• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Looker

Well, there's the common theory that Looker's design is actually based off of the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, from Doctor Who. Maybe he's a timelord and he turned himself into a human and his memories are all trapped inside a pocket watch somewhere? XD

I mean, iirc, either (Spoiler Alert) the Doctor or the Master said something about being found on a beach with no memories and nothing but a pocket watch on him. I think?

Please drop this "Looker is influenced by the Doctor conversation". It's not impossible there is some influence, but it is incredibly unlikely, and even if there was, it wouldn't have to do with anything. It's not like this is a thread about Looker's origins as a character, it's about his role in ORAS.

It is fun though.

I will agree though that the idea that he really was the investigator on the SS Anne is a good idea. Who knows? Maybe if we get a Kanto revisit again soon, we can see him on the ship?

Last edited:
My personal theory is that Looker was never a cop/Interpol agent/whatever. Just a guy with no memories who chose to make a good story for himself, and is now trying to live up to it. He doesn't seem like the most competent guy around. If he were a real agent, someone would eventually come looking for him and recognize him. Once that was done, the whole amnesia part would serve no purpose, other than as an excuse to not have character do more than just hand you a stone.

My personal theory is that Looker was never a cop/Interpol agent/whatever. Just a guy with no memories who chose to make a good story for himself, and is now trying to live up to it. He doesn't seem like the most competent guy around. If he were a real agent, someone would eventually come looking for him and recognize him. Once that was done, the whole amnesia part would serve no purpose, other than as an excuse to not have character do more than just hand you a stone.

Or maybe he got the job because of some heroic thing he did while amnesic? This would actually justify his incompetence a lot more than just making up crap about himself. After all, trying to live up to your employer's expectations is hardly unheard of, and it also make more sense than just living a lie because you don't know who you actually are.

Either this could be a good clue or mean nothing at all, but for one of the descriptions of a Super Secret Base on Route 127 reads:

"A Secret Base in a cave said to have been the hideout for a robber being pursued by the international police."

Maybe this hints at Looker already apart of the International Police? Is the robber the reason he has amnesia?

Last edited:
Looker's first appearance was in Generation IV. (meta-wise) The games there focused on the Time-Space continuum and the pokemon that manipulate it....

If you were expecting me to continue this, then I will direct you to this page and say this: Looker is not likely to be an expy of the 10th doctor!

Instead I will state this theory: Looker was a rookie assigned to his first case in Hoenn. The case involved was found in that secret base (that needed Surf to access). However Looker was attacked, banged his head on some rocks, and was knocked unconscious as a result. He eventually drifted to the Battle Resort with Amnesia while Interpol caught the criminal/terrorist/whatever was hiding there that needed their attention. Becuase they couden;t find Looker they wrote him off as a casualty and mourned appropriately. The end

Now I will invoke Occam's Razor and challenge you to find a simpler theory for how Looker wound up at the beach.

Now I will invoke Occam's Razor and challenge you to find a simpler theory for how Looker wound up at the beach.

He was on holiday on a cruise liner but got drunk and fell overboard and hit his head as he fell down. The end :D

Hoopa. Just like with the legends. To support this, there's a swimmer who says he heard a splash out of no where but didn't see anything that could've dropped it. Due to this movement Looker has his current memory loss.

Hoopa. Just like with the legends. To support this, there's a swimmer who says he heard a splash out of no where but didn't see anything that could've dropped it. Due to this movement Looker has his current memory loss.

Where is this swimmer located? Looker could've fallen out of that secret base mentioned earlier.

First of all...Happy New Year! Next, I don't know if this is stupid or whatever but I think the fact that he gives you an Audinite may be significant.
It's a mega stone for a healing pokemon.
A HEALING pokemon. This man has Amnesia and is presumably pretty roughed up from the waves. I think perhaps (just pure speculation) there will be some sort of crazy thing that we are yet to discover in which we can use Mega Audino to cure him of his amnesia and we can receive the information on what happened.

First of all...Happy New Year! Next, I don't know if this is stupid or whatever but I think the fact that he gives you an Audinite may be significant.
A HEALING pokemon. This man has Amnesia and is presumably pretty roughed up from the waves. I think perhaps (just pure speculation) there will be some sort of crazy thing that we are yet to discover in which we can use Mega Audino to cure him of his amnesia and we can receive the information on what happened.

On the other hand given the chronology of the original games in comparison to Diamond/Pearl as well as the remakes in comparison to X/Y, this could very well be Looker's for first chronological appearance and Looker's purpose in life was to reclaim his memories. Meaning that if such a think were to happen it would not be ina remake, it would be in a fuuture non-remake game and end his tenure as a recurring character (unless another twist gets thrown our way first)

On the other hand given the chronology of the original games in comparison to Diamond/Pearl as well as the remakes in comparison to X/Y, this could very well be Looker's for first chronological appearance and Looker's purpose in life was to reclaim his memories. Meaning that if such a think were to happen it would not be ina remake, it would be in a fuuture non-remake game and end his tenure as a recurring character (unless another twist gets thrown our way first)

OMG what if... what if he got his memories back in X/Y? Doesn't he get beat up by Emma while she's in the suit? My guess is that he's her father and a member of the IP. He remembered his role as an IP agent, but not his daughter. When he returned to Kalos (which seems to be his homeland since his accent isn't as bad there), he met her because of us and took her in, not remembering her. But when she struck him, he remembered. But since Emma didn't remember him, he couldn't bear to break her heart by telling her the truth, so he left, knowing that Serena/Calem would treat her like a sibling and help her along the way.

Hmmm...something for a DLC episode perhaps? Or Z/ X2Y2? :-/

Does looker really need to be on a mission. Looker is just looking for himself... trying to see who he is in the grand scheme of the universe. He is another lost soul, washed up upon the beach, where two distant worlds collide and produce a beautiful, destructive harmony with each other. Looker has been fighting evil for so long now, he has lost sight off why... his journey is a philosophical one, and his goal can never be understood by someone else. Looker is trying to find himself...

When that Swimmer mentioned something about hearing a splash in the water, I had originally thought that it was one of those little green "sparkles" that fall from the sky in the cut-scene after you defeat/capture Groudon or Kyogre.

So is the Looker in SM a Faller? I am presuming that the Looker in SM is the same as the Looker in XY. Looker in ORAS seems to be a Faller but he has a Mega Stone. If ORAS Looker is not a Faller and all the Lookers in the Mega universe are the same then I guess the Looker in SM is a Looker that is in the right universe?

So is the Looker in SM a Faller? I am presuming that the Looker in SM is the same as the Looker in XY. Looker in ORAS seems to be a Faller but he has a Mega Stone. If ORAS Looker is not a Faller and all the Lookers in the Mega universe are the same then I guess the Looker in SM is a Looker that is in the right universe?

Looker in SM isn't a Faller. It wouldn't make much sense for him to be one but never mention it while telling the player all about Fallers. He talks freely about Anabel and his former teammate being Fallers, and if he were one as well, you'd think it would be relevant to mention, and that he wouldn't speak of the concept from a distance. It is also straightforward to think that SM Looker is the same one that we saw in XY.

ORAS Looker is most likely a Faller since he clearly has no memories. The Mega Stone may make it seem like he belongs to the "Mega" universe, but remember that at the time we see him in ORAS, Hoenn is still drenched in natural energy that is creating lots of new Mega Stones all across the region. He could simply have happened to have a regular stone in his pocket at the time, which may have soaked up some of that energy upon his emergence from the wormhole (yet another potent source of energy that it would have been exposed to) and become an Audinite. And of course, there is also the other possibility that he comes from a different universe in which Mega Evolution exists. Depending on one's idea of the multiverse, there could be innumerable universes out there, some of which would feature Mega Evolution and some of which would not.

Thanks @Esserise! So are you saying that the Looker in SM and XY is different from the Looker in ORAS? What happened to the Looker in ORAS then? Also what about the Looker in Plat and BW?

So are you saying that the Looker in SM and XY is different from the Looker in ORAS?

Correct. XYSM Looker is native to the “Mega” universe, whereas ORAS Looker most likely came from another universe via an Ultra Wormhole.

What happened to the Looker in ORAS then?

We don’t really know. It remains to be seen if that cameo was meant to set up future storylines, or if it was merely an Easter egg that they decided to squeeze in during the development of SM.

Also what about the Looker in Plat and BW?

Well, I can see two possible scenarios:

1. ORAS Looker is the Looker from PtBW, who at some point after leaving Unova fell into a wormhole and got flung through time and space all the way into the Megaverse.

2. ORAS Looker is from some other universe, and PtBW Looker is fine and going about his own business.

Given that they’ve been playing up the relationship between the Megaverse and the universe of the older games, I think Scenario #1 is more likely what they had in mind, although it is slightly more convoluted.

I kinda love how the first notes of wormholes appeared a few games ago. Also Looker is a character that kinda made us know about fallers.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom