• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking Forward: The Stuff of Legends: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-h

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Looking Forward: The Stuff of Legends: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-hard

If the White Yin and the Black Yang Pokémon are going to be above the creator of the world (and possibly the universe), where does it all stop?

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Looking Forward: The Stuff of Legends: Outlook and speculation from a life long d

I like the idea of a back-and-forth dialogue, though a limitation on how long said dialogue can go on bothers me. Looking forward to potentially arguing/discussing a subject with you.

I've thought a lot about the legendary Pokemon. Coming from a fan that dropped out of the fandom in the very first months of Ruby and Sapphire's early coverage, I hated the new legends. It was only after months of discussion with SailorClef did I come to appreciate them. I have my own standards of what defines and differentiates the legendary Pokemon.

All are in their own class and can be appreciated for what they offer. Arceus was not the be-all-end all Pokemon, and now Reshiram and Zekurom aren't either. All that's being done to the mythology of the game is expansion. The original Red and Green versions were held back so much, and even the Gold and Silver versions were. Game Freak is simply trying to create a world on par with our own. Whether or not this is the world Tajiri intended or a world we would want to live in, it's certainly a step towards a much deeper Pokemon world. A world I'd like to explore.

Re: Looking Forward: The Stuff of Legends: Outlook and speculation from a life long d

I adore the use of TV Tropes in a lot of the articles. It makes me feel not so alone.

Honestly, the escalating legendaries concern me too. They're going to run out eventually. It's not like this is Final Fantasy and we're going to have Generation XXX. (Yes, I did that on purpose. Now just think of what Gen XXX would be like. THINK ABOUT IT.)

/dumb

We dont necessarily need to make more and more powerful beings with each generation, rather, expand into lesser known territories that arent exactly up to par with the "gods of time and space" or yin and yang.

I adore the use of TV Tropes in a lot of the articles. It makes me feel not so alone.
I enjoy TV Tropes myself but I find the overuse of its terminology in various fan communities to be evidence of a lack of individual thought among the fandoms. I find it especially indicative of the presence of an overall group-think that articles and dialogues rely heavily on outside terminology rather than individual perception.

Honestly, the dialogue did nothing for me. I feel like it simply took away from space that could be used to discuss more things involving legendaries. Like the number we could possibly get. That escalating concerns me much more than the abilities of the legendaries themselves. 14 last generation was way to much. I would have liked that to have been discussed at least a bit.

With the dialogue, I felt that it simply took twice as long to say what could have been said in about 4 paragraphs. It didn't add anything at least in my reading.

One way to look at legendaries is this: remember that they are based off legends, and legends aren't necessarily true. Each area has different legendaries, just like different cultures of the real world have different ideas on how the world was created; but they can't all be true. I don't totally assume that Arceus created the Pokemon universe just because the games say that people believe that.
If you look at it this way, they can add as many legendaries as they want, and the legends can even conflict, but it doesn't matter because they're legends.

...the whole Ying and Yang thing will probably not even be above any creation. It will probably be on the souls of the living, like the goodness and hatred among us.

Short, sweet, and to the point!

Honestly, the dialogue did nothing for me. I feel like it simply took away from space that could be used to discuss more things involving legendaries. Like the number we could possibly get. That escalating concerns me much more than the abilities of the legendaries themselves. 14 last generation was way to much. I would have liked that to have been discussed at least a bit.

With the dialogue, I felt that it simply took twice as long to say what could have been said in about 4 paragraphs. It didn't add anything at least in my reading.

For the record, this was very much experimental, and I knew we wouldn't present a flawless product when I came to Pat with the idea. We ended it early in attempt to keep the piece from being too long-winded. Of course, comments like these are something I appreciate. So thanks.

@YeOldeJacob, I see you're a true Wes Anderson Fan! Nice to see someone here is :)

On topic: I don't see why we can't go down from Arceus, people wouldn't have to have something bigger everytime. IMO Reshiram and Zekrom are one...stage? below Arceus. Arceus is the deity, and they are slightly lower than him. Then of course would come the dragon trio, then mew maybe, and so on.

I'm confused.

Isn't Mew the creator of all Pokémon ?:-/

Scientists examining your DNA and finding intriguing discoveries linking you as the ancestor of all Pokemon doesn't make it the creator.

Personally under the impression it's a cosmic floppy disc.

YOJ said:
I don't feel that to look all-powerful the subject has to be exceptionably large or have a multitude of gaudy physical features. The latter not existing in Reshiram's and Zekrom's designs is something I've already become somewhat fond of.

Really? You don't see all that junk tacked onto Reshiram and Zekrom? Because I see a ton of it.

That hasn't stopped them from growing on me, but still...

At least that one trailer showed that their tails glow with energy when they charge up an attack. That makes it a little better too.

Arceus was not the be-all-end all Pokemon, and now Reshiram and Zekurom aren't either.

Awwww. I've influenced somebody to spell it with a U.

That being said:

GodofPH, AKA Pat Hessman, is a student at Montana State University and writer for the MSU Exponent. He has a blog, Raptor Rants, and will be distributed over WiFi from July 31st through August 27th.

That certainly is quite the LOL.

Scientists examining your DNA and finding intriguing discoveries linking you as the ancestor of all Pokemon doesn't make it the creator.

Personally under the impression it's a cosmic floppy disc.

I've actually theorized about this. It's my idea that Mew was one of the creations of Arceus, who were a special race of beings tasked with creating and spreading life forms throughout the Earth.

Silly people, you guys have forgotten who the true creators of the Pokémon world are.

What I'm saying is that they'll add more and more of them as long as Pokémon remains profitable. Plus they aren't above contradicting themselves if they have an awesome idea they want to use (Such as the true origin of Pokémon and the world actually is).

If you think about it, they can go backwards. HG/SS had Ho-oh and Lugia and it came after arceus in pokemon series time and real time. And Arceus' description isn't God pokemon, and is based off of Japaneese beliefs, and is not necessarily GOD. Mew is a good example, and almost seems like how scientists like darwin found how we came from monkeys, which is he belief of scientists. I would like to see at least one game in the future involving debates between different religions of pokemon creation stories, which could make Pokemon a much more real franchise. Depending what Issu is based off of, like America or Europe, thay could totally change it up, starting all over and having new pokeymon creating even the land sea and sky. I think the idea of mythology too, and I think after having explored all of the world, they could even go back in time like they breifly did in the Arceus movie, and do Greek gods. The series has a lot more room to explore and has so far only catered to older Japanese beliefs mostly, so they might get to generation XII.:dizzy:

What I'm saying is that they'll add more and more of them as long as Pokémon remains profitable. Plus they aren't above contradicting themselves if they have an awesome idea they want to use (Such as the true origin of Pokémon and the world actually is).

Which is why I'm a fan of Pokemon at a base level. There are places I'd like to see them go, but I fully understand money dictates direction in Pokemon's case.

Which is why I'm a fan of Pokemon at a base level. There are places I'd like to see them go, but I fully understand money dictates direction in Pokemon's case.
Whaaaaaat??!

Don't be misled. Money is great, but I doubt those working on the games let that guide their methods. That's something the big-wigs on the level of major game corporations do (I.E. the people heading companies like Activision and E.A.). Any game creator, designer, what-have-you will tell you that the passion is in creating the game. For Pokemon, money is certainly the clincher that -enables- them to continuously make the games, but dollars to donuts that's not why they stay in the business.

Why are there so many legends? I'll tell you my simple assumption. It's because of great ideas. Lots of times in game development (early game development), you run up against constraints. Ideas come and go all the time. They're constantly being fed into the thinktank and get thrown out just as quickly. My guess is that Game Freak, when designing each new iteration, wants to include as many cool and fun ideas as possible. Because of time, money, and other such things, they can't keep 'em all, but definitely try to keep as many as they feasibly can in.

I think DPPt was just one of those fortunate times in which everything was given the Green Light. The mythology EXPLODED. And for better or worse, we got the most legends ever in one generation.

I'm not entirely sure that Zekrom and Reshiram ARE more powerful than Arceus... All we really have is their designs and the obvious Yin/Yang theme. This doesn't make them more powerful than Arceus...
They could be anything from representations of Life and Death, or Night and Day, or Good and Evil. They don't necessarily need to be forces which gave rise to Arceus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom