• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Looking Forward: Three on Three: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Looking Forward: Three on Three: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-har

I hope he isn't serious.

Sigh...it was a joke. Look at last week's column, and my About Me claimed I was in a rehab clinic for a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Re: Looking Forward: Three on Three: Outlook and speculation from a life long die-har

Sigh...it was a joke. Look at last week's column, and my About Me claimed I was in a rehab clinic for a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
That's an awesome game, its perfectly understandable for it to make you an addict.

That's an awesome game, its perfectly understandable for it to make you an addict.

I say start a support network.

3-on-3 battles seem like a cool idea, I hope it turns out well.

GodofPH, AKA Pat Hessman, is a student at Montana State University and writer for the MSU Exponent. He has a blog, Raptor Rants, and is currently drafting legislation dictating the death penalty for attempted suicide.

No.

"Jokes" like this are not funny. Period. You go through learning a former teacher, who you worked on two plays and took two classes with, has just thrown himself off a building, you watch as people you care about talk about wanting to die, you come back to me and tell me if that's "funny".

Last edited:

No.

"Jokes" like this are not funny. Period. You go through learning a former teacher, who you worked on two plays and took two classes with, has just thrown himself off a building, you watch as people you care about talk about wanting to die, you come back to me and tell me if that's "funny".

Aren't you supposed to have ragequit the site?

...oh yeah, the article. >_> It pretty much states the obvious, really. Double battles in this generation are Earthquake centric, and unless some really awesome alternative stuff comes up, it'll just be more of the same with this. But yes, it's also right in saying how we will wait to see it...even though it's safe to make assumptions at this point. :p It just seems like a gimmick compared to the double battles, but hey! We shall soon find out the truth!

It won't be a gimmick as soon as the competitive battling community starts using it. Then there will be a huge flood of new triple battle strategies involving Pokemon Placement.

It won't be a gimmick as soon as the competitive battling community starts using it. Then there will be a huge flood of new triple battle strategies involving Pokemon Placement.

And therein lies the problem.

Would my Pokemon look better here?

....Hmmm, or maybe over here?

The color on this side really brings out its eyes.... but I like the decor more on this side.

Oh gosh darn it! If only I had some tips and tricks on how to make the best out of my Pokemon Placement!

And therein lies the problem.

There's a problem with the competitive battling community wanting to get the most out of a feature?

No, it means that the problem is that triples will not become hugely popular within the comeptitive battling community.

Frankly, I can picture Triple Battles being a great deal more innovative than Double Battles. For instance: sure, you can bring out your sweeper and have them try to KO all three of your opponent's Pokemon with Earthquake. But to do that, it'll have to be in the middle, which will expose it to being ganged up on. To me, this has the potential for much more strategy than Double Battles (and Double Battling does have its own strategies, despite not being as popular competitively).

I always loved Doubles. In Emerald, I battled every pair of battles that could double up as a Double Battle. Skill Swap + Slaking= Ownage.

I can see this happening

"PKM trainer sent out salamance, garchomp, and dragonite

you sent out typhlosion,flyGon,nidoking/aggron

opponent's garchomp used earthquake; typhlosion fainted, flygon isnt affected, nidoking fainted,

flygon shits himself, trys to use blizzard but misses

gets hit by double outrage!'

EDIT: hey maybe levitate will finally get some respect!

Last edited:

EDIT: hey maybe levitate will finally get some respect!

There's also that new ability called "Telepathy" in which if you use a Pokémon that knows a certain move that also hits you ally, they know to get out of the way.

There's also that new ability called "Telepathy" in which if you use a Pokémon that knows a certain move that also hits you ally, they know to get out of the way.

that sounds really cool does it work for both teamates or just one

i might finally have a reason to use tailwind and other moves that boost your entire team for a few turns

No.

I agree. I found that "joke" in very poor taste.

I have no problems with these types of articles, but there was barely any speculation, if any, and there was nothing unique or interesting about the person's outlook on triple battles, to be honest.

I agree the joke at the end was in poor taste, but let's not over-exaggerate about it, either. Many other people have done much worse. You want to see how offensive people can be? Watch South Park.

The joke wasn't the worst, most offensive that could be made, but it's completely irrelevant. A Pokemon joke or no joke at all.

I could also go either way on the three on three.

Like what's been said over and over, unless there's some changes to stuff like Surf and Earthquake which could just decimate an entire team (depending on type and such) in a single turn, it would almost be pointless to add.

To integrate it in a really viable fashion would almost require a total overhaul of the entire combat system. I.e. making abilities, such as earthquake, able to be used on 1 or 3 opponents and splitting up the damage, addition of abilities/items that can heal/buff/etc the entire group, among other things.

There would also be a need for allowing more than 4 abilities, in my opinion. The limit of 4 may be fine for 1v1 or even 2v2 fights, but if 3v3 fights are going to become more prominent, you need an entirely different set of skills to be used in a "group" confrontation compared to 1on1.

I'd also like to see this sort of multiple enemy encounter move beyond just trainer battles if they are going to do it at all. Many wild pokemon have a pack/swarm/clutch/etc mentality, it would make sense for them to travel and attack in groups. Admittedly this could get somewhat repetitive since all it would do is force you to fight 3 Rattatas instead of 1, but it would show integration of the idea.

Also, I would think it would require an increase in the number of Pokemon you can carry, possibly up to 8 or even 10. Currently you can carry 6 and as you get further into the game you, or at least I, tend to find one Pokemon I can load down with HMs which basically makes them useless as a combatant but allows them to deal with all the environmental effects. So, in a 3v3 more than half of my active battle party is on the field. There's also the issue that most trainers, I'd assume, carry a variety, but enemy trainers don't. You'll likely face a trainer(s) who uses 3 of the same type which could leave you a distinct disadvantage if you have a party that is, over all, weak to said type. One could say you should prepare ahead of time, but in general the random trainer encounters are, well, random. There may be an overlying theme within an area, but often they are very diverse.

So in the end, it opens up a lot of potential but the current Pokemon battle system was not built with the intent of having more than one on the field. It would require a lot of changes to the system to make this addition really interesting and exciting, rather than a complicated nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom