.)

I agree with what someone said earlier, that Looker's appearance has something to do with Hoopa and the rings. It's possible that he's the same Looker from the OG-verse, as well, and not from the Megapoke-verse at all (so he and the Looker from XY could very well be different people! Although that could also not be the case.) I think at some point here we will have an Event-DLC which will involve Looker and Hoopa, and will reveal more information. That or showing him Hoopa or something will fix his amnesia. I just hope it isn't Japan only...I'm tired of Japan getting everything -_-

Like others have stated, Looker is based off of Koichi Zenigata, not some random sci-fi show that only a small group of people actually care about. So I highly doubt time and/or inter-dimensional travel have anything to do with this.

Now to be fair, I'm pretty sure Doctor Who is just as culturally relevant as Lupin the III is, but in terms of their country of origin, which Pokemon shares with Lupin, it's obvious which one is the likely influence.

Except Looker resembles much more the Doctor than Zenigata, in several aspects beyond looks. But what prevents GF from taking influences of both?

Except Looker resembles much more the Doctor than Zenigata, in several aspects beyond looks. But what prevents GF from taking influences of both?

Both Zenigata and Looker have a long face as well as being detectives. Personality-wise, I'd say he's more Zenigata (if the wiki is to be believed that Zenigata is sometimes portrayed as a bumbling fool despite being competent). If your only evidence for Looker being influenced by David Tennant's Doctor is the social awkwardness, brown trench coat, and black hair, we could very well make an argument that he's based off of Supernatural's Castiel, after all, Tennant's Doctor had a wider variety of clothes, while Castiel always wore the trench coat. The Doctor obfuscates stupidity; Looker almost certainly is.

Understanding the cultural impact of Lupin III in Japan versus Doctor Who's is what makes Zenigata more likely. Japan is still where the majority of fans are, so it would make more sense that they would reference something their Japanese audiences would appreciate.

Both Zenigata and Looker have a long face as well as being detectives. Personality-wise, I'd say he's more Zenigata (if the wiki is to be believed that Zenigata is sometimes portrayed as a bumbling fool despite being competent). If your only evidence for Looker being influenced by David Tennant's Doctor is the social awkwardness, brown trench coat, and black hair, we could very well make an argument that he's based off of Supernatural's Castiel, after all, Tennant's Doctor had a wider variety of clothes, while Castiel always wore the trench coat. The Doctor obfuscates stupidity; Looker almost certainly is.

Understanding the cultural impact of Lupin III in Japan versus Doctor Who's is what makes Zenigata more likely. Japan is still where the majority of fans are, so it would make more sense that they would reference something their Japanese audiences would appreciate.

("Looker has a long face"? Really?) Oh, the first thing I said is that this is not about "looks". Zenigata's attire is rather generic for a detective and long coats are a trope on its own. You can tell a thousand of characters sharing Looker/10th/Castiel/Zenigata attire.

I understand Lupin is as important in Japan as DW is in the UK, and being GF Japanese, they're naturally closer to Lupin. But it's not like Japan is isolated from the world and unable to take Western references. DW popularity burst worldwide precisely around 2006. From a Japanese point of view, Lupin has been always there, so you'd expect much earlier references (Does the agent in SS Anne count?).

Looker's status as an Interpol detective most probably references Zenigata. But that doesn't make him "100% Zenigata". See, a character can take an influence from here, another from there, etc. Looker perfectly could come from both Zenigata and the Tenth Doctor. Even Castiel if you want. Taking for granted "it's Zenigata and only Zenigata" is kinda close-minded. And by the way, the Doctor may not be "officially" a detective, but he spends most of his time investigating and solving cases (because he hates not knowing) and even stopping criminals.

Some time ago I did a little research thinking on a blog entry I never wrote in the end. And to be fair, Zenigata and the Doctor share a lot in common themselves, being two wandering loners who dropped their past lives, and a flippant and absent-minded aura covering their intelligence. But as I see, it, Looker's cases involve a lot of sci-fi and supernatural stuff that make him closer to the Doctor (The very Looker's debut was against an organization that was messing with time and space), although I guess it's Pokémon world itself that sets this context.

Also, Looker's apparitions seem pretty much random and patternless, like the Doctor's. Zenigata is always moving around a goal, capturing Lupin. Actually Lupin's figure defines Zenigata. If, for example, Looker was always wandering behind a certain criminal, I could say he's totally Zenigata, but it's not the case.

Besides, Looker is reluctant to use force as much as the Doctor, and benevolent towards the "bad guys". Looker genuinely cares about Charon's health in Stark Mountain, and then allows Xerosic and Emma a last dinner, understanding they have a bond. This humanitarian treatment to enemies is a very distinctive trait from the Doctor. Yeah, Zenigata is friendly with Lupin, but only wih Lupin.

There are another points, but I concede these aren't solid. Refusing to give his name, having a mysterious aura (even shadier after his OR/AS cameo), these awkward moments when his tongue seems to be working faster than his brain, and being close to one special companion most of the time (Croagunk, Emma, and the woman who found him in the beach).

Please drop this "Looker is influenced by the Doctor conversation". It's not impossible there is some influence, but it is incredibly unlikely, and even if there was, it wouldn't have to do with anything. It's not like this is a thread about Looker's origins as a character, it's about his role in ORAS.

It's about his role in ORAS.

Yes, exactly. Anyway, Looker is basically an easter egg. He's just there to give us Audinite and nothing else. Some people are speculating that he's the cop on the SS Anne and somehow fell overboard (some people have speculated that the SS Anne sank in the Megaverse like it did in the anime, but there is no evidence for this and in the Regularverse, the SS Anne is still very much active in HG/SS) which would make it obvious that Kanto is before Hoenn in the timeline (and Johto before Sinnoh due to the DPPt tv intro) but there really isn't anything known besides that.

in the Regularverse, the SS Anne is still very much active in HG/SS)
That's the S.S. Aqua.

which would make it obvious that Kanto is before Hoenn in the timeline (and Johto before Sinnoh due to the DPPt tv intro) but there really isn't anything known besides that.
If the S.S. Anne really sank after the Delta Episode, then if anything the Kanto events take place after the Hoenn ones. The S.S. Anne was seen early in the story (before the third badge was obtained) and it shouldn't take that long to travel from Kanto to Hoenn by ship.

That said, I would think that a luxury cruise liner sinking would be a hot topic of conversation in Hoenn if it happened in the area, but it isn't.

Last edited:

Yes, exactly. Anyway, Looker is basically an easter egg. He's just there to give us Audinite and nothing else. Some people are speculating that he's the cop on the SS Anne and somehow fell overboard (some people have speculated that the SS Anne sank in the Megaverse like it did in the anime, but there is no evidence for this and in the Regularverse, the SS Anne is still very much active in HG/SS) which would make it obvious that Kanto is before Hoenn in the timeline (and Johto before Sinnoh due to the DPPt tv intro) but there really isn't anything known besides that.

That's the S.S. Aqua.

which would make it obvious that Kanto is before Hoenn in the timeline (and Johto before Sinnoh due to the DPPt tv intro) but there really isn't anything known besides that.
If the S.S. Anne really sanked after the Delta Episode, then if anything the Kanto events take place after the Hoenn ones. The S.S. Anne was seen early in the story (before the third badge was obtained) and it shouldn't take that long to travel from Kanto to Hoenn by ship.

That said, I would think that a luxury cruise liner sinking would be a hot topic of conversation in Hoenn if it happened in the area, but it isn't.

Because of these posts, I now theorize that Looker just simply got thrown off of the SS Anne by whatever criminal he was chasing after.

That's the S.S. Aqua.

If the S.S. Anne really sanked after the Delta Episode, then if anything the Kanto events take place after the Hoenn ones. The S.S. Anne was seen early in the story (before the third badge was obtained) and it shouldn't take that long to travel from Kanto to Hoenn by ship.

Because of these posts, I now theorize that Looker just simply got thrown off of the SS Anne by whatever criminal he was chasing after.

Ooh, I like that theory. He could've hit his head on the anchor. :D And my bad on the SS Aqua/Anne mix-up. o_O

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom