• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-hard

Welcome to Looking Forward- a new weekly column where I will be evaluating and speculating on news about the upcoming fifth Generation of Pokémon, from the perspective of a fan who’s been there since the days of Red and Blue.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-h

Duskull is considered gritty and extreme? :0

Also, I don't get why Probopass is always singled out in discussions like this. It's an evolution for a relatively weak one-stage Pokemon that makes since both logically and thematically.

Re: Looking Forward: Generational Rot: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-h

Just more of the same typical ranting Bulbapedia seems to think is important. Anyone can write that kind of stuff, yet I've yet to see anything intellectual that considers Pokemon outside a fan-perspective.

Just more of the same typical ranting Bulbapedia seems to think is important. Anyone can write that kind of stuff, yet I've yet to see anything intellectual that considers Pokemon outside a fan-perspective.

Real life Newspapers publish editorials all the time, even controversial ones. Bulbanews is merely publishing one.

Also, at the top of the page it says this:
This is a column written by Pat Hessman.
This article does not necessarily reflect the views of Bulbagarden Networks

I'm aware. You'd just think that if Bulbapedia were to be publishing articles they'd at least be interesting and not the same thing people whine about on the forums. I've seen this exact issue covered at least twice before.

It may surprise you to know Smeargle that the vast majority of Pokémon fans who visit Pokémon websites never register on any of the forums, and in a large number of cases never read them either.

It may surprise you to know Smeargle that the vast majority of Pokémon fans who visit Pokémon websites never register on any of the forums, and in a large number of cases never read them either.

Myself being one of them. I was putting this out for the people who stop by Bulbapedia to search for something they need to know but aren't there to discuss things.

Part of what makes Bulbagarden different from a lot of the other large Pokemon sites is that we're community oriented. That means you can write a column about your ideas and publish your ideas so that the community can read and talk about them. News is news, you can get the exact same story from any Pokemon site that's on top of things, and there are a lot of them. Community-submitted content is why Bulbanews is special, and we have no reason to get rid of it.

I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying put up things that are unique and come from a new perspective. This is the third "article" I've seen put up so far that discusses whether the Pokemon are bad or not. It's a tired topic. Put up something about beta information or experiences with the PokeGods or the effects competitive battling has had on the main series... Something interesting for once.

Seemed like just another rant about how the newer designs are terrible compared to the originals.

How many times do we have to read this?

Seemed like just another rant about how the newer designs are terrible compared to the originals.

Seems more like the opposite opinion to me. It reads more like Hessman is lamenting the fact that people think the newer designs are terrible.

Seems more like the opposite opinion to me. It reads more like Hessman is lamenting the fact that people think the newer designs are terrible.

"Ruby and Sapphire being mentioned on the forums causes flamewars" and, "The Hoenn Pokemon look like Digimon" doesn't exactly seem like he's defending the newer designs.

Hoenn Pokemon are not "the new designs" anymore, Sinnoh and Isshu Pokemon are the new designs.

Hoenn Pokemon looking like Digimon is an observation. For all we know, he loves how Digimon look.

Ruby and Sapphire causing flamewars is a fact, not a reflection of personal opinion. You can't honestly say that Generation III is not the most controversial Generation among the fans, no matter how you feel about it.

you need to completly read the ENTIRE article he's giving examples of things people normally complain about he isnt saying its bad or good he's just giving examples about how every one finds stuff to rant about kinda like you guys right now so stop your not helping

Hoenn Pokemon are not "the new designs" anymore, Sinnoh and Isshu Pokemon are the new designs.

For some reason no matter how old Hoenn is now, people always consider it, "new."

It really is shocking when you realize R/S came out in 2002, over 8 years ago. And people still talk about Hoenn as if its, "new."

To me the general subject is old hat. Whether he's outright saying the "new" Pokemon are uncreative or not, or simply commenting that this is general opinion is nothing new... We all know this. It was an enjoyable read, as perspectives from other long-time fans always is, but the subject is just long overdone.

what i dont get is why people insist on saying the original poke mon are unique we have a pokeball and a upside down poke ball

then theres the rhydon family minus rhyperior and the nidos
both completely original neither unique the nidos get off for bing different genders in a genderless time but rhyhorn and rhydon are just rock/grond versions of the 2nd and 3d stage nidos

then in the 3rd gen came aggron and his family which by the way is a badass

all based on a rhyno and dino as you can see

wrongz.png

Last edited:

I'd like to believe that Rhypheior's existance is due to the fact that they wanted to give an awesome ability (Solid Rock) to the Rhydon family... but it already has two abilities to choose from (Rock Head and LightingRod).

Rather then rework the entire ability system, (since they've "perfected" the game's coding in the 3rd gen already) They just decided to slap an evolution onto Rhydon.

Anyway, it wasn't like Rhydon was a top-tier monster anyway. That crippling weakness to Grass and Water practically undermined it's ability to tank. It also goes with the "tradition" of giving popular monsters a new member to work with.

But yeah, the article could be sumed up to "Pokémon fans are whiny bleeders that are never happy". Also said arguement is old hat and we really should move on.

I'd also like to add that Generetion II wasn't so hot with it's new additions to families either... Who the hell uses Politoed, Slowking and Bellossom over Poliwrath, Slowbro and Vileplume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom