• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-h

That's not our problem at all. Our problem is the article is the same thing we've read on Bulbanews several times before and at this point it's just making this experiment into editorials counterproductive. We want to read things that interest us, not the same thing reiterated by a half-dozen different people.

If you're not satisfied with the current quality of editorials, why not submit one of your own? That's not meant to be a glib suggestion: you're evidently a very capable writer based on what I've read of your site, and I think something like an exploration of the PokeGod phenomenon would be of interest to plenty of readers.

Re: Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-h

Well, I'm a fan who doesn't really follow the community so I found it interesting to see how the others reacted to each new generation (registered a few seconds ago).

I personally agree with mr. GodofPH that more pokémon is always good news. I mean, there's 500+ pokes around by now and I'm not supposed to like all of them but in each generation I've always found some I really really liked. Despite the initial shock of not really liking idk, Empoleon for example, I got used to it and I know I'll grow up to the upcoming ones too after some epic in game battles. I'm really looking fortward the 5th gen by now.

And then, gen I & II were really great but maybe we can't enjoy their sucessors as much because we were younger at the time and everything had more magic in it. I still think it's weird how long Dialga's head can be, but my 8 years old cousin loves the beast just the way I thoght Mewtwo and Lugia were cool and he's probably going to be complaining about the looks of the legendaries of gen VIII or something.

Wouldn't this article have been better if it addressed the design-shift stemming from the replacement of the Designers versus a casual observation of the final result?
There's no mention that the designs are different because of who is in charge of creating the designs - nor a look at what's being drawn from as inspiration, or the background of the designers - what, if any, they worked on in the past that would reflect the current state of the designs.

HeartGold and SoulSilver- a return to form or a lazy rehash?

Generation III: Criticized too often?

Generation IV: A look back

Black & White; first impressions

At their most basic, each of these editorials are essentially comparing the newer generations to the older. Sometimes the older generations are treated favorably, sometimes not. Moreover, now counting this latest editorial, there appears to be a downward trend in the substance of the articles premiered: originally fairly intellectual and in-depth towards this final article that gets right to the point: a plain observation on things we all know.

I just want to read something more than this topic. Yeah, we get it, the older generations were good/bad and HeartGold and SoulSilver/Black and White have a lot riding on them. A lot more can be said about the Pokemon fandom and the franchise in general than this.

Im sorry,but I have to agree with this.There are lot,a lot of interesting things that can explored about the pokemon series and its fan community,remember the "origin of species" articles?Those are good columns,things that are interesting and obviously required effort.Or like that article about the theories of the fandom,we want more stuff like that,not the same old "Some people like this generation,this generation was bad,no we musnt say that one generation is bad!NO!WE MUST NOT EVEN TALK ABOUT IT" articles.

I say it because I care about the site.

If you're not satisfied with the current quality of editorials, why not submit one of your own? That's not meant to be a glib suggestion: you're evidently a very capable writer based on what I've read of your site, and I think something like an exploration of the PokeGod phenomenon would be of interest to plenty of readers.
That's an interesting suggestion. I'll have to to think about it. And thank you for checking out the site... Still a massive work in progress (should see some updates in the next week).

After reading the article and the posts in this thread, I still don't get why its such a big deal. If an article seems like something that would interest you, you don't have to read it do you?

After reading the article and the posts in this thread, I still don't get why its such a big deal. If an article seems like something that would interest you, you don't have to read it do you?

No,but I have the right to say it isn't interesting don't I?Thats the function of the forums,if people don't say their opinion,then the site will never improve,and will stop growing.We as users don't want that,do we?

I thought the article was a good sum up of the whole Gen war thing.

Just to say, I've been with Pokemon since Gen 1, and Gen 5 is shaping up to be my favourite thus far. I just love all the new graphic stuff. Moving sprites FTW!
:)
I still don't understand people who say "THERE ARE ONLY 151 POKEMON". These kind of fans act as if the new Pokemon "erase" the old ones from existence. They don't; the old favourites still exist, so they are there; not forgotten. (And they never will be!)

Duskull is considered gritty and extreme? :0

Also, I don't get why Probopass is always singled out in discussions like this. It's an evolution for a relatively weak one-stage Pokemon that makes since both logically and thematically.

I think what it meant was how Pokemon looked slightly more realistic and more detailed. Try comparing some of the sprites, in Gen 4 they attempted to revert back to the cartoonish Pokemon.

Btw, love the last line lolz. PMD <3

love this article, pokémon fans!
lol oil spill jokes.

Well, I am sad to hear people underestimating the designs of newer Pokemon based on their evolution of details and origins, and them passing those as a rip-off of a competition franchise, as it they lost the will to respect new Pokemon.

Anyway, I guess it would be nice to hear an unbiased view of the new generation from a long-time fan.

Anyway, I guess it would be nice to hear an unbiased view of the new generation from a long-time fan.

Thank you! I decided to approach this column with an unbiased view on my subjects because opinions are being tossed every which direction in message boards everywhere on the internet, and I thought the new generation deserved a neutral perspective until we, you know, actually get to play it.

I can understand people being frustrated with a topic that has been hit so many times:

Quote:
"Originally Posted by SmearglePaints
HeartGold and SoulSilver- a return to form or a lazy rehash?

Generation III: Criticized too often?

Generation IV: A look back

Black & White; first impressions

At their most basic, each of these editorials are essentially comparing the newer generations to the older. Sometimes the older generations are treated favorably, sometimes not. Moreover, now counting this latest editorial, there appears to be a downward trend in the substance of the articles premiered: originally fairly intellectual and in-depth towards this final article that gets right to the point: a plain observation on things we all know.

I just want to read something more than this topic. Yeah, we get it, the older generations were good/bad and HeartGold and SoulSilver/Black and White have a lot riding on them. A lot more can be said about the Pokemon fandom and the franchise in general than this"

It is true that a website will not improve if the faults are not expossed, but understand that there are many people like me who have never read any of these articals before. This topic may be old, but this is the first one that I have ever read on the subject for two reasons that many other people also have:

1: I don't visit Bulbapedia very often and the only articals and editorials that I have read are the ones that were on the main page the days that I happened to visit the website.

2: I don't go looking for articals on this topic; I see them only when advertised and I clicked on the link out of curiosity.

What I'm trying to get at is that even if this was a copy and paste of "Generation III: Criticized too often?", it would be new to me and probably many other people who happen to see this artical on the main page. I can understand that it bugs other people who have read about this subject dozens of times, but I thank GodofPH for writing this artical because this is exactly the kind of thing that I want to show my friend who says that Pokemon gets worse every generation. I can show him the responses to the artical that show all sorts of views from both sides.

And I couldn't have done this if this artical wasn't written, nor would I have heard all of the excellent responses on this forum if it didn't exsist.

Oh, and SmearglePaints, GodofPH did you a huge favor; your website was advertised to everyone who read this artical; I wouldn't have ever gone there if GodofPH hadn't written this artical.

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON! :)

Oh, and SmearglePaints, GodofPH did you a huge favor; your website was advertised to everyone who read this artical; I wouldn't have ever gone there if GodofPH hadn't written this artical.

EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON! :)
lol. That's an interesting way to look at it. Feel free to VM if you have anything to say about my site. :)

And to reiterate, I don't hate the article by any means. It was a good read. I always enjoy reading someone else's perspective, even on the same subject, but when looking at the site's direction in this area I think more can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom