• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking for Advice for my SM Team

Tea & Scones

Debate Artist
Reaction score
So I'm trying to create a team in Sun and Moon for OU, and the battle tree. I am aminly looking for more suggestions for my team, and improvements for the current pokemon. The only Pokemon I'm really set on keeping in the team is Suicune.

Suicune
Leftovers
Modest
Pressure
252 HP/252 SPATK/4 SPDEF
Ice Beam
Scald
Calm Mind
Substitute

Suicune is basically the stalling point of my team. I chose this set because Scald has a burn chance and is a reliable STAB move, and kept Ice Beam to deal with Grass Types. It''s a pretty standard Suicune set, and I musch prefer this set to the Rest Suicune set.

Garchomp
Life Orb
Adamant
Sand Veil*
252 ATK/ 4 DEF/ 252 SPEED
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast

Garchomp is my main physical attacker, used primarily to stop the pesky Togedemaru and other electric pokemon, while having the capacity to set up spikes.

Talonflame
Flyium Z
Adamant
Gale Wings
252 HP/ 252 ATK/ 4 SPEED
Brave Bird
Roost
Flare Blitz
U-Turn

While Talonflame isn't particularly special, it's niche 190 BP Z-Move that is boosted by priority can be quite useful. Although Gale Wings has been nerfed, Talonflame still has 2 turns of priority which normally allows it to take down other pokemon. Maximum HP investments is just in case Talonflame gets the chance for another round at Brave Bird.

Pokemon That I can't use in OU:
Metagross (Mega)
Metagrossite
Adamant
Tough Claws
252 HP/252 ATK/ 4 DEF
Power-up Punch
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt

Metagross is my mega for now until I have access to the galladite, but offers reliable power and coverage none the less. I normally try to obtain a chance for Metagross to get a few Power-up Punches, and then use priority Bullet Punch most of the time. I would be willing to consider a better Mega.
As a side note, I am happy to switch out Mega Metagross for Aegislash in Sun and Moon, but Aegislash is banned from OU. Aegislash would be a normal Aegislash set, as it doen't take much to use the pokemon. I just wanted to know your thoughts on Aegislash in Sun and Moon.

I'm mainly lookinf for the weaknesses in my team, and suggestions for pokemon that could help improve the team, both for the OU metagame, and the SM metagame. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
THAT SUICUNE IS A WIZARD! IT HAS 756EV POINTS! :p
Anyway, typoes aside. The main weakness I really see is the giant amount of Adamant natures. So, no special attackers, with the exception of Suicune, which would probally benefit a bit more on having a Bold or Calm nature.
I'd say that Sand Veil is not a good ability to have on Garchomp, as Rough Skin punishes other physical attackers. Unless you are against a person like me, who uses a Protective Pad Mimikyu on their team.
You won't find many Protective Pads on your adventure, however, so you are probally fine.
Also, Fire Blast on Garchomp? That's an... interesting choice. I don't think there is too much that it would help with. Ice types, sure, but so would Iron Head. (I'm too lazy to correct the entire test, so I'm going to say on parenthesis: check Smogon, and sure enough, there is a set that recommends Fire Blast! For some reason... They themselves said that Fire Fang can do more damage, specially while boosting it with Swords Dance, so IDK)
I myself would also not use Life Orb on him... And would use something retarded/strange like a Red Card, though you don't have to do the same, you can do an actual good team :p
Aside from that, Jolly Natures on Garchomp, specially, would also help them, potentially. Unless you really want to surprise the opponente with 10% more damage from the Adamant nature.
So, yeah, all this, and put some more stuff that can special attack stuff effectivelly. That's my recommendation. Take it as a grain of salt, 'cause my strategies generally involve making the opponent thinking: "why is he using a Mudsdale against an Uber/actually good team?"

THAT SUICUNE IS A WIZARD! IT HAS 756EV POINTS! :p
Anyway, typoes aside. The main weakness I really see is the giant amount of Adamant natures. So, no special attackers, with the exception of Suicune, which would probally benefit a bit more on having a Bold or Calm nature.
I'd say that Sand Veil is not a good ability to have on Garchomp, as Rough Skin punishes other physical attackers. Unless you are against a person like me, who uses a Protective Pad Mimikyu on their team.
You won't find many Protective Pads on your adventure, however, so you are probally fine.
Also, Fire Blast on Garchomp? That's an... interesting choice. I don't think there is too much that it would help with. Ice types, sure, but so would Iron Head. (I'm too lazy to correct the entire test, so I'm going to say on parenthesis: check Smogon, and sure enough, there is a set that recommends Fire Blast! For some reason... They themselves said that Fire Fang can do more damage, specially while boosting it with Swords Dance, so IDK)
I myself would also not use Life Orb on him... And would use something retarded/strange like a Red Card, though you don't have to do the same, you can do an actual good team :p
Aside from that, Jolly Natures on Garchomp, specially, would also help them, potentially. Unless you really want to surprise the opponente with 10% more damage from the Adamant nature.
So, yeah, all this, and put some more stuff that can special attack stuff effectivelly. That's my recommendation. Take it as a grain of salt, 'cause my strategies generally involve making the opponent thinking: "why is he using a Mudsdale against an Uber/actually good team?"

Yeah just fixed the Suicune thing haha.
I wasn't sure what special attackers would work well with my team, but if you have any ideas, it'd be a great help.
Yeah I knew rough skin was better, but I've got to spend the time getting the HA in game to use it.
Fire Blast was just for the off chance it was facing a defensive tank, but I could use another move over it (like fire fang).
I've chosen Life orb for now, but if I had rough skin I would use Rocky Helmet.
Basically for Garchomp you think a set like this would work?:

Garchomp
Rocky Helmet
Jolly
Rouch Skin
252 ATK/ 4 DEF/ 252 SPEED
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast/ Fire Fang/ Poison Jab?

I threw poison jab in because that could be an interesting play, even if fire moves are better choices.

Thanks for the suggestions though, and if you feel like giving me an idea for a special attacker that you think would work, that would help a lot. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Garchomp is a sweeper, so not investing on Speed would kinda hurt. You can use an Assault Vest, if you really want to have your Garchomp surviving. Though that would mean removing Stealth Rock, of course.

Hi, welcome to the Battle Center! :D

I like the groundwork you've laid for your team so far. There are some things you should decide on though before you continue the teambuilding process, so that you can build your with some central goals in mind. In this case, do you want your Suicune to be a bulky wall to switch in and punish offensive threats, or use it as a set-up sweeper? Right now it seems to be trying to do a bit of both, so focusing on one role will make it much more effective. The same goes for your Garchomp. Do you want it to be a bulky tank or a fast, offensive threat? Likewise, your Talonflame is trying to recover, pivot, and attack all in the same set. Having goals about what you want your team to do (in other words, the win-conditions of your team) is an important first step of building a solid team, so that you can focus the rest of your decisions around how to support those win-conditions.

As for suggestions on special attackers, Tapu Koko, Gengar or Greninja would be good fits for what you have currently. Aegislash is great in the Battle Spot Singles meta so that's definitely a solid pick to go with. It also supports Mega-Gallade well if you end up going that route that in the future. You probably also want some form of hazard removal (like Excadrill, Starmie, or Forretress) and a wall to take a few hits (like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, or Tangrowth).

Garchomp is a sweeper, so not investing on Speed would kinda hurt. You can use an Assault Vest, if you really want to have your Garchomp surviving. Though that would mean removing Stealth Rock, of course.

Sorry that was meant to be Speed not Special Defence, I'll fix that up now. I'm not too worried about Garchomps bulk so I won't use an Assault vest. Thanks again!

Hi, welcome to the Battle Center! :D

I like the groundwork you've laid for your team so far. There are some things you should decide on though before you continue the teambuilding process, so that you can build your with some central goals in mind. In this case, do you want your Suicune to be a bulky wall to switch in and punish offensive threats, or use it as a set-up sweeper? Right now it seems to be trying to do a bit of both, so focusing on one role will make it much more effective. The same goes for your Garchomp. Do you want it to be a bulky tank or a fast, offensive threat? Likewise, your Talonflame is trying to recover, pivot, and attack all in the same set. Having goals about what you want your team to do (in other words, the win-conditions of your team) is an important first step of building a solid team, so that you can focus the rest of your decisions around how to support those win-conditions.

As for suggestions on special attackers, Tapu Koko, Gengar or Greninja would be good fits for what you have currently. Aegislash is great in the Battle Spot Singles meta so that's definitely a solid pick to go with. It also supports Mega-Gallade well if you end up going that route that in the future. You probably also want some form of hazard removal (like Excadrill, Starmie, or Forretress) and a wall to take a few hits (like Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, or Tangrowth).

I was thinking more set-up sweeper for Suicune, and Garchomp was meant to be an offensive threat. Talonflame's moves are more fillers as it doesn't normally last long, but given the chance I can U-Turn.

Protean or Battle Bond Greninja? I'm familiar with how to use Protean Greninja from back in the X and Y OU, but I'm unfamiliar with how Ash-Greninja Fares. The other two recommendations are good, but I've seen success with Greninja, so I'll stick with that for now.

I'll have to think about hazard removal, but even so I could still remove Talonflame, leaving me with two slots (My team would be Suicune, Garchomp, Greninja, and Toxapex - leaving 2 more(and losing the worry about entry hazards)). As for a defensive Tank, how about Toxapex? Thanks for replying as well!

I was thinking more set-up sweeper for Suicune, and Garchomp was meant to be an offensive threat. Talonflame's moves are more fillers as it doesn't normally last long, but given the chance I can U-Turn.

Protean or Battle Bond Greninja? I'm familiar with how to use Protean Greninja from back in the X and Y OU, but I'm unfamiliar with how Ash-Greninja Fares. The other two recommendations are good, but I've seen success with Greninja, so I'll stick with that for now.

I'll have to think about hazard removal, but even so I could still remove Talonflame, leaving me with two slots (My team would be Suicune, Garchomp, Greninja, and Toxapex - leaving 2 more(and losing the worry about entry hazards)). As for a defensive Tank, how about Toxapex? Thanks for replying as well!

In that case, it's better to focus Suicune's stats on speed and offense
Set #1: Offensive Sweeper
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Tailwind/Substitute
Set #2: Bulky Sweeper
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect
The first set is a simple set-up and sweep as fast as possible with as much damage as possible, while the other set focuses on slowly stalling out PP while also setting up more safely. In either case, max speed is important to be able to attack or set up Subs first, and Timid 252 Spe lets you outspeed neutral-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon.
Yeah I think offensive Garchomp is a good choice for this team
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab/Fire Fang/Rock Slide
A simple yet effective set that lets you set up Stealth Rocks on forced switches. Poison Jab for fairies/Tapus, Fire Fang for Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, and Rock Slide for flying types. Take your pick based on what you find your team struggling against. Swords Dance + Groundium Z is also a good option, but since we want to focus on Suicune as your set-up sweeper it's not necessary for this team.

Both Protean and Battle Bond are great sets in the metagame right now. The Protean set would probably go better with this team so as to not overlap with the other water type Suicune.
Set #1:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse/Low Kick/Rock Slide/U-turn

Set #2: If you don't want a mixed set or can't get a naive nature on Greninja
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump/Spikes/Hidden Power Fire
Ice Beam and Dark Pulse are fairly standard. The rest of the moves are easily interchangeable. Gunk Shot for fairies/Tapu Fini, Low Kick for Heatran/Tyranitar/Bisharp, Rock Slide for Charizard-Y/Gyarados/Volcarona, U-turn for pivoting, Extrasensory for Toxapex/Mega-Venasaur, Spikes to help Suicune sweep, HP fire for Ferrothorn/Scizor. Again, take your pick based on your team needs.

I agree that it might be best to replace Talonflame with something less frail. Suicune struggles against bulky water and grass types, so adding some Pokemon to help it deal with these threats would be good. Tapu Koko or Rotom-Heat are good special attackers that can help pivot in Suicune on a switch with Volt-Switch. Some other good choices are: Volcarona, Heatran, A-Marowak, Serperior, Thundurus, Tornadus, Gengar, or Zapdos.

As for walls/tanks, although Toxapex is a great wall, it'd put your team at 3 water types which is a bit overkill (unless it's a rain team). I think Ferrothorn would be a better fit because not only does it help deal with water and grass types for suicune, but can also help it sweep by setting up spikes and it completes the Fire/Water/Grass core of your team.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom